July 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

July 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Welcome to the July Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!!

This weekend is a celebratory one for many North Americans. We've got Canada Day on July 1st and Independence Day on July 4th. (Admittedly that is the extent of my knowledge on civic holidays occurring this week, if I've not mentioned yours, please chime in and let us know!)

Most of us celebrate by gathering and eating with friends and family. This can put us in tricky or tempting situations when we're trying to continue to adhere to our MWL program and enjoy social time. What's a person to do?
I'm pretty sure we all know the answer, but I'll say it anyway. Be Prepared!
1) Make compliance decisions before attending any events (and not when hungry). Decide what level of adherence will keep you moving towards your goal and keep you out of any traps (pleasure or ego related). This will be different for everyone and only you can decide what is best for you.
2) Eat before attending an event. The thought is that if you fill up on rice, potatoes, veggies, beans and fruit beforehand you will not be quite as tempted when faced with less healthy party-food choices. When you combine this with your set intention from step one, above, you are strengthening the likelihood that you will be successful in that intention.
3) Bring foods to share. If you actually want to eat with your loved ones then this is a fabulous strategy to showcase how delicious your healthy dishes are. Not everyone will think so, so be prepared to let any negativity towards being a bit different just flow away from you, like water off a duck's back. You will, also, undoubtedly, get some very positive comments from those that enjoyed trying something new. This can open up dialogue about why you choose to eat this way, if you feel so inclined to talk about it.

What do you all do to get through holidays? Do you keep get-togethers to a minimum? Do you explain your situation to your hosts beforehand? Do you just wing it, and hope for the best?

I have a few favourite recipes for summer BBQ get-togethers, as do the McDougalls.
This week, I received an email, From the McDougall Kitchen: 4th of July Recipes, with one of my favourites - baked beans. Other favourites are Jeff's burgers, Summer Watermelon Salad, a hybrid of Dilled Potato Salad and German Potato Salad) (hold the radishes! Blech!), and if you're really feeling daring Carrot Dogs!!.

When searching the McDougall Recipe page I got 19 choices of burgers, 17 different potato salad recipes, and too many salads to count.

There are so many ways to make healthy choices to get through the BBQ season. Experiment and find your favourites, find your family's favourites and make them often!

I look forward to spending the summer with everyone! See you next Friday for the weigh-in.

Amy :)

Take a look at this fabulous meal, from Jeff Novick:

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Welcome!

The weekly weigh-in group is for those wanting to following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or the Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
Last edited by amandamechele on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Re: July 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Vintagesan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:45 am

Hi there,

I'd like to take part for July and since this is my first time I hope I do everything right for this thread. :)
I was doing some kind of MWL and the regular programme but wasn't so successful and even gained weight. Now I'd like to try out doing only MWL for a month.

My start weight is 220 lbs (99,8 kg).
Vintagesan

Postby Idgie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:18 am

I'm going to start MWL today. I've been doing the basic program since June 22nd.

Starting weight today: 318.4
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:21 am

Hi to Vintagesan and Idgie! Best wishes for success on this great program! You have found the best thread on the boards!!! :-D

Hi Amy, Can you get us all invited over for that delicious and compliant holiday meal?? :-D Looks fabulous!!!

Wishing everyone great success in July!!!

Stephanie

(Edited on request as non-MWL exceptions were noted. Will be continuing my journey in the Journal section.)
Last edited by VegSeekingFit on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Idgie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:33 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:NOTE THAT THESE EXCEPTIONS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED BY DR. MCDOUGALL. I am just stating them for the sake of transparency. They may result in slowed weight loss and are future opportunities to "clean up" my diet. I do believe that Dr. McDougall wouldn't disapprove, as he has outlined in MWL for the reader to acknowledge what they are willing to do at this time (i.e., "half-hearted" vs. "all in")...

The way I look at it, we're all adults, and any diet we follow is just a recommendation, since we get to decide what goes in our mouths. Dr. McDougall is my advisor, not my mom. :-D
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
Idgie

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:39 am

Idgie wrote:
VegSeekingFit wrote:NOTE THAT THESE EXCEPTIONS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED BY DR. MCDOUGALL. I am just stating them for the sake of transparency. They may result in slowed weight loss and are future opportunities to "clean up" my diet. I do believe that Dr. McDougall wouldn't disapprove, as he has outlined in MWL for the reader to acknowledge what they are willing to do at this time (i.e., "half-hearted" vs. "all in")...

