August 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

August 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:41 pm

Welcome to the August Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi Everyone,

The beginning of a month means different things to different people trying to lose weight:
It's restart day... It's Day 1...It's a new month and time to begin your journey... It's the next month of your current journey... It's a day to gather and prepare for all of the other days that follow.

It is time to begin.

Many of you may be familiar with the phrase: Weight loss is a journey, not a destination. This sentiment has always confused me a little bit because the notion of a destination is built right into the definition of journey (and visa versa), but the intended meaning is good and attempts to point out the flaw in how we typically think about losing weight as an outcome versus a process.

Though imperfect, I consider the analogy of weight loss over time to a journey a good one because each stage just seems to fit. When I have previously decided to lose some weight, I typically choose a starting day and a destination. I have a plan detailing how to get to that destination. I've made preparations. There is excitement about the experience and a little trepidation (sometimes). I envision my weight going from point A to point B. I set a pace, an end date and hope to move onto something new after it is all done.

My weight-loss itinerary could be:

Starting Date: August 1st 2018
Goal: Lose 30 pounds
Plan: Follow McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines
Prep: Fri: Make list and grocery shop. Bake some potatoes.
Sat: Chop all fruits and vegetables and store in reusable containers
Sun: Make 3 stews/soups/chilis (or however many you need for the week)
Mon: Bake more potatoes. Make rice in the rice cooker.
Tues: Smile and begin feeling great!
Weekly Goal: 2 pounds per week
End Date: December 2018
Post Diet Plan: - (typically) A relaxed version of whatever we did to lose weight

:eek: Eeek, so many problems with what I've listed above! LOL. After the prep section, I feel the analogy loses its comparative value in two distinct ways and can cause erroneous thinking on our part. The first is that we think we can control the pace of our weight-loss progress more than we can. We're not built as simply as planes, trains or automobiles, or with the perfect environment to operate within, thus there will be some bumps along the way. It can be a bad idea to set a weekly weight-loss amount goal or a timeframe within which to lose all of the weight. Not meeting these goals can be highly demotivating and they aren't something that you have control over. The second problem occurs as we approach point B, the supposed end of the journey. The destination: your desired weight. Some of you here are nearing this point in time (many of us aren't yet, and that's cool too, we will be one day). The metaphor I used above tries to point out this error through some linguistic gymnastics. It's just a way to say: be aware that the good habits you develop in order to lose weight will continue to be necessary to maintain it. So it is very important to make your post-diet plan to keep doing what you did in order to lose the weight in the first place. As Confucius and Jeff Novick have said:
Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.

Alright, it is time to begin! Best wishes this week on your journey. :P (See the instructions below on how to participate)

Amy XO

PS. Yesterday's dinner:
What's on all of your dinner plates?

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Welcome!

The weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or the Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
Last edited by amandamechele on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Re: August 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 am

Hi everyone!

I just had my third baby in June, and gained a bit more weight than I had planned on. I haven’t weighed myself yet, so Friday I’ll see where I’m at and how far to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I’m in no rush, just looking to stay mindful and focused on health. My goal is to feel confident in a swimsuit next summer.

I gained 44 lbs and measured 43” around at the end of pregnancy. My stomach definitely has a bit of a deflated balloon quality. I have no idea where my weight is at the moment. I’m very petite, and my pre-pregnancy weight was 110, and I had a 27” waist.

I had been following the McDougall diet for over a year when I got pregnant, but had a lot of hiccups and a few pints of Ben & Jerry’s along the way. I’ve been back on track since delivery, and looking forward to what lies ahead.

If you are curious, here is my pregnancy journal: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54096
Or, just skip all that and look at a pic of the baby: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54096&start=150#p584786
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:05 am

Hi there! I would like to join this fabulous group for August. Amy you are a really good writer. I love reading your motivational messages - I lurk this thread a lot! I've stepped in a few times in the past but it didn't stick. I am working to change the way I think about this journey. In the mean time, if you ever write a book I will definitely buy it!!

I have struggled over several years now to get fully on board with the McDougall plan. I have felt hopelessly stuck in the Pleasure Trap. I recently changed doctors and my new doctor tested some things that hadn't been tested before (homocysteine, CRP) and some other things that have (cholesterol, FBG, A1C). My previous doctor ignored cholesterol levels around 200, so I fooled myself into thinking that was OK. I have always been most concerned about my blood sugar numbers because my Dad suffered greatly with diabetes. I realize now I was just fooling myself. Anyway, my total cholesterol now is around 200 and my CRP and homocysteine are high. I am challenging myself to follow McDougall/Essylstyn consistently for 6 months and then see what the numbers say. I am several days into a compliant life - there is no reason I can't do this.

Starting weight for August: 202.

Thank you for your support and for your patience with a serial re-starter!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Chumly » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm starting August at 249.5.

Michael
Chumly

Postby squealcat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Amy : Here I am trying again for the month of August. I love your encouraging words and hope to do well this month. Since I did not participate last month, I will start this week as a 0 (zero ) loss. I wish everyone well as we jump into this journey.

