September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby squealcat » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:55 pm

This week I have a gain of 3.4 pounds. I am tired of this up and down, up and down that I am doing. I have tried many things to help and I am thankful for the habits and routines that have gotten ingrained in me this past year but REALLY ?? What is going on with me? I think partly (or mostly) that I feel really good and can fit in clothes that make me feel good so I am pretty happy with myself except I am not at goal ! Even my goal weight of 160 is not really a good BMI for my height.... Well, I will just keep going . Not sure if I will continue next month although I enjoy reading what you all are doing and thinking. I may just read what others are doing and maybe join in at the end of October. Don't know.

Have a good next week and great October !

-Marilyn (squealcat)
squealcat

Postby medamoso » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:13 pm

I had a terrible week this week. I cannot stop eating during the day. Every night and morning I resolve to do better but then I start eating again and get out of control. As a basis I stick to the McDougall diet and make good food every morning like steamed broccoli and red lentil stew, but then I eat it all plus also eat all sorts of stuff not on the diet nonstop all day long. Last night I ate frozen vegan burger which had wheat gluten in it so all day today I have had a pounding headache (which is a reaction to wheat that I know I have, but I still ate it anyway.) I wasn't even hungry when I ate it! I know I need to get out more, I haven't walked outside or exercised at all this week. Plus I get sucked into political drama and follow twitter and listen to podcasts which depress me.

I gained 1 pound this week (to 225.) I know it could have been worse. I don't know how but I must get control and get back on track!
~ Melissa
highest weight: 230 lbs
current weight: 205.6 lbs
medamoso

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Melissa and Marilyn,
I feel your frustration! I've been there many times - just wanting to eat. Don't give up. You can and will do this! You'll find your groove and pace. Maybe pick just one thing to concentrate on this next week. Maybe, it's to only eat MWL food. Then just eat as much of it as you want. 5 potatoes for lunch then 2 more in a couple of hours. Whatever will soothe your desire to eat. I have eaten 3 large bowls of popcorn in one evening before. While overeating is not ideal you can at least get the bad stuff out of your diet. Once you are in control of that, you can move on to another goal. Take it one step at a time. Hang in there. Give yourself credit for showing up on this board. We are your support group - through the good, the bad, and the ugly! XXOX :)
moonlight

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Here to weigh in.
Zero weight lost again :(. Eating on plan doing MWL the 50/50 plate/bowl style & still nothing happening, it's been almost a month! Beyond frustrated as I have been at this for years literally. This morning tried the big bowl of non-starchy vegetables before any other foods. I am not giving up....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby belcimo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:14 pm

247! Down 7 since Saturday!
belcimo

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi to the Group!! :) Lose, gain, maintain --- we are all here and building healthy habits... Something to be proud of regardless of what the scale says. So, a big woot, woot to everyone!!!

Amy, you pay it forward every week!! :D I love this whole concept!! Yes, what is better than helping someone and having a win-win for both? From a mentoring perspective, am loving a part of my job where I am coaching a wonderful recent college grad - has helped me feel less "stale" and helped her to get her feet on the ground and succeed. Your favorite restaurant sounds wonderful (bummer that it's not local for you anymore)!! The best is when you can work a local restaurant to prepare meals that are compliant... I have a local pizza place like that (not MWL compliant and haven't eaten there this year) - they actually added a button on the cash register for a no cheese, no oil pizza for me -- they reduced price because cheese is the most expensive ingredient (I did not ask for reduced price... find a chain that would do that...).

Rosey, Glad you found a new doctor and hope your visit goes well and she can help your poor feet!!!

Kathy, Hi and welcome!! (OK, I am a little jealous that you got to go to the 3-day... ) :) Wishing you well on meeting your goals!!

Choufleur, I think you found a great place for support!! I can so relate to what you mention about eating higher fat plant foods (you mentioned my favorites...). I started MWL (mainly) this year (after McD'ing in the past) -- and I love it !! Best to you!

Svenja, so glad to hear your non-scale victory!! Awesome to feel good about your clothes / good about yourself!

Congrats, Glenn!!

Woo-hoo, Moonlight!! :cool: "giving up is even worse..." Agree!! Never give up!!!

Congrats, Mark and wishing you well as you navigate through this medical situation. Must be frustrating playing the waiting game for a diagnosis.

