August 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:10 pm

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone for checking in this week. You are all doing really well and I am humbled and impressed by your determination. I wasn't going to do a separate post for today because this was the FIRST time in the almost-two-years that I've been facilitating this group that the 1st of the month falls on the same day as the week ending tally. So I'll keep it short...2 paragraphs...max.
I wanted to share a link that wasn't quite right for the monthly introductory post, but I found helpful for re-focusing my efforts inward. One of the motivational barriers to starting or maintaining effort towards a goal can be when the people in our lives think we should be able to achieve it, but we aren't so sure ourselves. Dr. Lisle has explained this concept, called the Ego Trap, in his McDougall webinar The Slow Fast Way. This week on the Beat Your Genes Podcast he goes into further detail about the complexity of this cost-benefit analysis. (listen around the 14:30 minute mark for a quick list). Being Productive: Escaping the Ego Trap.

My takeaway:
1) I'm not capable of writing anything in under 2 paragraphs. :P
2) Try your best not to let your own perception of what others think you are capable of influence your decision on whether or not to work towards a goal.

If you want to lose weight accept that you may flounder. Accept that you may fail at it more than once. Accept that some people may think less of you because it is not their issue and they may not be able to see the variety of different challenges you face.

But...do not stop trying due to that fear of failure...keep coming back. This thread is the place for your first, second and hundredth kick at this can! As Jeff said to me recently, when I was feeling particularly embarrassed about trying to inspire people here, while personally struggling, the successes never quit !

Thanks for another month together, see you all in the September thread!

Amy XO

PS. I know I posted this early, so I will add in anyone who weighs-in on Saturday (if anyone does). It just felt weird putting up a new thread without finishing the old one.

Here are the results for the fifth week in August:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 7th, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 412.65 pounds

August 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 52.5 pounds
Total group loss in April 2018: 26.9 pounds
Total group loss in May 2018: 50.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2018: 54.3 pounds
Total group loss in July 2018: 50.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2018: 73.85 pounds

Week ending 08/31/2018: 11 participants reported a total loss of 7.35 pounds
---------------------------------------
Squealcat - 0.4
Mark Cooper - 3.75
Victw - 0.4
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 4.55
--------------------------------------
Idgie - 1.4
Jobet - 0.6
Lyndzie - 1.9
Rosey - 1.6
VegSeekingFit - 3.0
Moonlight - 1.0
Amandamechele - 0.8
Moonspirit - 3.6
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 11.9
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in August 2018: 73.85 pounds
Week ending 08/31/2018: 11 participants reported a total loss of 7.35 pounds
Week ending 08/24/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 8.5 pounds
Week ending 08/17/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 22 pounds
Week ending 08/10/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 16.1 pounds
Week ending 08/03/2018: 16 participants reported a total loss of 19.9 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby moonspirit » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:53 am

Hi everybody,

My apologies that my normal Saturday weigh-in doesn't fit quite as well this month. I lost 3.6 lbs this week, down to 166.8.

Thanks for all you do, Amy.

-Becca
moonspirit

Postby victw » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:30 am

Up .4 from last week. But this is no biggie because I continue to hover around 141. BMI of 22.

Even though my overall month trend was up - I was up 1.2 lbs at the beginning of month - I'm going to count the month as a success for maintenance. And thus will not continue to post on this thread. Even though I think I might lose a few more lbs - this no longer my focus.

I want to thank everyone that has participated on this thread. This thread has been a great lifeline to me the past few months. And your input is invaluable.

Food prep was a success this week - I found a great no-mayo potato salad recipe which I posted here - this was the bulk of a few of my meals this week.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58512

Also enjoyed the fantastic summer fruits - I'm buying 1/2 melons and 1/4 watermelons since my husband does not eat either of these.
It's funny that fruit is limited in MWL. Because I think consciously including fruit has been a big game changer.

Best wishes everyone on your continued journey.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby moonspirit » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:58 pm

Congrats, Vic. :) Thanks for your contributions too.

I think it really depends on the fruit. High-water fruit like watermelon has low calorie density, as do berries and apples. So I don't really sweat any of that stuff. I do avoid dried fruit, mango, oranges, bananas, and juices. But only temporarily, and their pretty far down the list of things I'm worried about.
moonspirit

Postby squealcat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Yay for the August group ! This month has been amazing for me and, I think, the rest of you too ! I read the last few posts and my thoughts are....I need to prep more raw veggies so i have them for snacking between meals. Also, everyone flounders but it is important to keep on keeping on. Floundering is NOT failing ! All of us have important things to add to this group and none of us (especially me ) are perfect.

And Mark, please have no fear in letting us know how you are doing. I don't KNOW you but I feel that I really care about you. My children would tell you that their mom (me) can listen to about anything no matter what and can talk about almost anything. We nurses are like that (even retired ones ). You are in my thoughts and prayers. You need a safe place to "talk" about your health and get support so you can eat as healthfully as you know you can.

-Marilyn (squealcat)
squealcat

Postby amandamechele » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:12 pm

f00die - Great suggestions for Abit. Thanks. I totally missed saying that earlier in the week, so I wanted to be sure I did.

