March 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: March 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Jobet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:36 am

Suey51 wrote:Jobet – thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your weight loss! I'm so pleased that you have found a way of eating that brings you peace of mind and happy to have you join this group of wonderfully supportive, encouraging, helpful and most importantly, non-judgemental people.

Your rate of weight loss certainly hasn’t been slow measured against my track record! The day before I saw your post, I’d done some number crunching on my weight loss with this way of eating. Not sure what triggered it. I’ve been seeking some extra motivation this week, but possibly it was just my love of playing with numbers - haha! Anyway, here goes:

- Number of weeks following this way of eating = 42
- Weight loss since then = 25.8 pounds
- Average weight loss per week = 0.6 pounds

In reality, some weeks were down, some were up and some stayed the same. Occasionally I've worried that my rate of loss wasn’t as rapid as others on the MWL program, but over time, those small 0.4 or 0.6 losses really mounted up. Those 42 weeks include Christmas and other celebrations and several holidays abroad, so overall I give myself a B+. Posting a gain to this thread was difficult, but only in my head, because I felt embarrassed. No-one here has EVER criticised or judged me or anyone else. This group really is the best :D

I do hope you are proud of your achievement :)

Thank you so much, Suey, for this welcoming and inspiring reply to my post. Thanks too for sharing your own journey. I didn't even realize until your reply, that I too went through Christmas and other holidays since starting MWL. There was so much bad weather during that time I wasn't able to get out until New Year's day, and I took my food with me to visit my son and family. It was both our Christmas and New Year's celebration. They have since started a WFPB eating plan too, after seeing the Forks Over Knives documentary. They aren't McDougallers yet, but are doing so well. My son has lost 14 pounds and my precious DIL, 10. I was so shocked and excited about their food change, I shared it here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57584

Sometimes I still think I'm dreaming when I see the rapid changes in their lives!

Yes, I'm proud of my achievement, and the achievement of my kiddos, and looking forward to what lies ahead. . .
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Sundog » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:07 am

Weight up 0.9 lb. :shock: weight 229.8

Good Saturday to all,
Weight up could be due to the salt in a mustard salad dressing or I made some veggie spring rolls with brown rice wrappers and they also have some salt in them. I would rather see a loss but this just means I need to watch salt in foods more closely.
I finally broke down and bought a really nice food processor. The chopping of veggies and needing an S blade for so many WFPB recipes helped me decide it was time. This saves so much time and repetitive motion with my hands. Now there is no excuse to not have veggies for salad cut up and ready each day! Now I need to make a nice salad dressing that is salt free. The one dressing I make is with a Dijon mustard and it is so good but I’ve yet to find a salt free Dijon! Today it’s rainy in San Diego so it’s a good day to find some new salad dressings.
Send you all positive thoughts for a good healthy nutritious week. :-D
Best, Sundog
Sundog

Postby amandamechele » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:29 am

Hello All!

Thank you for checking in; I hope you each feel proud of your efforts this week while continuing to improve your food choices and your consistency.

There were many great discussions and commentary in the forums over the last few days and I wanted to share a couple of them with you, in the event that you didn't see them.

Jeff updated The Importance of Evidence thread with a recent article from The American Society of Nutrition that discusses the use of anecdotal evidence vs scientific trials when evaluating health and nutrition information on social media, specifically the cognitive biases that can lead us to incorrectly value such information. Its an interesting read.

In another great thread from Jeff this week, entitled Get A Life! he discusses what he has learned from his mentors and what has helped him stay focused on his goals. With regards to your food choices, keep them as simple as you comfortably can. Be sure to take a look at the links within the post. Below are a couple of highlights:

JeffN wrote:As a mentor once said early on, we don’t do this for this to become our life, we do this to get our lives back so we can go out & live the life we’ve always dreamed of & deserve."

