November 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

November 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:26 pm

Welcome to the November Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!

Many of us are quite good at keeping our home-front free of tempting foods that will divert us off track. What we need are some strategies to get us through the times and places where we lack the same control.

With Halloween temptations just barely behind us and Thanksgiving still 3 weeks away (for Americans), it's time to fortify our dietary defences and strategize a good offence for the increasing frequency of office candy bowls, cookie exchanges, and pumpkin spiced treats about to parade themselves in front of us as winter holidays draw nearer.

Today's post was inspired by a member of a McDougall Program group that I belong to on Facebook. This lovely lady has been an example of exceptional adherence for the past 7 years due to diagnosis of a heart condition. She recently changed jobs and was suddenly finding her resolve and adherence slipping in reaction to the sheer amount of junk on offer at her workplace - during meetings, left out in the lunch room and on co-workers’ desks. She has been posting for extra support and letting us know what strategies she is having success with. Many of these are, hopefully, quite familiar to you:

Getting Through the Day: Strategies for your Workplace: (In no particular order)
1) Eat breakfast; don't go into work over-hungry.
2) Pack MWL adherent food to take with you for lunch and snacks.
3) Avoid the office lunchroom if it's filled with temptations.
4) If eating out - request a suitable venue.
5) If ordering in - request to place the order (that way you have more control).
6) This one depends on the social dynamics of your workplace: Let others know that you are doing a 1 month challenge to avoid all junk food (they don't need the complete details). This may have those well-meaning food pushers less likely to offer you any tempting treats while trying to support you. It can also backfire however, so be warned.

Things you can do to support your goals and inspire others:
1) Keep a bowl of apples or bananas on your desk at work.
2) Start a lunchtime walking club.
3) Anytime a conversation turns to the kind of permissive moderation that pervades holiday-time feasting try to subtly change the subject to something you know the other person enjoys discussing. Ask them about their plans for the holidays, compliment something they are wearing and ask where they got it. Mention a good-news story that you heard on the drive into work. Memorize a few corny jokes!

Here are some additional strategies to inspire and motivate you from experienced McDougallers:
From Star McDougaller Nicole: Navigating the Holidays - Let's Share Our Strategies.
From CTV: Totally blew it...how do you eat at family reunions???.
MikeyG and JeffN discussing Compliance on a Healthy diet.
Star McDougaller ETeSelle's Top Ten Lists for Compliance to this WOE.

How do you make it through the day while away from home? Work, travelling and socializing suggestions are welcome! Would any of you like to share a recent situation where you successfully stayed MWL adherent in the face of a challenging situation?

Best wishes for the next couple of days...I look forward to hearing from you on Friday for the weigh-in!

Amy XO

PS. Ooooh, this just had me remember a great thread from The Lounge, that I read a month or so back. Strategies, ideas and support all in one, with comments from Dr. McDougall, himself. My DRASTIC "All In" moving cure. McDougall or Nothing.

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
Last edited by amandamechele on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amandamechele

Re: November 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Idgie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm in, and I'm looking forward to reading all the suggestion links when I get home. My office is Food Central -- I tell all our student workers they will never starve, because there is always something to eat, and rarely is it healthy. I have some strategies that work for me, and so far, I've eaten zero candy and zero off-plan food at work.

1) Eat right before going to work
2) I have a drawer at work where I keep cans of compliant food and several McD soup cups for those times when I want something quick to grab
3) Everyone at work knows I am on a strict diet. I wasn't going to tell them, because there are a lot of saboteurs in the group, but it really helps, and now that I've lost 50 pounds, they suddenly want to know what I'm eating in a curious way, rather than in a catty way
4) At lunch, I get out of the office
5) On potluck day, I stay out of the breakroom
6) I used to keep a candy dish on my desk for students and co-workers to share; I don't do that anymore
7) I bring something I can eat to the potlucks, but then I also pack myself a regular lunch on those days so I can just go somewhere else and eat a healthy lunch
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby moonlight » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:10 pm

Thanks, Amy, for the strategies checklists and links. It’s so good to review these, even if they are familiar! Also, I LOVE the picture and saying!! It reminds me of reading through my old journals where many entries are about losing weight, getting healthy, exercising,,, over and over again, year after year!! HaHa!

Thanks, Idgie, for sharing. You’ve got some great strategies. Your dedication is very inspiring!

