June 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 am

Moonlight - I’m glad to hear your mum is doing well after surgery. She is lucky to have you there with her. It’s funny the things we crave huh, I don’t know what pimento cheese spread is but I think I’d have had more trouble with a soy ice cream than it...LOL.
It’s good to hear that the day time eating is going well. Would your mom mind if you got rid of the troublesome foods while you are there? It’s hard to break a night time habit with tempting food around. I’m just throwing the suggestion out there, knowing full well it may not be something that can be accommodated, and I’m sure you’ve thought about it. How much longer will you be staying with her? Your spirits sound high, which is nice to hear; you sound happy, in spite of the food challenges and are having success keeping most things in check as well as you can. Yay you!

ShortnSweet - Awesome plan... this is almost as much work as going back to school in the early days of change...LOL. Great analogy. Keep me posted on how you fare this week. Best wishes.

Hi Laura - Nice ticker!

Lindsey - XO. Thank you Lindsey, you are a rockstar yourself, I would love some of your energy! I’ve been following your 21 day challenge, what a great idea.

And just because.....
ImageGuitarist 1 by Max Ellis, on Flickr
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:09 pm

amandamechele wrote:Moonlight - I’m glad to hear your mum is doing well after surgery. She is lucky to have you there with her. It’s funny the things we crave huh, I don’t know what pimento cheese spread is but I think I’d have had more trouble with a soy ice cream than it...LOL.
It’s good to hear that the day time eating is going well. Would your mom mind if you got rid of the troublesome foods while you are there? It’s hard to break a night time habit with tempting food around. I’m just throwing the suggestion out there, knowing full well it may not be something that can be accommodated, and I’m sure you’ve thought about it. How much longer will you be staying with her? Your spirits sound high, which is nice to hear; you sound happy, in spite of the food challenges and are having success keeping most things in check as well as you can. Yay you!

Thanks, Amy. I'm so relieved my mom is doing so well. I really thought she was not going to get a good prognosis. Yes, at my house my darling husband keeps all food that triggers me out of sight. Sometimes I know he has ice cream in the house. It doesn't bother me to watch him eat it (from a distance..) but I don't go looking for it. Same with crackers and chips. It's not possible at my mother's house. I've got to just force myself to stay compliant. I'm sleeping on a fold out sofa right next to the kitchen. Yikes for late night time snacking when I can't sleep. I've rejoined the 21-day challenge going on in the Lounge. Today I'm remembering that I have recommitted to the challenge so I'm hoping that will help. I will be at my mom"s until next Wednesday. (I'm home for a couple of days but I'm going back on Friday.)

I've come up with a great idea that I think would take off and be a popular program - a hotline people can call when they are tempted to eat off their diet plan. The phones would be staffed 24/7 with caring knowledgeable people who could help. What do you think? I would certainly call it!! I'm not sure how it could generate money to keep it staffed, though.
moonlight

Postby cmwann » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:16 am

Good morning! I didn't weigh in last week because I was on vacation. I was a little afraid of how that would go, but I had broken through a barrier the week before so that gave me motivation to try and eat as healthy as possible and I did pretty well, thankfully. There were some temptations I couldn't resist, but overall, I did very well. I'm down to 137.6, so that's down 1.6 from my last weigh-in. only 7.6 pounds to my goal weight of 130. I can feel my hip bones when I lay down, which is something I haven't felt in years. It's pretty amazing that I'm not starving myself and eating good food and still losing weight!

Amy, thank you for your caring posts. What you posted above to Shortnsweet was awesome. Thank you for all of your help!

I'm wondering if you're all in the McDougall Friends Facebook group. If not, there's a lot of great information/recipes/support there, too.

Have a great week, everyone! As I tell my kids, "Make good choices!" LOL! :)
cmwann

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:03 am

Good morning.
I lost 0.8 lbs this week.
I'm 4-weeks into my 100-wk journey and I've lost 4.7-lbs. I told myself this morning that slow and steady wins the race. Slow loss is more sustainable. Slow loss will allow my skin to shrink/tighten better than quick weight loss.

Still. Wish I had lost more. I haven't been able to stop comparing my slower progress this time compared to last time. I'm sticking with it, but it's a very mental / psychological battle right now.

*Thinking* about adding some light walking and/or yoga to my routine. Only thinking about it. I did ask a friend if she'd like to do yoga with me and she said yes. Next week we're going to try to find a place we both like.
Shortnsweet

Postby Belana » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:00 am

Good morning MWL,
Today's the first day of summer, but it certainly doesn't feel like it! Currently, it's pretty chilly where I live.
I'm almost at my goal weight this morning.
Weight: 104.1
Loss: 2.4 lbs.
I've got 2.1 lbs left to lose however, since I'm already pretty lean, that'll take me at least a week or two to lose.
In the meantime, I need to figure out how to maintenance eat.
I've been very strict, but I can't keep eating like this! I'll just keep losing weight and I'll look anorexic.
The last time I lost a lot of weight, I found it very difficult to segue from diet mode to maintenance mode. I know this time won't be any different.
I'm already kind of confused as to how successfully transition. That said...

