Please Help A Commuter!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Please Help A Commuter!

Postby SarahJay0809 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Hello all!

This is my first post, so I apologize if I'm doing something incorrectly.

I have been following MWL based on the book/YouTube videos for 9 days straight now (although I have been doing it on and off for a year). I am trying to stick to it this time, and have completely eliminated all vegan junk food temptations.

My big problem is that my commute one way is nearly two hours long, and I never know how much food to bring with me. Today, for example, I brought a salad that was one full bag of organic spinach from Trader Joes, one large yellow carrot, and a bunch of cabbage. I also brought one medium/large potato and two small ones (red potatoes). This was my first food and i ate it around noon. I then went for a walk for my lunch break and purchased two cartons of strawberries from whole foods and ate half of one carton, and then had an apple that my work supplied. Despite the sheer volume of food, at 5pm I was starving again.

I typically go to a Martial Arts class after work at 6:45pm, and then commute home (I arrive home at 9:30pm). We have a rice cooker in our apartment and typically cook 4-6 cups (dry) of brown rice at a time. When I get home tonight, I know I will eat a bowl (the size of the ones you typically get in a plate/bowl/mug set) of brown rice topped with Chef AJs red lentil chili. I feel like I would eat this regardless of whether or not I had eaten another potato (or three!) during the day. I know this is an "eat as much as you need until satisfied" diet, but with rice that could easily be 3 of those bowls!

We have a fridge, a microwave and a toaster at work. Is anyone else out of the home from 7am to ~10pm like I am? How much food should I safely be bringing with me so that it is still okay to have my big bowl of brown rice at night?

Thank you very much everyone!

PS: If anyone has recommendations for a large insulated tote for travel - I typically put my food in a Whole Foods or Trader Joes bag. Thank you!
SarahJay0809

Re: Please Help A Commuter!

Postby landog » Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm not out of the house for that long during the day, but I have an observation.
I would say that perhaps you might need to up the starch during the day. You had 3 potatoes by 5 pm, and you were "starving." Since you have a refrigerator and a microwave at work, bring more potatoes to work and eat!

Don't fear the starch...
landog

Postby SarahJay0809 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:30 am

landog wrote:I'm not out of the house for that long during the day, but I have an observation.
I would say that perhaps you might need to up the starch during the day. You had 3 potatoes by 5 pm, and you were "starving." Since you have a refrigerator and a microwave at work, bring more potatoes to work and eat!

Don't fear the starch...

Do you know how many I should have? For reference, I am female, 26, five foot and 176 pounds, down from 280.
SarahJay0809

Postby Vegankit » Thu May 24, 2018 6:11 am

I agree with Landog - you need more starches. If you have space at work, you could keep an emergency supply of starches for those times when you are still hungry. Canned beans, potatoes (kept in the dark room temperature), heat-to-eat rice/quinoa bowls etc. can all be cooked in a microwave then added to salads and other veggies that you bring fresh daily from home.

Remember this is a starch based diet for satiety and health. The goal is not to be hungry but eat until you are comfortable. It's easier to stick with this way of eating when you know you can eat something if you're hungry, especially given your long commute and active lifestyle.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Plumerias » Thu May 24, 2018 7:57 am

A few questions and/or observations.............

How do you commute? As in, are you driving for two hours each way, or on some kind of public transportation?

You're going all day long on rather minimal starch/food and then eating a huge meal what seems to be shortly before bed. Is there any reason why you can't better balance your meals and eat lighter before bed? I ask this in part because if I waited all day to eat my major meal and then went to bed shortly thereafter, I wouldn't sleep well. Plus I'd likely be a very unpleasant person, as I'm cranky when hungry or improperly fueled. I need more of my calories much earlier in the day.

Eat some breakfast please. If you're out the door at 7 am and aren't eating until noon, no wonder you're hungry, you're playing catch up. It doesn't have be anything heavy. I like sweet potatoes, banana or pineapple, and tamarind chutney sometimes.

It's coming up on (or is) summer time in the northern hemisphere. Go someplace where they sell picnic coolers and see what there is available. If you drive, you have the space for a decent sized cooler, which can stay in the car. If you don't, find something smaller, more portable to use. We (DH and I) can travel by air and be well fed on the contents of two soft sided coolers, the size that fits six twelve ounce soft drink cans, and a few things that don't need to be kept cool. You can also look for the small ones where they stock the back to school items, as in children's sized lunchbox coolers.

Remember that last night's leftovers work perfectly well for today's lunch, reheated in that office microwave. There's also nothing wrong with cold salads. Remember that salads don't just mean spinach, a carrot, and some cabbage.

For some ideas, when you have time (?!), do a search here for some of the travel and travel by air threads, of which there are many. That will give you some other ideas.

One last thought, it takes time to understand what works well for you. So don't be afraid to experiment. Just always remember to do as dog and Vegankit suggest, keep some shelf stable back up items in your desk to keep you on plan.

