MWL - Why eat starches at all?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MWL - Why eat starches at all?

Postby Klonoah » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi, I'm new here but I've been eating starch based for a few months now and absolutely loving it! I tell everyone I know about McDougall's starch solution and am hugely grateful to him and Jeff Novick for the simple meal plans; eating this way has finally released me from food addiction and overeating, THANK YOU if either of you read this :D :D

I want to lose about 10kg/22lb in body weight, I'm not as active as I should/could be and my TDEE is pretty low, so I'm just wondering, why eat starches at all for maximum weight loss? Would it be better to eat only fruit and veggies since they are more satiating for less calories? Maybe I'm overthinking it, I was just thinking you could eat tons of veggie soup/stew if you didn't eat starches :-)
Klonoah

Re: MWL - Why eat starches at all?

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Starches are the key to satiety. Veggies are filling, but have a high percentage of water, and are too low in calories. You can try it for a meal - have a salad of just veggies, and you’ll get hungry in short order. People who eat veggie and fruit based diets eat lots of nuts and dried fruit because otherwise the diet is not calorically sufficient.

Jeff has a really well-written article about it, but I can’t find it at the moment.

Side note, starches are cheap. I can eat 3 lbs of starches at $1/lb, but to get enough calories of broccoli I would need 20 lbs. At the same $1/lb, that’s a lot more money.

Just eat a healthy diet. You’ll automatically be at a healthy weight. It won’t happen over night, but it will happen. Good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Klonoah » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:17 am

Thanks Lyndzie! Appreciate you taking the time to reply and you raise some excellent points. In fact I did try having a veggie stew for lunch - the most hugest veggie-packed bowl ever, aaaaaaand yeah hungry 2 hours later :lol: I had wholewheat pasta and veg for dinner and feeling much better already.

I think I found the article you mention!!
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22432&p=217427
Mr Novick is a wizard, I swear, I never would have thought of water percentages etc. This info is GOLD! Thanks for that and I'm so glad I found the starch solution hidden amidst all the low-carb paleo keto trendy stuff!

P.S. Yes, starches are beautifully cheap! My food budget decreased 30% (with no conscious effort on my part) since going whole food plant based - nice unexpected bonus! :-D
Klonoah

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 am

Great! That article is so good, glad you found it.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program