May 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: May 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Spirit3330 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:42 am

I’m down 1.4 lbs this week
Spirit3330

Postby sirdle » Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 am

amandamechele wrote:Thanks Sirdle. That is an absolute blessing. My family is quite supportive too, and I feel lucky for that. Does your wife eat this way too? My husband is happy to eat what I cook, but when eating out, or picking up the groceries will buy some items that I won’t eat. Thankfully he’s careful and knows which foods are really tough for me to resist and typically doesn’t buy them.

I love your plan vs reality pic! So true!

Yes, my wife eats this way, too. Or, rather, she is trying to. I work out of town a lot, and when I'm gone she has a very hard time sticking to the plan because it is so BORING!. She says: "I'm not Alan Goldhammer. I don't want broccoli and brown rice for dinner, again!" LOL.

But when I am home, she gladly eats anything I cook. [Cathy Fisher's recipes can make anyone into a decent cook.] She even has favorites and requests: "Can we have Kale Soup again, this weekend?" I am experimenting with very simple recipes that she can whip together...

====================

Down 1.1 lbs this week.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Artista » Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am

I'm down .4 lbs this week.

My breakfast pretty much every morning is steel-cut oats, buckwheat, fruit, a little ground flaxseeds and soy milk.
Artista

Postby Belana » Fri May 24, 2019 11:13 am

Hi MWL,
I feel like I'm at the last leg of a super century bicycle ride, although losing weight is harder! :roll:
These last 6.7 lbs. that I've got left to lose will be difficult! :-(
Weight: 108.7
Loss: 1.3 lbs.
Belana

Postby Rosey » Fri May 24, 2019 2:51 pm

HUGS!!! Just realized I didn't weigh in last Friday but it was 283 lbs like last time. This time I'm extremely swollen and up 9 lbs. I saw a lady the other day that was being made fun of and seeing her made me want to cry. She looked about my size every where but her legs and feet and she was so swollen that she had round shoes made for her feet. It looked so red and pain full. I started talking to her to side track her mind from the kids teasing her. They left when she was side tracked away from them. I always try to remember that yeah I have issues but some have it worse then I do. She was a sweet lady.
Rosey

Postby amandamechele » Fri May 24, 2019 11:17 pm

Moonlight - Oooh, that sweet potato, mashed banana combo sounds interesting. I’m also going to have to check and see if my oven has a preset timer. That is a great tip, I’d love to wake up to the smell of baking potatoes.

Michele - Wonderful to hear. :) Keep at it and don’t let the future travel food uncertainty derail this streak. You will go into the trip with less cravings and more optimism at your own abilities to mange the food if you keep up the good work, right up until you leave. Nice loss this week.

Midnight - Slow and steady wins the race! Good luck with your new changes this week, let us know how it goes. Have you chosen some recipes?

Cmwann - Very nice, I love it when clothes begin to get big...that means its almost time to go SHOPPING! LOL. Best wishes this coming week.

Shell - You will recover quickly. You’ve got a couple of months of great adherence behind you. One salty meal is just that, one salty meal. Let’s see what the scale says next week. XO.

Alishana - Feeling lighter is good. Feel free to share with us if you try any different breakfasts and what you think of them. I’m excited for you...keep up the great efforts this week. :)

Spirit - Yes! Nice loss.

Rick - Nice loss. I think most people desire a tiny bit more variety than Dr. Goldhamer’s brown rice and broccoli. I’m glad you and your wife are doing this as a team, it makes mealtimes so much easier and more enjoyable. My favourite recipes from Cathy’s book - or website I can’t remember which - are her corn chowder and her beef less stew. I also like the Tu-no recipe, but if I recall correctly it’s not MWL (its been a few years since I made that one). I can’t believe your wife loves the kale soup recipe...with that endorsement I think I will have to try it in the coming weeks.

Artista - Good loss this week. Your breakfast sounds yummy.

Belana - LOL... I don’t know what a super century bike ride is, but it sounds long. You’ve been doing so well with your consistent losses, if this is how you race, you’ll make it to the finish line in no time.

