September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby belcimo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:32 am

Looking for one or two AccountabiliBuddies to connect with. Maybe follow me through FitBit @ belcimo, or Instagram @ wellbel.

Starting today at 254 lbs. I'm 43 and live with hubby and 2 daughters ages 10 and 12. We are all much taller and bigger than our peers, yet surrounded by family that is at a healthy weight and fairly active. I have a sit-down full-time job, and I dabble in depression and anxiety.

For a late breakfast today, I passed on hubby's bacon and eggs, and waited for my oven potatoes, with a few chickpeas and some kale on the side. I ate till I felt like I wanted no more, but here I am hungry again a half hour later. Luckily, I have leftovers. However, I do need to keep my head busy with projects and hobbies so I'm not eating out of boredom.

I'm not new at this, I just have trouble committing. I'm close to my heaviest weight (when I was pregnant), yet my preggo days are long gone. I read MMWL three summers ago. I've snooped all around drmcdougall.com for years. And I'm tired of my SAD tummy hanging out over my pants like an overfilled soft serve ice cream cone.

Until Friday!

Bel
belcimo

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi and welcome, Belcimo! :)

Hi Amy, thanks for your kind comments and loved your post - especially with regard to gratitude. So important to think on the bright side and be grateful for what we have and pay it forward (as we can)…

Loved your picture of compliant dinner. I really don't love going out to eat, but the steak place is generally great choice, as your pictures show!! For more casual dining, I like the following:

Whole Foods Market - buffet - just read all of the ingredients and focus on just veggies / fruit / grains - if you can navigate the many non-compliant vegan options - a win!
Chipotle / Qdoba - I know that there is some oil in the rice and beans... Make sure you order the vegan beans. Fill your bowl with rice, beans, raw veggies, salsa, lettuce - good - not fully compliant (because they insist on the oil)...
Bibibop - new Asian chain. Their website will guide you to enough fat free choices to fill a bowl. Do the rice noodles with corn, cucumber, romaine, daikon, red cabbage. Top with a little teriyaki (be careful - higher sodium)... Order a side or two of pineapple. http://bibibop.com/data/sites/1/skins/B ... rition.pdf
P.F. Changs - Get Buddha's Feast Steamed - also the white rice is oil free, but brown rice is not... decide what matters more... https://www.pfchangs.com/nutrition/menu-nutritionals
Cheescake Factory - I've ordered the lettuce wraps with no chicken and either skipped or minimized the accompanying sauce ... nutrition info has the chicken in... https://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/me ... rap-tacos/

Hope others have some restaurant picks. Would love to have a couple of more options.

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Svenja » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:27 am

squealcat wrote:Oh Svenja ! I can feel your joy ! When you can be comfortable in clothes you love (remembering when you were NOT comfortable in the past ) it is a great victory ! Hold onto that feeling as it can keep you going in the right direction when your day is not going so well. I use similar great events like this to help me when my thoughts stray to the "dark side". Many/ most times it keeps me on track. Have a great week !

-Marilyn (squealcat)

Thank you!
Great words of wisdom!!!
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby amandamechele » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 am

Moonlight - XO. Two shirt sizes down is amazing! Such I great surprise, I bet, in that moment in time. But, really, no surprise at all, you've been working hard for just that result.

Becca - This is a no kicking-yourself zone!! LOL. Your loss shows that you made many more good choices than ones you weren't as happy with. Have you had success turning it around?

Rosey - That's too bad that she wasn't more informative. Is it prohibitive for you to go in and see her (or another doctor, if that is your preference)? That way she can take your blood pressure and see your feet...and maybe come up with a better answer. Have you found the edema lessens overnight (and then progresses during the day), or after putting your feet up for awhile? I'm merely curious...we don't have to continue down this vein if you do not want to. How have you been doing with the MWL plan?
Have a great week!

Idgie - I hope you are enjoying your trip! I read a meme going around on FB that you know you're old when you have a favourite grocery store... LOL! (I have one too, - and it's very far away - which is why I find this so amusing). Have a glorious time wandering the isles slowly, reading nutritional information, peaking into other people's carts, and chatting with friendly looking patrons. Ha! You can totally weigh in on Saturday, no worries.

Svenja - Woot woot! That's not a small thing...that's huge! Being able to wear cute clothes and feel attractive is a key driving force to staying motivated. What colour was the skirt? Was it business-wear or casual-fun? With regards to your cake, I have found the same thing, people love healthier options, especially in treat form.

Lindsey - I liked Dr. Garth's response enough to get over my hesitation to link the article. Direct, with specific solutions offered to medical practitioners and their administration, politicians and policy makers, but with compassion to the individuals that comprise the group being discussed. Hmmm, sounds like another doctor we know and appreciate!