Good luck.
Plumerias

Postby SarahJay0809 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 am

Plumerias wrote:A few questions and/or observations.............

How do you commute? As in, are you driving for two hours each way, or on some kind of public transportation?

You're going all day long on rather minimal starch/food and then eating a huge meal what seems to be shortly before bed. Is there any reason why you can't better balance your meals and eat lighter before bed? I ask this in part because if I waited all day to eat my major meal and then went to bed shortly thereafter, I wouldn't sleep well. Plus I'd likely be a very unpleasant person, as I'm cranky when hungry or improperly fueled. I need more of my calories much earlier in the day.

Eat some breakfast please. If you're out the door at 7 am and aren't eating until noon, no wonder you're hungry, you're playing catch up. It doesn't have be anything heavy. I like sweet potatoes, banana or pineapple, and tamarind chutney sometimes.

It's coming up on (or is) summer time in the northern hemisphere. Go someplace where they sell picnic coolers and see what there is available. If you drive, you have the space for a decent sized cooler, which can stay in the car. If you don't, find something smaller, more portable to use. We (DH and I) can travel by air and be well fed on the contents of two soft sided coolers, the size that fits six twelve ounce soft drink cans, and a few things that don't need to be kept cool. You can also look for the small ones where they stock the back to school items, as in children's sized lunchbox coolers.

Remember that last night's leftovers work perfectly well for today's lunch, reheated in that office microwave. There's also nothing wrong with cold salads. Remember that salads don't just mean spinach, a carrot, and some cabbage.

For some ideas, when you have time (?!), do a search here for some of the travel and travel by air threads, of which there are many. That will give you some other ideas.

One last thought, it takes time to understand what works well for you. So don't be afraid to experiment. Just always remember to do as dog and Vegankit suggest, keep some shelf stable back up items in your desk to keep you on plan.

Good luck.

1. I walk half a mile to the train, take that to a boat, then take a subway to a ~10 minute walk from work. I carry my purse, the big Trader Joes bag I carry my food in, and my stuffed duffel bag with my martial arts stuff in it. This is also my commute home.

2. The reason I wait to eat my large meal at dinner is because my problem with the CICO diet was I'd eat my nice vegan bento meals at work (tofu, trader joes fried rice, veggies and fruit), have small snacks throughout the day, get home and not be hungry...but feel the urge to finally sit down and eat. Being able to sit down to a big bowl of rice before bed is highly emotionally satisfying to me. I've always loved rice, so it feels like a "reward" for a hard days work. I work a high stress office job, so there's not a lot of time to eat throughout the day as well.

3. My boyfriend and I are both vegans, and he is a firm believer in combining the McDougall method with Intermittent Fasting. I have noticed when trying this in the past, it would take 2-3 cups of steel cut oats for breakfast (that's a lot of calories!) to satisfy me, but then I'd just be hungry again before lunch...so for me..it's like..why not just be a little hungry until lunch, instead of stuff myself in the morning, feel sleepy, then just be hungry again at lunch?

4. I saw in some Chef AJ videos that she has purses that double as coolers. I am trying to find something like that to replace both my current purse and the trader joes bag I carry.

5. Really I just want to know how much food I should be eating to lose weight as a 5'0" girl. I don't want to eat too much, but I am always feeling hungry. For the record, I typically walk at least 45 minutes of my hour long lunch (this is usually to Whole Foods downtown) and back, then after work I have an hour long Martial Arts class, and on the weekend I ride my bike/go on long walks with my dog. I used to run in the morning, but I wasn't getting enough sleep...I still don't get enough sleep =[

If someone can lower NYC rent for me so I can live closer to work, that would be <3 <3 haha
SarahJay0809

Postby amandamechele » Sat May 26, 2018 9:41 pm

SarahJay0809 wrote:
landog wrote:I'm not out of the house for that long during the day, but I have an observation.

Don't fear the starch...

Do you know how many I should have? For reference, I am female, 26, five foot and 176 pounds, down from 280.

Congratulations on you great efforts and success so far! You've done amazing. :)
(I don't have any suggestions that would differ from what the others are saying. I just wanted to say Hi!)
amandamechele

Postby SarahJay0809 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:30 am

amandamechele wrote:
SarahJay0809 wrote:

Don't fear the starch...

Congratulations on you great efforts and success so far! You've done amazing. :)
(I don't have any suggestions that would differ from what the others are saying. I just wanted to say Hi!)

Thank you! Today I've packed four potatoes, a huge salad of spinach and snap peas, and an apple. Hopefully that is enough for the day until I get home.
SarahJay0809

Postby viv » Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 pm

I think you can add more potatoes. 4 potatoes, veggies and a an apple is only about 600 calories, which I doubt is enough to see you through until 9pm. Potatoes are the key to health and weight loss so make sure you eat enough. If you are hungry take another potato to work tomorrow!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby frozenveg » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:41 am

Hey SarahJane, just checking in to see how you are doing! Are you making progress? Have you solved your daytime hunger issue?
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program