October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Suey51 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:15 am

Happy Friday everyone,
I’m reporting a 0.4 pound gain for this week. As reported last week, after reaching my second weight loss goal, my current aim is to maintain my weight. I’m learning that weight maintenance is just as tricky as weight loss.

Lady M/Dee – well done on reaching your goal weight, an impressive achievement :-) Thank you. Yes, I agree that the biggest challenge is yet to come! Particularly after the last week LOL!

Talita – congrats on being so close to your goal. Your lowest weight since being a teenager – wow that’s brilliant :-)

Pippi Lemon – yes, I think I am getting to that point too. There’s so much resistance. People have been asking me how I lost the weight so I get sucked into the conversation even when I don’t plan to.

Amy – thanks for reminding me about the weekly McDougall webinar. I watched last week’s one with Antony Lim. This quote made me do a double take “it takes over 40 olives to make 1 tablespoon of olive oil”!!! it really puts the calorie density of olive oil into perspective! And makes me realise that having 6-8 olives with my salad in Spain was way better than having the olive oil they bring you to dress the salad.

Here’s a taster of flamencowith one of my fav Spanish guitar tunes :-D I’m only on my second class so a way to go haha! I’m partly doing it as a favour to a friend to swell class numbers, but I do love the music and the clothes ;-) One of the big reasons for me to lose weight was to reduce pain in one of my knees. Boy am I glad I did when I’m trying to stamp my feet in the class! If the knee continues to be OK, I’m also thinking of going back to tap dancing which I love.

I’ve also watched Doug Lisle’s ‘Dare to be lousy’ McDougall webinar this week. It’s about the process of learning new skills, whether they be in school lessons, learning to play the piano or, in my case, flamenco ;-) He says that it’s in the trying really hard, struggling and making errors when practicing that the improvement happens. I’m hoping this applies equally to following the McDougall program :)

So, in the words of The Redskins, a UK band from my youth, my motto for the next week is ‘keep on keeping on’.

Love and positive thoughts to all xx
Suey51

Postby sirdle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:20 am

A rough week, but still a 0.9 lb loss.

Much better than I deserve.
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby katie3 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:22 am

I'm reporting a 0.8 weight gain (126.4) this week which surprises me because I feel like I've been tight on my plan. But, I've been having some digestive issues so perhaps that's a factor. I'll stay the course and just keep working the actions that are important (movement, starches, vegetables, fruits, water). I've been stepping down into an experiment with the McDougall elimination diet to hopefully sort out my digestion. When I get back from out of town (more below), I'll likely be jumping full steam into an elimination diet.

In good news, I did a body fat analysis at my gym and learned that from 9/5/17 - 10/5/17 I lost 0.9 pounds of fat and gained 0.2 pounds of muscle. Good to know some of the work that I've been putting in prior to this October Weigh In Thread has been making an impact. :)

I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding out of town this weekend and will have lots of dinners and cocktail hours to navigate through, so wish me luck! My plan is to fly with a stockpile of sweet potatoes, land, head to Whole Foods and get a few more since I have a microwave and fridge in my hotel, and then prioritize eating those in between events and be able to just order salads at dinners, etc. Have a great weekend, all!
First goal: use McDougall & MWL principles to reach 120 lbs. (check!)
Second goal: MAINTAIN with healthy habits and reach 115 lbs.
Current weight: 118.2

katie3

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:21 am

Greetings Group Mates,

Welcome to all the new group mates too! So good to have you here.

I'm down 2 lbs this week. My daughter's birthday was yesterday and we all stayed in and had homemade falafels (just about my favorite thing now) and all the middle eastern fixings.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, healthy, productive week ahead!

Susan

Released: 28 lbs
zsilent1

Postby peach1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 am

I'm down 1.5 pounds so far. Thanks everyone!
peach1

Postby artist516 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:45 am

Good morning!

So for my first weigh in I am down 1 lb. It's a slow start but I will take it. Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday! :D

-Christina
artist516

Postby galooop » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:47 am

Gained 3 LBS (over the last 2 weeks)

I didn't weigh in last week, because i was out of town.
All that eating out in restaurants caught up with me.
sigh!

