October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby talita8 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 am

Hi Amy,
Thanks for the information on Anemia. I think we are the same as Canada, hence I am right at the bottom of the low range. I was shocked, seeing I nearly live on greens and legumes. But will be monitoring this.
Regards Talita
talita8

Postby zsilent1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:24 am

Hi Amy,

I didn't know about sumac being a salt replacement. I use it because a Persian friend told me about it. I like the tangy, lemony flavor. It is good sprinkled on veggies like potatoes etc. I've made za'atar and I put it in there too.

Susan
zsilent1

Postby Bougainvillea » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:28 am

zsilent1 wrote:Hi Amy and All,

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Here is the basic recipe I use for falafel. You can use fava (broad beans) or garbanzos/chickpeas. I put in alot of spices and I add about 1 tablespoon of sumac. They are pretty easy to make. Soak the beans overnight, put them in the food processor with the spices, onion etc. I never fry them. Bake. They are so good and you can make them any size your want. If you make them bigger (like small burger size) just bake them longer. My daughter likes them bigger.

Instructions for Baking:
1. With an oven rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Using your hands, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time. Shape the falafel into small patties, about 2 inches wide and ½ inch thick. Place each falafel on your pan.
4. Bake for 13 minutes, then remove the falafel from the oven and carefully flip each one. Return the pan(s) to the oven for another 13 to 15 minutes, until the falafels are lightly browned on both sides

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/falafel

Hope the link works. Tori Avey's recipe. She frys hers so I included instructions for how I bake them.

Susan

This looks so nice and easy and yummy. But, I haven't been able to find dry chickpeas when I've looked for them. Who carries them in store, or do you have to order them online? The recipe says it won't work with canned chickpeas. Thanks!
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Postby Bougainvillea » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:34 am

I thought I'd try uploading a photo of my normal breakfast. I'm making my own corn tortillas with the organic masa harina flour from Bob's Red Mill. They almost actually look like tortillas now LOL. But, they're still kind of small and a little too thick. They taste good, though.

I also started sprouting lentils to use as greens, as they're practically free that way. Today I added them to the breakfast tacos and it was good! Got the idea from an old video with Dr. McDougall and Mary about how she makes their burritos and she said they always add sprouts and I thought - good idea! I used to make my own sprouts a hundred years ago.

Otherwise, it's my go-to mixture of rice, beans and corn, and whatever random veggies sounded good at the time, that I had on hand. And, of course, hot sauce!

I'm all about paper plates nowadays. I hate washing dishes :-)

https://prnt.sc/gy4fds

Huh. Couldn't figure out how to upload a photo so you can see it in a post. But, I guess that's a good thing. This way you aren't forced to look at it if you don't want to LOL.
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Bougainvillea

Postby zsilent1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi Boogie,

I order beans from Wal Mart. If you order $35 or more you get free shipping. Most grocery stores carry dried beans like garbanzo/chickpeas. Falafels are easy to make and you can freeze them once they are baked. Around our house they don’t last long.

I love how good your tacos look! YUM! I make my own tortillas too. So good just masa and water. I invested in a tortilla press which works pretty darn good. I think I am perfectly happy eating this way! So healthy, wholesome and delicious! :)

Susan
zsilent1

Postby Svenja » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you all for your congratulations, well wishes and kind words regarding my exam!

Working hard on the 4 week count down for the next one!

Have a great week!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby amandamechele » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:08 pm

amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:06 am

amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 pm

amandamechele

Postby Cathmc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 am

Hello everyone.
Is it ok if I jump in here too. It´s about time I took this seriously and I think a drop of accountability will be a great help. I´ll weigh in tomorrow but I haven´t done so for a while. I´m a bit scared. :( I´ll post whatever the gain / loss ( doubt it will be a loss ) from the last time then take it from there.

Amy, loving the photos. Sounds like you´re going through an exciting time of life.

Look forward to getting to know you all more.
Cathmc

Postby Bougainvillea » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks for the tip that I can buy chickpeas from Walmart - somebody posted above. I did find them online and can order them and pick them up at the one just up the street for free (shipping).

Amy, I liked the salad/meal you made with what looked like fresh spinach and with a 3 bean salad on top? One of my biggest challenges when I look at a lot of the low-fat meals, is that they're too dry. I'm not going to sit down and eat raw veggies without some type of lubricant -uh, I mean dressing LOL. Same for eating veggies without butter. I still find that really hard.

If they're still wet from being boiled or steamed, I can eat them right away with just some salt on them. But, as soon as they dry out, I want some kind of sauce on them. I just haven't found many yummy no-fat condiments yet that I'm in love with. And I'm not a huge lover of vinegar anything as a rule. But, I do like the 3 bean salad idea, using that as a kind of dressing. Clever.

I don't mind potatoes with a little catsup, and I've been doing that this week - bought a 5 pound bag of red potatoes at Grocery Outlet for just $2.50 - score! They were a lower grade, where they are bigger than the ideal or were shaped funky, but just as tasty, even with the skins on, as the little baby version. Was craving french fries, but baking potatoes still isn't working so great for me - cut up and baked like fries without any oil. So, I boiled up some chunks and just ate them with a fork, dipping them in catsup and that was a good compromise.

But, I don't get how people just gag down a big bowl of brussels sprouts for instance, just dry. I eat a lot of soup for this reason. I never dream of butter when I'm eating soup LOL. I don't even mind dipping dry toast into it.

I just don't eat things that scream at me that they want butter or cheese on them. Best not to test temptation.

