Jeff on Raw Salads

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jeff on Raw Salads

Postby Jobet » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:11 am

A few thoughts....

Salads, especially raw salads, are not required for success on MWL. Adding vegetables (raw, cooked, and/or as soup, etc) does lower the overall calorie density of a meal so are a part to the MWL program. However, when we look at the research on this, the form of vegetables that lowered overall calorie density the most and was the most filling, was vegetable soup.

Salads can be very time consuming (and expensive), which are often key issues for many. All the time and energy (and $$) often expended are not only not necessary, it may not the best way to incorporate veggies in regard to MWL.

In Health
Jeff

This was in another thread, but I thought it deserved it's own, in case others like me, had at one time believed lots of raw salads are required for success on MWL and health in general.

I came to McDougall by way of months of eating raw foods only, then studying Dr Fuhrman's books and videos as well as Chef AJ. I got into the habit of eating tons of raw salads. (I'm not blaming anyone mentioned for that, it's just the way my brain interpreted what I was reading/watching.) I like salad a lot, but prep was extremely time consuming and very expensive on my limited budget.

Somewhere along the way I picked up the myth that I could never lose weight, or be healthy, unless I ate tons of raw salads daily.

I'm so thankful now, for finding this forum and myth-busters like Jeff. Now I eat very simply, not expensively at all, and I'm feeling so much better, have more time to do the things I want rather than spending hours in food prep. :)
Last edited by Jobet on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Re: Jeff on Raw Salads

Postby debknott » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:19 am

Jobet,

I'm so glad you wrote this. I don't like making salads either, and was feeling guilty that I didn't make more. I much prefer the veggies in other dishes, especially soup. Now I feel better. Yay for soup!

Deborah
debknott

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:42 am

When I saw Jeff's post I wanted to highlight this more too Jobet! (I hope you're doing well, btw). :)

I'm going to talk about it in the MWL thread later tonight when I do the tally....if you have a favourite soup recipe let me know!

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Jobet » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:06 pm

debknott wrote:Jobet,

I'm so glad you wrote this. I don't like making salads either, and was feeling guilty that I didn't make more. I much prefer the veggies in other dishes, especially soup. Now I feel better. Yay for soup!

Deborah

Super, Deborah. I know, this info was a life saver for me.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Hiiiii Amy!

I'm doing great and hope you are as well.

I picked up on the truth about salad along the way from this forum and haven't been trying to swallow two pounds first thing each day as I once did! So, when I saw Jeff sharing about it, I just had to repost, as it was very liberating for me when I learned it.

Amy, I'm looking forward to whatever you share about it too. :)

I eat raw vegetables daily, but just not in huge salads as I used to. I shred a few days worth of carrots, red cabbage, onion and other veggies and keep them in the fridge to toss into grain dishes like quinoa, millet, etc. Or, I'll make Jane Esselstyn's bean sauce and use it as a dip with cut up carrots, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower (one vegetable or a combo of a couple if I have them on hand). Much more fun than a salad, and more filling. The dip is also good smeared on romaine lettuce leaves then add Mary McDougall's slow-cooked mashed pintos (can you smell them, I have a new batch cooking now?) and some salsa. The sauce/dip recipe is here (I don't do the walnut sauce, I use the bean only.) https://youtu.be/mkrecftGdjs

I honestly cook with very few recipes. I just make up a soup out of whatever I have on hand. One thing I do often, for convenience and which is inexpensive, is make a stew from a can of corn, can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, and a can of beans. I add chili powder, garlic powder and other spices that I like, add water to make it more of a soup than a stew. I simply heat it through, sometimes throwing in a handful or so of fresh spinach or kale and simmering for a few minutes longer. I love it over baked sweet potato, baked winter squash, quinoa, and other starches or as a soup on the side.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby verde » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Oh my goodness, thank you guys for highlighting this and thank you Jeff for pointing it out!
What a great relief! Salads are indeed too expensive for me and I felt bad for not being part of the salad munching gang! What a relief! What's funny is that in fact, I eat frozen veggies daily(cheap because I'm on a very tight budget), and I eat soup everyday before my meals, be it winter, autumn, spring or summer! The ingredients change, the soup stays.
I thought it wasn't as good as having a large salad like CHEF AJ, but it's not just expensive, it is also harder for me to digest and a source of bloating and gas. I'm relieved to know that after all, I'm still doing great with my option!

Thank you guys!
verde

Postby JeffN » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks Jobet for sharing my comments and for everyone’s posts.

The McDougall Program has a 40 year history of success. The message here is clear and has barely changed in 40 years.

While we respect them and share some commonalities, this is not the Greger, Barnard, PCRM, Fuhrman, Esselstyn, E2, TrueNorth, Kahn, Pritikin, Kempner, Ornish or any other WFPB program.

The best way to understand the medical component of the McDougall Program is to ask Dr McDougall or read his writings here.

The best way to understand the nutrition component of the McDougall Program is to ask me and read my writings in my forum.

The best way to understand the psychological component of the McDougall Program is to ask Dr Lisle or watch his videos.

None of us have ever recommended a high vegetable or high raw vegetable diet and have cautioned against it. It is not recommended or served at the program.

While others may say they are teaching the McDougall Program, or their recommendations are based on it, the best way to know for sure, is to come here and see what we actually recommend.

The McDougall Program, as taught here, is simple, inexpensive, easy, time tested, proven and works. The best way to begin is to go to the How To Being forum and read the the 6 Stickies on How To Begin. :)

If it is not working for you or you have a question, ask us by posting it in my forum, or in the MWL forum, or ask a moderator or a star McDougaller.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby geo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Thanks Jeff for making this so clear.