The way I look at it, we're all adults, and any diet we follow is just a recommendation, since we get to decide what goes in our mouths. Dr. McDougall is my advisor, not my mom. :-D

That may be true, but we set up these boards for support for those wanting to follow the McDougall Program.

This specific forum and this specific monthly weigh-in thread is for those wanting to follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program (and Mary’s Mini). This way, it is not confusing to those wanting support in following these specific programs.

For those wanting to follow the regular McDougall Program or their own variations of the McDougall Program, they are welcome to keep a journal in the journal section.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Idgie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 am

Makes sense to me. Thanks, Jeff!
Idgie, Southern CA
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:10 am

JeffN wrote:For those wanting to follow the regular McDougall Program or their own variations of the McDougall Program, they are welcome to keep a journal in the journal section.

In Health
Jeff

Got it, Jeff.

Please accept my apologies for any confusion or misposting.

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:19 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:
JeffN wrote:For those wanting to follow the regular McDougall Program or their own variations of the McDougall Program, they are welcome to keep a journal in the journal section.

In Health
Jeff

Got it, Jeff.

Please accept my apologies for any confusion or misposting.

Best,
Stephanie

No problem.

Part of the confusion is my fault. I have been meaning to update the guidelines for this thread and didnt realize it was already July.

As this is the MWL forum, I want to keep the focus of the monthly MWL weigh-in thread on the MWL guidelines (and/or Mary’s Mini) to avoid confusion for those trying to follow the MWL program to lose weight.

Thanks

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Rosey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:28 am

Wow already July craziness. This year is flying by.
Rosey

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi Vintagesan, Idgie, Stephanie, and Rosey,

Vintagesan - Welcome!

Stephanie - I'll work on getting us that invite...ha. :)

Idgie - Exactly. :nod:

Rosey - I can't believe it's July already either.

Everyone - I say we challenge ourselves this month to do our best work! Come on July...bring it!!

For anyone following the 2018 FIFA World Cup - my favourite team Brazil is still in it! Woot woot. Now we're watching to see if Belgium or Japan makes it through!
amandamechele

Postby Joobanachik » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I've done McDougall in the past; but would like to start again. I've been doing Forks Over Knives on occasion recently. I'm also new to forums. Does 'posting' mean replying? Sorry for my lack of online prowess. :)
When I weigh in this Friday, do I do the 'post a reply' again?
Thanks, and glad to be part of this group!
Joobanachik

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Joobanachik wrote:Hi, I'm new here. I've done McDougall in the past; but would like to start again. I've been doing Forks Over Knives on occasion recently. I'm also new to forums. Does 'posting' mean replying? Sorry for my lack of online prowess. :)
When I weigh in this Friday, do I do the 'post a reply' again?
Thanks, and glad to be part of this group!

Hi Joobanachik,

Welcome to the group. This Friday, yes, just hit Post a Reply and let us know how you did for the week, with as little or as many details as you'd like to share.

I've been on this forum for a few years now and am still learning new tricks for posting!

Best wishes,

Amy :)
amandamechele

Postby landog » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:19 pm

amandamechele wrote:...and if you're really feeling daring Carrot Dogs!!.

Challenge accepted! this dog is going for the dogs!

Thanks, Amy!
landog

Postby moonlight » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:29 am

Hi Everyone,

I recently read something in a thread by JeffN that I wanted to share with our group. Jeff meantions something called the 'plate test', which he outlines. I think it is a succienct description of the value of this diet. Here is the link to the original posting: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21177

JeffN wrote: But what is more important and what I feel to be the most important test, is what I call the "plate test." Very few people know about it yet it is one of the most effective tests and simple and easy to do and very inexpensive. You can even do it at home.

Here is how you do it.

When you sit down to eat each meal, look at your "plate" and see if it passes this "test", the "Plate Test."

Are at least 95% of the calories on your plate coming from unrefined unprocessed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and/or legumes? Are there at least 12-15 grams of fiber coming from whole natural foods? Does it meet my guidelines for sodium? Are any "exceptions" being kept to less than 5% of calories?

If your meal passes this "Plate Test", then I think that is the most effective test you can ever have done and the best indicator of your future health and longevity.
moonlight

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program