June 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

June 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Fri May 31, 2019 10:28 pm

Welcome to the June Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!!

How is everyone doing this fine first day of June? It’s weigh-in day! (Many of you have possibly weighed-in in the May thread; I’ll collect those numbers and combine them with the ones from here, if we have any.)

Ever feel this way? LOL
Ever feel this way and also feel frustrated about your innumerable unsuccessful attempts to lose weight, to get healthy, or just to feel happy in your own skin?
Sometimes when you string enough failed attempts together you can begin to doubt your ability to get the job done. Especially when people close to you may not have a weight issue and suggest it’s as easy as doing 1...2...or 3...
Sometimes this can lead to procrastination on working towards your weight loss goal. Or as I like to call it fading away... :)

How is this doubt described and understood by psychologists and health professionals?
It is a component of something called perceived self-efficacy. Do you believe that you can achieve the goal that you are trying to accomplish? It is similar to, but not exactly the same as, self-confidence which has an additional external esteem component to it.
An important way to improve self-efficacy and avoid/minimize the self-sabotage of giving-up or procrastinating on your MWL program goals is to know yourself well enough to set appropriate goals. Not too hard and not too easy. We are looking for the self-motivational equivalent of Goldilocks’ perfect bowl of porridge.

I thought I’d repost a discussion from the April 2018 MWL Weigh In thread with links to some of Dr. Lisle’s lectures that discuss self-efficacy vs self confidence and The Pleasure Trap vs the Ego Trap. He explains and has expanded on research in order to create strategies for us to attempt to improve our belief in ourselves. I have also included photos of a wonderful presentation by Dr. Lim on the 10 Critical Steps to Behaviour Change as well.

Another great thread, Compliance on a Healthy Diet, also touches on the importance of self-efficacy. Jeff Novick closes a post saying:
As described in this above paper, I think teaching self-efficacy should be a core part of these programs. We not only have to educate people on the program and teach them the necessary skills, but also how to actually succeed at them and how to empower them to believe they can and will succeed.

So please consider taking some time this month to read and watch the included links. With enough knowledge you will begin to realize that though weight loss and maintenance is an intractably difficult problem, very difficult is quite different from impossible. You just have to believe it’s possible.

And believe me, it is!

Amy XO.

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: June 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Spirit3330 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:18 am

Hi Amy.....count me in for June.

Lessons I learned from May:
1. Coconut Milk is a not my friend. I was eating Thai Panang Curry once or twice a week and it was filled with coconut milk and peanut sauce
2. Make sure I avoid any groceries that have oil as part of its ingredients (soybean, coconut, canola, olive oil, etc.). I can use soy sauce as a substitute for oil. My homemade pesto sauce is delicious (Thank you Mrs. McDougall)
3. Make a conscious effort to pay attention to everything that goes in my mouth and body. Instead of my 3:00 p.m. chocolate snack, I substitute it with a fruit or carrots and hummus. I hate the guilt complex and I try to avoid it at all cost.
4. Exercise is a key ingredient to weight loss. If I have a good diet and add in exercise, it increases my weight loss.
5. I am human. I have bad days.....but it doesn't define me or deter me from my ultimate goal.

Hoping to see better results this month. I'm still growing and learning and I'm enjoying the journey.

Spirit3330
Spirit3330

Postby JaBee » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:15 am

Beginning MWL today - starting weight 206.6, ouch! :crybaby:
JaBee

Postby moonlight » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:49 am

Spirit3330 wrote:.... Lessons I learned from May:
5. I am human. I have bad days.....but it doesn't define me or deter me from my ultimate goal.
Hoping to see better results this month. I'm still growing and learning and I'm enjoying the journey.
Spirit3330

Spirit, I love your lessons learned, especially number 5. :D

Amy, I love the sabotaging cartoon. So true!!

XO
moonlight

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:11 am

Spirit - Awesome! I’m glad you will be rejoining us. Your Five lessons from May are a beautiful thing. I can’t wait to hear what you learn about yourself during June. :)

JaBee Welcome back! This could be a great month for you. Take it one step at a time. Choose a specific goal that gets you closer to the MWL guidelines (could be small - I will eliminate dairy this week, meat next week...could be big - I am going to follow the MWL guidelines exactly for the next 5 days) and go with it. Feel free to post and let us know how it goes.

Thanks Moonlight That was my favourite childhood cartoon. It was on right after we arrived home from school, and made babysitting my younger siblings a snap! I’m glad you will be joining us for another month!
amandamechele

Postby JaBee » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! Had rough start but last couple of days ok. Will keep trying- this is my year!
JaBee

Postby Shortnsweet » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Hello. I'm new here. I went to 10-day McDougall program in January 2018 (last year). Loved it! Life changing! Everyone and everything was great! Lost 38-lbs from Jan to Sep last year. Then...life, stress, work, holidays, excuses, etc., etc., happened and long story short I regained ALL the weight I lost. :angry: :-( :(

So here I am literally starting over. I started on Mon. 6/3 and I'm doing a sort of potato reset to get started.

Breakfast is oatmeal with blueberries (and brown sugar, not sure if that's allowed on MWL)
Lunch is potatoes with dijon mustard and a simple salad of lettuce with a dressing mix of soy sauce and sweet chili sauce (not sure of soy sauce and sweet chili sauce allowed on MWL)
Dinner is potatoes and some vegetable. Last night was steamed edamame and cucumber red onions marinated in apple cider vinegar

I'm not ready to post my starting weight so I'll post my weight loss (hopefully) on Friday.

