April 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: April 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby landog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:19 pm

amandamechele wrote:Landog - Happy Friday (and now Saturday) to you too! Wow, your consistent losses are very inspiring. Would you care to share with the group a couple of days worth of meals?

No!

I mean, I would, if I thought it would make a difference. I think the food part of the McDougall MWL plan is pretty well defined. if you have any doubts about how to achive weight loss, watch the Jeff Novick you tube on calorie density. (I watch it frequently, because it's good info and because, well, it's Jeff!)

My recent success is simply attributable to adherence.

This February, I challenged myself to a 'unprocessed' February. During February, I took a serious self re-assessment of why I started on this path nearly ten years ago. I started on this path originally to prevent heart disease. I had been on cholesterol and BP meds. Following this way of life, I quickly got off of them.

Despite this early success, over the years, I have let bits and pieces of the toxic environment that surrounds us creep back into my life.

Examples would be:
- eating out and having whole wheat pasta, but with the house sauce
- grabbing items from the candy bowls at work
- breads with oil

There's more. I'm not going to list them.

Okay, one more. Enjoying beer or wine would often lead to poor choices. Crackers, pretzels, bagels..

So, I started the 'unprocessed' February. I started becoming active on this board, again. I would review current or older threads. Some of them would resonate.

Here's one: Do you still have work to do? ..from Jeff Novick:
"If you are WFPB/vegan and have a BP of 135/85, you are not risk free because of your diet. You still have work to do."
"The solution is to use lifestyle and diet to get your level down to 110/70 or below (or as best you can)."

I came to realize that my "mostly" following the plan is not working. Looking back, I could see how I haven't been preventing heart disease. I've only been slowing its progression.

I can't change the past, but I can influence my future. I realize that good health depends on 100% adherence.

My unprocessed February was extended to March, and now April. Changes that I've made during this time include discontinuing coffee, salt and alcohol. If I go out to eat, it's only going to be at a place that serves steamed veggies and brown rice. No compromises!

My BP is normal. I'm monitoring my lipids. I'm exercising. I'm heading towards a lower BMI. I'm looking forward to see how living 100% McDougall will improve my health and well being.

You might ask yourself... Did you come this far to be the 90% McDougaller who develops a chronic disease? ..or can you go the extra 10% and be a 100% McDougaller and prevent chronic diseases? ..and achieve your goals?

This plan works, but only if you follow it.
landog

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:47 pm

moonlight wrote:Amy,

Thank you for such an inspiring and informed post! I always appreciate your links and encouragement. I really agree with the part about reflection. I think once we get our plan in place and start working toward our goals, reflection is the key because we won't be 100% successful. When we get discouraged because we can't seem to meet our goals we may become frustrated and not know where to go next, but just simple reflection may turn us around and help us get back on track. It's a journey. I like Dr. Lim's slide. Especially the "take baby steps". I think of that often. A change in eating habits is a gradual process. If we keep perspective we won't give up, even when it seems we are not making progress.

Thank you Moonlight. :o I agree with you, reflection is so helpful and so is taking it one step at a time, if that's how you work best. I certainly do.

XO
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:22 am

landog wrote:
amandamechele wrote:Landog - Happy Friday (and now Saturday) to you too! Wow, your consistent losses are very inspiring. Would you care to share with the group a couple of days worth of meals?

No!

I mean, I would, if I thought it would make a difference. I think the food part of the McDougall MWL plan is pretty well defined. if you have any doubts about how to achive weight loss, watch the Jeff Novick you tube on calorie density. (I watch it frequently, because it's good info and because, well, it's Jeff!)

My recent success is simply attributable to adherence.

This February, I challenged myself to a 'unprocessed' February. During February, I took a serious self re-assessment of why I started on this path nearly ten years ago. I started on this path originally to prevent heart disease. I had been on cholesterol and BP meds. Following this way of life, I quickly got off of them.

Despite this early success, over the years, I have let bits and pieces of the toxic environment that surrounds us creep back into my life.

Examples would be:
- eating out and having whole wheat pasta, but with the house sauce
- grabbing items from the candy bowls at work
- breads with oil

There's more. I'm not going to list them.

Okay, one more. Enjoying beer or wine would often lead to poor choices. Crackers, pretzels, bagels..

So, I started the 'unprocessed' February. I started becoming active on this board, again. I would review current or older threads. Some of them would resonate.

