PB2 powdered peanut butter

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

PB2 powdered peanut butter

Postby elizabeth h » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:59 pm

I’m curious if powdered peanut butter used in a spicy peanut sauce for vegetables and brown rice would be compliant wit MWL? I use about two tablespoons for a large skillet that makes 2-3 servings. The label says 2 tablespoons has 50 calories, 10 from fat, total fat is 1.5 grams.
Thank you.
elizabeth h

Re: PB2 powdered peanut butter

Postby amandamechele » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 am

elizabeth h wrote:I’m curious if powdered peanut butter used in a spicy peanut sauce for vegetables and brown rice would be compliant wit MWL? I use about two tablespoons for a large skillet that makes 2-3 servings. The label says 2 tablespoons has 50 calories, 10 from fat, total fat is 1.5 grams.
Thank you.

Hi Elizabeth,

Jeff Novick, the staff dietician, has weighed in on the product, here is a link: PB2 or Not?. In this post he suggests using real peanuts, however for MWL this would not fit with the guidelines.

I think your question is a really good one, that is without an answer that can be applied across the board to all people. This is one of those times where the best answer will depend upon the situation of the person asking it.

The letter of the law type answer would be that MWL recommendations suggest one avoids high fat nuts and seeds. You may then say that this product has been de-fatted, so maybe it can be included. So then if we continue to compare the guidelines to this product it may not pass the suggestion to avoid highly refined foods. Additionally certain brands of de-fatted peanut butter contain added sugar and salt, which is also suggested to be minimized. So with these things in mind, it can be said that no, this product should not be included if you would like to follow the recommendations for the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. It's a great program and will lead to weight loss so try to follow it as is. :)

Now, that all being said, I think that with the spirit of the law of the guidelines is that if you want to lose weight more quickly keep your caloric density lower by avoiding refined and high fat items as a major calorie source.
Would a quarter of a cup of your peanut sauce (which possibly contains those 50 calories, with 10 from fat) end up being the bulk of the calories from the meal? Would it significantly change the percentage of calories from fat of the whole meal? If it is added to just rice and veggies then maybe it wouldn't. If it was added to higher fat items, it would. Do you plan on eating it at every meal, or just once a week? These are just questions for you to think about.

Another wonderful thread from Jeff, called Compliance on a Healthy Diet, can help put these kinds of things into perspective. It's important to try and get the big picture right before worrying about all of the details.

If you would like a professional to weigh in on it, please post it in Jeff's forum, which is here: Jeff Novick, RD

I hope this was helpful and that you have a lovely weekend!

Amy
amandamechele

Re: PB2 powdered peanut butter

Postby elizabeth h » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:00 pm

Thank you for your reply. I guessed the processing involved would make it less than optimal. I was curious as this product is new to me. Taking out so much fat sounds good of course, but it’s what is left that matters.
I started reading up on MWL as a way to better learn what’s keeping me from losing, despite following this way of eating for about a year. It’s only 4-5 pounds, not a huge concern, but enough to keep one mildly discontent. It’s easy to look at all the right foods you eat, and disregard the very few that likely cause you problems.
elizabeth h

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program