October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby artist516 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:18 am

Hello :D I would like to be part of the October group. I've been transitioning to wfpb diet for the last few weeks. I've seen the scale move a little (about 5 lbs) but I would like it to move much more than that. I have about 70 lbs to loose and want to give myself an edge to get this extra weight off. I used to compete in marathons and triathlons but with a demanding job all of that was put on the back burner. After 4 years of way too much eating out I decided I want to get in better shape than I originally was. I have found I am pretty out of shape compared to what I used to be and the extra weight makes it more difficult. Hoping to be back in fighting shape come the spring. Super excited and ready to get started!

-Christina
artist516

Postby Suey51 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:27 am

Namshealth wrote:When does the next one start?
I'm eager to begin!
Thanks!

Welcome Namshealth :-D First October weigh-in is on Friday. Post your weight loss for the week measured in pounds.

Welcome JAT74 and Christina :-D

Thanks Amy for sharing the summary-update on the MWL guidelines and links to the two newsletters. Very helpful x
Suey51

Postby Dadolf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:48 am

Am I too late? I was in bed last night scrolling through FB, and I saw Dr McDougall's post about joining this group. I thought why not, what I'm doing currently isn't budging the scale. I started on the McDougall plan in 2009, my weight was 132 lbs. I went down to 112 labs over the course of the year. And my husband was on-board too. Since then he's gone back to eating meat, having ice cream and cheese. Eggs. And bringing in unhealthy snacks like cookies and chips. I've had the cookies and chips,too, and this last summer I have done a lot of iced coffees from Starbucks with Almond milk and all those syrups! My weight is now 125 lbs and my work clothes are so tight every day is unpleasant.

This morning I had a bowl of oatmeal with 1/2 banana and blueberries. I've brought an approved lunch of potatoes, beans, and small green salad.

Darci
Dadolf

Postby Loren » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:01 am

Hello my name is Loren and would like to be part of the October group,I would like to lose 25 lb. I hope isn't too late to joint.
Loren

Postby sirdle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Hello pippi, katie3, purposive, namshealth, jat74, artist516, dadalf, and loren! ...

... and any others who may wander by.

This group does not have a 'start date' so you are not late and you can join any time.

Just post your weekly weight loss (or gain) in this thread on Friday morning and 'enegizer-bunny'-Amanda will keep track of the net loss (or gain) for the group.

In the meantime feel free to share your concerns (or success stories) and have a great week!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby cmarcie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm

New to the group as well. I am focusing on toning up at this point and I know that sugar and nut butters are my nemesis. I have already dropped 25ish pounds so far living the McDougall way. I know I can do better. I just need a little accountability.

Marcie
cmarcie

Postby amandamechele » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Pippi Lemon - Please feel free to call me Amy. :) (Or Amanda if you really want to...but its only my real name, not the one I actually go by...lol) Confused yet?

Namshealth - Weigh yourself today and then you can check in on Friday with your loss (or whatever happens) and post the difference between the 2 weighings. Otherwise you can just check in on Friday and we can start off with a zero weight loss and then see what happens the following week. You can get started right away! No need to wait.

JAT74 - Welcome, and best wishes this week. Be sure to check in with your loss/gain/0 on Friday, that's how we will add you to the weekly summary. Everyone who checks in on Friday (all day) or Saturday morning (due to time zone differences) will be included in the weekly summary.

Purposive - I'm glad your joining us, this can be a great year for you. You sound like a busy person! Be sure to check out all of the resources listed in the opening post. You can definitely get yourself on the right track. Be kind to yourself while you are learning and while we want (all of) you to do your best to follow the guidelines, we also want you continue to check in even if things aren't going according to plan. It will help build relationships that can keep you engaged in the process while you figure out what works for you. See you on Friday!

Christina - Welcome. :) We can definitely help support you while you work towards your goal. I've lost a great deal of weight by following the McDougall plan initially in many fits and starts, but over the years I managed to get myself well onboard. I, personally, don't do well with setting a time limit for weight loss, but if it helps motivate you to do your best, that's awesome. Dr. Lisle, who is the staff psychologist for the program, recommends setting micro-goals that you can control. He's done many webinars but I'm not sure which one contains that info..but they're all good. Getting back into marathon shape is an ambitious project. I look forward to one day hearing about your next race.
Here's the link to all of the webinars done by Dr. McDougall and Dr. Lisle and Mary and Dr. Lim over the last couple of years; they're informative and entertaining, so please (everyone) feel free to watch them while chopping or cooking or whenever strikes your fancy. McDougall Program Webinars

Sue - My pleasure! How's your week going?

