October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Bougainvillea » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Reni wrote:
Bougainvillea wrote:Dinner - Stir fry brocolli and water chestnuts and peas, and I used leftover bean water I'd frozen to make a sauce out of that turned out really good. Added some Indian/Asian type spices, soy sauce and some corn starch to thicken it. On whole wheat noodles. It was good, though a tad salty from the soy sauce:

That dinner looks pretty good! :-D

It actually was! I love the flavor of the water when I cook beans, and so I froze the leftover bean water. I'm experimenting with making my own sauces, and learned that I can use corn starch to thicken any broth, really. So, I just added some spices and corn starch and soy sauce and it turned out pretty good! Had the leftovers for dinner tonight - after my face thawed out from being numbed by the dentist again.
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Postby Bougainvillea » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:19 pm

amandamechele wrote:Karen - Walking was a brilliant strategy for dealing with your stress. Fantastic!
(I have been looking for a situation to use my favourite baby meme lately...that little guy is so darn cute!)

Day 25 Amy's MWL Challenge

Love this baby meme! Thanks.
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Bougainvillea

Postby amandamechele » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:44 pm

amandamechele

Postby Suey51 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:47 am

Hello lovely weigh-in friends!

I’m away from my home scales today so reporting a zero gain/loss this week.
Enjoying reading all your stories, discussions and recipes.

Katie3 – thanks for sharing the link to Doug Lisle’s Slow Fast Way video :)

Amy - your post about eating being only one aspect of health and trying to tackle other aspects was like you had a window into my soul! Having reached my second goal weight, I’ve been feeling that I’ve got this eating and exercise thing sorted. Feeling stronger physically and mentally, I thought “I’ve proven to myself that I can change my eating and exercise habits so now’s the time to cut out/cut down alcohol intake”. I realised that I can use some of the things that have worked for me with eating, e.g. reading books about the ‘how to’ and finding an online support group. Thanks for linking to Jeff’s post, it was perfect timing :)

What I’ve learned over the past couple of weeks, is that I’m like a newly qualified driver. I may have passed ‘the eating test’ in certain environments but I’m still learning about dealing with all the real world eating situations. At home I only eat at a restaurant about once a month but this week in Spain we have been eating out every day. There are different situations for me to practice my newly acquired eating skills.

In the UK, you have L plates (learner driver) on your car before you pass your driving test and can choose to have P plates (probationary driver) after you pass to indicate to others that you are a new driver. That’s me, at the moment with regard to the McD program :lol:

With regards to alcohol, I think I know ‘the whys’ but am still learning about the ‘hows’. A bit like I did when I started with the plant-based diet a couple of years ago, I am having mixed success and haven’t found the right plan or support group yet. I’m going to read through the research that Jeff links to in his post on triaging your health efforts and re-watch some of Doug Lisle’s videos which reference changing addictive habits.

Keep on keeping on everyone xx
Suey51

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:52 am

Greetings Group Mates!

I'm down 2 lbs this week. I have gotten out and started to walk a few days a week, weather permitting. I am taking it slow but sure and I am enjoying it immensely. I've broken in my new walking shoes and my sturdy walking stick (which I love!) I feel secure and happy with it like it's my Light Saber!I am going to get my rebounder out and use that when the weather is not cooperating.

Yesterday started a food journal. Staying pretty compliant. Did have a few small pieces of halloween candy when the fam went to a community Trunk or Treat last weekend at the community center. Other than that, did pretty good.

I am consciously trying to be more aware of my salt sprinkling on food. I do not cook with salt. I do some sprinkling though. I'd like to get my taste buds away form that.

Had a Dr appointment last Monday. Lab results pretty good and improved. Cholesterol was 199, now down to 177. I started this program in mid July so that's a pretty good drop for 3 months. Dr was impressed with it too and my weight loss. Told her all about what I'm doing. She knows about the McDougall Program and totally agrees that it's good for me. :)

Good work People! Thanks for sharing! It is appreciated! This is a wonderful adventure and I am learning everyday. An adventure in self discovery and seeing what I am capable of doing. Staying on the road to Health and Wellbeing is the experience I am after.

