April 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: April 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:39 pm

alishana wrote:Sorry I'm late ! But i'm down 1 lbs this week.

No worries, glad you checked in. :)

Congratulations on the loss.
amandamechele

Postby Michele613 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:01 am

Well hello Amy and the team....happy to read some wonderful and encouraging posts from some long-time team members and newer ones. Because of sharing your experiences and inspiring words I have decided to make a post though I was going to stay 'in my cave' and not come out until Summer.

I went away for 6 weeks to US (from Israel) back in mid-February til early April and returned in time to start preparing for the 7 day festive time of Passover which does not end until this weekend. Like most holidays much revolves around eating andddddddddddddddd.....more eating.

After a sky fall during those 6 weeks I slid into the cavern of the pleasure trap...which continues (though I can honestly say since I was primarily eating out of emotional stress that I have not had any real pleasure from my 2 month indulgence into off-program foods).

This is my 5th go around on the program....each time successful .... each time followed by failure. On program for an easy 2 months followed by being off program for an uncontrolled relapse of 2 months, taking me back to the starting line.

I REALLY appreciate the sincere posts which all of you have made...some of them clearly not easy to 'fess up to but all of them filled with hope and a desire to do better and to 'find a final solution' to the compulsion and desire for pleasure trap foods which keep us on this merry-go-round and crazy making ups and downs.

Sooooooooooo, with G-d's help, after the holiday ends (yes my beginning is not now because that is my reality) I will 'again' jump on to the wagon and journey with the rest of you as we work towards conquering our emotional and physical selves....may we all reach that final destination of harmony by being emotionally and physically healthy through healthy choices.
Last edited by Michele613 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michele613

Postby Michele613 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:40 am

Amy and Moonlight....THANK YOU BIG TIME. I went back through April (because I haven't posted for some time now) and read your entries. I SOOOOOOOOOOOO related and it felt good to read that others were experiencing similar if not the same struggles.

Amy I really liked your reference to a 'deep groove'. I think I would call the 2 month periods of each of my 5 starts on this program as being in such a head place. I felt good, strong, committed, had more energy, not stressed over food etc etc. However, then I 'faded away' and that's where I am now. I've reflected on those 5 starts and fails and I was unable to come up with a 'particular' pattern (other than the time frames) that I could use to help me get past that 2 month point. Each time it was something different that caused the fall...last time it was my 6 week trip abroad and watching TV (which I don't have here in Israel) and seeing 100's of commercials for every kind of restaurant and fast food ). Though I only eat kosher and so I did not rush off to those places, I started 'wanting' to eat 'something' along those lines and just starting grocery shopping for junk food primarily since so many of them are kosher. Unfortunately my sister's bad habits and struggles were not helpful and though I might have been a good influence on her had I adhered, I didn't and wasn't.

I truly appreciate your posts....they are so honest, real and inspiring. Like with an alcoholic...there is never an 'end point' to the addiction, just enlightenment and moment to moment commitment. Thanks for your insight and with G-d's help...we will stay on track and remain committed to the better life and its choices.
Last edited by Michele613 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michele613

Postby Shelley Crockett » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:54 am

Good morning everyone,

Quick post to record a 2 lb loss this week.

I will be back in a bit to comment on all the posts above. Down 14.6 lb since returning from Santa Rosa. (March 12, 2019) :-D

Shell
Shelley Crockett

Postby sirdle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:42 am

Down 1.1 lbs this week. :-P

Back into the 'healthy' BMI range!
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby alishana » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:49 am

I'm down 2,2lbs this week !

Thank you Michele for you very real testimony ! I really relate to it. It's very brave to share this and I'm sure you'll be successful on your next try :-D
alishana

Postby anelson108 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:36 am

Weigh-in today: 192.8
Last week: 191.6
Results: 1.2 pound gain
Total loss (since joining MWL): 11.8
Goal weight: 150 pounds (5' 6" height)
NOTE: Cooking and eating a traditional Easter dinner (including apple pie) contributed to weight gain.
anelson108

Postby Belana » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:45 am

Good morning MWL world,
Tweaking a few things has resulted in success and my weight loss is back on track.
Thanks to all for your support, suggestions and words of encouragement and wisdom. It made a difference and absolutely helped to keep me going on MWL.
Not ever going back to ETL! That diet sucks! :\ :nod:
Weight: 109.8
loss: 1.1 lbs.
Belana

Postby sirdle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:12 am

Belana wrote:Good morning MWL world,
Tweaking a few things has resulted in success and my weight loss is back on track.
Thanks to all for your support, suggestions and words of encouragement and wisdom. It made a difference and absolutely helped to keep me going on MWL.
Not ever going back to ETL! That diet sucks! :\ :nod:
Weight: 109.8
loss: 1.1 lbs.