-Marilyn (squealcat )
squealcat

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi Everyone!

I would like to participate in the group this month, I'm really excited about it. I have been a pretty strict follower of the McDougall diet for the last year or so and had a great deal of success. The last few months I have had many challenges in my life, including dealing with ongoing near-constant pain from an athletic injury. I've noticed that I am developing some troubling eating habits - I don't ever eat non-compliant foods, but I have been letting more high-calorie plant foods drift back into my diet and have started to have real issues with overeating/cramming at the end of the day. My weight has started to drift back up and I have felt a little out of control. I think a month of strict MWL will help me to reset and get back on track.

My starting weight (as of last Friday) was 159.8lbs. My goal weight is 150. I've been a lurker on these boards for quite some time and I'm really glad to finally dive-in. All the best to everyone participating, it will be great getting to know you all!
Mark Cooper

Postby Idgie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Or, just skip all that and look at a pic of the baby: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54096&start=150#p584786

I love baby pics, but that didn't go to one for me. :-(

Starting weight on June 10: 330
Weight on July 1: 318.4 (-11.6)
Weight on August 1: 305.4 (-24.6)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Idgie wrote:
Lyndzie wrote:Or, just skip all that and look at a pic of the baby: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54096&start=150#p584786

I love baby pics, but that didn't go to one for me. :-(

Starting weight on June 10: 330
Weight on July 1: 318.4 (-11.6)
Weight on August 1: 305.4 (-24.6)

Well, shoot. When I click on the link, it works for me. Maybe this will work for just the pic: https://flic.kr/p/LydVdd
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby amandamechele » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:49 pm

Lyndzie - Welcome to you and wee Mae. Thank you for joining us and for sharing your journal. I look forward to hearing about how you and she fare as you work towards your summer swimsuit goal. We can help keep each other mindful and focused on health.

Lizzy - Glad to have you here, lurking or posting....but posting is better because then we can chat. :) . Thank you for the kindness, if I ever write a book you will be the second person I notify (my Aunt Laura being the first because she told me the same thing in Grade 6 when I wrote a romance novelette for a class assignment - it was exactly what one would expect from an 11 year old and included French-Canadian rock star Corey Hart...he was so dreamy...LOL).
There is absolutely no reason you can't do this! You know your stuff, so just keep coming back each time you get tripped up. Stick very very close to the guidelines as much as you can, be forgiving of yourself when you don't and get right back to it. I have found that's the best way to close the space between these attempts. Best wishes for the rest of the week, see you Friday! (From one serial re-starter to another, you CAN do this.)

Michael - Glad to have you back for the month of August. :)

Marilyn - Thank you and welcome back. Like I was just saying to Lizzy, this is the way to succeed at the weight loss game. Just keep playing. I wish you well too! XO.

Hi Mark - Welcome to the group. I hope we can help give you the support and accountability to take your McDougalling to the next level. I'm sorry to hear about your troublesome injury. May I ask how it occurred? You may have seen this already, but I'll link it anyway, Dr. Lisle - the staff psychologist - has a lecture that discusses a possible reasons for the pattern of night time eating and how best to break the habit: . The Cram Circuit. I'm so glad you've decided to dive in!

Idgie - Awesome to have you, welcome back for August. Those numbers are inspiring; good on you!
amandamechele

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 am

Hi Amanda - Thanks for the warm welcome. The injury I'm dealing with is posterior tibial tendon dysfunction - it is in my left ankle / leg - haven't had a pain free day since early April. It usually results from either an acute injury or overuse - I'm pretty sure I got mine from too much hard surface running in shoes without adequate support - I guess I have a tendency to push myself a little too hard in the exercise arena sometimes. I've been doing physical therapy, and it is slowly improving, but nowhere near pain free yet. I have SO MUCH empathy now for people who suffer from chronic pain - even though the pain I'm dealing with is not too intense, the fact that it is so unrelenting really grinds you down after a few weeks. Thanks for the link to Dr. Lisle's lecture!

Lyndzie - That baby is absolutely beautiful!
Mark Cooper

Postby Idgie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:43 am

Lyndzie: Oh, my gosh, super adorable!!

Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
Idgie

Postby Addicttofood » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:20 pm

I am starting right away. At least, it gives me a chance to weigh myself once a week since many people have stated that you should not weigh yourself.
Addicttofood

Postby Idgie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 pm

I weigh myself daily. It keeps me on track.
Idgie, Southern CA
Idgie

Postby JeffN » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:06 pm

On the issue of weighing....

To Weigh or not To Weight

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57741

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Idgie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Totally agree. That is, 1x per week is probably optimal for most people, but if something else keeps you compliant, then do that.

Fortunately, if the scale goes up, it doesn't make me sad or want to quit, it just makes me want to have a more compliant day. I also love looking at my daily weight graph, because it shows that there are LOTS of up days in a trend that shows 26 pounds lost in under 7 weeks.

Idgie, Southern CA
Idgie

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program