I’m still showing up, paying attention, speaking my truth, and most days doing my best! I wish everyone a great November! It’s my birthday month. I don’t think I’m going to eat birthday cake. All summer I thought I would but now that the time is here, I’m going to skip. I’m going to treat myself by taking good care of myself and eating a healthy diet. (I’m hoping to go hiking on my birthday!)
moonlight

Postby Idgie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 pm

moonlight, I totally support your decision to have a healthy birthday. I ate some off-plan food on mine, and in the days surrounding mine, and it took me weeks to get fully back on track. I lose 10 to 12 pounds every single month, but not in September, my birth month -- I lost 3 pounds in September.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
Idgie

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:35 am

Thanks for all the great tips & links, Amy & Idgie.
Moonlight - that is a really inspiring choice to celebrate your birthday in a truly health-supporting way. Awesome!

My weight is up 2.87 lbs this week, which is about 2 lbs above the ceiling of my maintenance range, so it is time for me to really pay attention again. I've decided my goal for November is 30 days of 100% compliance (which I'm defining by 10/10 each day on Jeff's 10 point MWL checklist). I'm going to reduce my fruit consumption, as well - quite a large quantity of fruit has worked back into my daily menu recently. The positive news is that I've been feeling really good, having great workouts and regaining my strength relatively quickly. My pain isn't gone, but is so much less severe! The gabapentin is definitely having some effect.

Here's to a great November and a joyful and healthful holiday season! Best to everyone for a great week!
Mark Cooper

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:52 am

Good morning, all! :-D

I'm jumping back in, having FINALLY faced the dreaded scale after avoiding it for about a year :shock:

Hahahaha -- shockingly not a traumatic event, although I was disappointed at more than hoped-for gains. Feeling overall pretty chill about it actually. I'm on a good track with a super simple, recipe-free routine and daily exercise on my trusty second-hand elliptical :)

Anyhow -- I guess count me for a 0 this week and I'll be back with a number next week. It's great to be back! :-D
Qwerty988

Postby alicect » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:26 am

Hi to all and happy November!

I weighed in today - and posted in October in error. So, I am kicking off November at a 1.4 lb weight loss for the week. Yay! Will post more later.

alicect

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:32 am

I am down -.4 this week. I have done really well with compliance, minus Halloween, and even that wasn’t terrible.

My focus this month is compliance until Thanksgiving. We have a ton of family stuff that weekend, so I want to have a solid few weeks of adherence, then come up with a game plan for the holiday weekend.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby moonlight » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:52 am

Hi everyone!
My brief love affair with Grape Nuts cereal has me up 2 lbs. this week (176 lbs). :cry: I'm on the mend. No more in the house!

Idgie, thanks for sharing about your birthday experience. It will help me stay strong. I love birthday cake but I love losing weight more!! I think it would take me a while to get back on track, too. I'll smile more and be happy hiking in the beautiful fall weather. :D

Mark, it's so good to hear that you are feeling better! Do you think your diet contributed to it or finding the right medication?

Congratulations, Lyndsey and Alice!! A great way to start the holiday season!

Welcome, Qwerty! There is a great group of people here ready to support your efforts!

I'm going to start now planning for Thanksgiving. I'm going home to visit my family so I'll have to be strong and avoid tempting food for 4 days!! Yikes! I think I'll take a lot of soup. Maybe 2 kinds - pumpkin and … A sweet potato casserole. Brussel sprouts. Is this too early to plan?

Good luck to all this week!
moonlight

Postby marietta606 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:13 am

Is this the place where we are supposed to post our weight? If so im 260 this morning.
marietta606

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:35 am

marietta606 wrote:Is this the place where we are supposed to post our weight? If so im 260 this morning.

Yep, this is the place. :-D Welcome!
Qwerty988

Postby marietta606 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks so much
marietta606

Postby vegebet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:27 am

Hi, haven't been on the board for quite a while but felt now was a good time to begin again. I'm struggling with being overweight because it is affecting my blood pressure and also, can't wear clothes I really like. Need to lose about 40 pounds. Even thought I'm 70 and my metabolism has slowed, I know I can lose if I follow the McDougall guidelines. I've done it before but then not sustained the way of eating. So, if you can count me as 0 for this week, I look forward to losing when I report in next week.
vegebet

Postby Rosey » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 am

HUGS!!! Last week I was extremely bloated when I weighed and did a gain. was 274 lbs last week and I'm 267.6 lbs today. For a total of loss of 6.4 lbs from last week which puts me lower then the week before that.
Rosey

Postby Idgie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm at 280.2, down from 280.8 last week.
Idgie, Southern CA
Idgie

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program