Will the joy return?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Will the joy return?

Postby verde » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:35 am

JackyE wrote:True. I have tried a crummy potato. (Is that the correct word? Or is it crumbly? :? ) And that tasted a lot beter. Carrot of some other root might help too. Good idea, I will try.

Actually if you google "starchy vs waxy potatoes", you'll see there two main categories of potatoes for different uses, and you'll see which varieties fit into which category...once you're shopping, read the labels on the potatoes bags and search for the name of the variety in it. Then grab your mobile, and assuming you have internet on it, Google the name of that variety and see what comes up in its description in terms of taste and uses. Buy the bags that fit your needs.
I started doing this in 2014, and now I pretty much know a lot of varieties and their uses/flavors...now it's easy to go shopping and know exactly what I'm bringing home with me...as opposed to the "let's hope this is good" technique.
...but then again, that's the scientist in me speaking! :D
verde

Postby JackyE » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 am

Seems that you have made a complete study of potatoes. :-D In Holland, in general we have 'Bintje', which is a starchy potato, and 'Nicola' which is the waxy one. Any other potato is advertised as very exclusive and exotic, with exclusive and exotic prizes. So I have started to experiment with these. Just made some fatfree potatochips in the microwave, but it wasn't a success. Maybe I will wait for your essay to be published. ;-)
JackyE

Postby JackyE » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:18 am

Thank you for sharing your experience, Doing_Dirt.

So funny that you mention it. Because I couldn't let go of the great taste of junkfood, I made a decision for my meself, that every now and than, I can have one of my two favoured flavours I refused to give up. Salty caramel and strong blue cheese. So yesterday evening we had a little bit of Stilton, a very strong cheese I adored. And when I took the first bite, it tasted disgusting! I asked my husband if the cheese had gone bad. But he said it was a really good peace of Stilton. So... no more blue cheese fo me. That only leaves the salty caramel. I wonder when that will taste way to sweet for me.

On the other hand, when I walked through the city yesterday, I felt the energy in my body, didn't get tired when I walking up a high bridge or ran for the bus. It makes me so happy.
JackyE

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:21 am

JackyE, I am right there with you on the stinky blue cheese. It’s been the hardest bad habit for me to break. You’ve made great progress moving through that so quickly!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby JackyE » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:49 pm

Thanx Lyndzie, Most children hate the taste of blue cheese. Maybe we should listen to them.

@Doing_Dirt. Pus? Seriously? I missed that one. Soooo, you just gave me that last push to never ever eat cheese again.
JackyE

Postby DeborahAnn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:31 am

If you don't think you are going to succeed, then you won't.
DeborahAnn

Postby determined2bhealthy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:55 am

I'm so thankful for this entire thread.

:)
determined2bhealthy

Postby abit » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:33 am

Last edited by abit on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abit

Postby JackyE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:01 am

abit wrote:It has been about two months since your question.

How are you doing ?
'

Thank you Abit for your interest. I'm doing okay. I have found a way for myself to have a nice breakfast and a tasteful diner, and I can really enjoy them. Only lunches are more difficult sometimes. During summer, I enjoyed a quick salad. But now that it is getting colder I don't like green veggies from the fridge. I want to have something warmer. Everybody around me eats bread, which is simple fast food. I'm now saving soups and in the freezer, but it not a joyful lunch yet. Then again, it's just all part of the journey. I will find my way. Weight is going slow, maybe a pound a month, but it is going down.

Any quick lunchtips for me, perhaps?
JackyE

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:19 am

Maybe a microwaved potato for lunch, topped with salsa? Or, rice and a bag of frozen broccoli (which is what I had for breakfast)?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby JackyE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:55 am

Sounds delicious Lyndzie. And easy to make.
JackyE

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:34 am

I've been really grooving on taking cooked potatoes or sweet potatoes for lunch lately. I cook up a bunch of them on the weekend, and then take them to work and eat them cold or hot depending on my mood. On the side, I usually have some kind of slaw or salad, but I like them enough that plain is also fine.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby JackyE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:22 am

Idgie, do you use white or red potatoes? In Holland we have sweet potatoes in both red and white, but they are more expensive. White potatoes don't seem to fill me enough.
JackyE

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:53 pm

I tend to use whatever looks best/cheapest in the grocery store. Last weekend, I found a 10 pound bag of garnet sweet potatoes (the orange fleshed ones) for less than USD$7, so I bought a bag, and that's what I've been eating non-stop ever since. Maybe I should've gotten TWO bags! :-D
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby JackyE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:58 pm

You inspired me to have a sweet potato week. And that also gives me a reason to finally try a salsa recipe.
JackyE

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program