Hi Marilyn and Melissa, can't say it better than Moonlight already has... I so agree with her advice to maybe focus on one thing at a time (like a weekly goal)- and just keep on building habits that can become rote. Some members find the MWL guidelines helpful in identifying areas for opportunity. We're all so different with what our challenges may be, but we all share the same objectives. Wishing you both the best for the week ahead....

OOnaOwl, I love your quote on your signature line. Inspiring! Wishing you a great week.

Belcimo, Congrats!! Wow!!

I've been trying to go on "auto-pilot" this week and have done pretty well with that for eating mainly MWL (keeping it simple) and exercising for at least 30 minutes each morning. Have had to work late too many nights and have co-worker with a humongous pretzel jar that I have visited twice this week (I opened the door last week - Pleasure Trap?). Unlike many other foods, hard for me to create a mental picture of a repulsive pretzel... so, I'm thinking of a salt lick (like a deer would come to) because the pretzel really isn't that good - it's the salt and a quick fix for hunger? ... Have tried to stop this scenario by bringing an extra serving of potato or rice to work (in case of emergency) - this has helped so far. Down .8 lbs this week - which is the bottom of my 3 lb. range for maintenance.

Hope that everyone has a great week!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Rosey » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Last week was 274.5 lbs and this week is 272.6 lbs for 1.9 lbs gone this week.
Rosey

Postby marge.tn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:05 pm

Hello to everyone....this is my 1st ever post! don't know what I'm doing...but I'm going to do it.
I am joining the September 2018 McDougall Weigh in Thread today reporting a weight loss of 6 pounds from 9-23-18 to today 9-28
Starting Weight: 226 Todays weight: 220.

It is great. First week of the MWL;my goal is 30 # in 6 months.

QUESTION: Is this how I post my weight loss weekly in the Weigh in Thread?

Thanks for your help. Love seeing all the progress; it's inspiring.
marge.tn

Postby amandamechele » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:31 am

Rosey - I hope this doctor is a good fit for your family! Fingers crossed for you, that you not only like her but that she is amenable to your dietary choices and can help you with your health concerns.

Kathy!!!! - Great to have you back. :) Those are four great goals!

Choufleur - Hi and Welcome! We're glad to have you join us for some support and accountability. Starting a journal is a great way to keep track of what you are eating, where you are struggling and share how you are doing. I bet once the oil and higher fat items are removed you will steadily move your weight into a zone that makes you happy. Hope you have a good weekend too!

Svenja - We use both words in Canada (I can't speak for the States). Tights are opaque stockings and leggings are similar but can be of a variety of fabrics and do not cover the feet....said inelegantly: stretchy pants.

Glenn! - Yes!

Moonlight - Awesome! That book seems to have helped you focus your efforts. One thing that's the same is your positive attitude...that has also been working in your favour too!

Mark - Your first maintenance week is going well. I'm so glad that, so far, your health troubles have avoided some of the most difficult diagnoses. I'll hope for a continuance of that. You are doing everything you can to positively affect whatever the outcome is, take solace in that.

Marilyn - XO. I understand battle fatigue well. I have more to say, but later.

Melissa - I feel your pain, my journal from 2013 on the forums is titled I've lost count of how many times I have restarted. I had to learn to fix one piece of broken process at a time. 1) Understand what to eat (for that there's the MWL guidelines, and all of Dr. McDougall's books). Equally important was to understand why I kept slipping up. For that it was the work of staff psychologist Dr. Doug Lisle. His book The Pleasure Trap was instrumental in turning around how I thought about myself in order to be able to properly tackle the food issues. He has done more than 15 webinars for the McDougall's as well located on this website under the education tab. 3) Build up a playbook of strategies - common ones like, being prepared, keeping the house clear of junk food and picking 6 recipes to rotate...and very individualistic ones like not walking by the dried fruit and nut display case at the grocery store if I hadn't eaten yet. Moonlight said it so well, take it one step at a time.
I will admit the strategy I have been using to avoid political drama is to just not watch the news...the downside is that I don't get to watch the news....LOL.

OonaOwl - I am glad to hear you are not giving up. If I recall correctly you are quite close to a natural weight for your body. Do I have that correct? If so, then give it another month at least...the fat loss may be small, but may accumulate enough to be measured with just a bit more time of excellent adherence....and it sounds like you have excellent adherence.

