March 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

March 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:21 am

Welcome to the March Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hello All!

Welcome back to everyone along for this ride and a big welcome to those just getting on.

While looking for a bit of inspiration for March I came across the perfect video from the 2014 McDougall Advanced Study Weekend. This is Dr McDougall at his finest; in command of the stage, confident of his message, and ever so slightly irreverent. I’ll tell you it was this last quality, alone, that I thought may convince my Dad to get into the car with me and take this starch-based diet out for a spin. My Dad just wants to hear the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, not some health care provider saying You can’t handle the truth. Though my Dad still test drives other cars every once and awhile, he bought Dr. McDougall's thanks to the integrity of the salesman and the quality of the product.

If you are looking for someone to just tell it like it is, Dr. McDougall is that guy. He wants you to understand the best way to lose weight and reverse your chronic diseases so badly that he even put it in pictures. You’ll never have to wonder what his expectations are of you the patient, of you the steward, or of you the advocate. He wants you to care for the world by taking care of yourself.

And if you don’t know what I mean, just remember, it’s the food!

Let’s pay particular attention to the food this month. Take a minute, this evening, and click the links above to go through the MWL Guidelines. Think through what you ate this last week and consider what you did well, and what you can improve on. Maybe change 1 thing just a little closer to the guidelines and see how that feels. Make more adjustments as you feel ready.

I’m looking forward to spending the month with all of you! Best wishes and see you all on Friday and Saturday for the weigh-in!!

Amy XO

PS. Did any of you watch the McDougall Webinar this past Monday, with Dr. Lisle? Spoiler alert: The devil is in the details. :) Secrets to Positive Change.

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: March 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Suey51 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:59 am

Hello everyone

Thanks for sharing the link to that video Amy, it sounds great :) And thanks for the story and pics **heart emoji here**

This isn't my weekly weigh-in post, but I wanted to share this moment with you all:

Four years ago today, on 1st March 2014, my life changed. A personal trainer at my gym said, “if you want to lose weight, cut down or cut out, meat, dairy and sugar”. He recommended a wholefoods, plant-based diets and suggested I read Dr T Colin Campbell’s ‘The China Study’ to understand the research supporting that way of eating. At that point I weighed 10 stone 6 pounds (146 pounds) and my BMI was 25.

I didn’t switch overnight to a wholefoods plant-based diet but that day was the start of a new weigh of life (pun intended!). My health gradually improved as I cut down on meat, fish, dairy and processed foods. I read ‘The China Study’ and ‘12 Days To Dynamic Health’ by Dr John McDougall and started making more plant-based meals. My weight went up and then down again, but I couldn’t get below 10 stone 6.

In May 2017, I decided to try out Dr McDougall’s Maximum Weight Loss Program for 12 days. Today, 1st March 2018, I’ve reached my 3rd weight loss goal, of 8 stone 12 pounds (124 pounds) and my BMI is 21.2. Following a wholefoods plant-based diet made me feel better. Following the McDougall Program made me feel wonderfully well and got me back to the weight I was 14 years ago :D

Have touched down on this weight a couple of times in February but not on a Friday sadly! Hoping that sharing this now will help me stay on-plan for the rest of the day ;-)

Will be back for the weigh-in tomorrow.

Sue xx
Last edited by Suey51 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:29 am

Hello everyone,

I'm posting a 0.4 pound loss this week which brings me to my third weight loss goal and a total of 25 pounds lost since I started this way of eating last May :D

It has been soooooo cold in the UK this week! The veg and bean soups, veg and bean stews and jacket potatoes have been perfect! I've had bigger portions at mealtimes and have felt less hungry in between. My husband has had a couple of off-program meals and has lost 1.4 pounds.

Best wishes to everyone, Sue x
Suey51

Postby landog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 am

Happy March!

March came in with a roar!

I'm down one pound to 163.