Connie - Kids can sometimes be so cruel when they are trying to jockey for position among their peer group. You are a sweet lady! I’m positive you made a difference in that woman’s day just by showing her some kindness and understanding. I had missed hearing from you last week (and was surprised, because you are very consistent with your check-in), and I’m glad you’re still with us, trying for better adherence to the guidelines each week. XO
amandamechele

Postby pace524 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:22 am

Happy Saturday.

I had a difficult week with an asthma exacerbation and someone hitting my parked car, but I managed to stay right on plan, less a little birthday snack last night.

Weight loss this week 3lbs.

Last week: 218

This week: 215

Total weight loss: 4.6 lbs

Have a blessed week. :)
pace524

Postby amandamechele » Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Hey All!

Congratulations to all of you this week. It’s inspiration week and I found a great success story, from someone who’s actually even shorter than me. She is a cutie, with an unfortunate nickname:
Meet Stinker: No Longer Overweight and has lowered her cholesterol:

In her words:
However, several years of McDougalling 80% of the time resulted in no permanent weight loss. But, I remembered reading that some people need to follow the Maximum Weight Loss Plan (MWL) to lose weight. MWL is similar to the regular plan, but differs by replacing foods made from flour, even 100% whole-grain flour, with whole grains cooked whole; by limiting fruit to two raw pieces a day; and by not allowing foods high in naturally occurring fat. So, I tried a combo of the regular and MWL plans with 10% SAD (mostly on holidays and special occasions) and lost 17 pounds. Then I eased off of MWL and gained back a few pounds. I continued regular McDougalling 90% of the time and stayed at around 132 pounds.
The fall of 2002, I began a mostly MWL and part regular plan with NO SAD food. Yet, I never went hungry or felt deprived! In addition to my regular yard and garden chores, I began walking for a half-hour a few times a week. At first, I lost two pounds a week, but this rate gradually decreased to less than a half-pound a week. Now, if I stop MWLing, I gain back a few pounds.

From Dr. McDougall:
My lessons from my windsurfing struggles are the same ones Stinker’s learned form her struggle with her health:
1) Until the problems become sufficiently inconvenient, we’re not going to change.

2) No matter how long or how often we have failed, it is never too late to start winning.

3) Even during those slow times when we seem to notice no progress, progress is being made.

4) We are never too old to improve.

5) Every attempt results in us doing better, and that’s what keeps us trying.

6) The goal is not perfection. The goal is to improve and have a better life.

7) A meaningful life is filled with challenges to be met.

Click here for her full story.

The long and the short of it is, Stinker slowly worked her way towards following the guidelines, but it wasn’t until she really got serious and followed them quite closely that she was able to have her best successes.

It’s never too late to start winning! Just ask the Toronto Raptors, coming back in the 4th, after being more than 10 points behind for most of tonight’s game against the Bucks, not to mention being behind by 2 games for the first part of the Eastern Conference finals. Golden State Warriors, here we come! I’m rooting for these underdogs for their first shot at the NBA Championships, and I’m rooting for all of the underdogs here, who continue to put in the effort to make their goals a reality! XO.
So put in the effort; make consistent adherence to the MWL guidelines a non-negotiable goal. Let’s get it done!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the fourth week in May:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, May 31st, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 284.82 pounds

May 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 29.3 pounds

Week ending 05/24/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 2 pounds
---------------------------------------
Shelley Crockett - 2.0
Rosey - 9.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 11.0
--------------------------------------
Michele613 - 3.2
Midnight87 - 0.4
Cmwann - 2.2
Alishana - 0.0
Spirit3330 - 1.4
Sirdle - 1.1
Artista - 0.4
Belana - 1.3
Pace524 - 3.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 13.0
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in May 2019: 29.3 pounds
Week ending 05/24/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 2.0 pounds
Week ending 05/17/2019: 17 participants reported a total loss of 8.2 pounds
Week ending 05/10/2019: 19 participants reported a total loss of 23.7 pounds
Week ending 05/03/2019: 22 participants reported a total loss of -4.6 pounds
amandamechele

Starting again

Postby Idgie » Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 am

I missed weigh-in because I spent the last few days in the ICU with my mom. She's home now, and I'm down 0.4 pounds, to 306.8, which I think is great, since it can be easy to just stress-eat constantly in that circumstance. (Also, it was good that the cafeteria for this heart center was about a quarter-mile walk each way, through underground tunnels, so I didn't spend all my time there.

