June 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:14 pm

Midnight - It should be down next week; you are doing a good job with the guidelines. I have the same experience during that time of the month.

Shortnsweet - Ha! That’s awesome.

Spirit - I hope the vacation was wonderful. Best wishes this week getting right back on track.
amandamechele

Postby Belana » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:32 pm

Amy & Lindsey,
Lindsey, thank you for the maintenance group and Compliance of a Healthy Diet (COAHD) link. I’ve bookmarked the maintenance group and COAHD link. As soon as I hit my goal weight, I’ll join the maintenance group.
Amy, I am indeed eating until I’m satisfied, but I’ve also been adhering to some restrictions.
In regard to being strict, here’s what I mean:
I’ve been eating whole Romain hearts for snacks once a day; I’m definitely planning to 86 that! I measure one cup of rice to my veggie and bean ratio for cooked food, I almost never go out to eat; with the exception of a raw food place, that I've only been to a few times since being on MWL. I eat no fruit for snacks or dessert. For dinner, all I eat is salad, so I'll probably not be strict about that anymore.
Once I hit my goal weight, I’ll pretty much do all of your suggestions and drop the more ‘diety’ restrictions and strategies. I will also enjoy restaurants, but try to stay compliant while eating out.
I believe that’ll do the trick regarding maintenance. You’re right, I probably won’t lose anymore weight if I do all of that with one exception: I will drink an occasional glass of wine or cocktail, but since I haven't been drinking booze at all and feeling great, I'll be very much a tea-rototiller. :-D
Regarding feeling satisfied:
I’ve been so diligent eating like this, that it’s all I know. I seriously can’t imagine eating any other way. Lol. :mrgreen: I’m looking forward to nixing measuring my rice and not eating that cold lettuce snack anymore; unless I gain weight, then of course, I’ll revert to the ‘diety’ stuff to get ride of any unwanted lbs! 8)
I will also allow myself to snack on fruit, which will be a lot more pleasant than cold lettuce! :lol: However, potatoes will forever be my mainstay!
Thanks for all the great support! MWL group definitely makes the difference for me! :nod:
Belana

Postby laurag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:48 am

Hi everybody doing ok so far this week, not perfect I want to eat all the time but I am learning to focus on having the meals and a snack that really messes with me the snack like if I want to get rid of the problem of eating after dinner can I have a snack then, or does that make it harder to quit eating after maybe a healthy low calorie dense food but then its not satiating maybe easier to do just three meals. I have to get those veggies for snacking I think I didnt get that together. doing more walking yay hope everyone is doing good out there :)
laurag

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:16 am

Good morning!
I lost 2.0 lbs this week! :D
On vacation & traveling next 5-days, but we're staying at an airbnb so should be able to stay on plan. Fingers crossed I keep it together and get to report another loss next week!
Shortnsweet

Postby laurag » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:19 am

have fun shortnsweet, i didnt gain on my vacation its possible :) I focused on having fun more than food I still had amazing meals but did best I could sticking with plan.

I lost 1 pound, 153 now I am looking forward to 152
laurag

Postby cmwann » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:39 am

No celebrating for me this week :( Up one pound to 138.6. BUT I plan on living like this from now on (but more lenient once I'm at a healthier weight), so no big deal. Pretty sure it's all the fruit (SO many good ones in season now!), so I'll just try to watch that and get back to it! Have a great week, everyone!!
cmwann

Postby Belana » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:53 am

Hello MWL,
I've got a big food party tomorrow, but I'll try to eat compliantly as much as is realistic. I'm afraid I'm gonna eat pork, drink wine and probably eat dessert. Yum! :D
I've got 1.5 lbs to go to hit my goal weight, but I'm well aware that this party will set me back a week at least. Oh well. :roll:
Weight: 103.6
Loss: .5
Belana

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:02 am

Belana - Thanks for answering my questions. It sounds to me like you have a good plan for yourself and are also very sensitive to the feedback the scale gives you. With a little trial and error, you will find the right balance. I’m so glad you found the group helpful and supportive. That is why we are all here. Good loss this week, and best wishes at the party tomorrow. If you make a plan as to what is acceptable behaviour before you go then you are much less likely to go completely off the rails and have a to heck with it kind of night. You may decide something like: I am going to eat MWL compliant without worrying about the oil...or I am going to follow the regular McDougall program tonight. Also decide ahead of time what you will not do, such as, I will not eat anything with dairy. Let us know how it goes.

