First day after MM, slight gain

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

First day after MM, slight gain

Postby sel22927 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:02 am

I completed my potato MM on Tuesday, lost 6+ pounds, and saw a consistent loss each day. Yesterday I ate veggies and potatoes for breakfast and lunch, and for supper had MM compliant Spanish Rice. No salt, no oil. The only difference was I had rice for supper instead of potato. This morning I was up point 2 pounds.

I know it's water weight, but it's strange that I was up at all, by just having rice for one meal instead of potato. Has anyone else experienced this, or have a McDougall-based opinion?
sel22927

Re: First day after MM, slight gain

Postby abit » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:04 am

:-D
Last edited by abit on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abit

Postby Dixee » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:42 am

Even changes in humidity can cause small fluctuations in one's weight. I now offer advice I cannot follow myself, but weekly weigh-ins really help hide some of the fluctuation noise. And when one is closer to optimal weight, monthly weigh-ins are even better. I pay attention to how certain clothing items fit over time, because I am trying to lose fat and gain lean muscle tissue rather than just have the scale go down. But I totally get your preoccupation and frustration ... we've all been there, I'm sure.
Dixee

Postby Strawberry60 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:05 am

sel22927 wrote:I completed my potato MM on Tuesday, lost 6+ pounds, and saw a consistent loss each day. Yesterday I ate veggies and potatoes for breakfast and lunch, and for supper had MM compliant Spanish Rice. No salt, no oil. The only difference was I had rice for supper instead of potato. This morning I was up point 2 pounds.

I know it's water weight, but it's strange that I was up at all, by just having rice for one meal instead of potato. Has anyone else experienced this, or have a McDougall-based opinion?

Hi have only just found this post and hope you are still lurking on the board somewhere!
By the way what is MM?
Anyway I was going to say that I did a potato only diet for 3 days, as a starch resistant experiment last year. Oddly enough my weight remained the same but my measurements went down noticeably?
Like you I have been eating brown rice as it is cheap and my weight has either 1. Not budged or 2. Gone up.
This despite being 100% aware of what I am eating and tracking calories suitable to my current weight from a post I read by JeffN.
So maybe for some people rice is not their best starch.
I wonder if quinoa may be a better choice for me as I lost well whilst eating that.
I guess it is a matter of getting to know what works best for us as individuals.
Hope you have managed to crack it in the past year.
All the best
Will it matter in 10 minutes. 10 hours. 10 days. 10 weeks. 10 months. 10 years.
Strawberry60

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:20 am

Strawberry60 wrote:
sel22927 wrote:I completed my potato MM on Tuesday, lost 6+ pounds, and saw a consistent loss each day. Yesterday I ate veggies and potatoes for breakfast and lunch, and for supper had MM compliant Spanish Rice. No salt, no oil. The only difference was I had rice for supper instead of potato. This morning I was up point 2 pounds.

Hi have only just found this post and hope you are still lurking on the board somewhere!
By the way what is MM?
Anyway I was going to say that I did a potato only diet for 3 days, as a starch resistant experiment last year. Oddly enough my weight remained the same but my measurements went down noticeably?
Like you I have been eating brown rice as it is cheap and my weight has either 1. Not budged or 2. Gone up.
This despite being 100% aware of what I am eating and tracking calories suitable to my current weight from a post I read by JeffN.
I wonder if quinoa may be a better choice for me as I lost well whilst eating that.
I guess it is a matter of getting to know what works best for us as individuals.
All the best

The original poster has not logged in since the day of their first post

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Strawberry60 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:26 am

JeffN wrote:
Strawberry60 wrote:

By the way what is MM?
All the best

The original poster has not logged in since the day of their first post

In Health
Jeff

Ok, thanks for letting me know.
Will it matter in 10 minutes. 10 hours. 10 days. 10 weeks. 10 months. 10 years.
Strawberry60

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program