76-day lurk-in, errrr....LOOK in

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

76-day lurk-in, errrr....LOOK in

Postby wildgoose » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:23 am

Hello,

I am a lurker in this group, because weekly weigh-ins just get me off track for some reason. But I read and learn and silently cheer everyone on.

I've been doing 95% MWL for all but 2 weeks of the last 76 days. Huh? OK, I have one salad dressing that doesn't meet guidelines, which I need to find a replacement for. And I had 3 wobbly days, which led to one awful day, which put 4 pounds back on, which took a week and a half to recover from (hence the 2 weeks). Otherwise, it's been solid MWL.

But having said that, here's the good news. I have lost 22.4 pounds. I am almost out of the "overweight" BMI range. (height 5' 10.5", weight 178)

I've figured out something that works for me. The way to stay on MWL is to (no drumroll here).... stay on MWL. Keep it really simple. Rice, Yukon Gold potatoes, or sweet potatoes with chopped salad or vegetables (usually broccoli). When the weather is cool, one of 3 homemade bean/veggie stews or chili. Steel-cut oats with flax meal and blueberries. A banana, apple or orange for dessert at one meal. Usually 2 meals a day. Done.

Anything flour is an instant trigger. So is pasta. Rice cakes are easy to overeat. Sugar is a huge Pleasure Trap. As long as off-plan foods stay out of the house, I can stay on the program. I mostly don't eat out. I have one Chinese restaurant well trained on steamed veggies and veggie sushi, and I get carry-out when I just can't stand to cook one more meal (maybe 1 or 2x/week).

I'm working on cutting down on salt. BP readings have gone from 160/95 to 120/80, so something is working there.

I could be better, and I know I'll have to be as I get closer to my goal. But for now, I'm satisfied with my progress.

Onward and downward!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Re: 76-day lurk-in, errrr....LOOK in

Postby sirdle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:48 am

Very nice progress, Goose! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Yomom » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:07 am

Goose, congratulations.
What three bean/stew recipes do you favor?
Kathy
Yomom

Postby wildgoose » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am

Yomom wrote:What three bean/stew recipes do you favor?

Well, Kathy, "recipe" might be a little bit of a stretch for these concoctions. :lol: They start out to be soup, but I add so much stuff that they usually turn out thick, more like a stew, which is what I like.

I make a lentil chili with red lentils, lentil broth, garlic, onion, chopped tomatoes (makes it thicker), diced tomatoes, pinto beans, kidney beans, chili powder and cumin. I'm working on a black bean chili along these same lines but haven't got it quite right yet.

I make a minestrone-like thick soup with 15-bean soup mix (throw away the seasoning packet), garlic, onion, diced tomatoes, corn, basil, oregano, cumin, and sometimes brown rice pasta (not MWL but easy to leave out and serve the soup ladled over brown rice or sweet potato).

My other favorite is a lighter soup that uses cannelini beans and chickpeas, veggie broth, diced russet potato, celery, onion, carrot, garlic, diced tomatoes, corn, basil, Italian seasoning and dried parsley,

If any of them sound good to you and you want amounts of ingredients, let me know and I'll try to write it out for you. I'm more of a "throw stuff in the pot and see what works" kind of cook.

Goose
wildgoose

Postby amandamechele » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:05 pm

Congratulations Goose!! :-D You've been doing great!

Amy
amandamechele

Postby wildgoose » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Now 131 days, and 35 pounds lost. BMI 23.4. I haven't seen this weight in a long time! 15 pounds to go.

It's Thanksgiving Day here in the US. I'm so thankful. First and foremost to Dr. McDougall, who gave me a way to get my health back, along with a way to achieve lasting weight loss. Also to Dr. Doug Lisle and Jeff Novick, who kept me from losing my mind and showed me that the simple way is the best way. And to the many forum folks, including the Star McDougallers, who give so much inspiration and support.

Thank you! Onward and downward.

Goose
wildgoose

Postby amandamechele » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:00 am

Congratulations Goose!!

I wish you all the best as you continue.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby roundcoconut » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:44 pm

wildgoose wrote:I've been doing 95% MWL for all but 2 weeks of the last 76 days. ... And I had 3 wobbly days, which led to one awful day, which put 4 pounds back on, which took a week and a half to recover from (hence the 2 weeks). Otherwise, it's been solid MWL.

Yes! So glad to hear this. It DOES take a lot of practice. Of course, always remember that you “practiced” sloppy patterns for decades, so you will want to “practice” your good habits for many, many months, before you can turn them over to your auto-pilot entirely. You can do this! :)

wildgoose wrote:I've figured out something that works for me. The way to stay on MWL is to (no drumroll here).... stay on MWL.... Usually 2 meals a day. Done.

I agree with this too. My former self likes to eat full meals many times a day, or wants to get into the nut butters and the breads, but my former self also was pissed off that she couldn’t fit into her superskinny jeans, so I’ve left THOSE mistakes behind. We are smarter now! It’s funny how the patterns are so similar from one human to another — your weak points are so similar to mine, because we are both subject to the Pleasure Trap!

wildgoose wrote:As long as off-plan foods stay out of the house, I can stay on the program. I mostly don't eat out. I have one Chinese restaurant well trained on steamed veggies and veggie sushi, and I get carry-out when I just can't stand to cook one more meal (maybe 1 or 2x/week).

Yep. Totally agree with you on this one! Don’t buy stuff that you’ll overeat on, because then you’ll overeat on it. How simple, but what a learning curve it’s been.

So glad to see you doing this! :)
roundcoconut

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program