February 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby sirdle » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:24 pm

squealcat wrote:I just had the salad (it did have garbanzo beans on it ) and waited 20 minutes to see if I was still hungry....and I forgot I was waiting and went about my day. -Marilyn (squealcat)

You crack me up. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Frymom » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:42 pm

Hola! I spent the week in London with my daughter. I bought rice, beans, fruits and veggies, but also had to navigate restaurants and chocolate! I was happy and surprised to see a 1.6 lb loss for the week, making 17.2 pounds lost since January 4th. I am pleased and want to continue. The clothes are getting loose. Yay!

Chris
Frymom

Postby Ellen N » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:45 pm

I just accidentally posted in January thread, oops. I have lost 1 # this past week, weight is 161#. I did well at my weekend retreat, cheated only a little. Am feeling sort of blah, tired and weak, no energy, no stamina for exercise. Plan to get ferritin drawn in a week and a half and check my iron status.
Ellen N

Postby landog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:38 pm

I'm at 141.0 Down 1.5 lbs.

Thanks!
-dog
landog

Postby fiftysix » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 pm

same weight as last week.
fiftysix

Postby amandamechele » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for checking-in this week. Your numbers are looking good and I love hearing about all of the little tweaks and new strategies you are employing to figure out this whole compliance thing. Woo hoo! We are leaving February behind with some great momentum!

This board has helped so many people find support and friendship after being inspired by attending a program or reading one of Dr. McDougall’s books to lose weight or reverse a chronic ailment. It can be fun to retrospectively follow someone’s progress and learn from them. What level of adherence did they require? Which program, regular or MWL? Did they struggle or breeze through the process? You can find an example for each side of every coin you toss here. :) What this tells me is that there are so many paths to success that we just have to select one and just keep on walking it.

Here is Star McDougaller Nettie Taylor’s story.

I love these success-stories for their ability to remind me of what is possible, especially after a not so adherent day. But a snap-shot in time can only tell us so much.
Nettie was also a very active board member and shared so much wisdom here over the years, I highly recommend taking a read and really getting to know her! :) :)

Down 50 Pounds and Counting - Again!
Now Down 60 pounds!
Now Down 80 Pounds!
Now 90 pounds down
Now Down 135 pounds!
Now Down 140 pounds!
Portion Control

As Nettie says in her online signature “If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Let’s not do what we’ve always done this week!

Amy XO

PS. Next week, we will be doing the weigh-in in the March 2019 thread. It doesn’t exist yet, I will post it on Thursday evening.

Here are the results for the fourth week in February:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, March 1st, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 219.37 pounds

February 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.84 pounds

Week ending 02/22/2019: 22 participants reported a total loss of 42.64 pounds
---------------------------------------
Moonlight - 2.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 2.0
--------------------------------------
Squealcat - 3.6
Dpascar - 2.8
Anne57 - 0.3
Sirdle - 1.5
Alishana - 1.0
Anelson108 - 2.0
Belana - 2.0
Rosey - 0.0
Humberto - 0.0
Linda Dorrill - 2.0
Jaap Amesz - 18.74
Taz432 - 1.8
Lorna1954a - 2.0
Idgie - 0.0
Frymom - 1.6
Ellen N - 1.0
Landog - 1.5
Fiftysix - 0.0
Amandamechele - 0.0
Michele613 - 0.8
Cena - 2.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 44.64
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in February 2019: 78.84 pounds
Week ending 02/22/2019: 22 participants reported a total loss of 42.64 pounds
Week ending 02/15/2019: 21 participants reported a total loss of 6.4 pounds
Week ending 02/08/2019: 19 participants reported a total loss of 21.5 pounds
Week ending 02/01/2019: 23 participants reported a total loss of 8.3 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:49 am

Landog - Thank you very much for joining us again for your Unprocessed February. You continue to show us what is possible with great adherence. This month you went from 146 to 141. 5 pounds in 1 month for someone not overweight. Look at what is possible everyone! I’m still amazed that last year, at the beginning of February you weighed 167. I don’t consistently read the other forums, but have you considered writing up your account of the past year and a bit for the Testimonials and Success Stories board? I think many people would be very inspired to see your journey all in one place.

Landog,

I just went to the Lounge...LOL...and it looks like you have done just this. I’m going to go and read it now. :)

Amy

(Edited to add: This is a story everyone will want to read: 10 Years “McDougalling” - heart bypass surgery. It may have you considering stepping up your MWL compliance a couple of notches.)
Last edited by amandamechele on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby Belana » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:18 am

Idgie wrote:I know it sounds like my dog ate my homework, but my scale broke and I'm waiting on the new one. For a while, my brain was all "Well, then, I can go off-plan until the new scale comes." See how dumb my brain can be?

I'm going to the store for more sweet potatoes today. The new scale will not be the boss of me. :-)

Hi Idgie, I'm impressed with your MWL recipe website! Thank you for doing that!
I'm absolutely NOT an enthusiastic cook. I confess to not like cooking at all.
I don't cook any recipes, I just eat the basics however, I know that eventually, I'll want to eat something tastier, and I'll definitely refer to your MWL website which I've bookmarked. I'll bookmark it on my smartphone too. Inept cooks like me appreciate your efforts!
I hope you get your new scale soon and that you rule it, not the other way around. :-D
Cheers,
~belana
Belana

Postby Belana » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:34 am

amandamechele wrote:Laura - Awesome! I hope you have had continued success this week. I can say absolutely yes, if you do it every time, it does get easier. It’s the going back and forth between MWL and more stimulating types of food that can keep your cravings stoked.

