Are Peas "starchy"?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are Peas "starchy"?

Postby BullFrog » Thu May 02, 2019 12:48 pm

Do Peas fit into the Maximum Weight Loss diet via a standard "vegetable"? I have heard they are a "starchy" vegetable and, since I am doing the MWL, I am trying to up my vegetable intake considerably. However, I LOVE peas! I can easily fry up a cups worth, sprinkle a bit of salt or sriracha on it and have that for a healthy snack between meals or after a workout. But I don't want to do that if it doesn't count as a true "non-starchy" vegetable and thus slightly compromise my weight loss.
BullFrog

Re: Are Peas "starchy"?

Postby Lyndzie » Fri May 03, 2019 6:05 pm

1 lb of green peas, cooked = 381 cal
22% protein

My guess is that they are more in line with beans/legumes due to the high protein content. Definitely not a non-starchy vegetable. Healthy, no doubt!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby PJK » Tue May 07, 2019 8:14 am

The answer is yes, peas are starchy, according to the Healthfully site:

"Starches are foods in which one serving typically contains about 80 calories, 15 g of carbohydrates, 3 g of protein and 0 g of fat. A half-cup serving of cooked green field peas, also known as split peas, contains 114 calories, 20 g of carbs, 8 g of protein and 0 g of fat. Higher in calories and carbs than a traditional serving of starch, the green field pea's nutrient composition more closely resembles a starch than a nonstarchy vegetable."

https://healthfully.com/442461-do-green ... -diet.html
PJK

Postby Willijan » Sun May 12, 2019 9:04 pm

PJK wrote:The answer is yes, peas are starchy, according to the Healthfully site:

"Starches are foods in which one serving typically contains about 80 calories, 15 g of carbohydrates, 3 g of protein and 0 g of fat. A half-cup serving of cooked green field peas, also known as split peas, contains 114 calories, 20 g of carbs, 8 g of protein and 0 g of fat. Higher in calories and carbs than a traditional serving of starch, the green field pea's nutrient composition more closely resembles a starch than a nonstarchy vegetable."

https://healthfully.com/442461-do-green ... -diet.html

I can't answer the question of whether peas are starchy or non-starchy. However, split peas are different than green peas. Green peas are a "fresh" vegetable, usually found in frozen form unless you are a gardener. Split peas, on the other hand, are dried, and more like dried beans.
Willijan

Postby VeggieSue » Mon May 13, 2019 4:16 am

In was one some message board, possibly this one, where years ago it was explained like this:

If it's in dried form and needs to be cooked in a liquid, it's a legume
If it's in whole pea form and can be eaten as-is or slightly warmed, like the frozen or canned, it's a starchy vegetable
If it's immature peapods, where you eat the entire pod raw off the stem of the plant, it's a green/yellow non-starchy vegetable
VeggieSue

Postby sirdle » Mon May 13, 2019 6:18 am

VeggieSue wrote:In was one some message board, possibly this one, where years ago it was explained like this:

If it's in dried form and needs to be cooked in a liquid, it's a legume
If it's in whole pea form and can be eaten as-is or slightly warmed, like the frozen or canned, it's a starchy vegetable
If it's immature peapods, where you eat the entire pod raw off the stem of the plant, it's a green/yellow non-starchy vegetable

Nicely said! Thanks! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program