Chia & Hemp Seeds

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Chia & Hemp Seeds

Postby Belana » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Is it okay to add a teaspoon of hemp or chia seeds once a day, and still lose weight on the Maximum Weight Loss Diet?
Belana

Re: Chia & Hemp Seeds

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Nuts and seeds are not recommended on the MWL plan.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Belana » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:59 am

If supplementing Omega-3 from chia and hemp seeds isn't recommended, then where are Omega-3 fatty acids coming from in the Maximum Weight Loss Diet?
Does Dr. McDougall not recommend supplementation of Omega-3 or not?
I did read about the possibility of supplementing B12, but is that all?
Belana

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:49 pm

Jeff has written about this at length, but I could not locate the posts. You can find the answers to just about everything in his forum.

Short version (if memory serves me right) is that all plants have the omegas in the correct ratios, so none needs to be added, but if you like, ground flax is your best choice (1 tbsp in oatmeal is what I do).

I saw you mention that you used to follow Dr. Furhmen’s recommendations. While there is a lot of overlap, there are some details where Dr. McDougall differs. He’s not big on salads or supplements. Eat some starch, and a little veg, take B-12 a couple times a week and you’re good to go.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Belana » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks Lindsey,
Although I lost a lot of weight on the Fuhrman diet in 2010. obviously, it didn't work for me otherwise, I wouldn't be on a diet again.
I think the MWL diet is better for me personally, because I believe I will be able to finally stick with it after I reach my goal weight, because of the starch philosophy.
I hope to be fully on the MWL diet soon, as I'm still studying it, and getting my life prepared to commit completely to this. That's how I succeeded on the Fuhrman diet.
I don't like to cook, so I need to be strategic in how I plan and prepare to do this successfully.
For assistance in easy meal prep, I bought, 'The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook.'
I'm definitely amenable to any suggestions on quick and easy MWL recipes. I think I'll post a query about that...

Thanks again to you Lindsey, and everyone else for their support.
I sincerely appreciate it!
Belana

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:14 pm

You are doing great. Here is a great little hand out that has a few simple and easy recipes I eat the oatmeal mist mornings, and the pasta primavera is part if my regular rotation. Fine ingredients, just heat through and eat.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/Advance ... t_3-13.pdf
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program