May 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: May 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Fri May 25, 2018 1:10 am

moonlight wrote:Thanks, Amy, for suggesting thoughts about sugar consumption. For me, I don't need sugar to complete things such as oatmeal. Savory oatmeal is more to my liking. But, when I use sugar for a salad dressing, or on popcorn, etc. I will quickly start craving that thing to eat. I feel lucky that I don't think too much about giving it up. Salt is similar. Salt just makes me crave more food in general. I went through a phase when I initially switched diets where I needed to use salt so I wouldn't give up on this meal plan. I put 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt in a salt shaker each day and used it guilt free. I rarely used it up. Gradually I've stopped using salt, only occasional use when the meal I've prepared is just too bland!

What is your favourite way to prepare savoury oatmeal?

I have a similar experience to yours with regards to salt and sugar - too much of them can cause cravings, but find if I keep the amounts low enough then I don't have an issue. Until I don't keep those amounts low enough...hahaha. Then it's pleasure trap city! Live and learn.
amandamechele

Postby landog » Fri May 25, 2018 5:21 am

I managed to persuade my scale to head in the right direction again - down one pound!
I'm looking forward to some warm weather this weekend, where it will be in the 80s (F) finally! (it should hit 30°C)

I plan to stay active and stay focused on the plan. I'm almost at one of my goals. Hope to get there in June!
June, by the way, gives us 5 Fridays! Take advantage of the opportunity for progress!
landog

Postby Arewethereyet » Fri May 25, 2018 6:05 am

201.6, down 0.2.

Going out of town today, planning to minimize the damage. Just an overnight visit w/ family.
Arewethereyet

Postby moonlight » Fri May 25, 2018 6:15 am

I've lost 1 lb this week. Down to 182.

I hope everyone has a great MWL compliant week! :)
moonlight

Postby Krissi3203 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:14 am

79k still

174lb 3 weeks running

Feeling healthy
Krissi3203

Postby Suey51 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:12 am

Greetings fellow McDougallers,

I just found out it was World Turtle Day this week and it made me think of all turtle-style McDougallers, taking it one meal at a time, eating the right foods and making slow but steady progress.

I miss being part of this group so drop in from time to time to read your news and stories. I've finally taken moonlight's advice and posted elsewhere on the forum to see if I can connect with other people trying to maintain weight loss.

Keep on turtling everyone!

Sue x
Suey51

Postby Rosey » Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 am

WOOT!!! from 300.9 last week to 296.5 this week. 4.4lbs gone this week.
Rosey

Postby galooop » Fri May 25, 2018 11:45 am

Monthly Weigh In = gained 1.2 LBS
(going to add a little jogging to my workouts and focus in improving eating compliance)

wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Sundog » Fri May 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Weight today 217.9 down 2.3 lbs!

Happy Friday everyone! No time to read your posts today as I’m making myself go to the gym!
I will get back on here this weekend to see how everyone is doing!
Best,
Sundog :D
Sundog

Postby amandamechele » Sat May 26, 2018 12:22 am

Landog - Nice. Weight-wise and weather-wise. I hope you enjoy some outdoor time with your family while working your plan too! That's so exciting, regarding nearing a goal. I can't wait to celebrate it with you. :)

Jennifer - Enjoy your family time. You can do this!

Moonlight - Yay, do the happy dance! Best wishes this week.

Krissi - I'm glad you're feeling good. :) How is your plan going?

Sue!! - How fitting that you thought of your Turtle Clan! I saw your excellent thread Maintaining Weight Loss: Riding the Wave (with a name inspired by Ms. Moonlight!). We miss having you and your insights here. :)

Rosey - Woot woot! So many happy dances tonight. You smashed through that barrier.

Chris - I'm so glad to hear from you :) , I hope your monthly has been a lovely one. Good plan for the coming week. It really does keep coming back to focusing on the food. LOL... always the darn food. I wish you a wonderful weekend too!

Sundog - I hope you enjoyed the gym. Great loss this week. Congratulations.

Here's an amusing photo I saw on Dr. Garth Davis's Instagram feed: It really is some of the best advise ever...LOL.
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Sat May 26, 2018 2:50 am

Good Morning from the German side of the globe :)

I lost 5 pounds this week. I am very happy.

The weather here is amazing, I bike every day to work, do some yard work and went back (after a head cold) to my workout routine (at home). I am slowly fitting into my smaller cloth again ... very exciting.

@ Amanda ... great that this treatment has helped you. I work with fully dressed patients on a futon.
The course is probably the best and most thorough on fascia training Germany has to offer at the moment. I signed up for part 2 and 3 as well. It felt really good that I received some very good feedback for my treatment during the course. And I was able to do all the moves and body-exercises, just like everyone else. That felt very good too. Looking forward to part two in August.
I have another course in two weeks time and I have set a goal weight to reach ... may I'll get close to it :)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Jobet » Sat May 26, 2018 4:25 am

I had a 1 pound gain this week.

After eating off plan, although not a lot, for the grad party last weekend I actually expected a gain. On that occasion I had more fruit, watermelon, than I did other foods. It's my favorite food ever (obvious by my forum avatar). This week I ate more fruit, as mangoes are wonderful right now and very inexpensive. Most days I only had the two servings per the MWL plan, but some days I overindulged. I've discovered a couple of things: fruit makes me sleepy and lethargic (even one serving). I started a thread to ask if one can live without fruit, getting all necessary nutrients from vegetables and starches alone. I thought I could, but wanted to be sure I hadn't overlooked something and I value the knowledge of those on this forum. It was a resounding, Yes, that one can live without fruit healthily, although it would be boring. And the second thing I discovered is that I can't trust myself around fruit, and it causes me to crave. Until now, I hardly ate any fruit on the plan, the occasional on sale orange or apple, when I first started out. Fruit is much too expensive for my meager budget normally and most of what I find in my stores is tasteless. I was reading online that fruit isn't today what it once was, it has been so domesticated and is much sweeter now. I'm not trying to demonize fruit here for anyone else, but for me, I'll be abstaining for a while to see if it makes a difference on my scale, and my cravings.