Bel - Awesome job on the breakfast choices; you did the right thing by just having more until you felt full. I'm glad you are here and trying to keep re-commiting. It's not easy. It could be that just enough tempting foods are still in your diet (because, just like in my home, they are still available for the others that I live with) that you're still a tiny bit in the Pleasure Trap**. Many, many of us struggle similarly, so we understand and are here for you. Keep working at it, one day at a time. Well, really, one meal at a time - no need to give up a whole day because of a slip. (Easier said than done, I know). ** I also really liked this podcast with Dr Laurie Marbas and Dr. Lisle on Beating The Pleasure Trap, as well. How has your week been going thus far?

Stephanie - Paying-It-Forward is such a win-win situation. Help someone and feel good; what's better than that? We need to find all of the win win situations that we can in our lives. This diet is one - eat well, lose weight, regain health and go easier on the environment and not be a party to animal suffering.
Thank you for all of the restaurant suggestions! I realize that many suggestions will be regional, but appreciate getting ideas for all over. I've not heard of a number of your suggestions, which is great, now I have some new possibilities. My favourite place is in Dundas Ontario, Canada, near McMaster University. It's a Thai restaurant called Bangkok Spoon Deluxe. The owner worked with me to get everything right and I ended up with 4 made-to-order choices from their vegetarian section, that were oil-free, low sodium and gluten free (not necessary for MWL), and SUPER delicious. My family ordered take-out there often. (Mmmm I'm going to order from there when I fly home for Christmas!). I hope your week is going well.

Here's what I had for lunch today:

What are all of you eating this week?
amandamechele

Postby Rosey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:22 am

amandamechele wrote:
Rosey - That's too bad that she wasn't more informative. Is it prohibitive for you to go in and see her (or another doctor, if that is your preference)? That way she can take your blood pressure and see your feet...and maybe come up with a better answer. Have you found the edema lessens overnight (and then progresses during the day), or after putting your feet up for awhile? I'm merely curious...we don't have to continue down this vein if you do not want to. How have you been doing with the MWL plan?
Have a great week!

I have already went online and changed to a doctor that is a little closer. The new one is also a D.O. so might be a little more open to things then last one. I see her for first time on the 5th of October. Her picture looked like a happy smiley person and her name is Jessica L. Smiley. Hubby switched to her too. Jessica is also my daughters name so if name says anything maybe just maybe we will get along and work things out. As for the swelling it definitely gets better when I've been in bed over night and gets worse the longer I'm out of bed. putting my feet up doesn't seem to make a difference. My hubby put an ice pack on them earlier today and it seemed to lessen the pain but didn't take it away. I"m doing pretty good on MWL plan even when we went out I had no oil hummus and veggies the other day. After reading someones post on here about sauces and stuff I actually cut out all but my ketchup and mustard and it helped lessen some of my fibro pain as well.
Rosey

Postby Yomom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi Amy and the MWL group,

I would like to rejoin this accountability group, after a hiatus that for me started last July (time flew!!).

I saw Dr. Lim a couple of weeks ago while I attended the 3-day program, and he said to me, “are you happy where you are?”. This is a good question as my BMI is down to 23, my BP is lower (but I’m still on meds), I am fitter and stronger (backpacking, hiking, jogging), and my cholesterol numbers are way down. However, I have decided that I would like to become leaner so that I can:

(1) become the best possible backpacker, given my 61 years;
(2) get rid of my squeezable abdominal fat (which I do not want to carry anymore);
(3) get my BP low enough to stop meds - Dr. Lim feels that in my case (grrr) I may need to be very lean for this to possibly happen;
(4) get my total cholesterol at/below that magic 150.

Dr. Lim prescribed the Maximum Weight Loss 50:50 plate for my Lunch & Dinner, consisting of 50% Starch (beans, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.) and 50% vegetables. For breakfast, I am to eat mu usual oats & fruit. Dr. Lim said that this is the way he and Jeff Novick eat, most days.

I have been following this Rx and think it will be easy to continue - it is so simple. I use canned no-salt beans, prepare the oats, rice, potatoes etc. ahead of time in the Instant Pot, and use different frozen vegetable mixtures.

I need the accountability of being in this group, though. It helps to not feel alone in this WOE.

I plan to note my weight this coming Friday, and start reporting Losses or Gains in October.

Kathy
Yomom

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Welcome back, Kathy!