Hang in There Everyone! ;-)
Susan
zsilent1

Postby Cathmc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:42 am

Susan - Well done on the weight loss, the good numbers on the bloodwork and great up beat post.

Karen - I agree. Good idea to take some healthy option whilst out. Thanks for the suggestions ref the bbq. I may well make a roasted red pepper salad to take but no, I wouldn´t be too horrified with any being cooked on the same grill. Glad things are coming together for you.

Suey51 - Don´t you find it easier to eat out in Spain though ? I live here and I think that on the whole restaurants are so much healthier. That said, lots of fish and meat. I´m very much at the L stage at the moment with this way of eating but enjoying it and feeling better.

Amy - Only green tea for brekkie ? :shock: I´d be chewing on my desk if I only had that for breakfast. LOL

I´m happy to say I can report a drop of 1.5lbs. I wasn´t very good at the weekend so I´m ok with that. I just want to keep enjoying my food, not be hungry and albeit very slowly, just keep on going in the right direction.

I´m going to be pretty busy this weekend. Grandchildren on Saturday, family / friends bbq on Sunday so I won´t be around. Wishing you all a good one.
xx
Cathmc

Postby galooop » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 am

Gained 1.2 LBS

kind of a tough week -
here's to a better one next time...

I have a Dr. appointment coming up in a couple of weeks and am due for my yearly blood tests. So I had better be more compliant than I have been lately. I know I'll feel much better, too.

:-) Chris

I'm watching Jeff Novick on youtube for inspiration and resetting my compliance!
Last edited by galooop on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galooop

Postby Suey51 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:57 am

Susan - congrats on the weight loss and numbers, excellent results!

Cathmc - congrats on the weight loss. I agree. The menus at the restaurants we've been to this week are largely based on meat or fish sometimes with a token 'vegetarian pasta'. Often the only vegan oil-free option on the menu has been a house salad without tuna, egg etc. In the UK I would often order hot vegetable side dishes, asking for them without oil, but haven't seen them on menus here. I struggle to find starchy veg or whole grains to go with the salad, so end up eating white bread. One evening I did steal the jacket potato that came with my husband's lamb chops! It would help if I improved my spoken Spanish so that I could ask for the potato without the chops :-) There are some Indian restaurants locally so going to try one of those next week.

On a previous trip here, I ordered a delicious sounding asparagus dish, imagining chargrilled green asparagus, with lovely mixed salad. I was hugely disappointed to find it was the white canned asparagus served ice cold with big piles of mayo and Rose Marie sauce on iceberg lettuce. I've never liked any of those things!!! Tonight I'm going to have some brown rice and spinach before we go out for dinner to take th edge off my appetite. Any advice you can offer would be most welcome :) Hope you have a great weekend xx
Suey51

Postby Reni » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:55 am

Good Morning!

Happy to report I'm down 5 pounds! :D :nod: Broke the 180's today with a weight of 189.

It's really working following MWL strictly! I've been eating recipes primarily from the Three Day Intensive Program as seen in these three videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soU2P1N ... x=3&t=555s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-MvcO4 ... 1Q&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjXQlFx ... 1Q&index=1

The things I may not be doing 100% MWL compliant is:
1) I may be eating too many legumes. I haven't been measuring them, so I'm not sure if I'm eating too much of them.
2) I have been drinking flavored water ( a packet with flavoring, stevia, and a little sugar). Also adding 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons of sugar in my chai tea at night.

But what I'm doing seems to be working, so I'm not ready to change anything just yet.

-Reni
Reni

Postby Bougainvillea » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:14 am

I'm up 1 pound.

I'm going to blame it on eating bananas and more almond milk than usual. Also, I used real sugar in my coffee this last week instead of calorie-free sweetener. So, I'll adjust those things, but I'm not worrying about it.

