MWL Compliant Treats for PMS Cravings

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MWL Compliant Treats for PMS Cravings

Postby taymariekay » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been perusing the forums and getting lots of help and ideas. Something I've noticed that I struggle with is pretty intense cravings right before my period that completely knock me off my game. It's either cravings for fatty/salty things or chocolate sugary things.

Does anyone have some healthy MWL friendly vice that helps them stay somewhat compliant without completely going off the rails? I really went rogue on the sugar the past few days due to PMS :crybaby: And it's funny because the moment I start my period, it's as if all the cravings fade away and I'm fine again emotionally and everything. Sorry for the TMI :)

Something that I like is oatmeal with cocoa and date sugar, but I think even date sugar can be too rich and cause me to want to eat lots of it. Would like to stay as MWL compliant as possible when making replacements.

Thanks so much everyone!
taymariekay

Re: MWL Compliant Treats for PMS Cravings

Postby Idgie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:10 pm

For me, it's sweet potatoes and potatoes, in that order. When I'm having PMS cravings, I use salt on them because it makes them feel more "snacky," even though I don't usually need salt to love those items.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:22 pm

First, I’m posting the guidelines just to make sure anyone who comes across this post knows what MWL entails:

1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

For me, I had to avoid ALL sugar to eliminate cravings. That means no store bought ketchup or marinara, none on oatmeal, etc. But if you cut that stuff out early in the month, you’ll be better able to deal when that time of the month strikes.

Have you tried chocolate nice cream? I think it counts as MWL compliant. 2 frozen ripe bananas, plus 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder. Whiz it up in a food processor and dig in.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby taymariekay » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:50 pm

Lyndzie wrote:First, I’m posting the guidelines just to make sure anyone who comes across this post knows what MWL entails:

1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

For me, I had to avoid ALL sugar to eliminate cravings. That means no store bought ketchup or marinara, none on oatmeal, etc. But if you cut that stuff out early in the month, you’ll be better able to deal when that time of the month strikes.

Have you tried chocolate nice cream? I think it counts as MWL compliant. 2 frozen ripe bananas, plus 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder. Whiz it up in a food processor and dig in.

Lyndzie, you've been so helpful and kind. Thank you so much for posting this to clarify!! I do REALLY enjoy chocolate nice cream, but wasn't sure if it was MWL compliant. I am sure if it's just a couple bananas it would be fine even if it's processed? I think sometimes I can overdo it on the nice cream :-D

Good advice with staying away from sugar even from condiments, and cutting it out early on so I can be on a good stride before my period hits. I think I seem to be triggered by too much salt, too. If I can stay compliant for as long as possible - as many days in a row, and hopefully more than 21 - I think I will be less prone to falling into some bad PMS cravings. I'm going to attempt to do a 21 day compliant streak so I can break free from my triggers.
taymariekay

Postby Willijan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:18 pm

I agree with having baked sweet potatoes as a dessert. Bake them until soft, then turn off the oven and leave them in there to caramelize further for several hours.

I am not on MWL. However, I did have sugar cravings when I went on this diet. What helped me was eating desserts made with dates, instead of sugar or date sugar. Dates are not allowed on MWL. But it would be better than eating sugar, so I am posting this.

I have revised the McDougall Pumpkin Cupcakes so that the main ingredients are oatmeal, pumpkin, chopped apples, and dates, instead of flour, sugar, molasses, soy milk, applesauce, nuts, and pumpkin. I make it as a cake. It is delicious. In case you want the recipe:

Place 22 dates in a 2 cup measure, Cover with water, heat in microwave, and allow to soak for about 15 minutes. Drain, and reserve the soaking water.

Add the drained dates to a food processor, along with:
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 lg. diced apple (1 1/4--1 3/4 cup)
1 3/4 cup regular oatmeal
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
about 1/2 cup date soaking water, or more if needed

Process until combined. I try to leave some chunks if possible. Line an 8 x 8" baking pan with parchment paper. Add batter to the pan. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes, or longer, depending on how dry you like it. Store covered in refrigerator.
Willijan

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 pm

I'm not 100% if nice cream is part of MWL or not, to be honest, but if it's that or Ben and Jerry's, it's pretty obvious which is the better choice. And, MWL recommends limiting fruit to two servings a day. I find that if I can get three days of avoiding sweets under my belt then I'm fine, it's just a matter of finding out the tricks that work for you to get through those three days.

Recently Jane Esselstyn posted a chocolate broiled bananas recipe. That might help you through the tough spots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNPEnEy-viQ

Good luck! It's all about building new healthy habits. You got this.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program