Here's one: Do you still have work to do? ..from Jeff Novick:
"If you are WFPB/vegan and have a BP of 135/85, you are not risk free because of your diet. You still have work to do."
"The solution is to use lifestyle and diet to get your level down to 110/70 or below (or as best you can)."

I came to realize that my "mostly" following the plan is not working. Looking back, I could see how I haven't been preventing heart disease. I've only been slowing its progression.

I can't change the past, but I can influence my future. I realize that good health depends on 100% adherence.

My unprocessed February was extended to March, and now April. Changes that I've made during this time include discontinuing coffee, salt and alcohol. If I go out to eat, it's only going to be at a place that serves steamed veggies and brown rice. No compromises!

My BP is normal. I'm monitoring my lipids. I'm exercising. I'm heading towards a lower BMI. I'm looking forward to see how living 100% McDougall will improve my health and well being.

You might ask yourself... Did you come this far to be the 90% McDougaller who develops a chronic disease? ..or can you go the extra 10% and be a 100% McDougaller and prevent chronic diseases? ..and achieve your goals?

This plan works, but only if you follow it.

LOL! Fantastic response. This is one of those posts that needs the heart emoji.

Your answer is much more comprehensive than I had hoped for when I had originally asked my question, and is also exactly what I wanted (and needed) us all to hear.

Thank you for the thoughtful response M. I'm so glad to know just a little bit more about you and what brought you here and what continues to motivate you. I love knowing your why and that of others others who not only continue to try and do their best and get the guidelines right, but also try and help others do the same. I've been reminded of a book that my husband loves called Start with Why, or something like that. The author is a business consultant and motivational writer and speaker. Though his focus is successful business leadership, there is much applicable to success in any domain. First Why and then Trust

PS. Jeff's BP comment also hit home with me when I read it. Though I'm not on any BP medication, mine runs slightly high and I am hopeful as I take off more weight it will come down.
amandamechele

Postby Rosey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 am

Hummm my post seems to not be here I was a gain Friday. back up to the 305lbs
Rosey

Postby landog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:07 am

April was a rough month.

Looking forward to some warmer weather and getting outdoors.
Some sunshine would be nice!

I hope that you all had a good week. I'm reporting a weight loss of 1.5 pounds this week to 153.

See you next month!
landog

Postby galooop » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:44 am

Gained 2.8 LBS (gah!)

well, that was quick!
can I blame the weight gain on out of town guests? :-)
well, not really, because it's up to me to decide what to put in my mouth and tummy...

Anyway, I'm getting back on track now...
wow - this is such a process for me!

Anyway, other than this week's gain, I've been on a plateau (up a little, down a little - repeat) -
So, I decided to weigh in on a monthly basis - last week of each month.

I'll be lurking, though. I love the tips and personal stories I read on this board.

have a Great weekend!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Sundog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:15 am

Weight 223.3 released 0.2 lb

Happy last Friday of April 2018.

Where did the month of April go? Thank you Amy for your educational, motivational and inspirational posts. I appreciate all the links that you post! Makes it so easy to find the information. :D

I’ve been going to the gym with my daughter and working on strength training (weights) and a little cardio. I want to get strong muscles to strengthen this body. :) I’m sure my weight loss is more but I’m sore from the workout that I did on Wednesday. I’m not worried as to what the scale says as I know my food is compliant. Going to go to the gym in a little while. Does anyone know of someone who has a strength training routine? Like one day legs/abs, next day butt/abs, next day chest/abs, next day back/biceps? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Wishing you all a healthy compliant week with warmth and sunshine!
Best, Sundog
Sundog

Postby victw » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:18 am

I am up .6 lb for the week.

But down .4 for two weeks. Things are still going in the right direction. I'm still not feeling like I have enough good habits nailed down - but it WAS not a normal week - so I can't really judge by this week.

I will be making a batch of beans and a pot of soup on Sunday.
I will also be looking for a container that fits two servings of broccoli to take to work - veggies consumption is getting a little lopsided.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby kirstykay » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Happy to report 1 pound released in the wild...never to return, or at least if it tries, I will turn it away and not welcome it back. :) I'm starting to actually FEEL better, like GOOD...and I'm liking the feeling of doing more things that make me feel good than bad.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby amandamechele » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:48 am

Rosey - Oh no, I wonder what happened to your post? I'm glad you tried again. How has your week been? Have there been any challenges? Are you finding a good rhythm for food prep?