I think I'm ready, and I believe it's time now for whoever knows how to maintenance eat, to please give me some advice, i.e., website links, which of McDougall's books to buy, YouTube links, links on McDougall's website about maintenance eating, so that I can have all of that lined up before I hit my goal weight in a week or two.
I want to be prepared with the knowledge and proper tools on hand!
TIA, for any and all support!
Belana

Postby cmwann » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:41 pm

Shortnsweet, something I like to think about when I don't have as much of a loss as I'd like, is to visualize it by comparing it to butter. .8 pound is almost a pound of butter, so think of what a pound of butter looks like. THAT MUCH came off of you in just one week! That's impressive to me!

And Belana, WOW, for almost being at your goal weight, you're rocking the MWL plan!! That is awesome!
cmwann

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Belana - there is a lovely maintenance group that you can join. Most people find that they eat pretty similarly during maintenance as they did when losing. It’s about learning healthy habits and keeping them up long term.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby laurag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:38 pm

hi people :) I lost 1 pound , so at 154 ...this week I followed advice made dishes that I love and made some progress on not eating after dinner I am starting to believe its possible to break that habit. I also got to go to beach where I walked and did some walking in mornings again I love how I feel after that. I will try and maintain. here there is a lot of sadness and trying to get thru that while helping my husband figuring out how to cope with the loss of his mom has been hard but it is supposed to be hard. I like being back in group it makes me feel like I can have some control over how I live my life but honestly there is so much chaos its hard to not have the wine or the bread that I know I dont need. but it is a struggle. I didnt eat chips this week my favorite bad food and I stayed away from oil pretty much whole time. Thanks everyone and good luck finding our way!!
also I watched the videos from the list the first two and got so much out of them looking forward to rest of them.
laurag

Postby LLP » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi everyone! I missed last week because we went off the grid for 4 whole glorious days. I have lost 2 pounds in the last two weeks. I'm doing better and making sure the food I know I will cheat with is out of the house. That has helped. The next habit to tackle is after dinner munching. Have a great week everyone!

Liz
LLP

Postby moonlight » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi everyone! I’m again away from my scale so I can’t report on my weight. Maybe that’s a good thing? Not sure... I’m at my mother’s again. I’m planning to stay strong!! I’ve been doing good. I’m participating in the 21-day challenge going on in the lounge. It’s really helping me with the little cheats that were creeping into my diet. I’m feeling that urgency to stay compliant. Yay!!

Good luck to everyone this week! :D
moonlight

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:30 am

Moonlight - I’m glad she is doing well. I think joining the 21 day program in the Lounge is a great idea. It provides daily support and camaraderie that is well guided. :) I’ve found Scott’s medical struggles and what he has to do keep them at bay so inspiring. That he can remain so dedicated to his health and following the plan is very impressive. I knew you had explored all of the avenues you could with regards to how to manage the issues at your mum’s house. How did you fare while home? Have you arrived back at your mum’s place?
A dietary distraction hotline is an interesting idea, private sector ( 1-900-DONT-EAT or 1-976-STOP-NOW, LOL, just $2.99 per minute) or as a state level/federal public health initiative. I wonder if there has been specific research into whether this sort of instant outreach works for obesity in particular. It sounds akin to addiction sponsorship programs like AA - (I also wonder how much difference it makes to have a sponsor you know, respect and always talk to versus an anonymous stranger). Canada has a program called Telehealth. It is a hotline that anyone can call and speak with a registered nurse who will help them decide whether whatever they are experiencing requires them to goto the hospital, make a doctor’s appointment or just for management suggestions. It is used as a way to keep people from unnecessarily going to the hospital during the off hours of their primary care physician and thus reduce government healthcare spending. I’ve used that hotline a number of times for children fever/congestion concerns when my kids were babies. I also used it when trying to figure out what was going on with my oldest when he developed Type 1 diabetes and that was an instance when they advised me to go to the hospital right away.
I wonder if a case could be made for a pilot program to see if access to this kind of thing would reduce an individual’s BMI or healthcare spending over the course of a year (this would be handled very differently in our two different countries). What a fun idea to consider! I’m trying to decide if I would be too cheap to call. Probably would give it a try, based on how much I’ve spent over the ears on other dietary interventions. Who do you think should answer the phones?

Cmwann - Congratulations! How wonderful you must feel. A relaxing vacation that didn’t lead to any weight gain. Here’s to eating well and to satiation!! Thank you for your kind words, McDougall groups are such a great place to find community for so many different sorts of people. I have belonged to the McDougall Friends FB group in the past, and it seemed like a nice place to find new friends and information. I wanted to pare down my social media usage, so I removed myself from a number of groups because they were so large and talkative that I would spend way too much time reading the posts. Some people really love this kind of action and can get great value out of knowing they are 1 post and a few minutes away from receiving some sort of supportive answer. Jeff created a cautionary post called The McDougall Message and Social Media to point out that since these non-official groups are not monitored by actual McDougall staff you need to be aware that they may sometimes inadvertently promote inaccuracies.