Grammy Ginger wrote:After following WFPB lifestyle for several years, I went through the change and weight briefly became an issue for me. I made some changes and eat more like McDougall Maximum Weight Loss: no oil, bread, pasta, nut butter, olives, tofu, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, or avocados, more veggies and salad, only 2 fresh fruits per day, limit beans, focus starches should be potatoes, sweet potatoes, or whole grains. I do best with sweet potatoes and lots of veggies but almost always eat some beans every day. I also had to eliminate things like tortillas, oat waffles, and those yummy cookies made with applesauce or banana and oatmeal as they are too calorie dense. For me eliminating salt and sugar helped but not everyone needs to do that.

It seems complicated but it isn't. Just start your meal with salad and/or veggies. End with the lowest calorie dense starches aka potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Mostly what helped was to stop thinking about food so much. Start doing interesting things instead of engaging in recreational eating or reading about food or looking at FB/YT postings of food and recipes. Go on a hike. Walk the dog. Learn to draw or paint or play the guitar or another language. Call your best veggie friend. Write a letter. Read a book. Volunteer to listen to 1st graders read at the elementary school. Become a docent at the local zoo or museum. Quit making food the focus of your life. In other words, eat to live and don't live to eat.

Good luck.

Still Can't Lose the Weight

Wise words from a successful long-time McDougaller!
Best wishes to you all, have a good week. :)

Amy XO

PS. I hope you all had a lovely St. Patrick's Day! We enjoyed dinner with my next-door neighbours and another couple, all of whom eat a more standard diet. I was thrilled when the most sought after dish of the night turned out to be the soup that I had made. Irish White Bean and Cabbage Stew from Susan Voisen. Everyone had seconds!

Here are the results for the third week in March:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, March 23rd, 2018

Total group loss reported in 2018: 135.5 pounds

March 2018 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2018: 54.7 pounds
Total group loss in February 2018: 49.3 pounds
Total group loss in March 2018: 31.5 pounds

Week ending 03/16/2018: 14 participants reported a total loss of 7.0 pounds
---------------------------------------
Suey51 - 0.6
Kkrichar - 0.4
Sundog - 0.9
Kirstykay - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 2.9
--------------------------------------
AnnaUK - 0.0
Olalka - 0.0
Landog - 1.0
Jobet - 0.9
BeHealthy - 2.0
Victw - 1.6
Galooop - 1.4
Moonlight - 1.0
Svenja - 2.0
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 9.9
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in March 2018: 32.5 pounds
Week ending 03/16/2018: 14 participants reported a total loss of 7.0 pounds
Week ending 03/09/2018: 11 participants reported a total loss of 13.4 pounds
Week ending 03/02/2018: 12 participants reported a total loss of 11.1 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Chris - Thanks Chris, I will try driving to a busier trail this week, it is a great suggestion. I'm glad you're still at it, trying to work through the issue that is troubling you. Geo is a great example of success in eating a MWL pattern over a longer term. Here are the links for anyone else interested in taking a look at his progress:

Geo's Star McDougaller story: George Sanders: Freeing Myself of Metabolic Syndrome
From the testimonial and success section of the forum: Metabolic Effects of a Starch Based Diet
His Online Journals: (They are highly detailed, very organized and very informative!):
Geo - Eyes Wide Open 2012
Geo - 2017
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling

There may be more threads or journals that I'm not aware of.

Sue - Alright, I'll look forward to hearing about McBailey's progress through you! I'm so glad its making you happy. :)

Svenja - Maybe your added water retention was related to breaking your fast and your kidney's were getting used to the higher sodium levels in your diet again. If you become concerned definitely talk to your doctor because I am merely speculating. It sounds like you have had a good week! Yay! It's so nice to hear that your friends rose to the occasion and that you went to the event prepared with your own food too. Good effort on your part. Aren't loving friends just the best?! XO

Jobet - Hi :). Yes, I'm Amy...it's all my parents fault for naming me Amanda and then calling me Amy all of my life...LOL. So confusing! I'm kidding... my parents are lovely and they do their best to eat a McDougall diet too...so I shouldn't be making fun. I hope your weekend is going well!

