September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:40 am

Svenja - My apologies I missed responding to you. I'm glad you're working the program well, and very sorry to hear about your friend. Having success at improving our own health makes watching others suffer or pass needlessly early all the more painful. XO

Marilyn - LOL... Dr. Lisle's work is so helpful. You absolutely understand it, based on your description. That's awesome. Consistent craving discomfort passes, but watch out for those spontaneous recoveries - unexpected cravings that can occur after doing well for longer stretches of time with great adherence. They can catch you by surprise and thus you may not be prepared for them increasing your probability of eating into one....and that unfortunately can create a vicious cycle of re-entering a habituated bad pattern (like over-eating or eating when not hungry), battling your way back down it and reigniting it again. You have the right idea, just be comfortable with being uncomfortable for that small period of time...it will pass.

Stephanie - You are so sweet...and, hey, I'm still alive (meaning totally not bored to death LOL). You've got a good plan, keep working it. I hope you're having a good week too.

Stacey - Hi...I'm glad Mark hooked you up with a link. You are a details person, which is great, that means you will do well. Thankfully with the right search phrases most of anyone's questions have been covered somewhere on this website. Be sure to check out Dr. McDougall's Newletter article index, his webinars, and Jeff Novick's Forum . I think you are plenty good at sharing - and hopefully it begins to feel comfortable for you - it is helpful to talk about this with others who understand.

Jan - We can help with accountability. Hi and Welcome! I'm so excited for you getting to go to a 10-day program, I think that you will really enjoy it. Your head-start is a great idea, this way you can work through the information and see what your areas for improvement are and thus have very precise questions for the doctors, RD and staff while there. Good luck with your challenge and I look forward to hearing from you on Friday. Stacey's advice to you is gold! XO
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Stacey wrote:Hello- just a question around servings/portions.

The thing is that before I ate this way I had a much stronger grasp on how much food to eat and I knew exactly how many portions or servings of grains/veggies/fruits/ other stuff to eat.

But with this way of eating -1) I need to try to get lots of fiber in daily and that is my main priority 2) I am active and want to make sure I get enough for my a minimum hour and half runs/bike rides and 3) I have completely lost track of "how much I should eat". I try to go by hunger and satiation. And I do make sure I get enough of the complex carbs/starch in me. But for sanity reasons, I would like to have a resources that says something like this:

"if you are active this amount or this amount,etc, etc, you should be striving for these many servings of food"

Hi Stacy,

One more suggestion regarding understanding portion sizes, etc. The Cronometer. You can do a search in JeffN's forum on this discussion board for it and get lots of information. You can log everything you eat for the day and the Cronometer lets you know the breakdown in terms of nutrients, carbohydrates, protein, fat, and minerals. You can set a goal weight and it will tell you how many calores a day you should eat to either maintain the weight or lose weight to reach your goal. And, it's free! Here's the address: https://cronometer.com/

Even though the MWL and the regular McD plans are designed to not have to measure and log your food, it is nice to monitor your intake sometimes. I like using the Cronometer to help me understand calorie density, to get a feel for how many calories I'm eating a day, and to understand the amount of various nutrients and minerals in the food I'm choosing to eat. From what I've read, it is best to get at least 1200 calories a day so your metabolism won't slow down and create negative issues with regard to losing weight, if you are interested in losing.
moonlight

Postby JeffN » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:00 pm

moonlight wrote:. From what I've read, it is best to get at least 1200 calories a day so your metabolism won't slow down and create negative issues with regard to losing weight, if you are interested in losing.

FYI, there is no such thing as “starvation mode” in regard to dieting and lowered caloric intake. If there was, those who fast would not be able to lose weight as they would be in the ultimate starvation mode. You can read more about it here

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55474

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby moonlight » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks, Jeff, for taking the time to read our posts and correcting our faulty notions. Very interesting discussions on metabolism in the links! Thank you for putting the "metabolism mode" idea to rest. That myth is repeated all the time! I have heard that stated as absolute fact for a long time. It’s amazing how much information is on this website. :)
moonlight

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:45 am

I can report a loss of 2.6 lbs this week. That puts me at a weight of 68kg or 149.9 lbs with a BMI of 19.0 which was basically my goal! From here on I would just like to maintain - I plan to continue eating MWL for the foreseeable future. I'll be interested to see how things shake out the next week.

No new information regarding my medical situation, but I have been feeling somewhat better and my pain is gradually getting more manageable. I still haven't been able to resume my calisthenics, but hopefully by midweek next week I will.

Cheers to the group and best wishes for an awesome successful week!

Take care & be well.

Mark
Mark Cooper

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:06 am

I lost 1.7 lbs since last Friday.

I’ve been weighing myself every day, and it’s amazing how quickly poor choices impact the scale and my appearance. I was quite bloated from some off plan decisions earlier this week, and someone asked if I was expecting! That is definitely motivating to eat your veggies.

Amy, what is your goal these days? Are you working on losing, or in maintenance? You seem to do an excellent job at making compliant meals. The pictures you posted of your dinner and your kid’s is very similar to what we do here. White rice for the kids, brown for me. The girls like tofu, my husband adds chicken. It’s simple and versatile.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Idgie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:49 am

Lindzie, congrats on the loss! I carry my weight in my stomach, so I often get the pregnancy question. I've learned to make a joke out of it. One time, some lady asked me when I was due, and I said "With any luck, 9 months from tonight!"