Very well done! :-P

Just curious... what seemed to work for you?
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:24 am

Michele, it’s so nice to hear from you. I’ll say it again...that darn Pleasure Trap!! LOL. Thank you for coming by and letting us know how you have been doing. Happy Passover! I hope you are enjoying time with people you love. I’m glad you decided to peak your head out of the cave earlier than the summer because that can give you more time to attempt another deep groove (it’s a Dr. Lisle term, the staff psychologist). Here are a couple of favourite webinars from him that you may enjoy:
Food Addiction, Emotional Eating, Weight Loss (Part 1)
Food Addiction, Emotional Eating, Weight Loss (Part 2)
You can get the MWL eating back on track soon enough; enjoy the next couple of days (making the best choices you can given the current circumstances) and consider picking a day (like, say, Sunday or someday soon), to clean out the fridge and pantry and do some food prep. Prepare yourself for a number of extra difficult days to break out of the trap; dare to be lousy! ‘Fessing up and continuing to check-in is difficult to do when your brain is creating an emotional reaction signalling to you not to do it. Save face...fade away...maybe no one will notice...maybe I’m not checking in because I just got busy, not because I feel like I’m failing at something I want so badly. But if you fight that just a little bit and stay accountable to yourself there’s a good chance you will gain less weight back when not being perfectly compliant because you won’t have gone as far astray as when completely throwing in the towel. What you’ve said is very wise: It takes personal enlightenment and moment to moment commitment. Six time’s the charm...LOL... I’m glad you are back to give it another go. Let me know how it goes this week, no matter what you choose to do. I’d love to hear from you again. :)

Shelley, I’m so happy for you. You really did take the information from the three-day program and run with it. Congratulations on continued great diligence in preparation and commitment to your goal. I’m hoping to see some of your delicious pictures posted here. I’m needing some inspiration!

Sirdle - What?!! Were you just trying to slip that little tidbit of information by unnoticed? LOL. So humble. This is a big deal. Congratulations on reaching a normal BMI and here’s to continued success. I hope you do a little bit of celebrating.

Alishana - Great loss. Best wishes to you this week. :)

Angela - Thank you for checking in. This week will be a better one, there’s no Easter to contend with. XO.

Belana - Fantastic! You are doing really well, maintain this level of effort and you will reach your goal.
amandamechele

Postby Ellen N » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:56 pm

I weigh 157#, same as last time. Have been off MWL for a couple weeks. Have been sick, feeling crappy, tired , short of breath. Have low iron stores, doc now started me on iron. I have been eating vegan 20+ yrs, always a beans and greens girl, lots of high vitamin C foods, never a coke and potato chip vegan. Only tweak to my diet i can think ofis subtracting my 2 cups of green tea per day. If I can get this sick by drinking 2 cups of tea a day, my diet must be pretty borderline. Suggestions, Jeff? I am eating grape-nuts cereal with orange juice on it, neither MWL.
Ellen N

Postby Michele613 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks Alishana and Amy for your encouragement and support.

The April holidays are just ending for everyone so perhaps after we all settle back into a regular routine without the extra meals and company then we'll be able to get back on track.

I'll be taking a 0 next Friday in the first May thread because it will take me these next few days to get my mojo working again and I will happily, regardless of outcome, weigh in on May 10th....until then......congrats to those who lost this week and to those who know why they didn't

EVERYONE SHOULD BE KIND TO THEMSELVES AND ACCEPT THAT WE ARE JUST HUMAN but we do have the power to change when we 'deeply' desire it. I'm getting out my shovel to go deeper with that desire :D
Michele613

Postby moonlight » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi everyone! I’m holding steady at 172lbs. No loss but at least no gain!! I hope you all have an awesome week! :D
moonlight

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi Ellen. I’ve dealt with low iron before, too. Jeff does not give individual health advice on here, but does do phone consults. Another idea would be to journal your food choices for a couple days and ask for input from forum members, and/or log in Cronometer and see if there is anything is amiss. Tea could very well be the culprit. Another option, if you are looking for something warm to drink, is nettle tea. It’s not real tea, and is the leaves from the stinging nettle plant. I’ve seen it in most grocery stores and it has a mild, pleasant flavor. Another great option is hot lemon water.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby amandamechele » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 am

Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for checking in this week.
April has been a wonderful month of really supporting each other. I’m feeling the love! It’s easier to have deeper discussions when the group is a bit smaller. There’s less to read and thus more time for focusing on getting to know each other; more time to connect as a group.
A couple of years ago I read an interesting thought on in-group out-group dynamics by an online blogger psychiatrist, who uses the pseudonym Scott Alexander*, who thinks slight differences and close proximity are actually more often responsible in forming in-group out-group dynamics than vastly differing groups across large distances. This is what we see happening in politics, and closer to home in the world of healthy eating. People in regular contact with one another nitpicking over finer details and banding together over those details. I think it’s important to try and recognize this tendency and internally fight against it. To relate this specifically to our attempts at following the McDougall MWL program, as Jeff and many others have said, it’s important to stop focusing on these little dietary details and ensure we are getting the big things correct. Eat minimally processed, whole foods, no added oil and low in added salt and sugar; each and every day.
It was some of your comments this week that had me thinking about why so many people on their weight loss journeys feel so alone and how it connects to this idea of an in-group out-group dynamic. In many circumstances people come together under the banner of all sorts of commonalities and form groups leading to the solving of broad issues, removing large societal barriers; forming deep friendships, gaining a feeling of connection and a sense of unity. Many of us have experienced or witnessed these circumstances in which people that struggled together tended to bond and unite. We see this in groups that people chose to be a part of: the military, sports teams, politics; and in groups people don’t choose but are a part of: people linked by traits they are born with, or linked through diseases or loss.
There is at least one group that is somewhat less likely to form an in-group through struggle or a sense of commonality. Overweight individuals do not express any less bias towards other overweight individuals than those in a more normal weight range. This could be a part of the reason why this feels like such a lonely journey. As Dr. Lisle points out, the root of the innate judgements regarding obese people made by all people is, in part, due to an unconscious evaluation of fitness indicators that have led to survival and reproductive advantage in our species’ pre-history.
So, unfortunately for us, we are our own out-group too. This can be especially lonely and confusing to those more prone to obesity, or who have been obese for most of our lives. We don’t want help from people afflicted in the same way because they must be doing something wrong.... and it’s just so darn hard to keep reaching out to someone without understanding of the subjective experience of it. But we must! Not only do we need a correct understanding of optimal lifestyle factors from those able to look objectively at the issue, we also need to feel understood and supported. We are more likely to stay the course when we realize we are not alone in our struggle and that people experience varying degrees of difficulty in attempting to consistently change their behaviours.
Sadly there’s more to this being our own out-group thing; it is also the case that the frame of mind needed to be able to most effectively pursue making successful changes leading to weight loss (a growth mindset - perceiving oneself as having control over an outcome), appears to be linked to an incremental increase in negative attitudes towards obesity. It makes sense. If you believe you have control over a situation, you are more likely to work towards controlling it. You are also more likely to believe that others should be able to control it too. So when you see someone not making progress towards their weight loss goals they must not be trying hard enough or have some character flaw that makes them incapable.
Jeff Novick, Dr. Lisle and the whole McDougall team endeavour to help people realize this is not the case. They want you to know that losing weight is simple, but not always easy. We need to try to recognize the potential for flawed attitudes through changing our beliefs about the culpability of why one may be overweight. It takes good information to change your frame of mind, leading to greater weight-loss success. But also, be cognizant of the fact that everyone is learning how to do this in different ways, at different paces, facing different circumstances. Be supportive. Remember that the guidelines are just guidelines and can be applied well in a variety of ways.

Time and consistent adherence. Practice. Whatever it takes. We can do this.

Michele, I loved what you said below, this post is for you :
EVERYONE SHOULD BE KIND TO THEMSELVES AND ACCEPT THAT WE ARE JUST HUMAN but we do have the power to change when we 'deeply' desire it. I'm getting out my shovel to go deeper with that desire :D

I’m going to get my shovel out too; let’s get to work. :)

Amy

*My reference to this particular blogger is not an endorsement of all of his particular opinions. That is why I have not provided a link (it is searchable, however), I’m not sure that would be appropriate in this context but I also do not want to pass his idea off as my own.

Here are the results for the fourth week in April:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, May 3rd, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 260.22 pounds

April 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds

Week ending 04/26/2019: 9 participants reported a total loss of 5.2 pounds
---------------------------------------
Anelson108 - 1.2
---------------------------------------