Landog - Wonderful dedication to MWL this week. Welcoming a new month with more sunshine is just a few days away. This past month will be an unforgettable one for you, I hope fond memories can flourish alongside those feelings of loss. I lost my grandmother a number of months ago, and we were very close. Sometimes a song will come on the radio that we both liked and I will tear up a bit. Or I'll just think of her out of the blue and feel a bit sad about the loss of future time with her. I try to focus on some good memories, like her smile, her laugh and what it felt like to be loved by her. It may bring more tears, but at least they are happier ones. Best wishes this week.

Chris - I'm am positive that gain is not all or even any fat. A little salt here, a bit more fibre there and voila! The scale starts rebelling. LOL. I empathize, this is an ongoing process, keep doing your best because every single small right choice is helpful and cumulative. Keep lots of potatoes, rice and oatmeal on the ready. I like Dr. Lisle's little rule about eating something healthy first if you think you're going to eat something off plan (I think he may have mentioned it in this week's McDougall Webinar. It'll give you a chance to possibly fill up on something healthy, potentially eat less of the not-so-great choice or get yourself busy doing something else. I'll miss hearing from you so often, but I understand the need to take a step back and try another strategy if the one you're currently using isn't working for you. See you at the end of May! XO

Sundog - You are very welcome. :o That is the goal, if I can think of a matching resource to an issue someone is having, I try to link them to it (just like so many knowledgeable Star or Long-term McDougallers do. Their Ask a Star McDougaller forum is another great way to get a specific question answered). That's so nice that you and your daughter is going to the gym together. My son loves weight training, I'll ask him your question about strength training routines because I don't know much about it. An even better idea could be to ask about it on the Exercise and Fitness Forum. There are quite a few McDougallers who also work out including Jeff Novick. Here's a little breakdown of his exercise routine. I wish you a healthy and compliant week too!

victw - You had a loss, which is definitely moving in the right direction. Congratulations! What situations are tripping you up? What kind of soup are you making? (This is just a personal question because I LOVE soup. Before becoming a full-time McDougaller I never ate soup. It's now what I look forward to most, and I'm always happy to find a new recipe to try).

Kirsty - Set that baby free! I love it and am so glad that you're doing so well. :)
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:24 am

Good Morning!

I am exactly the same weight as last week. I was really disciplined this week, so there could have been some loss ... but I am always happy not to gain.

I was on a business trip this week (luckily only 2 days) and I managed well, but for one business lunch I had to watch the others eat and I just sat with them at the table (and they had food that I would have really liked ...).

I have a break day on Monday and Tuesday is a public holiday ... so I have an extra long weekend and I didn't set appointments for clients. I hope to have great 4 days and to get a lot of things in the garden, household, office work for my practice, studying and reading done :)

Have a great weekend everyone! Take good care of yourselves!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Jobet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:28 am

Sorry, I'm late weighing in this week. It's been a crazy week, and I've been a day behind the whole way. It's been a sad week as we lost a dear family friend. He was scheduled to come home from the hospital, and the next thing we knew, he passed away.

I'm up .8 pounds! And, I know exactly why. Bananas! I eat very little fruit, as I'm on a very tight budget and veggies are way cheaper in my area. This past week, however, my local grocer marked down lots of bananas and I bought lots of them, and ate several a day for a few days. Comfort food, I suppose. Well, obviously, I can't handle bananas, so no more for me whether they are dirt cheap or not. :-(
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby moonlight » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:26 am

My weight has gone down to 185 but is back up to 186 - so no loss for me this week. I haven't been able to exercise this week. Two to three weeks in a row with not much exercise... My diet has been more starch than necessary, too. :\
moonlight

Postby victw » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:20 pm

amandamechele wrote:
victw What kind of soup are you making? (This is just a personal question because I LOVE soup. Before becoming a full-time McDougaller I never ate soup. It's now what I look forward to most, and I'm always happy to find a new recipe to try).

This week I'm making a riff on the Festival Dal Soup - https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/mmi_lesson_04.pdf.

I cycle through a few regulars in addition to the Dal.
Potato and zucchini.
Split Pea Soup - from the Peaceful Palate

Last weekend I made Red Posole - https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/feb/recipes.htm.

Seems like I have a few other regulars - but that is all I can think of right now.
Usually soup is my breakfast at work.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Rosey » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:26 pm

Hummm seems it doesn’t like to post my results from my phone guess I will have to make sure and do it on computer instead. Was 303.2 Friday.
Rosey

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program