The McDougall program is not about salads or soups or leafy greens or beans or nuts/seeds or salt/sugar restriction or any other singular food. Its simply a low fat, starch based diet with the addition of green and yellow veggies and fruit where the food is generally minimally processed.

You don't have to eat beans, you don't have to eat grains/gluten, you dont have to eat white potatoes or brown rice or any other specific food.

You just have to eat till your comfortably full of whatever compliant foods you like within the guidlines (and thats a heck of a lot of variety).

In my journey I rarely ate salads/soups (outside the home I did eat them as a lot of times they were some of the only compliant foods available) and the same goes for beans and since I was doing the MWL I didn't eat breads and such either. Trust me I'm no worse off not eating those things. There was just so much else to eat and chose from that variety was never a problem, nor was getting enough calories or protein or fiber or micro/macro/phyto- nutrients. Never had to consider or worry about any of that. I just ate and followed the Program guidelines (though probably posted way too much to JeffN lol).

The program works... simply and easily... keep it that way and you suceed... try to change it and well...you'll be asking a lot of questions :-)
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:01 pm

JeffN wrote:The McDougall Program has a 40 year history of success...

In Health
Jeff

This post is the single most important post outside of the direct information on the details and how to of the McDougall Program and that is saying a lot given all of Jeff's posts. So many people on these forums, newbs and veterans alike, do not understand this post and are negatively influencing others on these forums by interjecting their own advice and that of other programs. Yet, the PROVEN track record of the McDougall Program is what matters.

Every day I read these forums and shake my head disheartened to see people NOT following the McDougall Program but claim they are. No, you are NOT. If you were, you would have the healthy results over time; Time and consistency matter. The journals, especially, make me sad for people as while I understand most people have other issues to work through (social pressure, habits, tradition, religion, etc) to be able to fully make and implement the changes, so many people are okay with making excuses instead of implementing the tools for success that have ALL been outlined here for free on this website. Not every person has the personality to make the change overnight and just do this program, but everyone has the personality and power to do so in a timely manner. Yet, so many do not and we continue to see the same lack of progress or even regressions.

I encourage everyone to follow the guidelines here. I would never expect perfection as that is not attainable. But, on the opposite spectrum, making the same mistakes over and over and not learning from them or correcting them is not only counter-productive for that person, but also for many others on these forums who are looking for excuses and reasons to not become compliant and yet expecting typical health outcomes of those who do follow the program strictly.

I'm not meaning to come off as harsh. No, my intention is to encourage members, old and new, to follow Dr. McDougall and Jeff's program as outlined, heed Jeff's post above and go get the health you deserve. If you do not follow this program, do not expect the great results. And if you say you are, but still are not healthy after time and consistency, then realize you are not following the program; be honest with yourself, re-read the information for this program and this program only (yes, disregard the other programs and "doctors in the movement") and make the changes. Repeating the same mistakes will not change the outcome. However, following the program and being successful is not only beneficial to you but is even more so for the others it will positively change. That is the type of synergy needed to really make a change on a global scale that is needed to save the planet and all species.

Respectively,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Jobet » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:18 am

Thank you sooooo much Jeff, geo, and Scott for further wisdom and info!

The bottom line:

The McDougall Program, as taught here, is simple, inexpensive, easy, time tested, proven and works.

Yes! Yes! Yes!
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby SamM » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:14 am

Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I am really new to this woe and joined some Facebook sites looking for support. I ended up so confused by so much of the information and so much 'advice' that seemed to contrary to what I understood of the McDowall program that I was thinking that I must have got the whole thing wrong. Now I am inspired again. The best thing is, I LOVE potatoes and I really have to TRY HARD to like salad, so I am so happy that I can go back to eating potatoes and my frozen veg and soup in cold weather and be compliant. Thank you one and all.
SamM

Postby Jobet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 am

SamM wrote:Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I am really new to this woe and joined some Facebook sites looking for support. I ended up so confused by so much of the information and so much 'advice' that seemed to contrary to what I understood of the McDowall program that I was thinking that I must have got the whole thing wrong. Now I am inspired again. The best thing is, I LOVE potatoes and I really have to TRY HARD to like salad, so I am so happy that I can go back to eating potatoes and my frozen veg and soup in cold weather and be compliant. Thank you one and all.

Hi Sam,

I know exactly what you mean. I too belonged to some of the Facebook groups at first looking for support and ended up confused and frustrated. So, I left them all. I now frequent this site, especially here in the forum. I've found it very supportive, helpful, and full of life changing information.

Amy just posted a link to Jeff's recipes on FB, in the weigh-in thread. You might like to take a look at his page for further inspiration: https://www.facebook.com/pg/JeffNovickRD/photos/?tab=album&album_id=204432390124
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Thank you all for the post! It’s been a great read.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Chumly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 am

I find I naturally desire more raw fruits and vegetables in the summer. When it's hot I just don't like soups and other hot foods as much. I love making "green tacos" in the summer. I usually use leaves of romaine or similar shaped lettuce and stuff it with the McDougall sweet pea guacamole and sometimes cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers or whatever vegetables I have and eat it like a taco. It's much simpler than preparing a salad and quite tasty!

Michael
Chumly

Postby Jobet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 am

Chumly wrote:I love making "green tacos" in the summer. I usually use leaves of romaine or similar shaped lettuce and stuff it with the McDougall sweet pea guacamole and sometimes cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers or whatever vegetables I have and eat it like a taco. It's much simpler than preparing a salad and quite tasty!

Michael

Thanks for sharing your recipe, Michael. That sounds delicious. I'll have to look up the sweet pea guac as I'm not familiar with it. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program