Mark, woo-hoo!!! both on maintenance and feeling better.

Lost 3.4 pounds this week. 43.2 total, in just under 15 weeks. Still right around 3 pounds per week average. :nod:
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Rosey » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:58 am

WOOT!!! After not losing for a few weeks I went from 276.7 to 274.5 for a loss of 2.2 lbs. And that's with my feet still Swollen.
Rosey

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:06 am

Congrats on great losses for the week Lindsey, Idgie & Rosie! We're off to another great start!

Idgie that is a super-impressive total loss in not even 4 months! Spectacular!

Sorry your feet are still swollen, Rosey.
Mark Cooper

Postby squealcat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:48 am

Well I turned it around this week and lost 4.2 pounds and now weigh 183 ! Yay !! Kept it simple, read a lot of encouraging words, eat sitting down, pre-plan what I eat, continue my exercising, looked up a menu of a new restaurant I was meeting friends at and had a pretty good lunch there (mushroom and veggie fajitas ....think there was some oil in them even though I asked to have it all steamed ...did the best I could ) made my favorite split pea soup to have all week......I think I did well, not prefect but well and am glad it showed on the scale. On to another week !

-Marilyn (squealcat)
squealcat

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:58 am

So happy for you, Marilyn! Keep it simple-not perfect-but well seems like an awesome standard and kudos for making the best possible choice in a difficult restaurant situation. I have also found that sitting down at the table to eat and really involving myself in tasting and chewing my food has been VERY helpful, as well.
Mark Cooper

Postby GlennR » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Neither gain nor loss this week. I suspect if it hadn't been for eating out last night and several times earlier in the week I'd have a better contribution to the group loss. However, not up is always a win.

218 last week, 218 today.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby Stacey » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Hello- took care of a few changes and things have gone ok this week. Please count me still as a 0. I appreciate your willingness to do that. I was able to exercise again this week as I was sick for the past couple of weeks. Am working on implementing strength training to make the measurements go down. ( things are holding steady there currently). It takes a bit of work to lose one measurement at a time- and I measure in cms to trick my brain. I don't have any association really as to what cm is like inches so I just check if things are going down or not. There is one workout that is quiet pushup/plank specific that I have been doing each morning before the cardio.

If any one is interested the workout website I use daily is https://darebee.com

I was able to start making major progress in gaining muscle tone using it. There are daily workouts, daily dares, programs, etc. You can set up a profile and work on earning badges. Each program completed is a badge. It makes it major exciting. Oh and there are unlocks. Right now I am working on a 100 burpees unlock. It is fun to feel progress for things like that as the months go by.

Have a good week.
Stacey

Postby medamoso » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 pm

I gained a pound this week! I was so disappointed, I have been following MWL so well (and not going off McDougall at all.)

I have been feeling loads better: overall soreness down and the intestinal issues were non-existent this week! This morning my husband commented how much better I am going up and down stairs. But my disappointment derailed me today...I went out to lunch after an acupuncture treatment at a Thai restaurant (vegan, but oil.) At home I couldn't stop eating including vegan cheese which I hadn't eaten all week. I ate way past the point of comfort as well.

I'd been feeling so much better and eating so much differently than usual: sticking with MWL/McDougall, not binging, etc. I was losing weight at the beginning of the week but by the end I went back up plus one, which is what I weighed after returning from vacation and a lot of junk food!

Oh well, back on track tomorrow I guess, and I'm done eating for the night, so at least there's that.
~ Melissa
highest weight: 230 lbs
current weight: 205.6 lbs
medamoso

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi MWL peeps! :-D

I am so motivated to read everyone's weekly progress. Thanks to all for posting and sharing results / progress / concerns / tips - everything. I find this a community of like-minded people -- and even though it is virtual, feels good to not feel alone on this journey.

Mark -- Woot! Congrats on your awesome loss and on meeting your goal! Wishing you well with your medical issue and glad to hear that your pain is down...

Lyndzie - Yay! Congrats on your loss. Veggies all the way!

Idgie - Wow, that loss (this week and cumulative) is so much to be proud of!! Awesome!! :)

Hi Rosey - Hope your feet feel better soon! Woo-hoo-hoo on your loss!!

Squealcat - Excellent result!! Do you have a favorite recipe for Split Pea Soup?? (from another Split Pea Soup lover...) Also, like how you mentioned "not perfect"... I don't think anyone Is and know that for me, if I try to attain perfection - I'm setting up a fail.

Hey Glenn, A zero is definitely a win!! :-D I wish that restaurants would all offer choices that fit with this way of eating - would make it so much easier!

Stacey - Glad you joined us!!! Thanks for sharing that website. It looks intriguing to me... love the philosophy written. I've been trying to get on board with strength program (of any sort) for many months - with no progress. Thinking about this one...

Medamoso - Awesome that you are feeling better!!! A lb. is so little that it could be water retention … Glad that you are looking at the bright side and wishing you well!!

When I weighed in today, was exactly the same as last week. Which I am good with... just trying to keep up a maintenance groove. Tried Mary McDougall's Mashed Pinto Beans recipe early this week (from Newsletter) and loved it!! So, tried it again as Mashed Black Beans (and also loved it)… Recommend for bean lovers.. :cool:

Hope that everyone has a wonderful week!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program