December 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

December 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Welcome to the December Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

ImageImageImage

Hi Everyone and Welcome (back)!

Eeek! I don't know about you, but my free-time is at a premium this month. Year-end school or work deadlines, holiday shopping, children's recitals, socials with people you only ever find time to see every 365 days...LOL... all of which seem to include decadent sweets, fat-laden entrees and social lubricants that facilitate small talk. Double eeek! What's a health-conscious person to do?

Well...if you're reading this sentence, you're on the right track and CAN get through the month of December with your integrity and waistline intact! But it's going to take a bit of effort and planning. Are you up for it?

Here are the best places to get started:

1) The Discussion Forums of Dr. McDougall's website: Specifically, How to Begin. There are 6 sections which clearly lay out everything the program and the website have to offer. Read through these and if you have any questions, register for a free online account and post your question here.
2) See above for specific advise on the Maximum Weight Loss version (MWL) of the McDougall Program. This is for those of you who wish to lose weight at a slightly faster pace than the regular program. Watch the calorie density video... this information is key!
3) Finally, for even quicker results, you can try doing a short-term Mary's Mini, followed by the MWL program. Here is a webinar describing that plan.

I hope all of you will join me this month for the weekly weigh-ins. Together we can lose weight this holiday season and get a head start on the most common New Year's resolution in North America and many other countries.

See you all next Friday,

Amy XO

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: December 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:07 pm

PS. I'm totally inspired by that fruit Christmas tree. Who knew that an apple and a carrot could hold it all together?
amandamechele

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Amy - do you have a link to the fruit xmas tree tutorial? I want to make one!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby amandamechele » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Amy - do you have a link to the fruit xmas tree tutorial? I want to make one!

Here's where I got it from: 25 Days of Snacks: Day 2 - Fruit Christmas Tree
amandamechele

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:10 am

Thank you! What a great way to take fruit to a holiday party.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Rosey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 am

When I miss a check in how does it work for the next one? I explained why I missed it on the other thread.
Rosey

Postby lakeeriemom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:47 am

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsfnY43/]

I went whole foods plant based in May after I was diagnosed with eosinophil esophagitis. I have dysmotility in my esophagus and my stomach so I am unable to eat raw foods on a regular basis.

I have to say that staying whole foods has changed my life. Although I haven't been able to repair the damage done, I no longer suffer from many other ailments.

I lost 40 pounds in about 4 months just by changing my way of eating and now I am at a standstill and have gained about 5 pounds back. I am ready for what I call my 2nd phase!! I am getting stronger every day and I look forward to the next 6 months.

I appreciate this opportunity to learn more and support one another to keep focused on healthy eating.

Thanks,

Amy
lakeeriemom

Postby amandamechele » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:38 am

Rosey wrote:When I miss a check in how does it work for the next one? I explained why I missed it on the other thread.

Hi Rosey,

My apologies for not responding sooner. You can either report your 2 week weight change this Friday, or I can update the previous tally to add you in, if you took your weight last week. Either way works for me, so let me know what you prefer.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 am

lakeeriemom wrote:[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsfnY43/]

I went whole foods plant based in May after I was diagnosed with eosinophil esophagitis. I have dysmotility in my esophagus and my stomach so I am unable to eat raw foods on a regular basis.

I have to say that staying whole foods has changed my life. Although I haven't been able to repair the damage done, I no longer suffer from many other ailments.

I lost 40 pounds in about 4 months just by changing my way of eating and now I am at a standstill and have gained about 5 pounds back. I am ready for what I call my 2nd phase!! I am getting stronger every day and I look forward to the next 6 months.

I appreciate this opportunity to learn more and support one another to keep focused on healthy eating.

Thanks,

Amy

Welcome Amy. What an accomplishment! :) I am always amazed when I hear how someone has taken back health that they had thought was gone for good. Now, I'm not surprised, but amazed...yes! We look for to spending time with you for Phase 2 of your plan to lose weight and take back your life. XO.