(Edit: Oops, put my whole journal on here; moving it to the right place.)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby sirdle » Sun May 26, 2019 9:21 am

amandamechele wrote:My favourite recipes from Cathy’s book - or website I can’t remember which - are her corn chowder and her beef less stew. I also like the Tu-no recipe, but if I recall correctly it’s not MWL (its been a few years since I made that one).

I love the beefless stew! Haven't tried the corn chowder or the Tu-no casserole, yet. Last night we had the Pineapple Stir-Fry. Delicious! I added some water chestnuts and some sesame seeds.

amandamechele wrote:I can’t believe your wife loves the kale soup recipe...with that endorsement I think I will have to try it in the coming weeks.

The Kale Soup recipe actually isn't one of Cathy's. I can't remember where I got it. For years, my wife and I would joke about kale. Seems like it was added to everything (or bacon... sometimes kale and bacon). Basically, we thought of kale as an inedible weed: tough and bitter. Yuck.

Then my weekly box of veggies from our CSA arrived and it had a bunch of kale. I thought: what the heck am I going to make with kale? So I searched online, found a recipe, modified it, and tried it out. There is not too much kale in it and it's well-cooked. It's actually more of a bean & potato soup, with some kale thrown in.

Vegetarian Kale Soup
----------------------------

1 yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 bunch kale (around 5C), stems removed and leaves chopped
8 cups water

1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
6 medium white potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans (drained if desired)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons dried parsley

1. Cook the onion and garlic until soft.
2. Stir in the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the water, vegetable bouillon, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, Italian seasoning, and parsley.
4. Simmer soup on medium heat for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.

Notes:

1. Kale does not wilt nearly as much as spinach does, so it should be cut into smaller pieces... say, 1/2" ??
3. Substituted dried basil for the dried parsley.
4. Substituted kidney beans for the cannellini.
5. Substituted stock (or plain old water) for the bullion cubes.

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby LLP » Sun May 26, 2019 6:58 pm

I'm down .6 this week. I typed out a longer post and thought I hit submit on friday and then logged out so I didn't know that it didn't show up here. Anyway, my goal is to keep breakfast as it is (oatmeal all mwl compliant) and work on lunches being 100% mwl. I'm still adding in more veggies to lower the calorie density.

I love reading what everyone writes here. It is so helpful not only to see that others are struggling too but to see y'all overcome. It helps me to have just trust the process. :)

Liz
LLP

Postby Idgie » Mon May 27, 2019 8:14 am

HI, sirdle, I don't see veg bouillon on your list of ingredients. How much do you usually put? I think I need to try this recipe! :-)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
Idgie

Postby sirdle » Mon May 27, 2019 4:49 pm

Idgie wrote:HI, sirdle, I don't see veg bouillon on your list of ingredients. How much do you usually put? I think I need to try this recipe! :-)

Ah, I missed that. The original recipe called for vegetable bullion, but it is too salty, so I don't use it.

The first time I made this recipe, I used 4C of Engine 2 vegetable stock and 4C water; but every time since then, I have just used 8C of water, and I think it tastes just fine that way.

The canned tomatoes and canned cannellini are both "no salt added".

Hope you enjoy!

sirdle

Postby Idgie » Mon May 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Thank you!
Idgie, Southern CA
Idgie

Postby cmwann » Fri May 31, 2019 5:42 am

Down to 140.2 from 140.8, so a loss of .6. I was hoping to break through the 140 barrier, but patience is a virtue! And it's a LOSS, so I'll take it! Every day, I'm learning new ways to fix the foods we should eat so that is helping. Have a great week, everyone!
cmwann

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program