June 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Belana » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:01 pm

Hello June MWL,
Weight today: 106.5
Loss: 2.2 lbs.
I've got 4.5 lbs left to go.
Belana

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm still here! Still on my weight loss journey too. Hard to say whether I have lost or not this past week. I would say the scale is trending very slowly downward-reached 1 pound lower number this past week a few times on the scale-it seems like a very sensitive and accurate scale? Hoping I can continue this trend-reach my goal sometime this summer-and then maintain it for life! I have started seed cycling for hormone health and that combined with this WOE plus eating for insulin resistance healing is I think making a difference in the beginnings of fat loss. Wishing everyone here health and happiness!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby LLP » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi all!

Oh my goodness that sabotaging cartoon :lol: :lol: :lol:

And...that is why I am posting a 1 pound gain :o :eek: :crybaby: I have been eating peanuts. Lots and lots of them. Gah!!

What does everyone do when you are trying to get rid of the high fat food? Do you just substitute volume for high fat cravings? Chew gum? Drink lots of water? I feel like such a wimp that I can't seem to get through even one day on MWL. :roll:

Liz
LLP

Postby anelson108 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:27 pm

Weigh-in today Fri., June 7, 2019: 192.8
Last weigh-in Fri., May 10, 2019: 191.4
Results: 1.4 pound gain
Total loss (since joining MWL): 11.8
Goal weight: 150 pounds (5' 6" height)
anelson108

Postby Idgie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Today's weight is 309.4 but it's that time of the month, so I don't trust it.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby NanaT » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:23 pm

How do I put my weigh in amount? I am new to this and can't find where to get started.
Thanks.
NanaT

Postby amandamechele » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Midnight - Yes, nice loss! Based on the fact that you made this a question rather than a statement, I gather that it still feels quite tentative. Keep making the choices that gave you that loss and slowly it will begin to feel like your new normal.

Dan - Wonderful! Have a great week too. See you next Friday. :)

Rick - Congratulations on your continued losses. I purchased a book for my daughter based on your recommendations in a thread in The Lounge area of the website. The first of the Trickster duet. I think she will love it.

Shell - I missed hearing from you last week, I’m so glad you are still with us. With a tough month ahead, the weighing yourself could be tricky if gains cause negative emotionality to affect future food decisions. This is ultimately up to you, but my suggestion is to take it one week at a time. Make a deal with yourself to weigh in next Friday and follow through with that. You do not have to commit any further. It may keep some of your decisions a bit better than they would be if you left this undecided in your mind, or even decided not to, at this point. But, only 7 days. When next Friday comes around, reassess. I do so hope that you will check-in, no matter what. I want to hear how it’s going - win, lose or draw. I miss seeing you too, will you be doing any plant-based travelling in the near future?

ShortnSweet - Solid start! Congratulations on the loss. I love that feeling and I’m so glad you are feeling it. :) Embrace the strange!!

Cmwann Yes! Happy Dance time! You totally will get there, it’s just a matter of time and adherence.

Belana - That dance is for you too! So very close. Congratulations.

OOnaOwl - You are a trooper. Enjoy the cycling and I wish you health and happiness this week as well.

Liz - Hee hee... I wanted to put my own face on that cartoon...LOL... probably wouldn’t have been as funny. Those darn peanuts... the best way to get rid of them is in the garbage. I find if I don’t do that right away with really tempting foods, they always end up becoming late night snacks. I always think...”this time I have a handle on it...” ...and I never do. I know that’s not exactly what you’re asking, I’m just trying to make a hard truth a little softer in its delivery. Depending on when you are eating them will affect what kind of strategy you choose. If it is a problem of night time snacking, the way to deal with it is to not replace them with anything and train yourself not to eat after dinner. It will be uncomfortable for a bit of time but eventually your cravings will fade. If it is grabbing handfuls through out the day, then you may want to replace them with crudités or even baked baby potatoes. These are crunchy and may just satisfy the urge to chew, while not stoking any of the hedonic reward pathways in your brain. Finally, and most importantly...there are no wimps in this group! You are doing just fine, this is a difficult path but the longer you are on it, the better you will become. Practice makes perfect! XO

Angela - Thanks for checking-in. Keep reflecting and refining. You will get to your goal yet!

Hi Idg! - We are cycling together...LOL... this is the worst time of month for weighing myself too. All bloaty and hormone-y... super fun! Don’t trust it, next week will be better...especially with continued good adherence. Best wishes.

Hi NanaT - Welcome :). You have posted in the right spot, and that is all you need to get started...well, depending on your experience with the program, you may also want to check out the links in the opening post. Each Friday or Saturday, you would post in this same thread your loss or gain for the week. Some people report using their actual weight and others post losses or gains only. Whichever you are more comfortable with. I will add you to the weekly tally tomorrow night with a 0.0 loss and you can report your progress next week.
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:26 am

Hi everyone,
I have to report a gain this week of 1 lb. I actually lost a couple of pounds this week but at the beginning of the week I ate off plan with high calorie food (cake! :eek: ) and then just bad choices. I lost a couple of pounds but today I'm still up 1 lb from last week. I tend to do this over and over. Occasionally I actually lose a pound from the week before. Very frustrating... I'm not giving up, though! I guess I'm doing a maintenance plan in the middle of losing more weight. The very very slow weight loss plan. :)
Good luck to everyone this week! Thank you Amy and Lindsey for being our support coaches, encouraging us and giving us such good advice.
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:48 am

amandamechele wrote:I purchased a book for my daughter based on your recommendations in a thread in The Lounge area of the website. The first of the Trickster duet. I think she will love it.