Also Amy :D
amandamechele

Postby Rosey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:12 am

amandamechele wrote:
Rosey wrote:When I miss a check in how does it work for the next one? I explained why I missed it on the other thread.

Hi Rosey,

My apologies for not responding sooner. You can either report your 2 week weight change this Friday, or I can update the previous tally to add you in, if you took your weight last week. Either way works for me, so let me know what you prefer.

Amy

Thanks Amy. Ok I will do from 2 weeks ago and hopefully swelling goes down before then. Though if hubby is right I just made it worse again tonight by painting in kitchen more.
Rosey

Postby ForestGoddess » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Hello Group,

I would like to rejoin...I was part of this thread for a few months back in early 2017 before I just lost the ambition to post. I still lurk and read quite a bit and I have been debating for months on whether to rejoin or not. Now I have gained 10 lbs since April 2018, and I need to get on track. In preparation for posting I looked through my old journal and wanted to cry - still dealing with the same issues over and over and over again. Maybe I will start a fresh new journal too...we'll see. I struggle with bread and processed snack foods. Ah well, fall 1,000 times, get up 1,001 I guess. I am 15 lbs shy of my ultimate goal. I am on Day 2 of my current commitment to health. I know my starting weight so on Friday I will post my loss.

ForestGoddess
ForestGoddess

Postby amandamechele » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:08 am

Rosey wrote:Thanks Amy. Ok I will do from 2 weeks ago and hopefully swelling goes down before then. Though if hubby is right I just made it worse again tonight by painting in kitchen more.

Eeek! Rosey, I hope you are finished soon and can give your leg a rest... and have some veggie soup...that always has me feeling better. :-P Where are you painting? What colours?
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am

ForestGoddess wrote:Hello Group,

I would like to rejoin...I was part of this thread for a few months back in early 2017 before I just lost the ambition to post. I still lurk and read quite a bit and I have been debating for months on whether to rejoin or not. Now I have gained 10 lbs since April 2018, and I need to get on track. In preparation for posting I looked through my old journal and wanted to cry - still dealing with the same issues over and over and over again. Maybe I will start a fresh new journal too...we'll see. I struggle with bread and processed snack foods. Ah well, fall 1,000 times, get up 1,001 I guess. I am 15 lbs shy of my ultimate goal. I am on Day 2 of my current commitment to health. I know my starting weight so on Friday I will post my loss.

ForestGoddess

Hi and Welcome Back!

I am sending you a virtual hug of support while you are getting back on track. You've been through this before and know that the first week is a tough one. You can do this!
Other than when I'm looking for a specific post, I tend to avoid going back over my journal when I've been off track, because just like you, it can feel disheartening to see the exact same words and struggles written there that are going through my head...again. Journals are wonderful for keeping track of the data and milestones and strategies, and the online version, here on the website, can also be a great source of social support as other people pop by to wish you well. But, no need for extra self-flagellation right now... I'm sure there's enough in your head as it is. Remember Dr. Lisle's advise, after just a week or two of really good effort, your internal audience will begin to give you some respect, and that comes in the form of feeling hopeful and excited to keep working at this.
I'm hopeful and excited for you because here you are, trying to give it another go. XO.
Last edited by amandamechele on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby Rosey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:06 am

amandamechele wrote:
Rosey wrote:Thanks Amy. Ok I will do from 2 weeks ago and hopefully swelling goes down before then. Though if hubby is right I just made it worse again tonight by painting in kitchen more.

Eeek! Rosey, I hope you are finished soon and can give your leg a rest... and have some veggie soup...that always has me feeling better. :-P Where are you painting? What colours?

If you go look at my journal I posted a link to the new look. I should of put the old pictures in there too.
Rosey

Postby Arewethereyet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:40 am

Gained 0.4. Considering this week, that's pretty good. Struggling today with my resolve.
Arewethereyet

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program