January 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Kerrilyn2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:43 pm

No change
Kerrilyn2

Postby anelson108 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Weigh-in today: 203.2
Last week: 199.8
Results: 3.4 pounds gained
Total loss (since joining MWL): 1.4 pounds
Goal weight: 150 pounds (5' 6" height)
NOTE: I gained weight because I ate too much fat 'here-n-there' all this week. I will have to cut out the fat.
anelson108

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:56 pm

I am so impressed with everyone’s commitment to healthy eating. Here we are over three weeks into the new year with great results! Your positive attitudes and willingness to try something new are really showing up on the scale.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Dark Blonde » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:01 pm

Starting: 303
Last Week: 295.5
Today: 295
Weekly loss: .5
Total loss: 8

I have been traveling all week and eating out a lot. I am delighted to have lost another half pound. It was hard to make healthy choices with restaurant menus in front of me, but I did!
Last edited by Dark Blonde on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Blonde

Postby Lorna1954a » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:49 am

Hi and thanks for the prayers on my mom’s behalf. She is in rehab now but still having small strokes. She is my reminder to stay true to this way of eating. I lost 4.5 pounds this week week. I started at 258 and I am at 249.5.
Lorna1954a

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:02 am

Chris - Thank you for sharing so much about your journey. What you’ve said about certain foods triggering you into overeating is something that I, and so many others here can relate to. As I read your post I could almost feel the emotions and cravings myself. You’ve had a LOT of success eating well by following the program, seeing the benefits to your and your husband’s health. I hope you continue to learn more about yourself and enjoy the process of discovery. I love hearing about it. Beunos dias!

LauraG - I know you weren’t talking to me when you were responding to Chris...but I wanted to chime in and say...you are not alone! I used to think I was the only one that so consistently struggled. I figured that the people that lost weight must be trying so much harder than me...even though it really did/does feel like I am always working at it. The longer I belong to this website and the FB groups, the more I realize just how many people struggle in the exact same way. We all just have different hurdles to jump over. Obesity is a heterogenous disorder, as the scientists say.
Also, congratulations on your loss this week. :) Keep doing what you’re doing. Solidify those patterns, and then slowly, one at a time, tackle those other habits.

Alishana - Happy Birthday! Grace and getting back on track are the right strategy for this coming week. XO

Linda - It was your birthday too! I missed so much this week. It sounds like it was absolutely lovely. I have experienced the same joy and peace you are feeling while eating this way. I think it’s a combination of better physiological health and feelings of self-esteem working in concert to show you just how wonderful life can really be! That’s quite the birthday gift that you’ve given yourself.

Michele - I’m sorry you lost such a good friend. I’m sure Midnight will not mind sharing the fridge (or wherever you have hung her photo in your kitchen) with pictures of the other people that you love too! 11 grandkids...how fun... you must feel very blessed/fortunate. LOL, your sister’s monogamy is admirable... that must be one well loved cat. I guess I live in a slightly more promiscuous household...:eek: LOL. Great loss this week, it’s a small positive coming out of an otherwise difficult week for you. I hope you continue to feel better this week.

Harnette63 - Welcome! This is the right spot to post. I’m so happy to hear that eating this way is helping with your pain and inflammation. Potatoes, rice and veggies to the rescue! Congratulations on your substantial losses thus far. Keep up the great effort. I’m not sure how familiar you are with the MWL program, so if you are looking for more information, there are links in the first post on the first page of this thread. (If you can’t find them, let me know and I’ll re-post them).

Anne57 - Great work keeping ahead of all of the prep work with such a hectic schedule and so many people to cook for. And you’ve found time to walk! You are rocking it! Best wishes with your goal for the coming week to add more veggies to your plate. That’s a very reasonable thing to try for.

Linda - Hi Again. Congratulations! What a lovely idea; a great non-food treat to celebrate your losses so far.

Moonlight - I salute your efforts, as it seems your self-esteem is also doing this week. Continue to be strong against those inner cravings....show them who’s boss and they will quiet down.

Artista - Nice loss. Best wishes this week. :)

Humberto - I’m so happy for you too! Congratulations this week.

Rosey - Double WOOT!

fiftysix - The bright side... no lost ground this week. Best wishes for the coming week.

Ellen - You are doing great! 5 pounds in 3 weeks is excellent. You are also doing great with the eating. Giving into temptation happens. Keep up the effort to minimize the slips, while recognizing that they may well happen again.