Bel - Nice work! Keep up the strong effort. :)

Steph - XO. Mentoring is an awesome way to pay-it-forward...I have noticed that people who find excellent mentors tend to themselves become excellent mentors and thus keep knowledge and wisdom moving from one person to the next while forging satisfying bonds. I'm glad you are doing well enough in all of your other good food choices that the pretzels aren't having any undue effect on your weight. With regards to the pleasure trap...you know what to do. :) It is hard to visualize a pretzel in a disgusting way...LOL...I think I'd better stop visualizing the pretzels...HA!

Rosey - Nice work Rosey!

Marge - Yay! I'm glad you figured out how to post your first post, this is the right spot for the weigh-ins. You've had quite a successful first week. It's not unexpected for the losses to slow down a bit, so don't be discouraged if it's not quite as high next week. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the MWL program so be sure to check out the links on the first page of the September thread. Especially Jeff Novick's lecture on Calorie Density. Best wishes!
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:07 am

Good Morning wonderful weigh-in people!

I lost 2 pounds (... yes, the 2 pounds I had gained last week .... )

The last weeks I've been back into the swing with batch cooking. It makes my week so much easier ... I cooked brown rice and spelt and mixed it with oven backed spicy vegetables, I made a sauce with blended white beans as a base and I had sweet-potato falafel with it.
Since it is apple season ... I had lots of tiny apples, more or less right from the tree :)

I've been having a bit of a rough week in terms of pain ... I pulled a muscle in my upper right arm ... no fun ... but it's getting better now!

I am looking forward to a slower week ahead. Wednesday is a public holiday and I am off work in my employed job, just seeing some private patients on Monday and Tuesday!

Have a great week everyone! Keep going!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby moonspirit » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:01 am

Hi all,

Just a very quick post today with my weight, and I'll do a real check-in tonight; I've got an all-day training.

Down to 161.2, a loss of .6 from last week.

Have a great day!
moonspirit

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:38 am

I’m going to have to skip weigh-in this week. In the middle of moving and everything is in disarray. I haven’t even gotten to read through the thread.

Best to all!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby OOnaOwl » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:49 am

OonaOwl - I am glad to hear you are not giving up. If I recall correctly you are quite close to a natural weight for your body. Do I have that correct? If so, then give it another month at least...the fat loss may be small, but may accumulate enough to be measured with just a bit more time of excellent adherence....and it sounds like you have excellent adherence.

[/quote]

Thank you! I know it seems I don't have much, but for me it is at least 15 pounds of pure fat on top of what is a healthy size for me. My natural weight is between 90-110 and I am currently pushing 120. I am very petite (5'0") with small frame, so it looks like more (double chin, rolls, cellulite, the works). I guess it is possible to be losing very small amounts of fat that aren't yet showing on the scale, but tape measurements don't show it either. I sometimes have 1 cheat meal a week but that is my only diversion (other than half-caff which I refuse to part with :)). This week I am upping the non starchy veggies even more, starting my day with a huge bowl of steamed ones & then a reasonable bowl of oats/fruit a while later. I do feel better eating this way, but really my #1 goal is fat loss because I am much fatter than I used to be! I am sticking with this plan until December at least, but if no weight at all is lost & no fat/inches I may have to reconsider. I really appreciate your support, and this group & forum. Wishing health & happiness to all! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby squealcat » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:31 pm

Moonlight: Thank you so much for your comment and help. I was very discouraged and unhappy with myself. When I read your comment I immediately felt much better and got my "hope" back again.

Today was a good day. I wrote down my food for the day and just ate what I had planned. Stopped at the grocery store and almost grabbed something that was not on my plan but thought about how I would feel after those couple of minutes of pleasure were gone and walked on by. I DID feel so proud of myself and went home to eat my planned dinner.

Looking forward to visiting with one of my sons tomorrow along with his wife and two boys. I am going to cook up some of my steel cut oats with blueberries for myself and whoever whats some. We are also having bagels but I like my oatmeal enough that I will pass on the bagels.

Have a good week everyone. I will probably continue posting in the October group "meet-up" for MWL.

Thank you everyone !

-Marilyn (squealcat)
squealcat

Postby Idgie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:06 pm

Gained 4.2 pounds on my trip, but I'm not worrying about it. Lots and lots and lots of stress-eating, but I made it through the trip without yelling at anyone or murdering a single family member, so I'm gonna call it good. SO HAPPY to be back home. I'm baking some sweet potatoes and yukon golds on the grill right now so I can have my own food on my own terms tomorrow. Whew!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program