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby BeHealthy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 am

I was very sick again this week, but am happy to report that I've been able to start eating normal foods again. Put me down as 0 again this week and I'll use it at my new start number. Thanks!

February was a complete disaster for my health. I'm so sick of doctors, hospitals, tests and all the nonsense that comes along with them. I'm feeling so happy to be home and on the mend now and can't wait to begin adding delicious foods back into my life, slowly, but surely.

I'm not sure what my weight number will do as I regain my health again, but also don't care about the number as much as I do being able to eat healthy foods and begin to slowly build back some strength and stamina.

Have great weeks everyone!
Ann
BeHealthy

Postby galooop » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:14 am

Gained 1.6 LBS this week <sigh!>

Taking comfort that I'm still just under the 'overweight' measure of my BMI.
I do know that I'll have to do some fine tuning to break this plateau, though.

Wishing everyone a great weekend and week!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby moonlight » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 am

Hi Everyone,

I've lost 2 lb. this week. Yay me! Chris, I feel for you. I had to report a gain last weigh in. The good thing is you are here reporting ups and downs and sticking with it, right? Good luck this week. Ann, I hope you continue to get stronger and feel better. You are eating the healthiest diet possible for regaining health.

Good luck everyone! :cool:
moonlight

Postby landog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:42 am

galooop wrote:I do know that I'll have to do some fine tuning to break this plateau, though.

Wishing everyone a great weekend and week!
:-) Chris

Hi Chris,

What changes do you plan to make?

It's going to be a good month!

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby Sundog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Today’s weight 229.9 released 0.6 lbs. :D
Happy to be in the 220’s now!
Thank you for the positive thoughts, prayers last week for the loss of my nephew. I came home after the funeral and ate a compliant McDougall meal before I went to my nephews celebration of life. There was so much non compliant foods but I was not tempted nor even hungry. I fed my body with nutritious foods and just watched as people ate such unhealthy and non nutritious food. I felt so grateful for this WOE!
Looking forward to spring and daylight savings ending soon. New beginnings, warmth and longer sunnier days! Wishing you all a nutritious healthy week!
Best, Sundog :)
Sundog

Postby kkrichar » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm down 1 pound this week.

I finished the potato Mary's Mini yesterday. I had my first non-potato meal for breakfast today and oatmeal never tasted sooo good!!! I lost a total of 6.4 pounds during the mini. All but 1 pound of that was in the first few days. I think my weight was up from my trip to Austin. Partly from eating high fat/calorie foods and partly from water retention in my muscles from the half marathon. But, even taking that into consideration, I feel muuuch better. Way better than I did before I left for Austin. My clothes are fitting better

My husband and I are doing 10 days of MWL now. He lost 10.4 pounds on the mini. My hope that MWL would sound appealing following a mini is true so far. Instead of craving off-plan foods I'm craving my old MWL favorites. We have a Happy Herbivore Kung Pao recipe that is on the menu for dinner tonight. I couldn't wait to eat my oats for breakfast this morning. So, we'll keep moving forward.

Amy, I'm not sure if you were asking about the manuscript with Dr. McDougall specifically or how I got involved with it, but here's a link to it:
https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/ar ... 2891-13-99
I know there was some discussion about in the lounge when it first came out in 2014. I just ran the statistical analysis.

Anyhoo, congrats to the losses and to everyone who keeps coming back!! Have a great weekend!

Kelly

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby kirstykay » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm up 2 pounds this week.

Back on track and excited to turn the page to a new month. The results of my Mary's Mini were not great. I lost a lot of weight initially, but I think the restriction got to me and I went off the rails. I have decided that I need to rethink my mindset. I have always struggled with a dieting mentality and motivated by wanting to get this done QUICKLY. But, more often than not, that has backfired on me and this is no exception. I am chalking it up to a learning experience and have taken a hard look at the fact that I need to do this the way Dr. Lisle refers to as the "slow fast way."