Kerrilyn2 - Thank you for checking in! Best wishes for the coming week.

ANelson108 - I’m so glad you have chosen to continue checking-in. It can take a bit of bravery to do so during a tough week. It sounds like you’ve figured out an area for improvement...so I wish you the best for this coming week. You’ve got this!

Lindsey - You’re the best! :)

Dark Blonde - Yes! You did it. Congratulations and best wishes for continued good choices this week. XO.

Lorna - I’m sorry to hear this and hope she will recover without too much disability. It’s a sad form of motivation, to see your mom going through these health issues, but you are making the right choice to take care of yourself now... for both you and her. XO
amandamechele

Postby Frymom » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:15 am

This week I lost 2.8 lbs for a total loss since Jan 4 of 11.4 lbs. Woo Hoo! Potatoes, veggies and fruit for the win!
Feeling hopeful,
Chris
Frymom

Postby Dpascar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:26 am

Hello all,

Starting weight 11/4/18 was 229.4
Weight last week was 201.5
Weight this week is 198.5
Down 3 pounds this week
Dpascar

Postby AnneG » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:50 am

I am down 1.8 pounds for the week.

My weigh in this morning is a big relief for me - things are very stressful in my life at this time and it is so tempting to turn to food for comfort. I know that’s not healthy emotionally or physically but it is the pattern I have had as long as I can remember. I am carving out time for a walk each day although that is short at this time due to other obligations. I should be able to lengthen the time is about a month, after some deadlines pass, but until then I will continue to do what walks I can and concentrate on eating healthy foods for fuel.
AnneG

Postby newbie2019 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 am

Hi Everyone,
Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Cold here in NJ. Loving the McDougal program :) Missed reporting my weight last week. Sorry I was traveling.

Start weight - 154
Today weight - 150

Down 4 pounds. Getting into the swing of things and hitting the groove.
newbie2019

Postby Belana » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:09 pm

I realized that I made my first post in the December 2018 Weigh In Thread instead of this one. Oops!
I hope I'm posting correctly this time, and that someone will respond to my post with a confirmation that I'm in the right place.
I weigh the same as last week, since I haven't started the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program yet. I hope to start the MWL program next week.
I want to lose 20 lbs.
I've been reading the MWL book, and a lot of information on this website and on the discussion board.
I've posted questions, watched videos, and I believe I'm finally beginning to understand what to do.
I've received great responses to my questions in regard to some of the outdated information in the original MWL book, so that has helped a lot. I now understand the updated MWL guidelines, so I'll disregard the outdated ones. Had I not come to this forum, I would have been making a lot of mistakes.
I believe I'm ready to start meal-planning and going to the grocery to buy the necessary ingredients to begin cooking the prescribed meals.
I'm not a fan of cooking for myself, so I think I'm going to keep things super simple and eat potatoes or oatmeal in the mornings, soups, stews, frozen or nuked veggies (steaming when in a hurry is a pain), lots of beans and legumes with my veggies, and potatoes or rice for lunch. Salad or soup, cooked veggies, legumes and beans, rice and potatoes for dinner with the same foods for snacks. I will follow the MWL percentage guidelines for what kind of food to put on my plate, and have fruit for breakfast and dessert during dinner or lunch only. I won't use fruit for snacks.
I will however use rice cakes for snacks when I'm skiing, unless anyone thinks I shouldn't. I need easy pocket food that won't make a mess.
Someone mentioned small potatoes. I'll try those, but I may bring an apple instead. An apple is just easy, and I don't have to cook an apple!
I'm guessing my weight loss will be slow, but I will try to post here every week.
If anyone has any suggestions regarding this post, I'll be happy to read them.
I'm glad this thread exists, because I need the support. Dieting is extremely difficult for me, and doing this all by myself with no one to talk to makes it worse.
A couple last things...
I'm thinking that one of the easiest things to do for snacks is to just eat a potato. It's a no-brainier, and seems like the easiest thing to do. Especially, when one is in a hurry.
Does anyone do this, and if so, have you still been able to lose weight?
Lastly, I wish there was a way to connect with individuals who are on this diet by phone or Skype. I don't mind writing, but being able to connect with an actual human would be great. I live in Bend, OR. If anyone would like to buddy up and connect in person with me for mutual support, I'd certainly be amenable!
I saw that we can send private messages (PM), so please feel free to contact me.
My wish would be to have an actual weekly, bi-weekly or monthly group of folks following the McDougall lifestyle, but I'd be happy with a phone or Skype buddy!
Cheers and good luck to all who are doing this!
Belana

Postby AnneG » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Belana wrote:"...I'm thinking that one of the easiest things to do for snacks is to just eat a potato. It's a no-brainier, and seems like the easiest thing to do. Especially, when one is in a hurry.
Does anyone do this, and if so, have you still been able to lose weight..."

