December 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Arewethereyet » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:02 pm

lakeeriemom wrote:Super frustrated this weigh in... somehow I am up 8 pounds in less than a week. In fact, I didn't post yesterday because I was up 9 pounds and I was hoping it was just water weight. I still think it is but it is still mindblowing. It must be the store-bought tortilla chips. I normally make my own but we had them here from a party and I added them into my veggie soup that I made. (2 days in a row)

I could use a word of encouragement and maybe some ideas to get rid of this water gain.

Thank you all for listening to my rant. I am hoping that by releasing it here... I can start today as a new day.

Amy D.

Amy,

Thanks for sharing this. I've stalled out too and gained a bit over the weekend. It's frustrating (amazing) sometimes how such small deviations can create such big problems! I'm giving myself just one more minute to have a pity party.

Feeling your pain! Hope you have a better week.
Arewethereyet

Postby ForestGoddess » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:53 am

As 2018 draws to a close it brings me to the point of reflecting (I usually spend the entire month of December spending time looking back at the year and mostly planning for the next year). I'm tired of looking behind me and feeling guilty for this indulgence, or that snack, or the meal out. Guilt does me no good. It does me no good to dwell on it. I am currently totally caught in a trap of unconscious consent. I exist from day to day on standards that are not in my best interest, just because I am doing better than other people, does NOT mean I am doing the best for myself. And the problem is making the unconscious come to the foreground and exposing it to the light of day, where it will shrink back because it is not truth, it is not me, and it is not serving me. I know this, and yet the last 2 years have been a constant settling for good enough, and getting by. Well, I'm tired of it, and I am done with it. My "new" year starts now (NOT tomorrow, or next week, or in 2 weeks!). What came before is done and needs to be washed from my memory. NOW, I will make better choices in every moment I get.

Yes, weekends are tough, because I let my resolve slip, I let myself get too hungry, I don't have a plan and I let things hit my mentality (" I deserve a treat" pleasure trap). And yes the last 2 weeks have sucked...even though I decided that I wanted to make better gains. Done. No guilt needed, move on and do better.

2019 I am dedicating to myself - Strength, Flexibility, Clean Eating. And it starts now.
ForestGoddess

Postby moonspirit » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks, Amy, for the links on fasting. I'll read through them. :) I haven't had those particular eating disorders, fortunately. I haven't yet decided on the once-a-week fasting thing, so I'll read through these and see if it helps me decide.

My son and my ex (my kids' dad) are arriving tonight and will be here for about 5 days. They're excited to eat this way while they're here. Which is a blessing.
moonspirit

Postby anne57 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:12 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:34 am

Well, I am up +2.5. This is not really the gift I’m looking for this holiday season! This is reflective of the struggles I’ve been dealing with regarding tempting treats and eating out. Those darn Christmas cookies and homemade fudge are adding up surprisingly quickly. Shucks. These things all disappear after Christmas, so only a few more days and temptation will be gone.

I’m looking forward to the new maintenance thread that will be starting this year. As they say, maintenance is just as hard as losing. I was less than a pound from my goal and all these holiday challenges show up. I had a plan for Thanksgiving, but neglected to realize how many obstacles to be prepared for this month. It will be good to have a group to stay accountable with.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Rosey » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:09 pm

HUGS!!! Everyone was 269 lbs last I posted and today I was 266.5 lbs so a total of 2.5 lb loss for this week.
Rosey

Postby amandamechele » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:06 am

Rosey - That sounds like a wonderful birthday celebration. Don’t you just love thoughtful friends who will cook an adherent meal?
They are keepers! Is the Space Restaurant some kind of themed restaurant? Sounds fun. It also sounds like you were able to get right back on track based on your loss this week. Congratulations!

Anne - Oh, thank you for sharing. I have heard of NAFL, I just wasn’t familiar with the acronym. You may have read this already, but Dr McDougall talks about NAFL Disease in the education section of the website as well as the June 2002 newsletter The Liver - Saviour from Our Own Abuses and here’s some inspiration from Evan who reversed this very problem. A huge congrats on your loss this week. Good choices were made!

