Potatoes only?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Potatoes only?

Postby JeffN » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:38 pm

Doing_Dirt wrote:My search function did not work when I typed in "Potatoes only". Said I was ignored... :cry:

Is this really something worth trying?
The Australian Andrew Taylor did it for a year and lost about 115 lbs.

Anything I need to know or do before I commit?
Any supplements other than B-12?

I'm not positive of the health effects besides weight loss.

Thanks.
-Jay

We don’t recommend that here, especially in regard to weight loss. The reason is, the main issue with weight loss is learning how to live and eat on a day to day basis day in and day out. Eating only potatoes, (or fasting) or doing anything other then what you will do for life, doesn’t teach you that. Same with most diets, diet hacks, etc, they are just something to do to lose weight. This program is for life and something you can do every day for the rest of your life.

The means and the end are the same.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:40 pm

For more info

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52437

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:08 am

Have you heard of the Mary’s Mini?

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby geo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:30 pm

As Jeff said, its not recommended here, nor is it a long term way to eat. It does show what is possible from a simple single food perspective, but its no way to enjoy food or your life.

I lost 106 lbs in a year following the MWL Plan and utilizing JeffN's SNAP style meal plan. It works great, you lose fast, regain your health, reverse and cure chronic diseases, inflammation, aches and pains, helps you sleep well and avoid doctors, etc... and its cheap, easy/quick to make, taste good, simplifies your life and lets you enjoy whats really important...for the rest of yur life.

Take a look at my testimonial link below in my sig to see the results. To see how I did it, everyday for a year (and still do to this day), look at my journal link below as well.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:03 am

Good luck! I’ve done three weeks before. It’s fun to play around with all the ways you can cook a potato - mashed, baked, boiled, hash browns. And all the varieties, too. It really is an opportunity to get creative.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ltldogg » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:25 am

Jay,

I highly discourage you from going down this path and instead encourage you to take the advice that JeffN gave you in his response.

Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:40 am

I think it's all about compliance. If you can be compliant on what some of us would find a really boring and restrictive diet, go for it! If you find it makes you crave the variety of the drive-through menu, then don't. I don't think it's hypocritical to encourage people not to sabotage themselves. If we HAVE to survive on just potatoes, we absolutely can, with no negative health effects; that doesn't mean if we're presented with a million choices of foods, we're likely to successfully avoid all but the unadorned potato. I think people are looking out for you, but at the same time, if you can do it and it makes life easier, go for it! Dr. McDougall and Mary did potatoes only for 10 days and they seem to have loved it.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Ltldogg » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Doing_Dirt wrote:Update #2
Today is Wednesday September 5th, 2018.

I have eaten potatoes for 2 days. The experience has been negative. I don't get bored just by having strong will power, but seems the risk over reward was misleading. Jeff has educated me on the subject that eating only potatoes is not an impossible thing to do, but should only be done for survival situations.

I have returned to the MWL program and enjoy it. The pointless potato challenge had zero impact greater than enjoying the starch based foods recommended by Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick.

If anyone out there is curious about trying this, PLEASE take my advice and the advice from well educated people on the matter to please get the thought out of your head. Enjoy the MWL approved foods and understand there is no quick fix. Eat starched based foods for a happy healthy lifetime.

Thanks!
-Jay

Ltldogg

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:15 pm

What was so negative about the experience? I’m curious, because I’ve done it before, and it was fine. Boring, but fine.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby f00die » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:44 pm

yup, its a kind of "eating for entertainment" (recreational eating)
a potato eating game
vs. eating something healthy to satisfy hunger
f00die

Postby earthwalker7 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:46 pm

geo wrote:As Jeff said, its not recommended here, nor is it a long term way to eat. It does show what is possible from a simple single food perspective, but its no way to enjoy food or your life.

I lost 106 lbs in a year following the MWL Plan and utilizing JeffN's SNAP style meal plan. It works great, you lose fast, regain your health, reverse and cure chronic diseases, inflammation, aches and pains, helps you sleep well and avoid doctors, etc... and its cheap, easy/quick to make, taste good, simplifies your life and lets you enjoy whats really important...for the rest of yur life.

Take a look at my testimonial link below in my sig to see the results. To see how I did it, everyday for a year (and still do to this day), look at my journal link below as well.

What is the SNAP meal prep method please? Can you elaborate?

Also please don't be so quick to dismiss such things as an all-potato diet.
Nice that you lost weight on MWL, but not everyone does.
And for those of us who struggle, desperate moves to a diet hack are often sought after.
earthwalker7

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:41 am

Earthwalker, here is the info you are looking for. Jeff created a meal template that is quick, cheap, easy and delicious, and referred to as SNAP (I am spacing on what the acronym stands for at the moment). His Fast Food 1 DVD is a great visual to the process, and I found it very helpful to watch.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/Advance ... t_3-13.pdf
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program