I have had potatoes as snack with good results. I am fine eating them plain or cold but also like them with mustard. Last fall, I did a Mary's Mini with potatoes and had them when I was hungry between meals. It worked for me! I don't remember what my weight loss was with that but it definitely worked. I am not well versed on some of the MWL guidelines so please don't take this as an plan endorsement, though. :-)
AnneG

Postby anne57 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby Humberto » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Hello AmandaMechele, please accept my belated response “stuff” been happening.
I came to know Don Miguel Ruiz via a coworker around the year 2008. I was reading The Active Side of Infinity by Carlos Castaneda and in speaking with my coworker she mentioned the book The Four Agreements and so I began to discover Don Miguel Ruiz. DMR is what we call in Mexico a sorcerer. But the word for us means a person who is closer to the source. A good thing not a bad thing. The source, being the one source. He has many books and his sons also write.

Regarding the 10 pounds in one week – “sodium homeostasis in extracellular fluid” – wow, and thank you for helping me to grow.

And a super thank you for the well intention words and guidance. It is really appreciated. I mentioned the alcohol to see / to receive feedback, so thank you.

It’s amazing that without seeing someone, without meeting someone, without hearing their voice, we are able to connect. Our words carry our vibrations. And the humanity in your words are heart felt. I continue to feel very lucky to be part of the group and for your communications.

My next favorite is the >>
Chipotle Pumpkin Soup
This is a spicy variation of a delicious pumpkin soup with black beans that I have been making for years. This tastes great and is easy to make too!

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4

4 cups vegetable broth
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
⅛ Teaspoon chipotle powder
1 - 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (since I like pumpkin the second time I doubled this also added two cinnamon sticks)
1 - 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
¾ cup salsa, mild, medium or hot

Place 1/3 cup of the broth in a large pot. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes, then add the chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the pumpkin is well mixed into the broth.

Hint: This is wonderful with a scoop of hot brown rice added to each individual serving bowl.

All the best to all,
Humberto
“May Kindness be our Walk”

PS:
Don Miguel Ruiz
Transformation happens to those who change the world--the world they create in their own minds.

Abraham / Hicks (Jerry & Ester)
As your world or your government, or individuals within your government, make decisions about what is better for you, and as they try to protect you from every possible potential experience, your lives become rather cumbersome, don’t they? All you ever need is a vibration of Well-being.
Humberto

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:47 pm

Hi All,

What a wonderful week! Congratulations to everyone and thank you for checking-in. I thought you may want to take a breather from the MWL informational stream to consolidate what you have learned so far. So I’ll tell a story instead. :)