Darci - Your food today sounds perfectly delicious. Welcome! It can be a bit more difficult when family members don't eat this way too, but totally doable. Many of us are in the same situation. We can commiserate about here...lol! If it truly is what you think is your main stumbling block, let us know. We can point out strategies that others have had success with.

Welcome Loren - Definitely not too late. We'd love to have you join the group.

Sirdle - I hope you're having a great week!

Marcie - Woo hoo! You've done great so far. We're happy to provide that accountability. What kind of exercise are you doing to tone up? :)
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:40 pm

amandamechele

Postby Suey51 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:38 am

My week's going well thanks Amy.

Had our neighbours in for drinks and nibbles at the weekend. It went really well and I ended up chatting to one couple about this way of eating. Their daughter is vegan and has recently lost weight by eating lots of starches (sounds familiar!) The recent news in the UK about a major chicken supplier fiddling safety dates had given them another reason to think about changing their diet. decided to 'treat' myself to some of the off-program leftovers afterwards, but have got back on track since Monday so I'm (just) holding steady at my goal weight :-) Apart from that blip, I've started to really enjoy eating plain/simple foods :) Most of my meals have been brown rice or potatoes with veggies.

Its been a good week on the exercise front. I've started going to a flamenco dance class. It's quite difficult but figured its good to challenge my body and brain in different ways!

How's your moving prep going?
Suey51

Postby Pippi Lemon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:46 am

Hi everyone, the thread is getting busy which is great.

Amy, thank you for the work you are putting in on the thread, it is appreciated. :-D

Also to Suey51 a fellow Brit, it’s nice to hear other people in the UK following the plant-based way of eating, as a rule when I mention it people tend to say ‘plant what?’. Lol...they probably think I’m strange enough let alone a woman that eats just plants, I gave up explaining a long while ago unless someone specifically asks and is interested.

Anyway, I’m off to my journal to record the lovely food I had yesterday.

:D
Pippi Lemon

Postby amandamechele » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:21 pm

amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Suey51 wrote:My week's going well thanks Amy.

Had our neighbours in for drinks and nibbles at the weekend. It went really well and I ended up chatting to one couple about this way of eating. Their daughter is vegan and has recently lost weight by eating lots of starches (sounds familiar!) The recent news in the UK about a major chicken supplier fiddling safety dates had given them another reason to think about changing their diet. decided to 'treat' myself to some of the off-program leftovers afterwards, but have got back on track since Monday so I'm (just) holding steady at my goal weight :-) Apart from that blip, I've started to really enjoy eating plain/simple foods :) Most of my meals have been brown rice or potatoes with veggies.

Its been a good week on the exercise front. I've started going to a flamenco dance class. It's quite difficult but figured its good to challenge my body and brain in different ways!

How's your moving prep going?

How wonderful for your neighbor's daughter.
Good for you for jumping right back into healthy eating after a blip. I want to hear all about your dance classes. I'm not very familiar with the Flamenco, but interested to hear more. I've taken salsa and lindy hop swing classes before. Dance class can be so fun! I'm excited for you.
Moving prep is moving along :lol: . Its crunch time with the date coming up and Canadian Thanksgiving x 2 and a wedding to go to this weekend. Thank you for asking.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Pippi Lemon wrote:Hi everyone, the thread is getting busy which is great.

Amy, thank you for the work you are putting in on the thread, it is appreciated. :-D

:D

My pleasure, Pippi Lemon. :) It helps to keep me focused and I enjoy hearing from everyone.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 pm

amandamechele

Postby Pippi Lemon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Good morning everyone.

Well it looks like I’m the first to post this morning and get the ball rolling for weigh in Friday.

My weight is...131.2lbs (which is exactly 1lb lost since I weighed a couple of days ago before I started)

I have to say I’m suprised the scale has budged at all, i would have been very happy with a couple of ounces as I don’t know if I have a huge amount to lose, but maybe I’m kidding myself. I would love to be back at about 123lbs, which I was about 10 yrs ago but then my body wasn’t post menopause and I was eating a very strict (no wiggle room) weighed and measured food plan. So, I’m interested in how this little experiment will go.

Really, I’m looking at the the long game, a way to simplify my eating, staying satiated, consistent and without excluding myself from society (which I have done when I’ve been too extreem with my food choices ie: 80/10/10 which is similar to being fruitarian).

Doug Lisle has been very interesting to listen too, I like his approach as a psychologist looking at our evolutionary behaviour and how that has effected our eating and need to overeat. It’s good to hear that people who overeat are not broken but extremely well adapted for survival (maybe too well..lol).

I must learn how to put a link to my journal in this thread, I see you do it Amy and I am enjoying reading about your process.

Blessings from Britain. X
Pippi Lemon

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program