December 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Rosey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:04 pm

HUGS All. last weigh in was 263.6 lbs today it's 269 lbs. so up 5.4 lbs. Wish I would quit swelling my weight fluctuates way to much. It is what it is though. the over all report is down So I just got to keep my mind on that and not get frustrated.
Rosey

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Well, I am up +.1 lbs.

My mom stopped by yesterday with A POUND OF MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY CHOCOLATE. I told her that it would be gone in two days. She told me to just limit myself to two a day, and I reminded her that I don’t work that way. Did I eat it? YES. Did it taste as good as I remembered? NO. Did I have just two pieces? OF COURSE NOT. How much is left? NOT MUCH. Did I stop there? HEAVENS NO.

Today had some missteps (a whole friggin bag of Hershey Kisses) but I think it’s out of my system and I’m back on track.

Hoping everyone’s mom isn’t as thoughtful as mine! I was less than a pound from my goal yesterday. But, this could have been worse. Best to you all.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Yomom » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:32 pm

I have lost one pound and am now 147#.
I am currently eating my way through a second batch of Amy’s cabbage soup. It seems to be a delicious, very filling, relatively low calorie density food - good for me to have available to feast on, at this time of year.
Lyndzie, I would have eaten all of the gifted chocolates too. I would be totally triggered.
Yomom

Postby Idgie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm up 0.4. Not worried at all about it. More soon. SO TIRED.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby amandamechele » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:08 am

Arewethereyet - XO. Do the best that you reasonably can. :) This is a difficult time of year to get through and eat exceptionally healthfully. Consider each food choice/tempting situation as it comes up, that way you only have to be as strong as one situation at a time. It's easier to promise yourself to make 1 good choice then an indeterminate number. Maybe make an agreement with yourself right now to have your next food choice be a MWL adherent one. You can decide later if you wish to make that agreement again.

Rosey - You've got a good attitude about this. It is what it is and as long as you keep trying to eat well you know things will move back in the right direction once the edema is sorted out. I hope you are finished your kitchen very soon and can take a nice break and put your legs up for a bit. XO.

Linsdey - XO. Oh moms. I would have found that a really difficult situation too. I'm glad you are course correcting quickly, and not beating yourself up about it. Best to you this week too, you are very close to your goal and that is exciting and hopefully motivating.

Kathy - Nice loss. I'm still working through some cabbage soup myself. I think I'm going to make Mary McDougall's Moroccan Red Lentil Soup this weekend and I also bought leeks for potato/lentil/leek soup (that's part of my regular rotation). Neither are quite as calorically dilute as the cabbage soup, but maybe I can adjust them in the right direction. I like your idea of having something to eat at anytime without concern in order to avoid tempting situations.

Idgie - Thank you for checking in. I hope you are resting as I type this. :)
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:28 am

Hi everyone,

I've had a very non-compliant week. I feel like this has been building for a while with episodes of cheats. This week I feel like the episodes have blossomed. I feel very disappointed in myself but I still have the desire to get back on track (just really tired of having to say that). I've decided not to weigh myself. I think the number would upset me even more. Typically, weighing myself motivates me but right now I sense it would be detrimental. I have a plan to batch cook, log my food intake daily, exercise, meditate, and generally focus on getting back on track. I'll check in each week but I plan to rejoin the weigh-in in January. (This is my plan for now. If I can't get on track, I'll weigh myself so it will be another tool to get me motivated.) Does this make any sense? :eek:

I wish everyone a good week. I admire all the hard work being reported here. It is truly motivating. :D
moonlight

Postby starbright831 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:43 am

I’m down 1 lb. Found out I have osteoporosis in my left hip so after researching what I could do to help with diet, I found it was the same plant based diet as this. The only difference is that I need to maintain an 80% alkaline state and eat more food than I normally eat. Long story short, I was sure I had gained weight. You can imagine my surprise this morning. Now I won’t worry all week about gaining weight.
Dea
starbright831

Postby moonspirit » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:45 am

Hi everyone,

I had a fairly compliant week, and the cravings monster gave me a break. I'm down 3.0 lbs to 153.6, my lowest weight yet since starting in June. I think some of this is still catching up after Thanksgiving, but I'll take it.

I'm actually thinking December will be a good month for me, since I'm done with the semester this coming Monday, and I'll be away from the treats. My family is coming to visit me this time, so it will be easier to make sure I still have compliant food to eat. We celebrate Solstice, and my son is making some salmon that day, which I will eat, but I'm hoping to be otherwise compliant.

And welcome to the new Amy, and welcome back to ForestGoddess (love the name)!

Happy December!

Becca
moonspirit

Postby ForestGoddess » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:53 am

Okay not a full week for me but I am down.8 lb since Tuesday. Starting weight of 125.8....and down to 125.

The weekends are always harder for me and my night last night was no exception. I really need to come up with a reframe for my thinking with regard to certain things. Easy to say these things... Hard to implement.
ForestGoddess

Postby lakeeriemom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:15 am

Down .5 pounds. I will take anything I can get! ;-)

Thanks for having me and for all the encouragement!