Laura, this is in response to your Wednesday post. :) How are you feeling now? You mention feeling like you want to eat all the time. This can occur for a few reasons. One is that you are not eating until satisfied, meaning restricting your portions. A second reason could be that, according to Dr. Lisle, we have a process of neuroadaptation that occurs when moving from a really high fat diet to a low fat diet. He has said it can take up to 4 months of very good compliance before your body recalibrates to feeling satisfied.
Here is a diagram of his that explains the neuroadaptation process more generally:
Stage I is when eating a natural diet provides an adequate amount of feelings of satisfaction. Stage II occurs when you move from healthy eating to junkier foods that give you that wow this is good feeling. Eventually you brain adapts to even these junkier, more stimulating food; Stage III a tolerance of sorts develops, where even stimulating foods begin to provide only a medium amount of satisfaction. Stage IV may be what you are going through now. You’ve moved to a healthier diet. It provides less zing, less get in my belly (say it like Chris Farley with a Scottish accent) reaction and therefore feels quite unsatisfying in comparison to junk foods or food very high in caloric density. Over time, thankfully, you will also neuroadapt to this, but back up to these foods feels adequately satisfying (Stage V). This is what Dr. Lisle refers to as the pleasure trap. In order to fade those types of cravings, that aren’t really hunger, it is important to avoid those particular foods to fade the memories of how much you enjoy them to a level that your reasoning/long term planning brain can withstand the slight nagging from the pleasure centres of your brain trying to convince you otherwise. The same is true for the nighttime eating. Fade those cravings by abstaining from eating after dinner. Overtime your mind will stop wasting its time producing those feelings because you haven’t given into them for so long. That’s when it will no longer feel effortful. Cutting veggies for snacks or eating fruit is a great idea; I have also found keeping a container of baked baby potatoes around quite helpful.
Congratulations on your loss this week, you are making great choices!

CmWann - We all have occasional weeks of ups and downs, even when following the guidelines really well. Dr. McDougall recommends 2 fruits a day while following MWL, but usually, unless you are eating extreme amounts of fruit, they wouldn’t really cause gains, just less of a loss or no loss. You are doing so well and I’m thrilled that you have decided that this is for life. That is a huge realization and is important for getting out of the diet mindset. Celebrate that this week by continuing to make even more good choices...LOL.

ShortnSweet - Excellent loss. My fingers are crossed for you, but with good planning you won’t need them. Best wishes and enjoy a healthy and happy vacation! Is it a road trip?
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:38 am

Hi everyone,
I wanted to check in without weighing. I’ll be back to my regular routine next week. I’ll be home where I have scales. I’ve had a three non-compliant meals this week but I’ve been able to get in 30 minute walks daily.

Good luck to everyone!
moonlight

Postby laurag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:33 am

thanku for amazing feedback love Chris Farley lol- I get that food craving now, I totally needed to hear that info, so having that handful of chips is not helping and I think when I understand why I feel the way I do about the cravings I feel so much better now I feel like I could stand up to them and be like"I know why u r here and I am not worried about u" I feel very confident lets see how it goes thanku so much for the empowerment :)
laurag

Postby amandamechele » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:44 am

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to check in this week! Congratulations on all of your good efforts towards your weight loss goals.

While we travel this weight loss journey together it’s important to know that, as Dr. McDougall says, the most important thing to get right is the food. This group puts a lot of focus on going over and reinforcing the MWL food guidelines, as well as learning strategies to implement them in the face of uncertain conditions. But, there are more steps one can take towards healthy, happy living and today I thought I would highlight a couple of resources that may add to your knowledge of ways to improve your wellbeing and personal life satisfaction.