I am reading a book, by Johann Hari, called Lost Connections about the author’s struggle with depression/anxiety and his quest to speak with many experts in the field to gain a better understanding of himself, and thus others who struggle similarly. He is quite engaging and I am thoroughly enjoying his writing which explores depression through a lens of lost social connections, much as he explored addiction through that lens in his first book. (As an aside, one memorable quote of Hari’s, from his TED talk, the opposite of addiction is not sobriety: the opposite of addiction is connection particularly resonates with me.)
But what got me thinking this morning was a vignette near the beginning of this book describing the nature of the Placebo Effect by telling the story of Dr. John Haygarth and Perkin’s wands.
John Haygarth (JH) was a doctor in the English city of Bath, in the late 1700s. He had begun to hear stories of miraculous recoveries from patients previously incapacitated with long-term pain from a variety of causes. He learned that the people experiencing such relief had turned to a company run by a Dr. Elisha Perkins, which provided a specialized service using what they called a tractor wand to draw the pain out of people’s bodies. The tractor was a proprietary metal rod that could be used only by specially trained individuals. Dr. JH felt this was some sort of deception, but it wasn’t coming from the patients he spoke with; They seemed genuinely relieved of pain and debilitation (for a period of time, at least). So Dr. JH and some colleagues decided to conduct an experiment in which they used a fake Perkin’s Wand (created by themselves of wood and metal) on 5 patients. To their surprise, 4 of the 5 patients believed themselves to be free of pain after the fact. Dr. JH had other colleagues try this experiment on many more patients to similar effect. After considering and discarding the notion that there was some unknown property attributable to the wand at play, Haygarth realized two things were happening when providing medical treatment to patients. He was providing a drug or procedure that affects the body in some way AND he was providing a story about how the treatment affects the patient. He found that the story told to patients is often enough, in and of itself, for some of them to experience recovery from their malady. This has become known as the Placebo Effect. (Also check out Irving Kirsch’s book The Emperor’s New Drugs for more on this effect with relation to antidepressants backed by much research).
Now, to try and explain why I think this story is so important for weight loss. What Haygarth and Irving (whose story I didn’t tell) realized was that this Placebo Effect was providing patients with a belief that they are being looked after and offered a solution, revealing just how important the power of belief can be in certain circumstances.
This had me considering what I, personally, think keeps me believing and working towards weight loss here in this particular space (because, evidently, the accompanying health benefits and the desire to be skinny aren’t enough motivation), even in the face of poor odds of long-term success and much struggling. It IS that combination of being looked after (emotional guidance/support) and being offered a solution (evidence-based guidelines). This can be reframed as being offered connection in the form of guidance/support and the alleviation of decision-making responsibility in a time of stress when one feels less able to evaluate available options (think decision fatigue after trying 20 diet plans that just didn’t work).
In my mind, belonging to a support group for inspiration is an example of self-selected serial-renewal of the placebo effect.
It took me a long time to want to pick a team, so to speak, but once I did the benefit became quite evident through weight loss/maintenance of the loss. This may explain why I now love those inspiration stories so much, or why I re-listen to Dr. McDougall’s webinars over and over again, or why I enjoy belonging to so many groups that discuss this way of eating. It really has helped.
To recap: by (1) periodically renewing our belief in what is possible through inspiration, (2) finding competent and caring people to guide us through our particular issue (I’m referring to the McDougall staff here), (3) making the effort to belong to a group to whatever degree we are comfortable with, and (4) making the effort to reach out to that group for help or offer help up when we have some to give, we have a better chance of making it to our own individual finish line with extra energy to continue running the race with those that started after us. This will enable long-term connections to form which will satisfy innate needs which will increase the probability of this pattern of eating truly becoming a part of your life for the long-term.

So, with that thought dangling, I will dangle one more: I’ll re-post my inspirational-story and pictures for the February Weigh-In next Friday. Some of you may not have seen it yet and it will give you a face to connect with my posts. (Please remember, I am a work in progress and look much the same as last year, but I have held my ground relatively-well, and am still in the ring ready for the next match... it seems I can even make inspiration uninspiring...oh man...LOL)

Amy XO.

PS. A review that I read on Hari’s book, indicated his ideas sound a bit like the Human Givens Model of psychotherapy. I am not familiar with it, quite honestly, but from a quick glance at their website and Wikipedia, a number of the nine emotional needs that they identify can absolutely be explained through an evolutionary psychology lens and thus with a language re-vamp may pass the Doug Lisle sniff-test... though they may not... LOL. Maybe I’ll ask him what he thinks when I go to the 3-day program in March.

PPS. Yikes, that was long. Best wishes this week everyone! I hope to see you in the February thread.

Here are the results for the fourth week in January:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, February 1st, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 140.53 pounds

January 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds

Week ending 01/25/2019: 23 participants reported a total loss of 32.6 pounds
---------------------------------------
ANelson108 - 3.4
Amandamechele - 0.2
Alishana - 3.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 6.6
--------------------------------------
Michele613 - 3.4
Anne57 - 0.8
Linda Dorrill - 3.0
Harnette63 - 0.0
Moonlight - 1.0
Artista - 1.6
LauraG - 1.0
ColoradoHiker - 0.9
Humberto - 6.6
Rosey - 3.3
Fiftysix - 0.0
Ellen N - 1.0
Kerrilyn2 - 0.0
Dark Blonde - 0.5
Lorna1954a - 4.5
Frymom - 2.8
Dpascar - 3.0
AnneG - 1.8
Newbie2019 - 4.0
Belana - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 39.2
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Week ending 01/25/2019: 23 participants reported a total loss of 32.6 pounds
Week ending 01/18/2019: 27 participants reported a total loss of 21.8 pounds
Week ending 01/11/2019: 28 participants reported a total loss of 61.93 pounds
Week ending 01/04/2019: 34 participants reported a total loss of 24.2 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program