Breakfast Ideas

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Breakfast Ideas

Postby midnight87 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm really drawing a blank here. I've been switching between sweet potatoes and steel cut oats with fruit in the morning for the last month or so and I'm starting to get sick of them lol. I'd really appreciate any compliant breakfast ideas you guys have. I really don't want to do much more than dump something in a bowl or on a plate and stick it in the microwave. I'm not much of a savory breakfast person, but I'd be willing to try out something new. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
midnight87

Re: Breakfast Ideas

Postby Lyndzie » Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Jeff’s oatmeal - my interpretation
1/3 c old fashioned oats
2/3 c water
Microwave for 1 1/2 min.
Then mix in:
1 tbsp ground flax
1/3 c thawed* frozen mixed berries
Top with 1 sliced banana.

*the secret ingredient is to store your frozen berries in the fridge, so that they are thawed and juicy. Fruit that is still frozen will cool your oatmeal too much and not be as flavorful.

Here is a multigrain hot cereal recipe: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=57495&start=15#p578802

I also like to cook up frozen hash browns, but that does require some time to babysit a pan in the morning.

And another idea: grape nuts cereal and almond milk. Not MWL compliant, but pretty tasty.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby t-eddy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:36 am

Though the thread is a couple of months old already I'd like to add another breakfast idea. I can recommend millet gruel with lemon juice (and fresh spinach) for breakfast :)

You only need
1 c dry millet
5 c water
(1 lemon)
(lettuce / spinach)

You can soak the millet over night if you like and cook it the next morning. You can also cook it without soaking it before. (I use an electric pressure cooker, so that the millet gruel is already cooked and warm when I get up :) ) A friend of mine uses millet flakes instead and just heats it up with water. This might also work in the microwave (though whenever I prepared millet flakes or oatmeal in the microwave the pulp exploded...)
When the millet gruel is ready I always like to add some lemon juice and green leafy vegetables if I feel like it. You can also eat it sweet with apples or other fruit. That is also very delicous.
t-eddy

Postby Grammy Ginger » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:15 pm

I eat a pound of steamed veggies and a roasted (450F 70 min) white sweet potato right now. Other times, I eat rolled oats with applesauce. I also crisp hash browns with shredded zucchini, diced red pepper, and chopped onions in the griddler and top with tomato paste. Another favorite is dry fried mushrooms, purple cabbage, cherry tomatoes, and yellow peppers over brown rice. I tend to eat something for months on end until I get tired of it.
Grammy Ginger

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program