Oooooh! Good choice!

The Trickster series is one of my favourites. The lead character, Ali, is a fiery young woman. Very intelligent, but quite lazy (by other people's standards). Fact is, she just hasn't found anything that fires her passion. The theme is about racial injustice, but the plot develops in a twisty way and is full of intrigue. Before Ali knows it, she is swept up in events that might be too big for her and she finds herself consumed with a passion she never imagined. The story is about loyalty, love, justice, racial equality, romance and self-determination.

But the story was hard for me to get into. It starts slowly with many unfamiliar and hard-to-pronounce names and places. If you daughter seems to be faltering, encourage her to read at least the first 50 pages. By then the rhythm of the story will take hold.

Although the series was published as a duet, it is as long as Pierce's quartets. Pierce credits J.K. Rowling with convincing publishers that children will read longer books if the story is engaging.

I hope your daughter enjoys it! And if she does... well... there are several dozen other Tamora Pierce stories waiting to be discovered.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Spirit3330 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:15 am

Hi All....My weight went unchanged. This is good as I’m on vacation for the next two weeks and hoping to maintain my weight. Unfortunately eating out is challenging. Try to make good choices.
Spirit3330

Postby pace524 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:55 am

Slight gain this week. Up 0.8 lb. It's tough to drop weight on Prednisone, but I can breathe more freely and it's a new week. 8)

Weight this week: 213.4

Weight last week: 212.6

Total weight loss: 6.2 lbs

pace524

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi Gang!

Thank you to everyone checking in this week. Be proud of your efforts. XO

This week’s knowledge nugget comes from JeffN circa 2008: Is it Better to Eat Many Different Foods or a Limited Variety?

[ ... ]The more we try to complicate our diets and/or lifestyle, the harder they become to follow. The key to any diet or lifestyle program is simplicity. Very few of us have the time and/or energy to spend extra hours in the kitchen or in the food stores. Nor do we have the time to learn 100's of new recipes and food products.

So, don't try to complicate your program of healthful living.

Find out what works for you and stick to it. Create simple meals based around vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes.

For Breakfast..
Whole grain cereal
Fresh Fruit

For Lunch &/or Dinner
Salad
Steamed Vegetables
Soup
Complex Carbohydrate (Rice, Potato, Yam, Legumes, etc)
Legumes (beans)

Snacks
Fruits
Vegetables
Soups
Potatoes

Keep your overall program and menu simple. Look for variety within each of the food groups by using different varieties of vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grains over the course of a day or a week.

As a mentor of mine once said, "this programs (healthful living) is not supposed to become your life, it is supposed to give you your life back".

So, Keep It Simple!!

Because simplicity REALLY is....

"The Key To Health"

Have another great week, and remember...

Your Health Is Your Greatest Wealth!

In Health,
Jeff

For a listing of Jeff’s Simple Recipes, follow the link and then click on the picture for the recipe. Enjoy experimenting this week!

Amy :)

Here are the results for the first week in June:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, June 14th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 300.32 pounds

June 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 2.0 pounds

Week ending 06/07/2019: 15 participants reported a total loss of 2.0 pounds
---------------------------------------
LLP - 1.0
Anelson108 - 1.4
Idgie - 3.4
Moonlight - 1.0
Pace524 - 0.8
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 7.6
--------------------------------------
Midnight87 - 2.0
Dpascar - 0.4
Sirdle - 0.8
Shelley Crockett - 0.0
ShortnSweet - 3.2
Cmwann - 1.0
Belana - 2.2
OOnaOwl - 0.0
NanaT - 0.0
Spirit3330 - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 9.6
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in June 2019: 2.0 pounds
Week ending 06/07/2019: 15 participants reported a total loss of 2.0 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Moonlight - Never give up! That’s my motto too. Your maintenance plan is what I call treading water. We may not be getting anywhere, but we’re also not being pulled under. Keep the plan on your mind, it will help with some of the food decisions you make, eventually something will happen where you feel a shift in your motivation occur and you will dig back in! Alternately, you may make enough good decisions on a certain week and then suddenly realize, hey, this feels easier ...that may mean you’ve just escaped the pleasure trap and boom you can take advantage of that opportunity to get really adherent.

Sirdle - Thank you, your synopsis has me really wanting to read the book now. That protagonist sounds like a wonderful example that any young girl (and middle-aged woman like me) would be proud to emulate.

Spirit - How has your vacation been going? Have you found it challenging to stay on plan?

Pace - I’m glad you are finding breathing easier, and yes, I have heard it is difficult to lose weight while take steroid medications. Keep up the good adherence and then once you no longer need to be taking it everything will right itself and you will feel even better! XO.

Alright.... back to dinner and the game! Looking forward to hearing from everyone tomorrow!

amandamechele

Postby midnight87 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:23 am

Hello all, I'm down another 0.8 lbs this week :) I've feel like I've still been kinda lax with things the past few weeks. Some oil has been creeping up in my diet the last few weeks. I'll get rid of it, and hopefully see more of a drop the next couple weeks.
midnight87

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:37 am

Good morning.
0.7 lb loss for me this week

I was doing good until yesterday. Ate out for lunch and dinner. Food choices were as compliant as possible, but not 100%. Not sure if that affected my weigh-in today. Anyway, back on-track today and hoping for a bigger loss next week.
Shortnsweet

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program