So, I am re-committing to MWL for the duration. I get sidetracked by other versions of the WFPB movement, and end up in somewhat of an analysis paralysis. So, I'm not going to do that anymore. I am taking a break from the fb groups I belong to, and just focusing on what is going to take for me to commit to this 100%, or however well I possibly can.

I so appreciate all of your support, Amy. And I am grateful for all of the links and resources you provide for us here. I really appreciate you!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby landog » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:21 pm

kirstykay wrote:Back on track and excited to turn the page to a new month.

Hi Kirsty,

I was wondering how your potato month was going. Also, I saw you and Amy on the Dr. Lisle webcast this week. I didn't really get too much from it other than have something ready to eat in the freezer for when you come home from work dog-tired. Even so, that's helpful. Something to think of, to make sure of. It's enjoyable to listen to him.

March is going to be a good month! MWL is the way to live...

-dog
landog

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Hi everyone! My start weight is 200.0 and I am new so "0" for this week.

Lots of familiar faces here as well as new faces to meet! I've been lurking around this forum for several years now and have just never gotten a handle on "time and adherence." I recently had an "aha moment." I have struggled with lower back problems (including a surgery about 15 years ago) and arthritic joints to include both of my hips being replaced. But somehow, it wasn't the food. :duh: :duh: :duh: Anyway, I pulled something in my back 2 weeks ago. A somewhat regular occurrance, but this time it was really bad - I literally could not safely leave the house for about 10 days. Like a lightning bolt hitting my head, I vividly remembered Dr. McDougall talking about blood flow to the spine and how the same artery clogging diet that causes heart problems also causes back problems. I heard this in one of his lectures a long time ago, but somehow didn't make the connection. Well, now I have. I hope this wake up call is what it takes to keep me on the McDougall train for good.

I hope I can join your merry band. Amy I so appreciate the motivational messages you provide. This weekend I am going to review the MWL basics and also watch the videos you linked. Thank you for what you do for this group! I am so encouraged reading about everyone's positive results, which are sometimes weight loss but other times other things.

Kirsty I can relate to something you said about wanting to lose weight fast, and then that ending up not working and going off the rails. That is totally my historic MO. One extreme to the other. I am starting to realize that trying to find a faster way just isn't going to work. So for now, regular Starch Solution is my lane, with a goal of moving gradually towards MWL.

The last couple weeks since my Big Wakeup Call have been excellent food wise. When I finally left the house for the first time, I realized how "in your face" our excessive C.R.A.P. food culture really is. Geez - C.R.A.P. really is everywhere on every corner of every block. I think in the past I haven't taken the need for air tight preparation seriously enough. So that is something else I'm focused on right now, prepping food in advance and having a plan every single day.

Anyway, sorry this is getting so long. I look forward to getting to know all of you and sharing this journey. And sticking around this time.
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby kirstykay » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:58 pm

landog wrote:
kirstykay wrote:Back on track and excited to turn the page to a new month.

Hi Kirsty,

I was wondering how your potato month was going. Also, I saw you and Amy on the Dr. Lisle webcast this week. I didn't really get too much from it other than have something ready to eat in the freezer for when you come home from work dog-tired. Even so, that's helpful. Something to think of, to make sure of. It's enjoyable to listen to him.

March is going to be a good month! MWL is the way to live...

-dog

Thanks! I think I needed ti go through this process to learn this. I think noe I am ready to commit 100%. Feels good.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby amandamechele » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:56 am

Sue - You have way of summarizing this information that is amazing! It's cold where I am too, but rainy instead of snowy. I actually ate 2 different soups today to try and warm up...LOL. How decadent! I am so happy for you reaching that 3rd goal. Your steadfast determination and ability to set a plan and follow it is quite inspiring! Woot woot! (That's Canadian slang for joy and approval...maybe that's toot toot in the UK...or maybe its not...hahaha)

Landog - Yes! Great loss for the first week of March. I'll have to look for you and others when watching those webinars. I mostly watch from my phone so I tend to minimize the comments once I have typed hello, that way I can see whomever is speaking on the whole screen. You are so right...MWL is the way to live!

