March 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: March 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby sirdle » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:47 am

Down 1.9 lbs this week. :mrgreen:

Food - all on plan 8)
Exercise - 45 min/day x 7 days 8)

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lorna1954a » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:07 pm

It was an awful week. Ate a few things I shouldn’t have. Gained 5 pounds.
Lorna1954a

Postby amandamechele » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 am

Linda, Belana, Frymom and Lorna, I didn’t realize that I missed responding to you last week. We are a team and I dropped the ball. My apologies.

Lorna - XO. Your mind is strong but your body is weak. I feel for you, and understand what you are going through. The good: You are checking in and thinking about the plan. As for the rest, it’s best to try and fight your way back on plan. Easier said then done, I know... but the alternative is to not try or back away from the problem and we both know that doesn’t help. I know you are facing extra stress and challenging circumstances right now. Maybe choose one or two specific items to work on (like, no eating after 7pm and only regular program McDougall food, or whatever you think would be a nice small step). I wish you the best this week. How is your mom?

Linda - Nice job last week, I hope to hear from you this week too, and that it went okay too.

Belana - Good job last week as well! That’s so wonderful that your friends are noticing and being supportive. That removes much cognitive dissonance surrounding get together and trying to get along without going along.

Chris - I’ve heard that referred to on these boards as McDougall’s Revenge...LOL. Your losses since January are commendable and speak to making many great choices on a consistent basis. I hope this week has been a bit easier. XO

Sirdle - I didn’t think you actually had any debts, just being a good Roman. Yikes, bad neighbours can really make a living situation unbearable. I hope your new places is feeling more like home already. Thanks for posting that eye-opening comparison. That’s a whole day’s worth of sodium all in one serving....and so much fat...wow. (I just got to your post from this week) That’s wonderful that you’re walking. Is that new?

Moonlight! Nice to hear from you...please do stop by and say hello tomorrow. I’ll try not to take all week to say hello back. The kids are all on their spring break; it is two weeks long in this province. Two weeks! Why do they need that much time off? LOL. I miss my regular schedule. Ha!

Sue! - I miss your face (and lovely voice) already. Your write up is beautifully written. XO

Shelley - Week 2 and you are going strong. Congratulations. I’m glad you are finding what works best for you. What’s your favourite bean recipe?

Dan - Thanks for checking in on a busy week. You share a name with my Dad and my son. (In case you wanted to know that small bit of Amy trivia...LOL)

ANelson - Enjoy the conference and thank you for checking in. :)

Cena - I’m so excited too! That’s a big motivation threshold that you passed this week. I wish you many good choices this week.
amandamechele

Postby Belana » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:37 am

Hi All, busy day today...
Weight: 113.8
Total loss of 1.1 lbs.
Steady as she goes... :)
Belana

Postby amandamechele » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi All!

Thank you for checking in for another week!

I have a high school friend who looks forward to Discovery Channel’s* Shark Week, every year. She posts a count down and pictures of the shows and comments on what she thinks is funny or scary. It’s been a great way for continued bonding with many of us who live very far away from each other now. She’s a librarian at an American university and even hosts Shark Week festivities for the students there - costumes and all.

Two great review talks were released this week on Dr. Lisle’s Pleasure Trap/Ego Trap Dynamic. For me, it felt a bit like Penny’s Shark Week for those of us who enjoy learning and bonding over living well on plant-based/plant-exclusive foods but struggle with dietary adherence. Knowing why we struggle and that it can be overcome with some effort in understanding general motivational principles and creating individualized strategies based on those principles is just as important as understanding the McDougall MWL guidelines and recommendations.

Dr. Lisle’s talk on the Pleasure Trap/Ego Trap Dynamic: The Beat Your Genes Podcast #161: Explaining the Ego Trap, Part 1 of 2

Additionally here's a link to Dr. McDougall's recent webinar with Dr. Ornish Live with Dr. McDougall and Special Guests: Dr. Dean Ornish.

(I was lucky enough to meet Dr. Ornish at the 2016 McDougall Advanced Study Weekend. After watching AJ's great interview with him, his book Undo It is now on my list of must reads!).

Best wishes this week! Be kind to yourself while you continue to learn to navigate living well. It is a worthy effort. XO.

