Why is it so hard to lose the last 10 pounds?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why is it so hard to lose the last 10 pounds?

Postby seattlebuddy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:13 pm

After becoming a McDougaller, I lost some weight. Wahoo! Eventually, the scale wouldn't budge. Mary's Mini Diet to the rescue. Following it most days (just a McDougaller on others) took me about 7-8 weeks to lose 5 pounds. It was like watching paint dry, it took so long. But then I was at the weight I had been for most of my adult life and was able to maintain it as a McDougaller for about six months. That weight has always felt too high and is about 10 pounds above the Dr. Kempner's estimate (Nov 2015 newsletter). After watching "Webinar: 07/28/16, Dr. Anthony Lim, MD, and 'The Secret' to Weight Loss", I realized that my little treats were adding up - a piece of dark chocolate, a handful of nuts, etc. I estimate I was eating 250-350 calories/day in these kinda yummies. I felt empowered to get rid of some or all of those last 10 pounds. My efforts are not flawless, (Darn those skinny folks in my house who eat bread, nuts, seeds, avocado, sugar, etc and stay skinny! Why can't that be contagious?) but I would say they are executed well on most days. After 4 weeks, I lost maybe a pound. So I redoubled my efforts, added more Mary's Mini Diet days, planned food in advanced, higher % of veg covering the plate, and some fasting. After another 4 weeks (8 total), I maybe lost one more pound (two total). So we've gone from watching paint dry to slower than molasses in January.
Two questions:
1) Is it so hard for everyone to lose those last pounds?
2) When (and if) I ever lose some of those last pounds, will I never be able to eat any treats in order to maintain it?
Thanks!
seattlebuddy

Re: Why is it so hard to lose the last 10 pounds?

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:34 pm

In regard to the last 10 lbs

You can read this specific post or the entire thread

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47637&p=494976#p490913

Its a numbers game

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program