Shortnsweet

Postby amandamechele » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:49 pm

Shortnsweet wrote:Hello. I'm new here. I went to 10-day McDougall program in January 2018 (last year). Loved it! Life changing! Everyone and everything was great! Lost 38-lbs from Jan to Sep last year. Then...life, stress, work, holidays, excuses, etc., etc., happened and long story short I regained ALL the weight I lost. :angry: :-( :(

So here I am literally starting over. I started on Mon. 6/3 and I'm doing a sort of potato reset to get started.

Breakfast is oatmeal with blueberries (and brown sugar, not sure if that's allowed on MWL)
Lunch is potatoes with dijon mustard and a simple salad of lettuce with a dressing mix of soy sauce and sweet chili sauce (not sure of soy sauce and sweet chili sauce allowed on MWL)
Dinner is potatoes and some vegetable. Last night was steamed edamame and cucumber red onions marinated in apple cider vinegar

I'm not ready to post my starting weight so I'll post my weight loss (hopefully) on Friday.

Hi ShortnSweet,

Welcome....I sure wish I had thought of your username. It’s adorable. :)

I’m glad you’ll be joining us for June. It’s great to hear that you’re very knowledgeable about the general program.
The guidelines for MWL, specifically, are here. I’ve quoted the basic food guidelines below:

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.
1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

Guidelines for Healthy Eating in MWL book, page 67.
1. Eat until you’re satisfied
2. Graze
3. Allow time for digestion
4. Chew foods thoroughly
5. Restrict variety

Another popular resource is Jeff’s 10-Point Checklist:
JeffN wrote:A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.  

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.

2) Choose fruit for desert.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6) Eliminate any added oil.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

I know its hard not be be angry or disappointed about gaining back the weight. Many many of us have been in the same situation as you, so believe me, we get it. You are doing the right thing by deciding to give this another good shot.
Since you’ve been to the 10-day program, you will be very familiar with Dr. Lisle’s lectures as well. As he might say, do a very good job, as close as you can to adherence to the guidelines, and within a few days your self esteem will grow.
And as I will attest, that’s when you will begin to remember that weight loss is possible and this is the way to do it. It doesn’t matter how many times it takes; it is when you stop trying that the possibilities end.
I’m so happy you decided to join.

Amy XO

PS. With regards to your specific food questions, a little sugar and soy sauce are within the guidelines. Use them very sparingly if you can, just enough so that you enjoy the food, but not enough to make it too enticing. As for the edamame, it is suggested that you minimize high fat plant foods until you get to a healthy size, so tofu and avocado, for example, (otherwise very healthy food) are not recommended. This is more than likely the same for edamame which, per serving, contain approximately 37% of calories from fat. But, if it is just a couple of beans sprinkled on your salad and it is what is going to keep you eating that salad, then I say you can decide what is best for you. :)
amandamechele

Postby midnight87 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:30 am

I'm down 2 lbs! Maybe I'm finally back on track? I still think there's room for improvement with my diet but I'm super happy with the loss :D
midnight87

Postby Dpascar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:41 am

Good morning. Down 0.4 this week Have a great week.
Dpascar

Postby sirdle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:01 am

A loss of 0.8 lbs this week. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Shelley Crockett » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:16 am

Hi all,

Sorry I missed the last weigh-in, I was out of town and unable to weigh myself.

Back this week and after three challenging busy weeks have stayed the same.

I'm relieved as I was expecting a gain. Time to focus and get back to weight loss. My June is stupid busy and the weekly weigh in is stressing me out. I know I'm going to be eating out or away from home a lot. Not sure if it's better to weigh myself and see no loss or worse?, which sometimes is not good for my mental well being or just not weigh myself? That could go the other way and make me not accountable. Not sure how to handle it? Thoughts?

Weight loss: zero

Hope you all had a great couple of weeks.

Thanka for the articles above and your never ending support Amy, miss you!

Shell :-D
Shelley Crockett

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:00 am

Good morning. I'm down 3.2 pounds this week (since Mon 6/3 when I started).

amandamechele thanks for the encouragement and references.

Today is Day 5 for me and first day of feeling a sense of happiness and well being in a long time. Other than weight loss, the biggest benefit of this WOE for me is feeling good/happy which is a rare, foreign, strange feeling for me. Good, but strange.
Shortnsweet

Postby cmwann » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:05 am

I am SO happy! I broke the 140 barrier!!! That is HUGE for me and will serve as good motivation to keep going (which I especially need now since we are going on vacation beginning tonight)! AND I had been at my son's college orientation for 2-1/2 days which was hard to stay on the plan, but I tried to eat as healthy as I could. SO, current weight 139.2, down 1 pound from last week. I am thrilled with this! Only 9.2 lbs to go till my goal weight which I've been trying to get to for a few YEARS now! (Not on this plan, but WFPB). And this is the closest I've been. I *will* get there!!

For those of you with more weight to lose, don't give up! If I can lose weight when I don't have all that much to lose, I KNOW that you can, too!! This plan really works!!
cmwann

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:30 am

Shelley Crockett wrote:Not sure if it's better to weigh myself and see no loss or worse?, which sometimes is not good for my mental well being or just not weigh myself? That could go the other way and make me not accountable. Not sure how to handle it? Thoughts?

That is a tough situation and I know the struggle with the mental aspect of it. Since you're in the challenge this month, I think you should weigh-in weekly. This month isn't the rest of your life. It's just a stepping stone along the way. Do the best you can under the circumstances and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Shortnsweet

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program