October 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Svenja » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:57 am

Good Morning!

Just a quick check-in ... I am on a run to a conference ...

I am up one pound! I am very happy with this result ... after a rather turbulent week in terms of food!

Greetings,
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Rosey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:37 am

I got in hurry to get ready for a bunch of quotes for stuff for the house that I didn't get to weigh I will do it in Morning. HUGS!!!
Rosey

Postby squealcat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:59 am

This week I am reporting a loss of 3.4 pounds for a present weight of 180.8. . I think this is the lowest weight I have been in a very long time. Working to get out of the up and down pattern and did pretty well this week! Now on to November ! Hope all of you are doing well and enjoying the fall. I try to get outside for my walks as much as I can. I would like to walk outdoors a little in the winter too so have begun to talk to myself about it. Will see how it goes now that the colder weather is upon us.

Got back results from my yearly blood work. My A1c is now 5.5 which I think is in the normal range. I have been on metformin when diagnosed as type 2 diabetic and discontinued that med when my A1c went into the pre-diabetic range and now it is lower ! Very happy about that.

My cholesterol though , while it is OK, I would like it lower. I think it is now 189. I have stopped my statin medication (with OK from my doc) and I hope he doesn't want me to restart it. I know that cholesterol number can stay somewhat elevated until the weight is all off so I hope to see a lower number next year.

I will just keep doing what I have been doing. I am more in the mood to make new recipes so that helps too. Have black beans soaking right now and will cook them up today. Butternut squash soup that I made is creamy smooth and yummy !

Enjoy this end of October everyone ! I will go back and read what everyone has been "talking" about. I have not been on this forum at all since last week so I have some catching up to do !

-Marilyn (squealcat)
squealcat

Postby Idgie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:51 am

Marilyn, that's so impressive!

Svenja, good job!

Kathy, you can do this!

Amy, thanks for being such a good cheerleader!

Mark, good job! Sorry about the possible CRPS, but maybe if they get it under control, it will make everything else a little easier, and we all like easy!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Rosey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:43 am

ok I don't want to report today. laugh. but I'm going too. for last week I've been eating stuff I shouldn't to much and I'm bloated bad and feeling awful this morning. but here goes anyway. 268.3lbs last report and 274lbs today for 5.7 lb gain.
Rosey

Postby moonspirit » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:11 am

Hi All,

I'm up 1.7 this week. I think it's mostly bloat, but who knows?

Amy, my birthday dinner was good but it didn't really compare with how I'd built it up in my mind since August. Overall, I'm not sure it was worth the calories and expense. It's making me think a lot about what I really want in terms of the occasional feast, and do I really need this? I think I got more out of the fancy oil-free dinner I made with my daughter. I think what I really need is a friend who will make special oil-free food for my birthday, because truthfully there are two things about eating out that I like most: 1) it's different from what I normally make, and 2) I don't have to make it. The best part of the day was the facial I got. I think I prefer the hot springs that are closer to home and have more shade (I got a sunburn because there weren't enough shady spots). I enjoyed the river walk.

The whole thing was a values clarification exercise. What feels indulgent and enjoyable: creative, tasty food that I don't have to cook; beautiful views; relaxing and beautifying touch; hot water; spending time with people I care about. What I don't need: calories from fat and refined carbs; expense; excess sun. That stuff feels distracting and empty.

Mark, I'm very glad to hear of your test results and successful pain management. Sounds like your weight gain is a positive thing too.

Everyone, I'm happy to hear about your great losses this week, and I am sad to subtract from that. I hope to join you with a fully compliant week next week. I'm feeling over Halloween (at least the indulgent parts).
moonspirit

Postby Stacey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:32 am

Hello- this will be quick.... I have so many thoughts I want to share though-another time.:)

but, yesterday I had errands to do, and the pair of pants I was wearing were getting really loose and annoying throughout the day. So, i am not going to wear them anymore. Need to find a new pair of jeans for the next meanwhile. The spot on my lower stomach that the measuring tape reaches on the cargo pants is not going anywhere though. So I am thinking that other areas of my body are responding instead. I am feeling way learner than I was a few weeks ago. I know that the activity that I am doing is contributing to that.

I am hoping to have another positive week. I am not sure about reporting next week because i will be traveling. But with traveling means I will have a chance to get leaner. Alone time for me is good for that.

I am just more excited about having people that I can share positive things with and that is it. I am trying to hone in on that positive part of my brain to hold on to this progression.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Who gets into carving pumpkins?