I love hearing everyone's stories. Well done everyone!
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Bougainvillea

Postby talita8 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:38 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have just done 2 months with this group. For the most part I have done mwl. But this last week I did Mary's Mini. I had veg at everymeal. Most breakfasts I had spinach and sweet potato. I ate when I felt hungry. I have stayed at my first goal weight. No loss no gain. I fell like I have not really enjoyed this way of eating. And I would enjoy a big salad sandwhich on whole wheat bread so much more. Which would satisfy me and wouldn't eat so much. Not sure if you will see me back next month. Being at goal weight is good. Thanks everyone.
talita8

Postby Purposive » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:08 pm

2 pounds lost. 224 -2 = 222 (Started at 238 October 4)
The weight loss has started to drag, but I can truthfully say I haven't been hungry. Each day it is easier to think less of food. I used to spend hours looking at the typical American food recipes. I no longer think or look at them, and instead I'm looking at gardening projects which I find relaxing. We eat so simply compared to our previous ways. While I'm doing the MWL plan it just seems easier to do it that way.
I really am once again encouraged by each ones journey, and look forward to each weeks weigh in. Keep up the determination - it's good for the soul.
Purposive

Postby Roxy59 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:13 pm

It was a tough week AND I am down 4.2 pounds. As I seem to be yo-yo-ing it will be interesting to see if I can keep the downward trajectory. Love Dr McDougall’s Quick recipe cookbook - sweet potatoes & apples a fave at family dinner! Here’s to a new week!
Roxy59

Postby amandamechele » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:53 am

Cathmc - You BBQ black bean and mango salad sounds delicious. It can be difficult to convince yourself but it really is all about the process because that's what is going to get you to that weight you want and keep you there. Easier said than done, I know. :) With regards to the green tea breakfast, I did kind of want to chew my arm off by lunch; but I thought posting a photo of that may be too horrific so I went with beans and rice instead...lol (I actually don't remember what I went with). Great work this week and enjoy your weekend with the grandkids.

Karen - I'm glad that you have such determination about eating this way and are slowly trying to find your path to a healthy outcome. I think your very small gain this week may be from the combined calorie density of a few of the items you are eating that aren't recommended (not necessarily just the white sugar or the bananas). If you continue to be stalled at weight loss, consider removing any or all of the following items: the boxed processed food such as the cereal, the whole wheat tortillas/bagels, the noodles and I know you are working on this, the nightly drink. All of the little off-plan items may not seem like such a big thing individually, but together they could be adding considerable calories and fat. You've got the right attitude not to let it worry you, just keep working on it.

Sue - What a fabulous analogy! Those real world situations can be tricky, but over time you can slowly sort through each of them and create a new response. The resources from Jeff and Dr. Lisle will help guide you. I'm impressed at how you have worked through so much and have such a great handle on where you are in the process.

Susan - I'm glad you are doing so well and enjoying the walking. Is a rebounder a mini trampoline? I love those. A food journal sounds like a wonderful idea to help you figure out where things can be improved. Congratulations on both your weight loss and improved blood worked this week. It's great to hear how receptive your doctor is to these changes. Thank you for sharing your journey of self-discovery with all of us. :)

Chris - Great choice, Jeff will have you re-motivated in no time. Best wishes this week.

Reni - Congratulations on entering a new decade, that always feels great!! Thanks for posting the intensive weekend videos, I'd never watched those. That food looks delicious. You can baby step your way towards the guidelines. :) That's how many of us have done it as well.

Talita - You're welcome and thank you for joining us for this part of your journey! Please feel welcome to check in again anytime you feel like you need a tune-up. Best wishes and don't let my farewell message stop you from joining us next month if you decide to do so. Sometimes a sandwich break, especially a salad sandwich, is exactly what you need.

Purposive - Wow, you are doing great! Congratulations. What kind of gardening projects have caught your eye? I love following everyone's journeys too, each one of them is unique but also in some ways similar to what we have all been through.

Roxy59 - Wonderful diligence this week. Yum, sweet potatoes and apples sound delicious.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:04 am

amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program