Idgie - I'm glad you were able to get right back on track and have a resulting good loss. :)

Jobet - It sounds like we have very similar tricks for keeping it simple and cheap. I find my favourite greens, especially Swiss chard, are expensive to buy, so next year I hope to grow some. Otherwise I have migrated towards what so many MWL McDougallers do: frozen veggies, whole starches, canned beans and some spices (and salt for me). My mom keeps it even cheaper by purchasing dried beans and making big pots of them in her instant pot. She bought multiple inserts so she can make multiple things with just her 2 instant pots. I'm still a 1-instant-pot, 2-rice-cooker kind of girl because we have both white rice and brown rice eaters in my house. Speaking of my mom has me thinking of your sister. How is she doing?

Lindsey - Congratulations on the loss, and on your consistency with moving towards your goal. You're almost at single digits...woo hoo! Enjoy the long weekend fun and best wishes with your preparations for each of them, the potato salad sounds yummy. (As an aside, I've been spelling your name so many different ways lately because I thought I saw it somewhere. Can you let me know if I've gotten it right?)

Rosey - Keeping on hula-ing towards that goal Miss Rosey! (I was pruning a rose bush today and thought of you). I hope you can figure out what is causing the edema soon and that it is easily treated.

Marilyn - The probability is good that you will see a loss next week with continued diligence (I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, just the same, because I know how it feels to not lose on weeks of good adherence and effort :) ). You are doing great! I know this is a weigh-in group, but this is how I feel when I've had a week like you just did:
(I'm so happy to see you already in the September thread!)

Stephanie - I love your steady and self-loving attitude about this process. Ben's quote in your signature says it all.

Mark - I could type the exact same thing that I did for Stephanie, for you too Mark. You are going through a lot right now, and still find the time to cheer others on and support them. That says a lot about you. :) I imagine you could be like this in life, and it will tide you through whatever the future brings. I know I've said this before, but this is definitely the best way to be eating while you go through all of these tests (and, really, for all time). How was the pot-luck today? What exhibit would you most recommend to someone visiting the NJ State museum? I look forwarding to seeingyou in the September thread.

Moonlight - Congrats to you too. XO. September here we come!

Becca - :o Please, no apologies necessary. That was totally me, I posted early. Great work this week. :)

Vic - It's been lovely and informative having you here. Thank you for the thoughtful posts and sharing your experiences. I especially thank you for letting me know about Dan Ariely's NY Times writing. I've recently bookmarked one of his podcasts, Arming the Donkeys, to start listening to when I find the time. Thanks for the link to the potato salad recipe. Enjoy your fruit!!
amandamechele

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:54 am

squealcat wrote:And Mark, please have no fear in letting us know how you are doing. I don't KNOW you but I feel that I really care about you. My children would tell you that their mom (me) can listen to about anything no matter what and can talk about almost anything. We nurses are like that (even retired ones ). You are in my thoughts and prayers. You need a safe place to "talk" about your health and get support so you can eat as healthfully as you know you can.

-Marilyn (squealcat)

Thanks so much for this, Marilyn. It really means a lot! BTW, my mother is a retired nurse, as well!
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:04 am

Amy - thank you for the kind words! Participating in this group has been SO great, it has really helped me to connect and feel better about my current challenges, and I'm really grateful for that. Literally the best online group in which I have EVER participated. I actually wasn't hungry yet when the picnic happened, so I didn't eat anything! :shock: There were several things I could have had, in addition to what we prepared, although mostly fruit - which I FINALLY have under control, I think. The NJ State Museum has an excellent exhibit on dinosaurs, a really great and unique art collection and a fantastic examination of the lifeways of the Lenape people (the indigenous people of this region). They also usually have an interesting temporary exhibit - right now it is on the propaganda posters of WWI; there are also natural history and cultural history areas and a planetarium. It is free to the public, so a great stop for visitors to the area! (Although maybe I am biased - my wife is the Curator of Education :D )

Thanks again to you and all the group! Looking forward to an excellent and rewarding September.
Mark Cooper

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi!

Thanks Mark and Jobet for your encouraging feedback! :)

Hi Idgie, Not sure where you may have sourced prior dehydrated foods? I tried Harmony House (one of them that Jeff linked to) and was happy with the quality, but did find that it was more delicious if I added some fresh chopped veggies - so kind of a hybrid. I like fresh better, but so happy to start with dehydrated mix and save time... :-D But, I am a "lazy cook"... :D

Mark / Jobet, cool that you saw this dehydrated veggie soup link too and were interested!! You may not need it, but just wanted to post a caution NOT to buy the soup sampler if you do Harmony House (as several contain TVP and so aren't MWL compliant). There are many mixes that are (i.e., Lentil Quinoa, Split Pea, Vegetable Soup). Jeff's post and recipe were about veggie soup and he indicated ordering several different dehydrated veggies and dehydrated lentils. I thought I hit the jackpot with the sampler, but wasn't careful … (so more stuff for Food Pantry - my own fault... ) Doesn't matter - I was so happy to find a "time hack"...

Hi Squealcat, couldn't agree more -- this group is amazing!!! :cool:

Mark, Wishing you the best in health and loved your comment on the museum! Sounds really interesting!! I may have to Google - the WW1 propaganda posters are not familiar to me...

Amy, Thanks for all that you do!!
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program