January 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

January 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Welcome to the January Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!

My name is Amy and by following recommendations made by Dr. McDougall, I've lost more than 90 pounds and would love for you to have the same success.
I imagine you’re here because you are hopeful and curious about the potential to lose weight and gain health all at the same time. (Or you’re re-joining us for even more losses - just like I am working towards).

Here is the quickest crash course available on how to get started following the McDougall Maximum-Weight-Loss Plan:

JeffN wrote:A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.

2) Choose fruit for desert.

3) Greatly reduce of eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6) Eliminate any added oil.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Best wishes for getting started today with your new plans to get healthier this year. The people in this forum are a great group who are happy to chime in and help answer any questions you may have while getting started, so please tell us about yourself, your goals and if you have questions, please ask them. Also...don’t forget to watch the Calorie Density video. :D :-D :)

I look forward to hearing from you on Friday for the weigh-in!

Amy

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: January 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:42 pm

For greater detail on both the regular and MWL program please visit the How to Begin Forum!

Let’s do this!!
amandamechele

Postby anne57 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby Rosey » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:30 am

Happy New Years everyone. Last here wasn't perfect but from 307 lbs to 272.2 lbs is good I'd say. Wish it had been better I'm planning on this year being much better.
Rosey

Postby deidra » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:41 am

Hi, looking forward to healthy changes this year.
deidra

Postby moonlight » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:59 am

Thank you, Amy, for keeping this group going in 2019. I am excited to share my ups and downs with this group. I did a little math and discovered I lost 20 pounds in 2018 and 33 pounds total since I started back on the MWL plan in November 2017. I must admit my first thought was disappointment at "only" losing 20 lbs. in 2018. However, I am very pleased with how I feel and look. Being down 33 lbs. has made a significant positive influence on my lifestyle and mental attitude. I think the second half of 2018 I really slowed down with weight loss. Hopefully, I can pick up the pace, stay more compliant to the program, and get rid of the next 30 lbs. this year.

I usually pick a word or phrase to carry with me as the new year begins. This year I am taking a saying from JeffN's calorie density lecture. My intention for 2019 is to Square the Curve. :D

CHEERS to a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
moonlight

Postby anelson108 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:25 pm

Hello Amy and everyone! Happy New Year! I just joined the forum a few minutes ago. I'm glad to have this accountability forum! This will be a great year of weight loss and true behavioral change for me! ~Angela
Last edited by anelson108 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anelson108

Postby snester » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:48 pm

My name is Sherri Nester I'm 70 years old and I've lost 95lbs since last April. I've got another 140 or so to lose. Started going to pot luck with friends once a week and everything stopped. Want to get back on track. I know being part of this discussion will help. Looking forward to working with you.
snester

Postby moonchick » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:09 pm

I am unclear on how to "join" this thread, so I hope it is ok to jump in with a reply. If this is not correct, please let me know what I need to do first. I need to lose over 100 pounds, and have been eating mostly plant-based recently. Probably 90%...but I need to and intend to change that for the new year.
moonchick

Postby laurag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:16 pm

Happy New Year :-D My name is Laura, I have been doing the mcdougall program by myself and lost ten pounds but then have stayed at my weight of 160 at 5' 2'' and would like to lose anything . I feel stuck, I dont follow all the rules and I know that must be why so this time I am going to try and have that soup before dinner and stop with the white bread no more candy even though vegan and no more third helpings of beans and rice. I have a question Im excited about my air pooped popcorn got it for christmas and would like to have for snack after dinner should I be careful about amount, just read the ten points for mwl and it said not to have it at all thanks everybody for reading
laurag

Postby Idgie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:23 pm

I'm cheering you all on this month, but I'm doing regular McD this month and gonna see how that goes. Have a great January, everyone!!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Humberto » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Hola and Hello, I'm Humberto, been studying and following Dr. McDougall since 2015, after being referred by Dr. Eisenstein (hope I got this right). Had success when following the program but have not fully followed for long periods. Now I feel more ready and feel happy about it. Glad to be here. All the best to all. I'm at 237.40 this morning, my happy zone is under 200. And my super happy is 170. :)
Humberto

Postby Jadeice » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:56 pm

Happy New Year everyone ! I am excited and scared to start on this journey. But i am happy to have the accountability of this forum. Oh well. I guess this is it. Good luck everyone. In life, in health , in the new year.
Jadeice

Postby Domino » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:54 pm

Wow, think I just logged into my first ever internet discussion board. But I am a huge fan of the McDougall’s. And after a good start towards dynamic intervention of my health in 2018, I know this plan and this group will help me, as I continue on my journey in 2019. Domino
Domino

Postby Linda Dorrill » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:54 pm

Hello everyone,
This is my first post. (I hope I'm doing it right.)

To introduce myself, I've been a fan of Dr. McDougall for MANY years. I've not been successful, but when I cook at home, I cook a McDougall diet. I've never lost any weight. I've read all his books. I have most of his cookbooks. I have emails dating back to 2014 that I try and inspire myself with when I have time to read/view them. I read about the STAR McDougaller's frequently. I just finished Chef AJ's Ultimate Weight Loss book and think I know part of my problem. Salt, Sugar and eating out...even though it's vegan, it's just too hard to control the restaurant on salt and oil. I also have a dear hubby who likes to eat Mexican food, thinks he's allergic to lectins, and has an auto-immune disease, but doesn't seem to want to listen to his wife. :) haha

Well, I've announced that I'm not going to be eating Mexican for at least 2 months. (hopefully longer) And, that I will be fixing foods with no salt and no oil. (The family is pretty much used to that. But, I've been using the "low salt" variety at the table, now, I'm going to NONE.)

Two of our favorite soups are the Potato Asparagus and the Potato Broccoli (MWL pgs 266-267---I'm a little confused. I saw that with MWL, we should cut the soy. So, no soymilk in the soups? I'm going to go back and read the guidelines again.

I'm about to turn 54. I'm 5'7" and stuck at 185. I've lost and gained 2 pounds for a whole year. I hope that being on the boards will be a blessing and help me have the support I need.

Happy New Year and a New Day is dawning. :)
Linda D.
Linda Dorrill

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program