Ordered the MWL book

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ordered the MWL book

Postby verovegan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 am

I ordered the Maximum Weight Loss book from Books a Million. With my BAM discount it only came to $15.00 which included shipping. Hopefully it will arrive by this weekend so I can read it before starting the MWL program next week. I will be signing up for the May weigh-ins.
verovegan

Re: Ordered the MWL book

Postby landog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:00 am

Welcome, Vero!

How long have you been following the McDougall Plan?
landog

Postby verovegan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:35 am

landog wrote:Welcome, Vero!

How long have you been following the McDougall Plan?

Hi landog,

I have tried to follow it and Forks Over Knives by reading the websites for a few years. However I am still overweight, so thought I would buy the Maximum Weight Loss book and finally get serious about losing weight.
verovegan

Postby Vegankit » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:26 pm

It's one of my favorite Dr. McDougall books - I own one too.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:05 am

verovegan wrote:I ordered the Maximum Weight Loss book from Books a Million. With my BAM discount it only came to $15.00 which included shipping. Hopefully it will arrive by this weekend so I can read it before starting the MWL program next week. I will be signing up for the May weigh-ins.

Welcome Vero! I'm looking forward to seeing you at the weigh-in this Friday!

Best wishes this week.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby verovegan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:51 pm

amandamechele wrote:
verovegan wrote:I ordered the Maximum Weight Loss book from Books a Million. With my BAM discount it only came to $15.00 which included shipping. Hopefully it will arrive by this weekend so I can read it before starting the MWL program next week. I will be signing up for the May weigh-ins.

Welcome Vero! I'm looking forward to seeing you at the weigh-in this Friday!

Best wishes this week.

Amy

Thank you. I read most of the book today and will start MWL tomorrow and then post my weight on Friday even though it won't be a full week.
verovegan

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:03 pm

That's wonderful, I'm glad you're jumping right in.

Here's a link to the thread:

May 2018 McDougall Weigh In thread

Best wishes,
Amy
amandamechele

Postby verovegan » Thu May 03, 2018 7:15 pm

amandamechele wrote:That's wonderful, I'm glad you're jumping right in.

Here's a link to the thread:

May 2018 McDougall Weigh In thread

Best wishes,
Amy

Thanks. The links were very helpful.
verovegan

Postby VeggieSue » Fri May 04, 2018 6:41 am

Note that Dr. McDougall's dietitian, Jeff Novick, recently posted the updated guidelines for the MWLP. These are slightly different than what the book says.

viewtopic.php?p=578019#p578019

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.

2) Choose fruit for desert.

3) Greatly reduce of eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6) Eliminate any added oil.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
VeggieSue

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program