March 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: March 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby BeHealthy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 am

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your loss, Joblet!

I'm down 2 pounds this week and feeling good. I've been darkening the doors of the gym on the regular and am starting to feel stronger.

I have not been 100% MWL compliant this week, but have been 100% plant based. I received a McDougall email with the MWL guidelines this week, which I thought was a nice reminder and easy guide.

Happy Friday!
BeHealthy

Postby victw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:17 am

I am down 1.6 lbs for the week. Slightly more since getting my act together a month ago. But I did not record my high weight.

I've followed low fat plant based for years. But too much junk in the office and just a general melt down the past couple of years resulted in developing acid reflux and weight gain.

Goal this time is to not veer off so much that all the good gets lost.

Vic

Woohoo - just realized I moved into the normal BMI range.
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby galooop » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Lost 1.4 LBS
(sorry if this shows up as a duplicate post - I thought I posted earlier, but can't find it)

wishing you all Good Health!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby galooop » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:00 pm

hi, AMY -
I don't think you're silly at all. There's hiking trails very close to where I live with "watch out for bobcats and mountain lions" signs. I've walked there with a brave friend a couple of times and felt nervous. I do my (almost daily) 30 minute walk through the streets in town.

Is there somewhere you could easily drive to, where you could safely walk?
Maybe a track at a local park or school?
A bit of a hassle, but maybe worth it if you could relax and enjoy it.
just an idea...

galooop

Postby moonlight » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi everyone!

Finally, I'm reporting a loss! 1 lb. this week. Down to 188 lbs. I've hiked in the mountains the last two days. 6 miles yesterday and 8 miles today. It feels so good to be strong and have the energy to hike.

Happy St. Patty's Day! Good day to eat greens! I wish you all a successful week.
moonlight

Postby SonjaK » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Thank you for sharing your story, Joblet. I found it/you very inspiring. I hate to say "especially at your age" but I do. I also admire you posting here (I lurk in this thread and occasionally post) and just remember that post people gain weight every year/week/month so if your movement is in the other direction, no matter how slow, it's better than most!

Sonja
SonjaK

Postby amandamechele » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Moonlight - LOL! I keep forgetting my air horn too. You are very brave to hike alone with black bears and boars! I think the air horn would work in your situation too, based on what the salesperson at the outdoors store said to me. She said it scares away cougars because it is actually painful for their ears (and ours too), so I would imagine it could be the same for boars. Yikes, now I have boars running through my mind...lol...
I'm glad your week turned out well. Those Dr. Lisle talks are so helpful! I very much commiserate with your late-night food love affair...best wishes taming that Cram Circuit. :) Which ones are your favourites? I like the recent one about self esteem/esteem and self confidence. He's doing a McDougall webinar on Monday at 9am, you can register here to watch it live. Otherwise there will be a replay link available in about a day or so after that. My week has been pretty good (thank you for asking!!). I'm plugging away at staying MWL compliant while making regular McDougall meals for the family. So, its not perfect yet. I have had great success continuing to not eat in the evenings. The cravings really do calm down after a couple of weeks...it's just key to not indulge that stray spontaneous recovery when it happens because then you have to go through the process all over again.

olalka - I'm glad the wedding was a success for you diet-wise and as a fun night out celebrating with friends. That's fantastic that the server and chef worked with you. I love hearing that because it reinforces that it never hurts to ask. :) Yay, regarding loose tummy skin, that means you're doing really well! (We've got to put a positive spin on that as a badge of honour or something...lol...I'm a giant bag of excess skin...my hope is if one gets down a low-normal BMI there will be so much less subcutaneous fat that it will only appear crinkly versus hang-y and crinkly - sorry if that was TMI for anyone). Congratulations on this 3 month turn around in your life. Your journey will keep getting better and better! The rebounder sounds fun...tell me more about Pilates?

Anna - Yahoo! I'm so happy for you. Keep working at refining what you are currently doing and see how many of the 10 Point Checklist for MWL that you are achieving. You will have a loss, keep up the great effort!

Sue - I love that you now report your husband's successes...should I put him in the tally too...lol? What would be a good user name for him? McBailey? Wow, his cholesterol numbers are looking great! Have a wonderful St. Paddy's Day!

landog - I'm rooting for you, whether for March or April. Best wishes getting into those 150s. I'll do my best to avoid those cougars. One of their recent regular food sources here are theseferal rabbits whose population numbers have been growing. They're everywhere, so maybe I won't look as tasty. :lol:

Kelly - Thank you for posting! It really does take courage. I think its good that you are doing it now, specifically because your self-reported adherence means that your self-esteem is currently high - you know you're doing your best. Its uncomfortable to report a gain but, maybe, not overwhelmingly so. It may be more difficult to do during weeks that you don't meet your own expectations, so I think getting used to the feeling now is perfect. We are all here to support each other on this merry-go-round! XO

Jobet - Hello and Welcome to our little corner of McDougall-land! This is the perfect place to come and post because we all understand how you are feeling. Really really understand it. XO. I was going to say please don't feel embarrassed, but I realize its not something you can control - I feel embarrassed about my intermittent success all of the time. Please know that there is never any judgement on whether your weight loss is too slow, or even not occurring. This may be a weight loss forum, and it really is for Maximum Weight Loss, but we all come at it differently so some people may lose quickly and others will take more time to figure out all of the changes they need to make consistently to get to a healthy weight that they are happy with. I'm a Turtle too! You have been doing really well since December, be very proud of those almost 10 lost pounds! And now let's walk together for awhile. :)

Ann - 2 pounds down! It's happy dance time! (Irish style) I received that email too! It has me craving cauliflower and potatoes!

Vic - Congratulations on a great week and getting into that coveted normal BMI range, woo hoo! That's a great goal to have, do well enough so the good doesn't get lost! I look forward to hearing about your week.

