October 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

October 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:48 am

Welcome to the October Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!

October is here, and just like Hobbes, I love fall. But it has the potential to be the harbinger of difficult diet times.

We are getting close to a whole slew of holidays, which means the possibility of many more social gatherings and many more tricky tempting situations which will put internal and social pressure on your ability to follow the MWL guidelines.

I find this is the best time to re-commit yourself to eating well in order to get some good habits/patterns developing. Clean out your cupboards of the processed foods and stock them with salt-free canned beans, tomatoes, and brown rice, quinoa, (other canned veggies too, if you like). Clean out your fridge and fill it with your favourite fruits and fresh vegetables, maybe some sparkling water and low sodium condiments. Clean out your pantry and stock it full of potatoes, yams, and onions. Clean out your freezer and fill it with frozen corn and broccoli, homemade soups and stews, and old bananas for some delicious fruit sorbet. There's much preparing to be done to make this October a great start to losing weight between now and January 1st.

Try to imagine it... being 5-10 pounds lighter after Christmas. It's totally doable if you get started now! If you follow the guidelines really closely, and have more to lose, then the potential for even higher loss numbers exist (I just hate to make false promises, so it's best to keep forecasts conservative and vague. No need to put any added pressure on yourself by aiming for a specific number, just let nature take its course).

Aquaint or re-acquaint yourselves with the guidelines by reading and/or watching all of the links above. Most importantly, commit yourself to doing your very best for a certain period of time. 1 week is a good start.

Best wishes for the next 7 days...I look forward to hearing from each of you on Friday for weigh-in!

Amy XO

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: October 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:56 pm

I’m in for October! What a perfect time of year to get back to chili and hearty soups.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 pm

We've got this!

Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby JaBee » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:48 pm

Count me in for Oct 2018 thread
JaBee

Postby AuntieLindy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi - I am in, I am going on the Disney Cruise next week (total travel time 7 days) and will weigh in each week . I was down 1.5 on Friday would be happy to lose this month - I been off of MWL for sometime, and need this accountability -

Amy will you start this challenge in Nov and Dec also?

Lynn
AuntieLindy

Postby amandamechele » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:24 pm

Awesome to have you all joining us! Welcome back Lindsey (I can't wait for fall food either!) and Idgie (great graphic btw, thanks for posting!)!

Welcome JaBee and Lynn!

Lynn - I will be doing the weigh-ins and my personal challenge that I mentioned on FB for both November and December. Are you with me? Disney will be tough, but I think having the accountability of the weigh-ins will definitely keep you trying your best to follow the guidelines while there. So, I'm glad you decided to join us beforehand....I'm also quite jealous, that sounds like a fun trip!

I got a little head start on the month and did some prep work yesterday because the week days are just so busy:
(So as not to be confusing I should mention that the oil-free whole grain pizza is not part of the MWL plan...it's for the kid's lunches tomorrow)
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:58 am

I'm in for October as well, provided it is OK to participate even though I'm just trying to maintain my current weight. I really enjoy and appreciate being a part of the group. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby amandamechele » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:26 am

Awesome to have you join us again Mark!

Everyone - Tomorrow Dr. Lim (Medical Director amd Staff Physician for the McDougall Program) is doing a free live webinar at 12 pm Central time (I still haven't worked out what time that is for me...LOL) for the College of Lifestyle Medicine:

Calorie Density: The Key to Sustainable Weight Loss and Optimal Health

Click on the above to register!

Amy :)
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:36 am

Please count me in for the month. Amy, thank you for all the great links recently! And, thanks for posting your prepped food pic. Really inspires me to have some similar containers in my fridge!
moonlight

Postby belcimo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:30 am

I'll be away for two weeks / returning Oct 12th
May you all be successful! -bel
belcimo

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:24 am

I am in for October also. Thanks, Amy, for your motivational words!

Question: How do you guys post photos? Does the image have to be hosted somewhere?
choufleur

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:27 am

choufleur: Yes, it does. Personally, I just post mine on SparkPeople because it's easy, then gank the link from there, but anything on the web will work. Flickr has free accounts, too.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Idgie wrote:choufleur: Yes, it does. Personally, I just post mine on SparkPeople because it's easy, then gank the link from there, but anything on the web will work. Flickr has free accounts, too.

Thank you, Idgie, I just tried this out in my journal and it worked for me!
choufleur

Postby kirstykay » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:51 pm

I'll be joining you again for October. I've been away for awhile, but I'm recommitting to MWL for the rest of this year, and I would love the support that this group provides. Thanks for all the links and inspiration!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Svenja » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:26 am

Amy ... you asked me about the sauce made from white beans. It is actually from a meal plan I get ... so can't share the exact recipe. It has beans, ACV, lemon juice, maple sirup, a little mustard and some spices.

I was going to focus on holding my weight and continue loosing in early spring again. But I found that I fit two winter jackets that I had not even considered for this winter ... but they just a bit to small with wearing more cloths under it. Maybe this is my new goal :)

Sending greeting from Germany! It's a public holiday ... we celebrate the reunion of east and west Germany and the coming down of the wall.

Greetings,
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program