Stacey
Stacey

Postby moonspirit » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:34 am

I carved a kitty-cat pumpkin, Stacey. It was super simple, which is about all I can handle. :)
moonspirit

Postby Idgie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:55 am

moonspirit, I feel like that insight you just gained might be worth a little gain this week. That's huge, in my opinion!

Stacey, I'm glad you're here to share your positive energy with us!

Rosey, I think we all have weeks like that! It's over now, though, and you're on track to make good choices from now forward. So impressed with your persistence. We can do this together!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
Idgie

Postby choufleur » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Sorry I am late. I've still be sick and it's messing up my routines. I am down .2 lbs this week.
choufleur

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi All,

Congrats on another week of McD'ing!! :D

Pressed for time today - will go back and read all of the posts later.

I'm up 1.4 lbs. - which is 1.2 lbs. over "maintenance range". Going to keep it simple and unprocessed this week. Have made a huge vat of veggie / rice soup which is delicious in this chilly weather (and low on calorie density scale).

Thanks, Amy for posting the info / links on how people who have lost weight have successfully kept it off. Great stuff!! :)

Wishing everyone a good week!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby amandamechele » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:49 am

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone for weighing in this week! Congratulations on sticking to your goals for the whole month of October; Be very proud of your efforts.

Lindsey mentioned that she enjoyed watching some of Jeff Novick's Fast Food series this past week. That had me thinking of some of the stuff available on YouTube of Jeff's that, maybe, some of you haven't seen. (You possibly all have but I'm gonna share it anyway :D )

Big Fattening Lies: Making Sense out of Nonsense:

This is an informational series Jeff did with his cousin Sheila. I love Sheila!

If you're looking for a gentle nudge on the right things to do, with Jeff's infectious laugh as a bonus, definitely watch a few of these. They average about 4 minutes each.

Oatmeal - Here's a breakfast one for you Svenja
Stress and Hunger
Europe's Best?
Flat Earth Chips - this one is dedicated to me...LOL...I am guilty of giving my kids veggie and fruit-like-crap because it's easier.
Exercise Excuse #17 - Ok, maybe this one is dedicated to me too.
Reverse-It-All
Find a few more on Jeff's YouTube channel. ( I couldn't figure out how to link this, sorry)

Let's kick it up a notch for November!

Have a wonderful week all!

Amy XO

PS. I hope to see you all again in the new thread, I'll post it on Thursday.

Here are the results for the fourth week in October:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 2nd, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 487.61 pounds

October 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 52.5 pounds
Total group loss in April 2018: 26.9 pounds
Total group loss in May 2018: 50.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2018: 54.3 pounds
Total group loss in July 2018: 50.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2018: 73.85 pounds
Total group loss in September 2018: 44.06 pounds
Total group loss in October 2018: 30.9 pounds

Week ending 10/26/2018: 15 participants reported a total loss of 3.7 pounds
---------------------------------------
Alicect - 0.2
Mark Cooper - 0.7
Svenja - 1.0
Rosey - 5.7
Moonspirit - 1.7
VegSeekingFit - 1.4
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 10.7
--------------------------------------
Moonlight - 4.0
Idgie - 4.2
Lyndzie - 2.3
Werner1950 - 0.0
Yomom - 0.0
Squealcat - 3.4
Stacey - 0.0
Choufleur - 0.2
Amandamechele - 0.3
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 14.4
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in October 2018: 30.9 pounds
Week ending 10/26/2018: 15 participants reported a total loss of 3.7 pounds
Week ending 10/19/2018: 15 participants reported a total loss of 1.1 pounds
Week ending 10/12/2018: 12 participants reported a total loss of 4.9 pounds
Week ending 10/05/2018: 21 participants reported a total loss of 21.2 pounds
amandamechele

Postby Idgie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks for the links, Amy. I haven't seen any of those.
Idgie, Southern CA
Idgie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:07 am

Loved the videos! Jeff should do some more. Got a big kick out of the stress and hunger ones. The kids thought it was hilarious. We’ve got quite a Jeff fan club here.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Stacey » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:25 pm

I hope everyone has a good week. We are finishing up with October. And, yes I will be carving my pumpkin. I have one picked out, and I will put an original face on it. Since I was a kid I have always come up with original eyes, nose, etc. I have fun putting it out, and then feel so empowered lighting the candle inside. The girl scout in me comes out. And I love interacting with all the children. And no, I don't eat candy. I actually hate all things candy.:)

I am happy to share my positivity.:) I am normally a positive person, so it is nice to finally have some positivity come my way with weight issues.

Here is to another week for all of us, and I hope everyone has some good success for whatever you are working on!

Stacey
Stacey

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program