Wishing everyone and myself a good, on-plan week!
:-) Chris

PS Amy - I LOVE your thread: "I've lost count of how many times I have restarted...."
It makes me feel so much better about myself.
galooop

Postby Roxy59 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 am

Hello. I am brand new to this site and also new to discussion boards. Hoping this is where I post to join the October group.
I just returned from an amazing 10-day kayaking trip in the Great Bear Rainforest of British Columbia. A fellow vegan-eating passenger aboard our Mothership told me about Dr Mcdougall’s program. So I looked it up upon my return home.
I have been eating plant-based since January and love the difference in how I feel. however in the midst of a difficult summer for my aging Mom (she is 93 & I am only child and her primary caregiver) I have gained 20 pounds. And I was already trying to lose 20 for health reasons. So I have to right this ship!
My goal is to stay healthy & fit & active for a very long time! Looking forward to learning lots from the available resources and other participants. I have taken my baseline weight today. Hoping the external accountability of this group will be a motivating force!
Carpe diem!!!!!
Roxy59

Postby Pippi Lemon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 am

It’s great to see how everyone is doing. I love hearing all the stories about what people are doing in their life.

I want to comment on each and everyone but my brain has gone to mush after my first day back after a week off. I just wanted to say how appreciated it is to hear peoples honesty, challenges and successes.

Thank you Amy also for visiting my journal and explaining how to do a link, I will try it when my brain reassembles itself...lol...it might take a while as I’m back to work again tomorrow :duh:

Blessings
Pippi Lemon

Postby Purposive » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Good morning to all October sojourners. Just knowing that I was going to report today really helped me stay on course this week. To redirect my thinking I made a large slow cooker recipe from the Quick and Easy cookbook "Williams Crock Pot Chili page 138 and a large pot of brown rice. my husband and i both enjoyed the combo and I ate it three days in a row for lunch at work. Now looking for recipes that qualify for the coming week. I am happy to report a FOUR POUND weight loss (gotta love those first weeks where you drop the fastest).
My ultimate desire is to be a good example to those I work with in the medical field. I have several friends that have done well on the high protein low carb diets. I know actions speak louder than words, so have to refrain from telling them of a better way until I become a living example. So, with that said, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and encouragement.
Have a great new week everyone.

4 ponds lost 234 pounds and counting down!
Purposive

Postby BeHealthy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Hello all! I'm down 1 more pound this week. I finally feel like it's all coming together. Although my progress is slow, it is steady. I'm good with that!

I hope your weeks were good and next week will be one that allows you to follow the plan to the best of your abilities.

My biggest challenge next week will be getting in exercise. My side job is teaching and it's finals week next week. So, after spending the majority of time at my day job at a desk, I'll be coming home in the evenings and putting in 2-3 more hours of grading research papers and final exams. Lot's of sitting and some temptation for nibbling! I'll get through it and will be happy when it's over.

Have great weeks!
BeHealthy

Postby Jellogirl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:46 pm

I hope I'm not too late to join this October MWL group. I have multiple health challenges that demand my best effort. The one thing I'm trying different? Accountability in this group. Thanks for the opportunity to regain my health while losing what I hope is 130 lbs. and maybe ditch my wheelchair.
Jellogirl

Postby Georgie77 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi all! First time for me on a message board so I feel a little lost. lol! Can I also join the weight loss for October? I'm so motivated. :D :D :D
Georgie77

Postby amandamechele » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:59 pm

It's wonderful to hear so many new voices. Welcome all. It's getting late so I'll go through all of your posts tomorrow, but thank you for checking in!

Here is my daily food for this month's challenge:

Day 6 Amy's MWL Challenge

We'll chat tomorrow!!

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Moomoo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:53 am

I’m in. Today l weigh in at 15 stone (210 lbs). Been vegetarian for almost 30 years but the last year l have been vegan with a lot of lapses. I’m on it now. Also a celiac but that doesn’t get the symptoms so have broken that. I’m now very low, tired, my skin has dried out, my hair has not grown for well over a year. My birthday was a couple of days ago and l resisted a white toblerone! Maybe this means l am finally ready for a change. Have also been in and out of the potato diet.

Anyway lm I’m so thankyou for giving me a push in the right direction. Good luck everyone. Also hope l ‘m posting this in the right place . Xxx Moo
Moomoo

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program