Stuck for months

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stuck for months

Postby Davy Jones » Thu May 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Hey peeps, I started the whole WFPB thing this past November. I lost about 30 pounds over the first couple months & then hit a brick wall. I've been reading article after article to try & gain some insight. They pretty much all have the same messages. "Trying to lose that last few pounds?" "Cut out the oil." "Cut out the nuts, seeds & avocados." "Don't eat out so much." "Stop eating processed food." Blah, blah, blah.
I am not trying to lose that last few pounds. I'm trying to lose that last 120 pounds. I don't eat nuts, seeds, oil, avocados, etc. I don't eat out. I don't eat processed food.
Finally, in an act of pure frustration, I started tracking my food about 3 weeks ago. My daily average intake is 1697 calories. 77% carbs, 11% fat, & 12% protein. The bulk of those calories are potatoes, oats, brown rice & black beans. All beans & grains are cooked from dry, so I have full control over salt intake. Potatoes are fresh only. If I were overdoing the beans, my protein percentage would be much higher. I weigh or otherwise measure everything I eat, so the numbers are dead accurate. My basal metabolic rate should be 2198 calories per day, which doesn't include any activity, or even being awake. The math doesn't add up. This has happened every time I've ever tried to lose weight. I can't afford the privilege of paying some overpriced, for profit doctor to tell me to eat less. What should I do next? This is insane!
Davy Jones

Re: Stuck for months

Postby landog » Thu May 03, 2018 7:22 pm

You have to change something, or else you will stay stuck. Are you following MWL? More potatoes? Maybe add exercise?

If I were in your shoes...

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Consultations.html
landog

Postby earthwalker7 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Hey all,

No absolutely Starch Solution has NOT been working for me.

In terms of my weight gain - it has been dramatic.
I'm like the 'before' and 'after' pictures of a vegan diet, but in reverse.

i have been making starch the basis of the meal, along with veggies.

This week I have been adding curry powder to a water-based stir-fry of veggies, accompanied by steamed potatoes and sweet potatoes.
I never use any oil, salt or sugar.

I'm including pictures as well, so that you can understand the quantity.

Quantity is a problem - but it's not so simple as to say that I should reduce quantity, when satiety is so difficult.
I'm trying to use intermittent fasting and am trying to push my first meal as far down into the day as possible
But it is very difficult because once I start eating, I cannot stop.

13-Jun
[fasted until 4 pm]
[4pm lunch]
boiled yellow potatoes
sweet potatoes
boiled veggies in curry (no oil)
green apple
[9pm dinner]
vinegar + garlic
sweet potatoes

14-Jun
[fasted until 9pm]
[9pm dinner]
sweet potatoes
brown rice

15-Jun
[fasted until 1pm]
[1pm lunch]
sweet potatoes
white rice and veggies

[7pm dinner]
sweet potatoes
6 pieces pressed tofu
3 carrots
earthwalker7

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:59 pm

It sounds as though you were consuming a better and more satisfying diet with your previous way of eating! If it were me, i’d go back to that and if you find your previous way of eating wasn’t sustainable, then I would consider going back to the drawing board.

I like to take the view that how we eat should bring out the best in us, and make us happier with our lives. Eating mountains of starch like I’m a 16 year old boy on the cross country team, does not bring out the best in me. It is the right diet, for the wrong person.

I can’t eat like Rich Roll. I can’t eat like Rip Esselstyn. I can’t even eat like Jane Esselstyn. So I twerk (wait! Or is it tweak?) the calorie density of my food, and the stop valves on my meals, to keep me in patterns that work for my disposition and my body’s nutritional needs.

Your fasting windows aren’t working on your behalf — they’re working against you. Perhaps you are ready to change that.

If skipping breakfast does not bring out the best in you (turns you into a food monster who pounds a lot of food when you DO allow yourself to eat) — then perhaps you are a good candidate for eating three meals a day. Or three meals and two snacks.

Other things are probably not working on your behalf — question that! Or not.

But there really is no court of appeals to say, “But I only stuffed myself on potatoes and greens and rice and stuff!” Your body responds to the food you give it (starving it then stuffing it) and doesn’t really need to explain itself. You will want to look into that, right?

Perhaps now actually IS the time to talk to a competent plant-based nutritionist (or animal-based for that matter), to have someone with some letters behind their name explain some principles to you, and brainstorm a food plan that can get you out of quasi-binge-purge patterns. The binges are obviously outweighing the purges and that can’t be good.

Oh well. Perhaps that sheds light, or perhaps it’s time to get out your wallet! :)
roundcoconut

Postby Rosey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:13 am

Mary's Mini's helps when I'm in that spot.
Rosey

Postby moonlight » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:11 pm

earthwalker7 wrote:Hey all,

No absolutely Starch Solution has NOT been working for me.

In terms of my weight gain - it has been dramatic.
I'm like the 'before' and 'after' pictures of a vegan diet, but in reverse.

Davy Jones wrote:Hey peeps,,,, I started the whole WFPB thing this past November. I lost about 30 pounds over the first couple months & then hit a brick wall. I've been reading article after article to try & gain some insight. They pretty much all have the same messages. "Trying to lose that last few pounds?" "Cut out the oil." "Cut out the nuts, seeds & avocados." "Don't eat out so much." "Stop eating processed food." Blah, blah, blah.
I am not trying to lose that last few pounds. I'm trying to lose that last 120 pounds. I don't eat nuts, seeds, oil, avocados, etc. I don't eat out. I don't eat processed food...This is insane!

I wrote this post for Davy but I just realized the post was from May. Earthwalker7, if you are still checking in to this thread, here's my thoughts. I'm not sure if you have significant weight to lose...

I suggest purchasing Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss book since you have a significant amount of weight to lose. It is full of information on how to implement his eating plan. All of the guidelines listed below are in the book along with Dr. McDougall's detailed recommendations regarding such topics as quantity.

Also, check these guidelines carefully. I think I'm following them, then realize when I'm not losing weight that there's something here I've kind of ignored or thought was not important. Amy, in the June Weigh In thread wrote a great post yesterday or today discussing these guidelines. I highly recommend reading it.

Good luck! I recommend that you continue to pursue this diet plan. I have been on and off it for several years. I always feel better and have more energy when I follow the plan. Start a journal and document everything you eat each day. It is very helpful. People will check in with you and give you advice and encouragement.

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.

1. Eliminate All Animal Foods

2. Eliminate All Oils

3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.

4. Eliminate All Flour Products

5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes

6. Eat Legumes

7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal

8. Eat Uncooked Foods (Vegetables)

9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice

10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

Dr. McDougall says, "Make exercise a part of each day.
moonlight

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program