Moonlight - Giving your all to something and not having the success you want can be uncomfortable and disappointing sometimes, but those days and weeks and months of success make up for it. They feel amazing...exciting...inspiring... like you just drank a bottle of happiness! It just takes some time to get there. Let’s keep inspiring each other to show up and do our best and chase those blues away. XO. We’ll show them that everything, everything will be alright. ;)

Marilyn - Hey, its nice to have you back! Wow, congratulations on the wonderful January results. Yep, those 3.6 for this week are going in the tally! I have never tried sauerkraut on a potato, but that sounds delicious. We have a low sodium brand out here that is good, so thank you for the suggestion. It sounds like you have figured out how to get closer to the MWL guidelines in a comfortable and satisfying way. That is success!

Dpascar - Great loss! Enjoy the slopes. :)

Anne - You checked in every week and had a loss. Fantastic month! Soup and sequencing and snacks...oh my! LOL. These are all great habits. Are you enjoying working from home?

Sirdle - Nice!

Alishana - Great loss. Magnifique!

ANelson108 - Fantastic loss! Cooking at home ensures control over the ingredients and portions, but eating out can be a nice break from preparation too. Most places are just not able to remove all of the oil (or enough of it) to adhere to the MWL guidelines, sadly. I’m sure you’ve seen this presentation by Mary McDougall, but I’ll link it just in case you haven’t: Dining Out When You Must. Best wishes for the moving week.

Belana - Woot woot! It’s not a fluke, it’s your great effort and diligence. Follow the plan well and this is what happens. Congratulations. There is a monthly maintenance thread (that the wonderful Lindsay facilitates) that you can continue your journey with when you wish to make that shift.

Rosey - XO. You’re still here and doing this. As frustrating as it can be. You have made such good ground....keep that in mind. I totally get it. My first 5 years trying to do this were uneventful and I lost 30 pounds for that whole time based on the changes I made consistently (that may sound like I chose to make only a few changes, nope, I was trying every single day to make all the right changes, I just wasn’t having consistent success). Then I changed a few more things that I learned while learning even more and I began to have more success...60 more pounds....stalled out 1-2 years....lost 20 more.... gained back that 20....2 more years of stalling....another slight creep up.....then down.....then up..... Gah! LOL. Let’s just keep showing up until we hit our next deep grooves, to quote Dr. Lisle. We all come with our different struggles and situations, but perseverance, reflection and refinement can get us to the Hall of Fame in our own life!

Humberto - Hola! You’ll get back there. Your potato medley sound scrumptious. :)

Linda - How lovely! Red roses, yellow roses; what a dear husband he is. Good loss and lesson for the week. Every bite does matter...and so does life satisfaction. You made healthy meals and satisfied yourself and your guests. MWL or not, that was a win. Now, if you want to continue your amazing rate of loss, then you are right to sweat the small stuff like this. But, otherwise, just keep up your current effort, it’s working and you haven’t had to sacrifice enjoyment in other areas of your life to get this far.

amandamechele,
Thanks so much for your support messages to all.
It's appreciated!
Belana

Postby Michele613 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi Amy,

Down .8

I did not know my sister had a scale so weighed this morning, Sunday. Being surrounded by the sights and smells of a zillion restaurants and fast food outlets in Scottsdale, which I don't experience in Israel, is driving me 'craving'. Since I eat only kosher food I am spared from caving into such temptations but it is creating increased challenges.

Glad to see that so many of the team are doing well. ...... have a successful week!
Michele613

Postby alishana » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:39 pm

amandachele Merci ! Thank you for you support :D

I was wandering, is semolina/couscous (i'm not sure of how you call it) allowed for this program ?
alishana

Postby cena » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:37 pm

I totally forgot about posting Friday. I'm not in the count, but lost 2 pounds yet again. I literally cry when I weigh and it keeps going down. Soup is my friend!
cena

Postby amandamechele » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 am

Belana - It's my pleasure! :)

Michele - Hi, thanks for checking-in during your vacation. Nice loss, you are obviously choosing to fight those cravings by not giving into them. That may be the best course in this situation in order to stay true to your goals and current momentum. Best wishes with that added challenges, and hopefully they are not cutting too much into your enjoyment of visiting your sister and the States. With so much catching up and fun things to see that hopefully you are able to distract yourself by keeping too busy to pay much attention to the cravings will help. I'll add you to the tally.

Alishana - De rien. :) I had to look up the difference between the two because I didn't realize one (couscous) was a product of the other (semolina). It is slightly processed, and the MWL guidelines advise to avoid processed grains. That being said it is still quite course and when you calculate the calories per pound you will see that it comes to approximately 508 cal/pound which isn't bad. Reconstituted with water in a soup or by making couscous and serving it with other lower calorie density vegetables will bring that down too. Jeff calls it an unrefined processed whole grain. If you find you are not prone to overeating pastas, then this is a fine choice.

Cena - All losses get added to the tally...reported late or not...LOL. We must recognize and celebrate these efforts. I'm getting a little misty eyed for you. It is sooo nice to hear your excitement.
amandamechele

Postby alishana » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:07 pm

amandachele Thank you ! I've made some because I was cooking for a lot of friends and it's very quick. It's was good and very filling. Nice to change grains a bit :-D Thanks again for you respond and I keep in mind to not eat that everyday.
alishana

Postby JeffN » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:20 am

alishana wrote:amandachele Merci ! Thank you for you support :D

I was wandering, is semolina/couscous (i'm not sure of how you call it) allowed for this program ?

Couscous could be considered like pasta as it is not a whole grain but made from the ground flour. The same guidelines would apply, make sure it is whole grain couscous and for MWL make sure that up to 50% of your plate by visual volume is non-starchy vegetables.

Here is an example

https://www.vitacost.com/shiloh-farms-o ... us-15-oz-2

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program