“The most unselfish thing you can do is care for yourself.” Dean Ornish

Amy

PS. You can still post this week’s weight loss. I’ll update the tally if any more numbers come in. :)

Here are the results for the fourth week in March:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, March 29th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 229.47 pounds

March 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 10.3 pounds

Week ending 03/22/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 1.6 pounds
---------------------------------------
Lorna1954a - 5.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 5.0
--------------------------------------
Shelley Crockett - 1.4
Dpascar - 0.0
Anelson108 - 0.0
Cena - 2.0
Sirdle - 1.9
Belana - 1.1
Amandamechele - 0.2
Rosey - 0.0
Michele613 - on hiatus but checking in!
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 6.6
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in March 2019: 8.7 pounds
Week ending 03/22/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 1.6 pounds
Week ending 03/15/2019: 13 participants reported a total loss of 13.5 pounds
Week ending 03/08/2019: 15 participants reported a total loss of 3.8 pounds
Week ending 03/01/2019: 15 participants reported a total loss of -8.6 pounds

*(Edit: Not HBO...LOL... I don’t know where my mind was there)
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby Rosey » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Opps weighed and forgot to log in because hubby was rushing me out door to go to dentist but there was no change in weight. still 276.1 lbs.
Rosey

Postby Michele613 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:21 am

Hi Amy,

I haven't reported for the last week or two.

I leave Arizona this week for Los Angeles for the weekend and tried home to Israel Apr 4.

It is very disappointing for me to be accountable for my COMPLETE fall from the program. I went from 2 months on program and 15-17 lbs lost to 5 weeks off program and gain back of 13.

Does not feel good at all to be so human but I will gather myself and regroup for April.

I was not on vacation but came to help close family members through some very unpleasant and emotionally draining situations.I fell into their pit too.

I am happy to see that some of the team are still succeeding...I hope to rejoin that part of the list in the future.

All should be well.
Michele613

Postby amandamechele » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 am

Belana - That’s what I like to hear! Steady as she goes. :)

Rosey - Awesome.... another example of steady as she goes.

Michele - I didn’t realize this was not a vacation, which can be difficult to navigate. Your situation would be even more difficult. Travel, family and stressful situation. Those are a lot of things to shake up a new lifestyle pattern. I hope you know that you have not failed. This is merely a set back and not necessarily as bad as you think. You are still down 2-4 pounds...you do not weight more than you did before you started (imagine what may have happened if you hadn’t come across the pond with this great head-start behind you). Secondly, some of that could be water retention due to higher sodium in your diet if you are eating out. Once you get back to a semblance of normalcy (whether that is right now or when you get home) you will have a better idea of where all the chips lay (I hope that isn’t taken as a bad pun...LOL). I am thrilled that you felt you could still come back and post for some accountability and trust that we want to be the wind beneath your wings because learning to fly is hard! Please join us soon. Make as many good choices while you are still there as you feel you can and don’t worry about being perfect. You can do this! XO
amandamechele

Postby Michele613 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:14 pm

Amy.....

Thanks for your support :)
Michele613

Postby moonlight » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:32 am

Thanks, Amy, for your encouraging words and the links. I hope to watch those sometime this week. Again, I was gone all weekend and didn't get a chance to weigh. I ate out all weekend. When I weighed yesterday I was up 4 lbs but I think that is probably from sodium and just being off my regular high fiber foods. I plan to get back into participating with this group next week. I don't have an all-consuming week coming up so hopefully my weight will go back down and I'll start losing again.

Good luck to everyone. Sirdle, I really admire your exercise report. I hope to report something similar this week. I'm aiming for 30 minutes daily - every day. :)

Welcome back, Michele. :)
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi Amy and Moonlight,

Yes the exercise is new. I often sit for 8-10 hours a day at work and then try to exercise in the evenings. Sometimes this works, but more often, it doesn't.

About 8 weeks ago I approached my boss and asked if I could extend my workday by 45 minutes, unpaid, so I could walk during the day. He happily agreed. So now, every 1-1/2 hours I get up and go for a fast 6-7 min walk. The walking helps clear my mind and keeps my back limber. I also get a little bit of sunshine.

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Dpascar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:20 am

Good morning, Lost 1.4 pounds this week.
Dpascar

Postby Shelley Crockett » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:45 am

Good morning everyone,

Loss = 0

Was a bit of a frustrating week, weight wise. I was fighting the same 1.4 lb. Up 1.4, down 1.4. But as our very brilliant Amy reminded me, I'm not gaining and most importantly I'm not having to measure my food.

On the bright side, 18 days (just over 2 weeks) after my McDougall visit I received a NORMAL blood sugar reading of 6.8! That made my day. I've been in normal range the last three days, but today was my first ever below 7 reading. Woot Woot!!

Next goal...daily normal readings and no meds.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Plants for the win!!
Shelley Crockett

Postby Shelley Crockett » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 am

Great job dpascar!!
Shelley Crockett

Postby sirdle » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:21 am

A loss of 0.9 lbs this week.

sirdle

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program