ShortnSweet Month 1 down and you beat the goal! 4.7 lbs is faster than 1 pound per week. :) :) I know, I know how you feel - I want to be done with this too. It is a mental battle that will get easier; keep doing what you are doing. You may wonder if it is more difficult to lose weight the second time around, because it can certainly feel that way. Here is a fabulous interview that answers this question: Weight Loss Wisdom from Dr. Doug Lisle Spoiler alert: It is not more difficult. We just gotta do what we did before. XO.

Belana - Yes! Great loss. I see that Lindsey has linked the Maintenance thread (thanks Linds!!), this will be your next step. With regards to your comments about historically having difficulty transitioning from “diet” to “maintenance” mode. This is understandable when you are going from a period of willfully restricting your calories to no longer doing so. However, the point of this plan is to not have to do that. The hope is that you are eating until satisfied on whole natural foods. You will not continue to lose weight if you can listen to your body and eat the amount it wants you to. If you really are concerned about gaining any weight back, I suggest:
- continuing to eat the MWL plan, but remove any portion restrictions you may have been unconsciously setting.
- continue to avoid alcohol as this can produce unintentional food choice errors due to it’s effects on inhibitory control....and it is high in calories itself.
- continue to not eat after dinner.
- if you do the above and still feel unsatisfied add more starch or fruit.
- if you have removed salt or added sugar and miss it, add it back in very sparingly and very carefully.
May I ask, can you explain in more detail what you mean about being strict, and what you are finding unsatisfying that you can’t keep eating like this. The devil is in the details here and we can find a way to make this work for you!

Laura - Hugs to you! Let us be your still waters in the current maelstrom you are facing. Congratulations on the good choices you made this week. They were tough and you did it. I’m glad you enjoyed the video links. Take a look at the one I linked above for ShortnSweet too. Some people just need to change the food to get well, others also need to change their mindset too. That’s where those videos come in. Keep me posted on how things go this week. Be strong for your husband, he needs you right now. You get to be his light at a dark time, and your own as well, by making good choices that will lead to greater feelings of calm and control.

Liz - Yahoo! Going off grid suits you. :) You have discovered what the program professionals suggest: Jeff Novick discusses the necessity to have a clean environment in many threads including this one: Compliance of a Healthy Diet. Dr. Lisle likes to say work harder on your environment than on yourself, and Chef AJ has a catchy phrase too If it’s in your house, it’s in your mouth! And not about the environment exactly but still my favourite It’s the food! from Dr. McDougall. Have a great week too!

Moonlight - Part 2 - Yes! I’m so glad daily accountability is working for you. Best wishes to your mum from me...and to you my friend. :)
amandamechele

Postby midnight87 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:37 am

Hi everyone, I'm back up .6 lbs. I'm noticing a trend with that time of the month, I always seem to put on weight the last couple days and then have trouble taking it off again. Not sure if my diet gets more lax? I try to stay on plan :? Oh well, it could be worse I suppose. I'm sure I'll be back down next week anyways.
midnight87

Postby Shortnsweet » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:02 am

Thanks, Amy! I'll watch that video.

I just wanted to share that I stepped on the scale today and I'm down another 0.8 from yesterday! I had a big dinner Thursday night, which affected my weigh-in Friday morning. If I were to count today's weigh-in instead of yesterday's then my loss for the week would be 1.6 pounds. I feel much better about that. As of today I've lost 5.5 lbs.

***BUT***
I'm going to stick with my official weigh-in yesterday for an official loss of 0.8 this week and keep doing what I've been doing and look forward to reporting another loss next week. :-D
Shortnsweet

Postby Spirit3330 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Hi Amy, I’m back from a 2 week vacation. Could not report last week as my parents home had no scale. Weighed myself today and I’m up 2 pounds. Trying to get back on schedule with my eating regime. I love vacations, but it is hard to stay on track

Spirit3330
Spirit3330

Postby amandamechele » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:18 am

Hey everyone,

It’s been nice to hear from you all, thank you for checking in. Overall it sounds like it’s been a good week.

This is how to have an even better week:

That is all. :)

Amy XO.

PS. Okay, here’s one more way. Go through some of these success stories. Now write up your own. Avoid comparing it to others’ stories, this is personal. Losing weight and getting healthy, no matter the number, is life changing. What are some of the things you have let your weight stop you from doing? What has inspired you to decide NOW is the time to get this done? What is your plan to get there, or what have you done to get there (some of you are so close and I hope you WILL write up your story. It’s the stuff that inspiration is made of). Now keep this story close, it will be your map for more than just this domain.

Here are the results for the third week in June:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, June 28th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 309.82 pounds

June 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 11.5 pounds

Week ending 06/21/2019: 9 participants reported a total loss of 5.2 pounds
---------------------------------------