I am amazed, though I really shouldn't be :D , by your family's spectacular results. I hope all of you will one day consider writing about your successes.

Amy, I'm amazed too! I'm encouraging them to keep records and photos so they can share their success later on.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby amandamechele » Sat May 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi All!

Thank you to each of you for weighing-in or checking-in. I'm really thrilled about how well you are all doing...losers, gainers and maintainers (that feels a bit Dr. Seuss inspired...heehee... can you tell that I read a lot children's books?).
By continuing to show up, you are ensuring you give this just a bit of thought each week. Some weeks you may give it even more than a little bit. As the adherence improves, so does the outcome.

Now I know in our little group the specific focus is weight loss. However, many of us aren't just dealing with excess weight but also additional health issues that we hope to improve by adopting a Maximum Weight Loss style of eating. It can be motivating to understand how what we put in our mouths, and other lifestyle factors, affect our probability of developing a chronic disease, or having a reoccurrence of one. So I thought I'd highlight some research that Jeff Novick posted about in his thread.
This past week, the American Institute for Cancer released it's 2018 Diet and Cancer Report. Coming in at 12,000 pages it's not a quick read so, kindly, they have summarized the Top Ten Cancer Preventative Measures:

1) Be a healthy weight
Keep your weight within the healthy range and avoid weight gain in adult life.

2) Be physically active
Be active as a part of everyday life - walk more and sit less.

3) Eat a diet rich in whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans
Make whole grains, vegetables, fruits and pulses (legumes) such as beans and lentils a major part of your usual daily diet.

4) Limit consumption of "fast foods" and other processed foods high in fat, starches or sugars.
Limiting these foods helps control calorie intake and maintain a healthy weight.

5)Limit consumption of red and processed meat
Eat no more than moderate amounts of red meat, such as beef, pork and lamb. Eat little, if any, processed meat.

6) Limit consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks
Drink mostly water and unsweetened drinks.

7) Limit alcohol consumption
For cancer prevention, it’s best not to drink alcohol.

8) Do not use supplements for cancer prevention
Aim to meet nutritional needs through diet alone.

9) For mothers: breastfeed your babies, if you can.
Breastfeeding is good for both mother and babies.

10) After a cancer diagnosis: Follow our recommendations, if you can.
Check with your health care professional about what is right with you.

*Not smoking and avoiding other exposure to tobacco and excess sun are also important in reducing cancer risk.

Recommendations for Cancer Prevention
American Institute for Cancer: Diet and Cancer Report 2018
Jeff's thread: New Research on diet and Cancer
Additonal comments in Jeff's Optimal BMI thread.

Hmmmm, those all sound kind of familiar...especially number 3. So by eating McDougall-style we will help put our body in the best possible place that it can be, to face all of our potential futures... while hopefully wearing skinny jeans...LOL!

If you want to know more about your own lifestyle-based risk, take a look at The Cancer Health Check. It points you in the exact same direction that Dr. McDougall advises, but you will have a chance to input your individual levels of adherence to the AICR recommendations, and can thus decide which prescriptions are right for your life, right now.

"The report has a powerful message, and one that can prevent hundreds of thousands of cancer cases each year. Evidence now shows that an estimated 40 percent of cancer cases are preventable." Deirdre McGinley-Gieser, AICR's Senior Vice President for Programs.

I hope to see you all in the June Weigh-In group. :)

I'm about to get in one of those recommended servings of veggies right now, hot out of the oven!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the fourth week in May:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, June 1st, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 234.2 pounds

May 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 52.5 pounds
Total group loss in April 2018: 26.9 pounds
Total group loss in May 2018: 50.8 pounds

Week ending 05/25/2018: 9 participants reported a total loss of 11.7 pounds
---------------------------------------
Galooop - 1.2
Jobet - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 2.2
--------------------------------------
Landog - 1.0
Arewethereyet - 0.2
Moonlight - 1.0
Krissi3203 - 0.0
Rosey - 4.4
Sundog - 2.3
Svenja - 5.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 13.9
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in May 2018: 39.1 pounds
Week ending 05/25/2018: 9 participants reported a total loss of 11.7 pounds
Week ending 05/18/2018: 11 participants reported a total loss of 10.1 pounds
Week ending 05/11/2018: 13 participants reported a total loss of 8.7 pounds
Week ending 05/04/2018: 15 participants reported a total loss of 20.3 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat May 26, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat May 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Svenja - Wonderful loss this week, I hope you are happy and proud. I am gloriously happy for you. Every part of life gets better as you go through this process. I'm glad training went well and you could do it all comfortably. Woot woot!

Jobet - Watermelon is one delicious fruit! I've grown them before and I love them best straight out of the garden. I'm not as good at picking out the tasty ones at the grocer, however. 1 in 3 times when I purchase a seedless watermelon it just isn't that sweet. In our house we call them cucumber-watermelons, because they taste much more like a cucumber. I always end up stuck eating those ones, because I don't want them to go to waste but the kids won't touch them.
I look forward to hearing how your fruit experiment goes. Maybe you will be best without them for awhile. Thankfully, there are so many other tastes foods to choose from.
amandamechele

Postby Lonewalker » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:26 am

Was on vacation the last week so didn't have a scale. Weighed today and had gained 1 pound. :mad: Thought I had done really well while out of town.
Lonewalker

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program