September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby OOnaOwl » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:36 pm

Idgie wrote:Gained 4.2 pounds on my trip, but I'm not worrying about it. Lots and lots and lots of stress-eating, but I made it through the trip without yelling at anyone or murdering a single family member, so I'm gonna call it good. SO HAPPY to be back home. I'm baking some sweet potatoes and yukon golds on the grill right now so I can have my own food on my own terms tomorrow. Whew!

What a great perspective on your current circumstance. Success comes in all shapes & sizes as do we! Good for you getting back on track so soon after your return :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby amandamechele » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:32 am

Hi All!

Thank you very very much to everyone weighing in this week. To those that had some great losses, congratulations on your efforts and their evidence. Keep up the great work and continue to be an example to those around you in your family, community and here online. :)

This week's post is dedicated to everyone else: Gaining, struggling or maintaining when they'd rather be losing weight.

My sincerest wish is that even if you are feeling frustrated with your progress or your adherence level or your rate of weight loss that you don't let these thoughts lead you to make choices that will take you even further away from your goals.

This is a good time to think about what brought you here and consider a few things. What are your exact goals? Have you made progress? Are you be better off in any way since eating an MWL style diet? Also ask yourself what expectations haven't been met? Are those expectations realistic? Is there anything that you could do differently to help meet them? Exactly how closely are you following the dietary guidelines? List out any deviations. What about the other lifestyle recommendations, are you following them? Is coming here to weigh in making you unhappy? Is it because you could be following the program more closely? Do you think the people in the group will think less of you if you don't lose any weight, or even gain some? Do you feel badly for not following the program as well as you perceive others to be following it?

When the scale is presenting you with failure feedback it is understandable to be unhappy about it. It is also understandable to want to avoid future failure feedback.
Please consider just digging in and continuing with your current path while you sort through the details. You will hopefully find that the weary frustration will pass and a new budding motivation will blossom. This cycle is going to occur over and over again while trying to lose weight. The hope is to not lose too much ground during the weary frustration phase so that you can make fresh progress with each period of motivation.

A surfer knows that they've got to be in the water in order for a chance to catch a big wave and often they've got to paddle back and forth a few times before getting a good ride.

Hang-ten this week everyone! Find your wave. XO (See you in the October thread!!)

Amy

PS. Each of us may have a different rate-of and path-to progress. There is an optimal way, but even if you don't take that route you can still get where you want to go if you just keep trying...even when it feels uncomfortable.

PPS. Here's a webinar from 2016 from Dr. Lim called The Secret to Weight Loss. (We're lucky enough to be in on the secret already, but he gives a great summary in his refreshingly enthusiastic way :) )

Here are the results for the fourth week in September:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, October 5th, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 456.71 pounds

September 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 52.5 pounds
Total group loss in April 2018: 26.9 pounds
Total group loss in May 2018: 50.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2018: 54.3 pounds
Total group loss in July 2018: 50.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2018: 73.85 pounds
Total group loss in September 2018: 44.06 pounds

Week ending 09/28/2018: 17 participants reported a total loss of 7.6 pounds
---------------------------------------
Squealcat - 3.4
Medamoso - 1.0
Idgie - 4.2
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 8.6
--------------------------------------
Yomom - 0.0
Choufleur - 0.0
GlennR - 0.5
Moonlight - 2.0
Mark Cooper - 0.2
OOnaOwl - 0.0
Belcimo - 7.0
VegSeekingFit - 0.8
Rosey - 1.9
Marge_tn - 0.0
Svenja - 2.0
Moonspirit - 0.6
Lyndzie - 0.0
Amandamechele - 1.2
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 16.2
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in September 2018: 44.06 pounds
Week ending 09/28/2018: 17 participants reported a total loss of 7.6 pounds
Week ending 09/21/2018: 14 participants reported a total loss of 16.2 pounds
Week ending 09/14/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 9.8 pounds
Week ending 09/07/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 10.46 pounds

Some of my meals this week: (There was a birthday in my house and my daughter made a delicious banana bread from the Happy Herbivore Cookbook - not MWL but regular program adherent in the feast category - the picture is on my flickr account, but I won't post it here)
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:15 pm

Svenja - Good evening wonderful Svenja.... Your falafal meal sounds delicious. What else is in that white bean recipe? Sorry to hear about your arm, was it from giving fascia treatments? That can be quite physical work.

Becca - Great job this week, enjoy the training.

Lindsey - All the best to you too with your move. Are you moving very far from your current location?

OOnaOwl - Thanks for responding, it sounds like you have a good plan and now it just comes down to time and consistent adherence working their magic. You can do this! I'm also impressed with your plan to see this through for a number of months before deciding that it isn't working. Wishing health and happiness to you as well.

Marilyn - I am so happy to read that the right words came at the right time. That's exactly how a good support network is supposed to work. How did your visit to your son's go today? I hope you decide to continue posting in the October thread and never feel bad about spinning your wheels for a time (I mean look at me!!). We are all just trying to figure this out at our own pace. It has taken me years to get to where I am. Some people it takes months, others it just takes a bit more. XO. (All that being said, please also don't feel any pressure to post in October if you're really not feeling up to it...just come on back if ever you feel you want to)

Idgie - Glad you survived the trip with your positive attitude intact. :) This week will go much better now that you are home.

To No one in particular - This week I finally found a caffeine free tea that I enjoy. Yay! I tried quite a few and learned that I don't personally like many floral or spicy mixes, and chamomile makes my tongue itch.

I've settled on Organic Green Rooibos. It tastes about as close to my favourite green tea as I've been able to find...much in the way Nutritional yeast tastes like cheese, if you know what I mean...LOL.

The world feels right again.

XO

Amy

Hope to see you all in the October thread.

amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:51 am

amandamechele wrote:This is a good time to think about what brought you here and consider a few things. What are your exact goals? Have you made progress? Are you be better off in any way since eating an MWL style diet? Also ask yourself what expectations haven't been met? Are those expectations realistic? Is there anything that you could do differently to help meet them? Exactly how closely are you following the dietary guidelines? List out any deviations. What about the other lifestyle recommendations, are you following them? Is coming here to weigh in making you unhappy? Is it because you could be following the program more closely? Do you think the people in the group will think less of you if you don't lose any weight, or even gain some? Do you feel badly for not following the program as well as you perceive others to be following it?

PPS. Here's a webinar from 2016 from Dr. Lim called The Secret to Weight Loss. (We're lucky enough to be in on the secret already, but he gives a great summary in his refreshingly enthusiastic way :) )

Amy, thank you so much for the wonderful encouraging words and these great links. It's such a motivating read to re-read the guidelines.
moonlight

Postby choufleur » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:37 pm

Thank you Stephanie and Amy for your comments. I have read all of the messages on this thread and am really impressed at what a supportive group this is!

Marilyn and Melissa - I am sorry that you are struggling and I hope this week will be better.

See you all in the October thread!
choufleur

Postby Idgie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Oops, posted to the wrong thread. :-)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program