Ann - I'm so glad that you're home now, and on the mend. Definitely don't worry about the number on your scale. If it goes up because you are finally able to eat, then that's what its going to do. Please don't let it discourage you, you know how well you are eating at any given time, so be encouraged by that kind of progress. What kinds of things are you looking forward to eating? Do you have enough energy to prepare things, do you have some help or support? XO

Chris - You will figure it out. I have no doubt. I'm in the same boat as you right now. I've been fine tuning too. I am finding that focusing on 1 issue at a time at this stage in the game is helpful. I just checked the calendar to try and remember how long I've been working on theCram Circuit problem and realized I must have given the wrong numbers last time I was talking about it. It's now been almost a month that I've had it in my focus, with 2 slips during that time, but none in the past week. Is it still the sweet tooth issue for you? Is it a very specific food? Or place? Or time of day that you find is consistent problem? Maybe all of those things?

Moonlight - Great loss this week. It really is all about just coming back, no matter what happened the week before. :) Good luck to you this week.

Sundog - You held strong through an emotionally draining situation. Good for you...I have found over time that once eating this way is your default habit, you're much less likely to choose poorly even when under stress. It's was your good planning and preparation that got you through a very emotional week with such a good outcome. XO.

Kelly - Yay! Your Mary's Mini was a smashing success. Good luck to you and your husband for the next 10 days. I wish I were at your place for dinner, I love Lindsey Nixon's recipes! I had a bowl of potatoes with ketchup and Sriracha... feeling a little bit lazy about cooking tonight. Thanks for that link. Its cool to see your name there, and think, hey I know who ran that statistical analysis.

Kirsty Hey, I'm so glad you're back at it. I know what you're going through with regards to wanting that weight off quickly...I bet many of us here do. Its tough to break the habit of treating this like a quick fix, but as we've seen with all of these other little mental loops that we get caught up in, with effort and practice we can break free of them (even if just for awhile). I know I said this before, but it looks like you've progressed past the Ego Trap. You just keep showing up, even though it mentally hurts to do so. Your head is now in the game. Yay!! Now onto the rest! With regards to social media, there are now so many ways to connect online with people who eat similarity to this lifestyle that it can be dizzying and confusing and distracting. I also minimized which groups I belonged to on social media for the same reason. I began to fritter away all of my spare time trying to keep up. Jeff recently posted which social media groups are endorsed and monitored by the staff: The McDougall Message and Social Media. Also, his articles/threads called The Information Myth: Is More Always Better speaks to this same phenomena but from the angle of media health claims. Today's Breaking Health News...and one of my favourites: You'll Never Be Famous,and That's OK. Let's keep living our ordinary lives with dignity and aspire to treating ourselves and others with kindness. By turning off all of those other avenues for comparison we can settle into what we, ourselves, actually find important to focus on...like eating well, MWL style! Best wishes this week.

Lizzy - Hi and welcome back! I love long posts, and hearing where you are in this process, so please write away. You can definitely join our merry band, and I hope your back starts to feel better soon...and it will once you get that blood flowing by getting back to the program. Please do take a look at the guideline links, I find always take something new away from the repetition, or just reinforce what I already know...and it is inspiring. What are you thinking about preparing to eat this week? Do you have any social obligations to navigate? Good luck this week! You can totally do this!

Here's some of what I ate today, as I mentioned to Sue above it was a 2 soup sort of day:
This one was Mary McDougall's Moroccan Red Lentil Soup (minus the orzo):

And this was Not Your Average Potato Soup from OhSheGlows (minus the oil):

(Sorry they're not the best photos, I hadn't planned to post them...but yum...look at those soups!)
amandamechele

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program