Perseverance without success...

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Perseverance without success...

Postby f00die » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:01 pm

Jami wrote:...
Trouble now is that I have diet fatigue.

Am disillusioned and a bit angry.

this is not necessarily a bad place to be
coz it can lead one to abandoning dieting behavior/expectations
and eat the allowed foods until comfortably full
and leaving the rest of the stuff to be what it is
coz for one, better nutrition is better nutrition.
f00die

Postby Jami » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Compassion and consideration…
Thank you Lyndzie and f00die

Yes, I will contact Jeff Novick…But 1st I think I need to collect myself Because the last few days I have been coming off the rails. And not in any way that could be construed as “good” or “healthy”

Still Vegan but all of a sudden eating protest cold cereal, indignant Ezekial Raisin Toast and resentfully slathering (vs a judicial dollop) a baked potato in hummus.…In my newly constructed world… this is a binge.

But, f00die, you are correct. Good nutrition is good nutrition. I didn’t really have blood values that needed improving…but this has to be better for kidney health and whatever else I might face as a Senior( ?!) citizen :eek:

OK…Thank you so much!

Jami
Jami

Postby landog » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am

I would agree that hiring Jeff Novick for consultations is a great idea.

Lyndzie wrote:I can imagine how frustrating that must feel! Jeff Novick does phone calls. He’s the best. I would highly recommend booking a call with him. Best wishes!
landog

Postby JackyE » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:01 am

Trouble now is that I have diet fatigue.

Dear Jami. I recognize your struggle. It helped me a lot to realize I'm not on a diet. I changed my way of eating. Even if I reach my weight goal, I wil not be going back to eating bad stuff, because now a days, it makes me sick or tired. The minute I stopped calling it a diet, my weight loss didn't seem to matter as much anymore. Maybe this thought will help you too. Wish you all the best.
JackyE

Postby OOnaOwl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Hello Jami,
I just read through your post, how are things going for you now? I am back here after many moons away. I am another person who has found weight loss not yet forthcoming on MWL. I am back here to try yet again! Wishing you all the best :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby Jami » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 am

Hi JackyE and OOnaOwl ~

Thank you for your responses...So nice to hear back from fellow travelers... ;-) ;-)

Dear JE ~

I am absolutely committed to this way of life. Suits me to a "T"...I don't intend to "go off it" as one might do with a reducing diet...

However, I am still disheartened that my weight has not budged. But truly, Thank-you for taking the time to write me..

Dear OOnaOwl ~

Still here. No weight loss...Nonetheless, I'm going to continue to eat in a Low Fat Vegan manner.

Do have a bone to pick with all the Dr.s (not just Dr. McD.) who tout the benefits of an ad libitum WFPB diet.

It simply does not apply to all people and is a bit disingenuous to make the claims they clearly make.

I spent entire day reading Jeff Novick’s posts clarifying “the all you can eat” conundrum.

Am totally aware this will draw criticism, but….

Dr. McDougall purports one set of beliefs and then Jeff needs to clean it up.

Dr. McDougall has written a lifetime of books stating very clearly his beliefs and assuming those of us who bought them are reasonably literate….

Why do his imperatives and exhortations require so many caveats and explanations?

Meanwhile just received lab results. My HDL is low and my triglycerides are 215....

My MD wants me to quit "this Vegan nonsense and add "good" animal protein back in."

Between rock and hard place. Not following my Doc's recommendations and Dr.s McD and Esselstyn et al not exactly accessible. Thought to go to McDougall's but if 5 months have created this mess cannot see the benefit.

I am/was such a proponent. Such a believer. Now totally lost in the wilderness.
Jami

Postby Idgie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Jami, my feeling is this: if for some reason your body doesn't do well on Plan A, then there are 25 more letters in the alphabet. I know some people (including Dr. McD) can sometimes treat his plan like a religion, but you are the one inhabiting your body, and if you want to tweak something and see if that works, I think it's a really reasonable/responsible way to go about things. Anyway, nothing you didn't already know, but I want you to know that I hear you and support you, and I think something that works for most people doesn't necessarily work for every individual body.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Jami » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Ahhhhh Idgie ~

My 1st ever responder to my 1st ever posting on a forum!! ;)

Thank you for your reply....