I don't know if you have seen them already, but you may also want to check out Jeff Novick's SNAP Meal template (link below).
It sounds like you are already in the groove!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10519
Mark Cooper

Postby Yomom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks, Mark! I can overeat on Jeff’s SNAP meals, so the 50:50 plate is working better.
Kathy
Yomom

Postby choufleur » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Hello, I would like to join this thread for next month if that's OK? I don't have a lot of weight to lose and am in the healthy BMI range, but would like to be leaner and closer to the lower end. I would mostly like some accountability and support, and reading through most of this thread, this seems to be the place. :) Although I do not eat animal products, I do sometimes have added oil (mostly because of eating out) and eat higher plant foods like avocados and nuts. I think this is one of the reasons I haven't been able to get down to the leanest I could be and still have visible fat on my body. I would like to try MWL, which I haven't done before, but I need some support.

I think I will start a journal too.
choufleur

Postby Svenja » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Thank you Ami for cheering on my 'skirt' experience :)
I do wear skirts a lot in summer (to bad it's over with now) but wearing it with those knee high boots ... feels pretty good ;)

black boots, black leggings (is that actually an English word ... or is it 'tights'?), skirt with very small black and white pattern, black shirt and cardigan with little applications of a similar pattern as the skirt. ... I'd say casual but a little formal, not business!

I am happy that today I was back at my previous weight ... after my little experiment last week and McDougall cookies on the weekend ... the scale was very unkind ... but 'we' are good again ;)

'See' you Saturday (Friday in your case!)
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Svenja » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:35 pm

choufleur wrote:Hello, I would like to join this thread for next month if that's OK? I don't have a lot of weight to lose and am in the healthy BMI range, but would like to be leaner and closer to the lower end. I would mostly like some accountability and support, and reading through most of this thread, this seems to be the place. :) Although I do not eat animal products, I do sometimes have added oil (mostly because of eating out) and eat higher plant foods like avocados and nuts. I think this is one of the reasons I haven't been able to get down to the leanest I could be and still have visible fat on my body. I would like to try MWL, which I haven't done before, but I need some support.

I think I will start a journal too.

Great goal!
Glad to have you here! Join the weigh-in on Friday!
Hope MWL goes well for you and you can reach your goal!
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby GlennR » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:59 am

Well, it's not much but I'll happily take it. 217.5 this morning, that's a half pound down from last Friday. This week and the one ahead are filled with travel so eating out at restaurants will continue. I am as careful as any restaurant will allow but that's seldom as good as eating at home where you can control all the variables.

.5 down.

Best wishes to the whole supportive group! Good luck today on your weigh in and for the upcoming week.

Cheers,
Glenn
Glenn
GlennR

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:26 am

Hi Everyone! I forgot it was weigh-in day! I can report a loss again this week. I've lost 2 lbs. this week! I'm working through the Beck Diet Solution program. It's helping me to stay focused on exercise, meal preparation, and sensible eating. It is a simple routine. Getting there is not easy. Staying there is difficult. But giving up is even worse! I hope you all are having positive results with your efforts to lose weight. We ALL can do it - no exceptions! Best to you all. Happy Fall! :)
moonlight

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:04 am

Great start for this week! Kudos to Glenn! Great loss moonlight!

I can report a loss of .2 lbs this week, so I think my maintenance is right on track. I haven't really made any changes from MWL apart from not worrying too much about fruit consumption.

In regards to my ongoing medical situation - I had an ultrasound to see if my spleen was enlarged, it turns out it is actually smaller than normal. The hematologist / oncologist explained that apparently my anemia is hemolytic but the cause is still unknown. None of the various blood tests have pointed in any clear direction, so the next step (based on my abnormal mri & bone scan results) is a bone marrow biopsy to find out what is going on. It seems based on the blood work that I don't seem to have cancer, but it is totally up in the air as far as what could be causing this and to what extent it is or isn't connected to my continuing foot/ankle/knee pain. So no answers yet, but hopefully the biopsy will provide some insight. I'm trying to stay positive, but honestly the situation is really frustrating and a bit scary. I'm a bit of a control freak, so big unknowns are pretty tough for me to manage. I'm really grateful for this group - it is such a safe and supportive environment.

Best wishes for an awesome and successful week to everybody! Take care & be well.
Mark Cooper

Postby choufleur » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi all, and thanks for the welcome Svenja.
I weighed myself this morning on my scale and am going to report a 0, since it's my starting weight. I will report losses/gains from this number. I have a manual scale at home which is what I used but I'll be going to the gym next week on Fridays and will be able to use the digital scale there. I was actually there this morning but forgot to use it to weigh! I'm so used to NOT weighing myself. :lol:

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
choufleur

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program