Chris - Yes! Wonderful loss this week. :) Yikes...bobcats..I can see why you prefer to walk in town. I could drive to some higher traffic trails after I get the kids to school, that's a good suggestion. I love the idea of walking near my home because of the incline of this large hill that I live near, but if I'm not going to walk it consistently due to fear, maybe it is best that I find another spot. How is taming the sweets-monster going this week?

Moonlight (again) - Excellent effort this week! What kind of hiking do you like best? Is it in the woods? Up a hill? On a paved trail? All of the above? LOL

SonjaK - You are so right! Consistently losing is difficult over a long period of time and so is keeping that loss off. Jobet is inspiring! How are you doing?
amandamechele

Postby galooop » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:03 pm

hi, AMY -

Can't say I've exactly tamed the sweets monster yet, but I'm reading geo's journal where he posted daily for a year and it's Very Inspiring to try for 100% compliance:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27969

PS I take the bus to the gym 3 times a week and it is totally worth it!
so, maybe you'll feel the same way if you start driving to somewhere you can walk without being nervous.

galooop

Postby Suey51 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:57 am

Jobet – thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your weight loss! I'm so pleased that you have found a way of eating that brings you peace of mind and happy to have you join this group of wonderfully supportive, encouraging, helpful and most importantly, non-judgemental people.

Your rate of weight loss certainly hasn’t been slow measured against my track record! The day before I saw your post, I’d done some number crunching on my weight loss with this way of eating. Not sure what triggered it. I’ve been seeking some extra motivation this week, but possibly it was just my love of playing with numbers - haha! Anyway, here goes:

- Number of weeks following this way of eating = 42
- Weight loss since then = 25.8 pounds
- Average weight loss per week = 0.6 pounds

In reality, some weeks were down, some were up and some stayed the same. Occasionally I've worried that my rate of loss wasn’t as rapid as others on the MWL program, but over time, those small 0.4 or 0.6 losses really mounted up. Those 42 weeks include Christmas and other celebrations and several holidays abroad, so overall I give myself a B+. Posting a gain to this thread was difficult, but only in my head, because I felt embarrassed. No-one here has EVER criticised or judged me or anyone else. This group really is the best :D

I do hope you are proud of your achievement :)
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:09 am

Thanks Amy At this stage McBailey says he would prefer to stay 'on the periphery' of things please :) I'm trying to support and encourage him - as he doesn't have you guys for that - and have nudged him into joining my Friday morning weigh-in. He's so buzzed by recent results on weight loss, cholesterol and blood pressure, it makes me feel very happy :-D
Suey51

Postby Svenja » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:29 am

Good Morning ...

... here it's back to freezing temperatures and snowing .... :?

I report 2 pounds loss this week.
It is rather amazing, since retained about 6 pounds of water last weekend ... with swollen hands, feet and face ... no sensible idea what happened.

I posted last week that I will attend a 25 year wedding anniversary and I was wondering how it food wise would work out.
I ate before I went to church and the cake buffet afterwards was easy since I had made some sweet potato muffins. I had talked to the hosts before and knew that at the evening celebration the food would be served buffet style. They were really very kind and caring. It was about 90 guests ... 85 omni, 4 vegetarians and 1 plant based ... that would be ME :)
They served the starter soup (cream of corn with ham at the side) at the table and I was served a salad.
At the buffet there was a vegan stir fry and some pan fried potatoes ... so I ate oil and margarine ... but I was very happy with that and was able to participate without much hassle.
I had fruit salad for dessert.
I think that was very kind and loving of these friends to take care of me :)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Jobet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:50 am

BeHealthy wrote:Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your loss, Joblet!

I'm down 2 pounds this week and feeling good. I received a McDougall email with the MWL guidelines this week, which I thought was a nice reminder and easy guide.

Thank you, and a big congrats on your loss this week. I received a McDougall email with the MWL guidelines this week too, but haven't had time yet to read it. Now I'm looking forward to it. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:56 am

moonlight wrote:Hi everyone!

Finally, I'm reporting a loss! 1 lb. this week. Down to 188 lbs. I've hiked in the mountains the last two days. 6 miles yesterday and 8 miles today. It feels so good to be strong and have the energy to hike.

Hi moonlight and congrats on your loss. I see you live in TN. I love the mountains of TN. I was living in Elizabethton, TN, then after my hubby passed away, lived in Jonesborough, TN with my son and family for a while.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:05 am

SonjaK wrote:Thank you for sharing your story, Joblet. I found it/you very inspiring. I hate to say "especially at your age" but I do. I also admire you posting here (I lurk in this thread and occasionally post) and just remember that post people gain weight every year/week/month so if your movement is in the other direction, no matter how slow, it's better than most!

Hi, Sonja, and thank you so much. I don't mind "especially at your age" in the least. I honestly forget that I'm 71 until I have a need to write it down. Inside, I'm so much younger! I used to hear my "elders" say that, but never realized how true it is until I got here. Thanks too for the encouragement about posting in this thread and the slow weight loss. After the initial post here, it broke the ice for me, and I'm good now. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:13 am

amandamechele wrote: Jobet - Hello and Welcome to our little corner of McDougall-land! This may be a weight loss forum, and it really is for Maximum Weight Loss, but we all come at it differently so some people may lose quickly and others will take more time to figure out all of the changes they need to make consistently to get to a healthy weight that they are happy with. I'm a Turtle too! You have been doing really well since December, be very proud of those almost 10 lost pounds! And now let's walk together for awhile.

I'm a little confused at the moment on names, are you Amy? Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the encouragement. So nice to meet another Turtle!! Yes, I'm feeling at home in this thread, so hope to walk with all of you here for awhile. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program