Actually, I was kinda shuddering thinking I would get drummed off the forum for being insubordinate. Phew!!
When I re-read my post it sounded more churlish than I intended....

After my (self) indoctrination to WFPB eating ~ I just cannot go back.
For both humane and health reasons I want to continue being a Vegan.

So there is no alphabet for me. :( This is it.

I just do not know how to better implement.

I know... :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I guess I think/thought that if I keep asking, keep imploring, keep reading, keep trying... something will turn the key....

The bad lipid panel is not encouraging and am still at a loss...

xoxo Jami
Jami

Postby f00die » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:16 pm

hey jami
do you keep food diary?
pls post a 3 day food log (everything you eat and drink)
any 3 days will do
f00die

Postby Idgie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi, Jami,

Oh, absolutely -- not recommending you abandon WFPB, just that you make some tweaks and see if that helps. For me, one thing that really really helped was to take on Jeff's advice of starting each meal with soup (or salad, but soup is easier/cheaper, so I do that the majority of the time). I do it almost every meal now, including breakfast, and it's helping SO MUCH.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Jami » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 am

Ok Idgie and F00die...You're on...Kinda :)

Posting of 3-day food diary somewhat difficult because I generally do not eat processed food.
(Not including an infrequent indulgence of Qdoba or Taco Time for weekend lunches)

So when I say “Lentil Soup” without posting the recipe it does not mean much…

But in the spirit in which it was asked (kind, caring) I will post typical days…

Breakfast: the same every day. I make 1 cup Bob’s Steel Cut Oatmeal with 4 cups water, huge shakes of cinnamon and a little salt.

I divide it among 4 small bowls and have one for breakfast. I eat it with 1 TBS Simply Fruit Spread. Nothing else added. Nothing else eaten..The weight in ounces for a morning bowl of oatmeal is 6.75 ounces.

Lunch: Leftover homemade soup. Might be Minestrone, Lentil, Split Green Pea or a Mixed Bean (barley, lentils, green and yellow split peas) with Vegetable. All made without oil or sugar. Also might be “International Rice” which I found on this site. Sometimes leftover Sweet or Russet Potato which I eat with large Green Salad (no oil) and Broccoli. Sometimes I add 2 pan crisped (without oil) Corn Tortillas.

On weekends, we sometimes go to Qdoba for lunch and get Vegan Burrito Bowls…Once in a blue moon ~ we will go to Taco Time and get Pinto Bean Soft Taco (no Ranch, no cheese) and if really living it up ~ add a side of rice.

Dinner: Usually Baked Potato with dollop homemade Hummus + Green Salad dressed with oil-free/ sugar-free/sweetener free Dressing + Green Vegetables.
Other nights might be an oil-free Vegetable Stir Fry served with Brown Rice.
Many, many times a Homemade Soup.

When out we order Baked Potatoes, Steamed Vegetables and ask for Cocktail Sauce to flavor food.

Since starting the MWL Program have totally dropped fresh fruit which I miss a lot…Also used to eat bowl Grape Nuts or the Bran Shredded Wheat with Cashew Milk and Blueberries...That too, no longer eaten.

There ~ That is basically it….

Thank-you…

Jami.
Jami

Postby Jami » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:59 am

PS.

I failed to mention that other starches in weekly rotation are: Kasha, Quinoa, Wild Rice, Barley and hmmm... others not coming quickly to mind....
I drink 2 cups black coffee in the morning followed by 3 or 4 glasses of warm water sometimes doused with squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Only other beverage is an occasional Pellegrino
I do not drink alcohol and wine..They (especially wine) give me a headache.
I take Vitamins B12 and D daily...
Jami

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:02 pm

Doing_Dirt wrote:
Jami wrote:Since starting the MWL Program have totally dropped fresh fruit which I miss a lot…

I thought we can have up to 2 pieces of fresh fruit per day?

That's correct, Doing Dirt - Dr. McDougall's guidelines for MWL say to limit fruit to 2 servings per day.
Mark Cooper

Postby Jami » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:08 pm

I am aware program allows 2 fruits...
Eliminated because thought would try to do without fructose...
And with the discovery of my elevated triglycerides...Will continue to eschew.
Jami

Postby Jami » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:49 pm

So Sorry, DD
Not my intention, at all....
Just my personal tweak...
Wishing you success!!!
Jami

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program