Sundog - Good observation regarding the salt. Jeff has updated his thread on Salt and Blood Pressure if you want to learn a little bit more. Let me get back to you on salt-free salad dressing. I'm sure there are some good ones out there. If anyone else has suggestions please let us know! I'm sending you positive thoughts for the week too! :)
amandamechele

Postby Jobet » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Jobet - Hi :). Yes, I'm Amy...it's all my parents fault for naming me Amanda and then calling me Amy all of my life...LOL. So confusing! I'm kidding... my parents are lovely and they do their best to eat a McDougall diet too...so I shouldn't be making fun. I hope your weekend is going well!

Hi, Amy! Amanda and Amy are both beautiful names. I'm thrilled to hear your parents are McDougallers too! That has got to be wonderful for you.

Thank you, my weekend was truly fun, and I hope yours has been special. I started a walking routine today, and was surprised with an unexpected award for doing so. Although, I sit here now with sore ankles, but they'll get used to it. Rather than repeating everything again, you can read about my special walk on my journal's last entry:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=57595&p=579610#p579610
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby kirstykay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:13 pm

I'm late in posting, but I want to keep showing up, so I am. I gained 1 lb again this week, but I'm trying not to get discouraged. I appreciate all the links you posted, Amy. I'm going to keep at this until I figure out what works for me. Maybe I need to get rid of the maple syrup in my oatmeal like you, Jobet. I am pleased at the changes I made this week and I truly expected to be down. I'm not giving up.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby amandamechele » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:17 pm

kirstykay wrote:I'm late in posting, but I want to keep showing up, so I am. I gained 1 lb again this week, but I'm trying not to get discouraged. I appreciate all the links you posted, Amy. I'm going to keep at this until I figure out what works for me. Maybe I need to get rid of the maple syrup in my oatmeal like you, Jobet. I am pleased at the changes I made this week and I truly expected to be down. I'm not giving up.

Kirsty,

I was sad last night when I took your name off the tally. I’m so glad you’ve posted. XO

Keep experimenting and reflecting! I know it’s very general advise but over time it will get you where you want to go.

Edited to include: I’ll add you to the tally this evening once I am home.

XO
Amy
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:43 am

Jobet wrote:

Thank you, my weekend was truly fun, and I hope yours has been special. I started a walking routine today, and was surprised with an unexpected award for doing so. Although, I sit here now with sore ankles, but they'll get used to it. Rather than repeating everything again, you can read about my special walk on my journal's last entry:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=57595&p=579610#p579610

I love your unexpected prize, what a lovely reward for doing something good for yourself. I bought this book for my daughter for Christmas. It has some lovely designs if you decide to pay-it-forward.
I hope your week is going well.
amandamechele

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:15 am

Hello everyone,

I'm reporting a 0.6 pound loss which takes me back to my weight on the 9th March weigh in. A more compliant week than last week :-D

I was interested to read Jeff Novick's article Get a Life! (thanks Amy for mentioning it). Initially, I took a little umbrage at this, but on further reflection have realised that this is good advice. The irony of watching Masterchef and Bake Off while trying to resist the lure of the cram circuit has finally hit me! This week I've been working on building some new habits to get me away from the evening telly-watching.

In other news, McBailey ate more Bailey- than McDougall-style this week and is reporting a 1 pound gain. He ate in restaurants while away from home for a few days and went for high fat/animal-based meals, so isn't surprised at the results. I stuck to plant-based meals, although a couple of dishes had a little oil. He's home now and back on track with his usual style of home eating and prepared a big batch of veggies, soups etc for us to have on hand. I'm very grateful that he does the veggie prep for us, it's a massive help to me.

