Maximum Weight Loss Snacks and Support

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Maximum Weight Loss Snacks and Support

Postby Belana » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:14 pm

I’m about to begin the Maximum Weight Loss Diet. I was hoping that someone here will explain in detail about what kind of snacks are allowed? The book doesn't give much detailed advice about snacks.
Also, is it Okay to just eat steel-cut and old-fashioned oatmeal most mornings if I don't feel like cooking potatoes?
I know eggs are off-limits, but why aren't egg-whites allowed?
I'm fine not eating any eggs at all, but I still would like to know-why no egg-whites?

I was also wondering if this is the right place to get support?
I’m not a member of Facebook, so hopefully, this is the place to get support, but if it’s not, will someone please let me know where I can get support while I’m on this diet?
I believe I’m going to have to stick to the Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines for a long time, so it would be nice to communicate with others while I’m following this diet strictly.
One last question, I have a difficult time eating salads. I know fruit-juice is off-limits, but is it okay to use small amounts of fruit-juice when making homemade salad dressings? I have a lot of salt, oil, and sugar-free (SOS) dressing recipes, that taste much better than the store-bought, oil-free dressings. May I use those recipes? They're from the True North Health Center and Chef Bravo.
TIA
Belana

Re: MWL Snacks?

Postby JeffN » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Belana wrote: I’m about to begin the Maximum Weight Loss Diet. I was hoping that someone here will explain in detail about what kind of snacks are allowed? The book doesn't give much detailed advice about snacks.

Most people eat the same foods for snacks as they did for their meals.

Belana wrote: Also, is it Okay to just eat steel-cut and old-fashioned oatmeal most mornings if I don't feel like cooking potatoes?

Yes. You can eat oatmeal every morning. Here is an article on this and creating simple healthy habits

https://www.drmcdougall.com/2018/09/13/ ... hy-habits/

Belana wrote: I know eggs are off-limits, but why aren't egg-whites allowed? I'm fine not eating any eggs at all, but I still would like to know-why no egg-whites?

Read this article on eggs and egg whites.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... ereggs.htm

Belana wrote: I was also wondering if this is the right place to get support?
I’m not a member of Facebook, so hopefully, this is the place to get support, but if it’s not, will someone please let me know where I can get support while I’m on this diet?

This is it. And we have a weekly weigh-in thread. You can find (and join) the January thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59073

Belana wrote: One last question, I have a difficult time eating salads. I know fruit-juice is off-limits, but is it okay to use small amounts of fruit-juice when making homemade salad dressings? I have a lot of salt, oil, and sugar-free (SOS) dressing recipes, that taste much better than the store-bought, oil-free dressings. May I use those recipes? They're from the True North Health Center and Chef Bravo.
TIA

Salads are not required. Here is an article on Salads...

https://www.drmcdougall.com/2018/10/11/ ... d-success/

You are welcome.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Snacks and Support

Postby Belana » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks JeffN for your responses. I appreciate it.
I read in Dr. McDougall's book about decaf coffee. He stated without any explanations, that decaf coffee may cause weight gain. I was surprised to read this. Why would decaf coffee cause weight gain?
Belana

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Belana wrote:Thanks JeffN for your responses. I appreciate it.
I read in Dr. McDougall's book about decaf coffee. He stated without any explanations, that decaf coffee may cause weight gain. I was surprised to read this. Why would decaf coffee cause weight gain?

Plain decaf coffee is allowed on the program. Not a health food, not recommended, but allowed.

Without added sugars, milks, creams, etc, it has virtually no calories and does not contribute to weight gain.

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Belana » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks for answering.
I'm giving it up for the duration of this diet anyhow. I don't like it without cream, so I'm drinking herbal tea instead.
Belana

Postby Michele613 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 pm

HELP EVERYONE.....I will be flying in two weeks. I need FOOD IDEAS other than dry oatmeal and cut raw veggies.

I have read the prior posts over the years re 'travelling' etc but none of them really address a LONG LONG flying time.
I need to cover 22 HOURS of flying-airport time................(1) international flight = at airport 3 hrs before flight (2) 15 hour flight Israel to Los Angeles (3) 4 hour layover and an additional (4) 1.5 hr connecting flight.

I cannot take fruit (but will confirm) and I can only take so much of fruit anyway even if I can (also high in calories if eaten frequently over the course of that span) - I can take prepared lettuce but would have to eat that close to the beginning of flight or it will be wilted. BAKED potatoes yes but again.......not for 22 hours.

Maybe??? I could take some canned beans but not sure and I know I can't take a can opener in carry-on but will also confirm.

My brain is mush at this point .....any other calorie dense foods.....trail mix is high CD.

I could take a couple of sandwiches I guess and assemble on the plane....again, bread isn't my best bet and they would only get me half way through the flight.

Since my flight is at midnight there will be some sleeping but again I will not have eaten much during the hours before going to the airport as I usually have an anxious stomach before travel no matter how calm or prepared I am.

TIA :)
Michele613

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program