Amy D.
lakeeriemom

Postby moonlight » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi Amy,

I wanted to follow up with this soup recipe. I love it! I just cut out all the dairy/fat from the original recipe.
Roasted Celery Soup
• 8 large celery stalks cut into 2 inch pieces
• 1/2 bulb fresh fennel cut into 2 inch chunks
• 2 large whole garlic cloves
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 3 medium redskin potatoes, peeled and cut into a 1 1/2 inch dice
• 6 cups veggie broth (I like to use the liquid from cooking beans)
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• Salt and pepper for re seasoning if needed
• Celery leaves and fennel fronds for a little garnish
1. Place the cut celery, fennel and cloves of garlic in a 9x13 inch roasting pan. Add the salt, pepper. Roast in a 350F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the edges of the vegetables just begin to brown.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, cook the potatoes in the veggie broth until tender... about 10 to 12 minutes. Set the pan aside to cool a bit.
3. When the vegetables have finished roasting add them to the potatoes and broth. Let everything cool a bit.
4. In a blender puree 1/2 of the soup. Once pureed, return the soup to the pot and bring up to the boil. Stir in the lemon juice. Re season if needed and garnish each bowl with celery leaves and fennel fronds if you like.
5. NOTE: For a little more pronounced celery flavor add a pinch or two of celery seed or salt when re seasoning.
My notes after making it: chop veggies into smaller pieces either before or after roasting - 2 inch chunks in soup are too big. I blended all of it. I like it with and without the added lemon juice.
moonlight

Postby amandamechele » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for checking-in. Depending on how you're feeling, give yourself a hug or a pat on the back...or both. This first week of December sounds like it has contained challenges for many of us. I'm so glad we're all open to discussing them and supporting each other through them.

I was saving this thread for a New Year's post, but maybe it's something we could use right now.

JeffN wrote:***
If you are looking to fine tune your program or wondering why you may be struggling or not seeing the results you would like to as quickly as you would like, you may want to review these points.

I have updated them and added in a few new ones.

1) Poor Adherence/compliance. Sometimes from lack of application and sometimes from lack of understanding of the principles.

2) Misdirection of focus/priorities. Focusing on matters that don't really effect your health while not focusing on the ones that do.

3) Minimizing/Rationalizing the effect of certain behaviors and/or personal preferences, **especially in regard to certain foods**.

4) Too many processed/refined and/or calorie dense foods, especially those that are marketing as being "healthy."

5) Not understanding the difference between something that is "allowed" on occasion in small quantities, and something that is "recommended."

6) Inadequate exercise/activity

7) Not planning ahead. If you do not plan ahead for success, you will most likely not find it.

8 ) Time. Healing and results take time and for some of us, it may take a little longer than we hope.

9) Mcdougall "Plus" - This is where you mix the principles taught here with other principles you have read or learned somewhere else that are in conflict with the principles recommended here. While there are some program that are very much inline with these principles (ie, Esselstyn, etc) most are not.
In Health
Jeff
Top 10 Reasons for Failure

Many fellow McDougallers chimed in and listed things that they found helpful for keeping their efforts focused and their motivation high, in addition to listing things that tripped them up. It's the comment below that resonated with me most, in light of many of your comments on struggling to stay on plan recently. Purdy's top reason for not succeeding is:

Purdy wrote:#1. Inability to realize you have 5 or 10 years to get it right and thus become discouraged because you are human and didn't do it perfectly overnight.

Learn how to deal with that conflict and you'll never again have to worry about progressing.

That sentiment, that we can just keep working at it, no matter long it takes, is what keeps me going in the face of my own disappointments on any given week.
I understand anyone's desire to take a step back and reassess why they are trying to follow the MWL plan. Ensure the effort is worth it. Is there another way that you can improve your health and/or lose weight? Do you need to take this particular path? Would attempting the regular program be more helpful during a particularly challenging time? Think this through. It's important. Some may need to loosen their program to keep themselves out of The Ego Trap, while others will do best getting much more rigorous. Experiment if you're not sure which may work better for you. Please though, don't give up on yourself, try everything..

I believe in you!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the 1st week in December:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, December 14th, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 506.18 pounds

December 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 52.5 pounds
Total group loss in April 2018: 26.9 pounds
Total group loss in May 2018: 50.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2018: 54.3 pounds
Total group loss in July 2018: 50.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2018: 73.85 pounds
Total group loss in September 2018: 44.06 pounds
Total group loss in October 2018: 30.9 pounds
Total group loss in November 2018: 18.47 pounds
Total group loss in December 2018: 0.1 pounds

Week ending 12/07/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 0.1 pounds
---------------------------------------
Arewethereyet - 0.4
Rosey - 5.4
Lyndzie - 0.1
Idgie - 0.4
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 6.3
--------------------------------------
Yomom - 1.0
Moonlight - 0.0
Starbright831 - 1.0
Moonspirit - 3.0
ForestGoddess - 0.8
Lakeeriemom - 0.5
Svenja - 0.0 (Hiatus)
Mark Cooper - 0.0 (Hiatus)
Amandamechele - 0.1
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 6.4
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in December 2018: 0.1 pounds
Week ending 12/07/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 0.1 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:03 am

Oh, I meant to somehow work in this neat calendar of kindness for the month of December. It's an advent calendar, specifically, but the sentiments included go beyond any individual ideological divisions. So let's boost our own spirits this month, not just by working towards being our best selves, but by boosting the spirits of someone who needs it! XO

Amy

amandamechele

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 pm

Here’s a chuckle for everyone. I tried to make that fruit xmas tree Amy posted in the into. 45 minutes later I threw in the towel. https://flic.kr/p/2cmPYFy
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Yomom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Oh Lindsay that is so funny. I’d better scratch that iff my list if things to serve on Boxing Day.
Yomom

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program