Travelling in a Car for 8 Hours - What Food and How to Pack?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Travelling in a Car for 8 Hours - What Food and How to Pack?

Postby tvalleav10 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:45 am

I'm curious to hear what you all do in special situations when you will be "cooped up" for several hours at a time. I will be in a car for eight hours with my wife and child this weekend. They are NOT McDougallers yet. I know I need to pack food just to be safe during the ride, but what to pack?

I plan to pack apples, veggies with a compliant bean dip. I'd like to pack potatoes but I've never had experience cooking them at home and then eating them "cold" later. I make Jeff N's "fries" all the time. Does anyone do this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
tvalleav10

Re: Travelling in a Car for 8 Hours - What Food and How to P

Postby sirdle » Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 am

tvalleav10 wrote:I'd like to pack potatoes but I've never had experience cooking them at home and then eating them "cold" later.

My favourite 'cold' meal is baked sweet potatoes... peeled, then sprinkled with cinnamon. I cook up a batch, store them in the fridge, and eat a 12-15 oz serving for lunch. (They store well in a cooler.)

1. wash and dry the sweet potatoes
  2. poke them with a fork a few times
  3. place in a cold even on a baking sheet
  4. turn on oven to 425 deg F
  5. after 75 min, turn oven off, but leave door close
  6. after another 40 min, remove sweet potatoes from the oven, peal, sprinkle with cinnamon and store
  7. eat as desired
Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Re: Travelling in a Car for 8 Hours - What Food and How to P

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Jeff's fries are AWESOME cold. That's one of my go-to travel foods. :-)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program