Most days, we have a bowl of veg and bean soup with potatoes or rice and green veg for lunch. He doesn't find it filling enough so was having something like a white bread roll with tuna with it or was craving something sweet mid-afternoon. He is now experimenting with a larger portion, adding more rice/potatoes etc. and/or having some plant-based accompaniments. Yesterday's was wholemeal toast and homemade guacamole, so better than before, but not MWL. I think he was expecting me to have some but I politely declined. I tried not to look at those items on the table and certainly not think about them! Its a fascinating, if occasionally challenging experience to be observing him doing his thing while I try to continue swimming, turtle-like, beside him, keeping in my McDougall lane!

Best wishes to you all, Sue xx
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:30 am

kirstykay wrote:I'm late in posting, but I want to keep showing up, so I am. I gained 1 lb again this week, but I'm trying not to get discouraged. I appreciate all the links you posted, Amy. I'm going to keep at this until I figure out what works for me. Maybe I need to get rid of the maple syrup in my oatmeal like you, Jobet. I am pleased at the changes I made this week and I truly expected to be down. I'm not giving up.

On the subject of oatmeal, have you tried making it with banana? I use the ripest one in the house and chop it into small pieces and add to the oatmeal while I'm cooking it so it goes all soft and gooey. My thinking is that it adds sweetness but also reduces the overall calorie density. I make a large portion in the morning, and have some for breakfast, and the rest for an evening snack (if raw veg or fruit hasn't cured the craving) or for breakfast the next day(s). It keeps pretty well in the fridge and then I bung some into the microwave when needed, adding a little extra water or plant-based milk if its got a bit too solid. (I also keep chopped banana in the freezer as other family members refuse to eat ripe bananas so there are often ripe ones hanging out in the kitchen and I no longer cook banana loaf/muffins as too easy for me to over-eat!)

Sorry if you already do all that, but wanted to mention it just in case. Oatmeal is one of my favourite foods, so I can talk about it endlessly :lol:

Amy's advice about keeping experimenting and reflecting has certainly worked for me.

Keep going! xx
Suey51

Postby Jobet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:22 am

amandamechele wrote:
I love your unexpected prize, what a lovely reward for doing something good for yourself. I bought this book for my daughter for Christmas. It has some lovely designs if you decide to pay-it-forward.

Hi Amy,

What a wonderful gift for your daughter. I was just trying to decide last week if I need that very book. I'm collecting my materials now, as I really want to get into rock painting and sharing them with others. My budget is so limited I've opted for free info online, rather than buying the book. I'm going to check with my library to see if they have it, or can get it.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 am

Suey51 wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm reporting a 0.6 pound loss which takes me back to my weight on the 9th March weigh in. A more compliant week than last week :-D

Congrats, Suey, on your loss!

It must be soooooo hard when another has non-compliant food on the table. The ones who maneuver through such temptations are my heroes. I'm not sure I could ever be as strong! Keep up the good work and have a wonderful week ahead!
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:38 am

It's been a good week, even though I was unable to be out for my walks, as we had more snow, ice, and tons of rain and heavy winds. I do jump on my rebounder several times throughout the day. Read in another thread on this board about using the rebounder like a step, and have been doing some of that too. I also use my rebounder for squats, back up to it, sit down on it, and then up again.

I've stayed extremely busy creating a book cover for my son's latest self-published book. Have also been doing a lot of research and gathering of materials for my newest obsession; rock painting.

I've kept the food very simple as not much time for cooking. Manged to stay 100% compliant, but still had a gain of 0.2, bringing me to 170.8.

Hope everyone has had a great week!!
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby landog » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:35 am

Last year, during my 'Unprocessed February' I was pleased to report:
landog wrote:hello, 160's - it's good to see you again!

I've been in the mid to upper 170's for a while :eek:

Today (during my extended Unprocessed February), I'm happy to see:

I'm reporting a 1.5 lb loss for the week!
(hey, this plan works!)

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by landog on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
landog

Postby Jobet » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:08 am

Way to go landog!! I can only imagine how good that must feel. But, someday I will know for myself. You are an inspiration on this journey!! Keep up the great work!! :-D
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program