Jeff Novick’s thread Triage Your Health Efforts: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is an excellent summary of where we should focus our efforts to maximize our health. Here is a list of the 5 Healthy Lifestyle Characteristics identified as most important in reducing early mortality:

1) Smoking: not smoking, including ex-smokers;

2) BMI: body mass index 18 to under 25 Kg/m2;

3) Diet: 3 or more portions of fruit &/or veggies/day was accepted as ‘healthy’, together with < 30% of calories from fat;

4) Physical activity: walking 2 or more miles to work each day, or cycling ten or more miles to work each day,

5) Alcohol: three or fewer units per day

Also be sure to read the post (in the same thread) in which Jeff selectively summarizes Dr. David’s Katz’s 6 key domains of importance to lifestyle medicine:
First, we cannot personalize care for genes and intestinal microbes, and leave out the person. So, the first tier of hierarchical personalization is holistic. I have the 6 key domains of importance to lifestyle medicine in mind: social connections and relationships; stress and mental health; sleep; toxic exposures (substances, chronic pain, harsh environments at work or home, etc.); physical activity; and dietary pattern. Fundamentally, we can’t hope to personalize care without knowing who a person is, in the context of their life.

The reason I was thinking about these other healthy lifestyle factors this week is because I recently finished reading a book called Why We Sleep** by Dr. Matthew Walker and I was trying to remember if sleep was listed as one of the 5 Healthy Lifestyle factors (It was talked about by Jeff here. :) ) Based on how much importance Dr. Walker places on getting enough sleep for good health I would like to share a guide that he draws from in the appendix of the book on tips to have a good night sleep put out by the National Institute of Health: A Good Night’s Sleep.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning a bit more about why we sleep and dream. I have heard Dr. Lisle discuss it in at least one interview which is available on YouTube I think (if anyone remembers which one, please feel free to link it).

And now I will take Dr. Walker’s advise and bid you all a good night! Best wishes for the coming week.

Sweet dreams,

Amy

** Here is an excellent op-ed/summary of the book by past BMJ editor Richard Smith: Why We Sleep: One of Those Rare Books that Changes Your Worldview and Should Change Society and Medicine.

Here are the results for the fourth week in June:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, July 5th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 311.72 pounds

June 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds

Week ending 06/28/2019: 6 participants reported a total loss of 1.9 pounds
---------------------------------------
Cmwann - 1.0
Spirit3330 - 0.6
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 1.6
--------------------------------------
ShortnSweet - 2.0
LauraG - 1.0
Belana - 0.5
Moonlight - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 3.5
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Week ending 06/28/2019: 6 participants reported a total loss of 1.9 pounds
Week ending 06/21/2019: 9 participants reported a total loss of 5.2 pounds
Week ending 06/14/2019: 6 participants reported a total loss of 4.3 pounds
Week ending 06/07/2019: 15 participants reported a total loss of 2.0 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby Spirit3330 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:47 am

Hi Amy.....sorry for the late post
I was up .6 ounces this week

Strangle enough, my pants and tops are fitting better as if I have lost inches.

I wish I had taken measurements early on
Spirit3330

Postby amandamechele » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:36 pm

[b]Laura[/b] - You’re welcome! :) Best wishes for the coming week.

[b]Moonlight[/b] - Thank you for checking in. How is your mum doing?

[b]Spirit[/b] - That’s awesome that your clothes are feeling looser. I’ll add you to the tally. See you next week!

I hope to see you all in the coming month! [url=https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59859#p602750] July 2019 Weigh In Thread[/url].

PS. I’m not sure what’s going on with the BB code. I’m going to leave it incorrect because I can’t see what I’ve done wrong and I’m missing too much of [i]The Princess Bride[/i] to want to figure it out.

Have a good night all!

Amy
amandamechele

Postby sirdle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:02 pm

amandamechele wrote:PS. I’m not sure what’s going on with the BB code. I’m going to leave it incorrect because I can’t see what I’ve done wrong and I’m missing too much of The Princess Bride to want to figure it out.

What!?! You don't have The Princess Bride memorized? What is wrong with you? LOL.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:04 pm

sirdle wrote:
amandamechele wrote:PS. I’m not sure what’s going on with the BB code. I’m going to leave it incorrect because I can’t see what I’ve done wrong and I’m missing too much of The Princess Bride to want to figure it out.

What!?! You don't have The Princess Bride memorized? What is wrong with you? LOL.

Cheers, :-P

Inconceivable, I know!

LOL

Amy
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program