Arewethereyet - I hope you had a better week too. Some are better than others. (I love that you give yourself a limited amount of time for the pity parties... I do that too. Gotta get it out, but not dwell on it) :)

Forest Goddess - Your reflections are very powerful. I commend you for choosing to start now. You will have many chances to do better each day. With each good choice you will grow more confident in your abilities. Do you keep an online journal? Or one at home? Would you like to share your plan? Not that you’ve asked (so if this is presumptuous please just absolutely ignore this part of my message), but I want to share that for me the best way that I get on a good streak is to dedicate lots of time to preparation. If the food is ready and waiting in my fridge I am just that much more likely to choose it. Often even when crap is around (but not always, I’m human). I ate my son’s mango tofu pudding the other day partially because I didn’t have anything tasty waiting in the fridge. I have been craving Mary McDougallsMoroccan Red Lentil Soup all week! Do you have any favourite recipes? Ones that you crave?

Becca - No problem, let me know what you think. I love reading the fasting literature. That’s fantastic to hear about your son and his dad. Enjoy the next 5 days!

Lindsey - LOL, the holidays are a struggle. You can give yourself the gift of continued effort, which will work its magic over time. XO. I am SO excited about the maintenance thread. So many people are going to love getting some support and chatting about maintanence specific issues. Best wishes!
amandamechele

Postby Rosey » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:50 am

amandamechele wrote:Rosey - That sounds like a wonderful birthday celebration. Don’t you just love thoughtful friends who will cook an adherent meal?
They are keepers! Is the Space Restaurant some kind of themed restaurant? Sounds fun. It also sounds like you were able to get right back on track based on your loss this week. Congratulations!

She is definitely a keeper. Though she follows this way of eating as well. Though at moment she's doing the Gerson Therapy because she was told she has lymphoma.

The Space Restaurant is a Vegan night club here in Salem. They serve brunch and dinner and everything their is vegan and some of it even meets McDougall standards. though I clearly didn't stick to that on my birthday but yes I did get right back on track.
Rosey

Postby Arewethereyet » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:15 am

Down 1.6 yesterday morning. Great week of compliance, but....

Had perfect meals planned yesterday, and thought I would get through our family visit unscathed, but didn't plan for all scenarios..."face plant". :crybaby: Weight should come off by next weigh in, can only hope It won't affect me in other ways.
Arewethereyet

Postby lakeeriemom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:50 am

:D :D :D Well... no loss but no gain either. I did get rid of that huge water gain that I had last week. Geesh!

So if nothing else... I am stable. 0 loss for me but 0 gain as well.

I am hosting Christmas Eve & Christmas. Every year I make a soup to go along with all the family traditional favorites. This is my standby. While everyone else is eating cheesy potatoes and ham, I can rely on Tortilla Soup, Veggies, Homemade salsa, Hummus, and Fruit Salad. Much of the family feels sick from stuffing themselves so much that they take a jar of my soup home with them to help detox from the Christmas festivities. LOL :lol:

I hope everyone enjoys the holidays. Although I am not a weight loss champion this month, I am staying focused on my nutrition which is going to see me through the next week and beyond.
lakeeriemom

Postby lakeeriemom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:53 am

anne57 wrote::) Happy Friday, everyone! :)

Down 5.0 pounds for the week.

Anne :)

Total lost: 5 pounds
Left to lose: 30 pounds

This is awesome!!! Congratulations to you.
lakeeriemom

Postby lakeeriemom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:55 am

Rosey wrote:HUGS!!! Everyone was 269 lbs last I posted and today I was 266.5 lbs so a total of 2.5 lb loss for this week.

Super Fantastic!
:eek:
lakeeriemom

Postby Yomom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:46 am

I am holding at 146#, so no loss/no gain. Phew.
Kathy
Yomom

Postby starbright831 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:00 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!
Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and are able to fight off temptation. I have to admit I’m already thinking about all the good food I will face everywhere I go. The holidays are so difficult for me. Here’s hoping for the best.

I am down .6 this week.
Dea
starbright831

Postby ForestGoddess » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:08 pm

I am up .6 lb...not good but it will be going down very soon :) Will come back later to read more...
ForestGoddess

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program