I woke up this morning craving a tuna salad sandwich! Then, that morphed into craving an egg salad sandwich. All I can figure is that my body is craving fat. I may splurge on an avocado. But, they're $2 in the stores right now! Which is probably a good thing - kept me from buying one. But, I'm wondering if my body needs some fat? I do have some peanut butter. Maybe a toast with some peanut butter if the craving persists will do the trick.

Trying to resist, though. I fluctuated up and am now back down to 193 (weight last Saturday morning). Am hoping to get that down to 192 for our next weigh in - so I have been resisting my fat urge lol. I want that 192!
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Bougainvillea

Postby amandamechele » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:23 am

Cathmc - Welcome! Yes, please jump on in. :) I understand how you feel about weighing yourself, those numbers hold a lot of power over your self esteem if you let them. This is your fresh start, so don't let those numbers hold you under the water, use them as a spring board to dive right in the MWL plan! (Ok, I may be reaching a bit with that metaphor...groan...but you see where I'm going :nod: ). Thank you...my life is definitely full of changes at the moment, and it is a whole bunch of fun...even the not so fun parts.

Karen - You're too funny! Yes, that is a three bean salad with, unfortunately for you, a vinegar and date dressing. It's sweet and tangy. It's taken me some time to appreciate the vinegars, and the hot sauces; maybe that will come in time for you and maybe not. Let's try to brainstorm some ideas to sauce things up for Karen. Does anyone have any ideas? I like a variety of mustards - yellow, Dijon, that sweet and spicy one I had today on my potatoes and honey mustard. I also do like to put stews and chili on my potatoes or rice and stir in my raw greens. It adds a bit of cold crunch to an otherwise warm dish. One of my favourites in that vein is brown rice, 3 bean chili and chopped romaine lettuce. There are many delicious BBQ sauces to try as well. I like those on twice baked potatoes and Jeff's steak fries. I am not, personally, a stickler about all of the ingredients in my condiments because if they're going to get me to eat the veggies and starch then I don't worry about a bit of added sugar or even salt. Changing your tastes can take time so if it helps you stay on track eat familiar sauces but do continue to try to avoid added oils. Have you tried Mary McDougall's Golden Gravy? Though it's not an MWL recipe, it can add flavour and sauciness to your food and may be a good fit for you.
With regards to you feeling like your body is needing some fat because you're craving it, it sounds like you may be going through that extinction curve of conditioned behaviours that Dr. Lisle talks about in his newer presentation.The Cram Circuit. Have you seen it yet? His advise is to not give into the craving, it will weaken over time and feeding it will reinforce it and make it stronger. He did a follow up today for the McDougall Webinar, I missed it because I forgot I live in a different time zone and didn't tune in on time. The replay for today's webinar will probably be available tomorrow or the next day.

Best wishes to everyone for Friday/Saturday weigh-in!
Amy

PS. Day 19 Amy's MWL Challenge.
amandamechele

Postby Cathmc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:10 am

Thanks for the welcome Amy.
Well, I got on the scale for the first time in 23 days and have gained nearly 2 lb. ( I think it would have been worse if I´d weighed myself last week mind you). You are right about the numbers on the scales, I´ve been thinking about it a lot this morning.
I´ll weigh myself again next Friday but I don´t want this to be just another way to lose weight. I want this to be my way of eating always and I worry about focusing only on the weight ( which has been my main thing for too many years ). Time I learned to accept myself and appreciate what I have.
Eating in the WFPB way has been very on and off for me these last few months but I feel I have turned a corner and am ready to really commit now.
I feel so much better in body, mind and spirit when I follow it correctly.
Anyway.... I think I may take the pressure off myself for the next few months till I really get the swing of it by only weighing in once a month or so.
:roll: Unless of course I suddenly gain loads of weight next week. LOL

Karen - If you like coriander I´ll post a recipe of a dip I bought in to work today to have with my veggies at lunch time.

I had " Golden Gravy" on my potatoes last night ;-)

Going to listen to the " The Cram Circuit " later on.

Good luck with the weigh ins everyone.
Cathmc

Postby Suey51 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:23 am

Hello everyone,
I'm reporting a 0.4 pound gain this week.

Had a really good week until yesterday when fatigue / PMT set in. Even the thought of today's weigh-in wasn't enough to stop me reaching for various unmentionable food items. They were lurking in the depths of cupboards as they are items my husband kindly keeps out of sight .... but my lizard brain knew exactly where they were and went for them yesterday :oops:

Back on track today!

Susan - thanks for the falafel recipe, it sounds great :)
Amy - well done on sticking to your eating plan through the current situation! Vancouver Island looks amazing :)
Anna - good luck with your move!
Karen - on the topic of wanting more moisture with veggies/salad ..... I sometimes use a little of this Jane Esselstyn 3-2-1 dressing recipe on salads : 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp maple syrup (or agave, etc). Like Amy, I heat up some soup and add some cooked brown rice or potatoes and then pour over raw or lightly steamed grains. Or use a little thick soup as a sauce on baked potatoes and veggies.
Jeff - thanks for the encouragement :)

I was looking through a notebook recently where I randomly journal things. In January 2012 I went to a personal development workshop at a local yoga centre and jotted down these words: "you're never just an acorn, there's an oak tree on your side calling to you". I'm not sure of their origin but I found them inspiring at the time and thought you might too.

PS I'm going to be away from the home scales for the next couple of Fridays so please count me as a zero.

Love and positive thoughts to everyone xxx
Suey51

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 am

Hello and Happy Friday Group Mates!

I'm coming in at 0 lbs lost this week. Just gotta keep on keeping on.

Susan
zsilent1

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program